Which offensive pets are better?

VVarriorX - Harshlands
VVarriorX - Harshlands Posts: 8 Arc User
edited August 2010 in Venomancer
I plan on making a veno alt and don't want to waste anytime leveling her. Also I dont want to waste any cash for say oracles or legedary pets atm. So heres my question. Which pet is going to kill faster for quests and ect. I'm stuck between the Varicose Scorpion and the Shadow Ranger and i can't seem to find a straight answer. One has higher attack the other has higher attack speed. Also lot has changed since the tideborn expansion which air pet kills faster (other then the pheonix). I know the sawfly was best but now theres a couple of new pets out there.

Other then that is there any other strategies to leveling a veno fast that doesn't cost.
Post edited by VVarriorX - Harshlands on

Comments

• thumbs
    thumbs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Both are pretty good, but for grinding I'd go with Shadow Ranger / Dark Wanderer.
  • Manakel - Dreamweaver
    Manakel - Dreamweaver Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Varicose Scorpion ftw :D It has the highest attack among non-legendary pets, actualler the dark wa,derer hits faster but has a lower attack than the scorpion. So just get your first taming quest at lvl 3, choose the scorpion and stick to it.
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8149449004&dateline=1294904331[/SIGPIC]
    Dreamweaver chars:
    Zahikel 101 Cleric, Celestial Demon
    Manakel 100 Veno, Demon (semi-retired)
    Kaeden 93 Archer, Demon
    Asthariel new Mystic :3
  • Vixter - Harshlands
    Vixter - Harshlands Posts: 1,275 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    scorpie :D its cuter and old skool xD

theres a topic about this almost every week, and the answers will stay the same. ranger = faster, scorp=harder hits. they both are about the same over all. its really up to u, and which one u think looks better, or which starter skills u would rather have.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vixter (101 Heavy Veno) ~ TT farmer
    Peachie (102 Mystic) ~ Main character
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    There doesn't seem to be any significant difference although this is an issue that might be only settled when someone actually bothers to make a calculation of the dps for both pets. It's not that difficult really, although for most of us, being comitted to other pets, looking through threads for the pertinent info does seem a bit of a bother. Ecatomb was actually working on this really cool listing that would calculate dps for you and even took Bash into account but i'm not sure if the thing is up and running as it should at the moment.

I would say go for the one you like the most however, dps difference is unlikely to prove that significant, or else someone would have probably posted a thread already triumphantly claiming the superiority of one over the other. Whichever pet you choose i would recommend keeping it's main aggro skill up to level if you really are comitted to getting the most from it. Bash is the obvious choice for PvE, although you may want to consider a couple of other skills if you want to fully take advantage of your pet. Howl, will help increase your own dps and is an obvious consideration for inclusion, as are elemental bashes or Ream if you're considering using it as a back up for PvP. Finally Tough or Threaten would make good choices if you'll be foregoing the use of the de rigueur Walker.

Finally, i don't think i can stress enough the importance of keeping your pet up to level, if you'll be going as fast as you can through the use of dailies you may want to consider regularly using the cube to mantain your pet up to par. An underleveled pet will certainly fail to perform up to the expectations of a dps pet.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Here's what it comes down to really, and hopefully this is slightly more informative than faster vs harder hits.

A Dark Wanderer has better base damage output, the reason is because it appears to be a 7 on the growth chart although its chart only says it's a 6 (the chart being wrong isn't an isolated incident, so this is nothing new). For comparison a scorpion has a 6.

A scorpion on the other hand has higher damage output when you're using skills. The reason for this is that because of the way pet skill damage works, pets that have higher attack but slower attack rates gain more damage using a skill than a pet with the same damage output but a lower attack/faster attack rate would. In the case of a scorpion which attacks pretty slow and has a rather high attack, this is actually enough to make up for it having lower attack growth overall.

I can't say for sure that this holds true for all levels but when a scorpion/wanderer have been compared at level 100 the wanderer beats the scorpion in damage output by 11.21% when skills aren't being taken into account and by 3.02% when one skill is being accounted for. However if you're using more skills than that (and making sure you're using them as soon as their cooldowns are finished) the scorpion takes the lead with 2.98% more damage at two skills and 7.94% more damage with three skills. Four skills wasn't calculated but you could expect it to be around a 13% bonus in favor of a scorpion.

Something to keep in mind though is that skills generate aggro, and because of their relatively short cooldown+damage component bash and elemental bashes are a lot of aggro. If you want the pet to be high aggro so it can hold aggro on whatever comes along, a scorpion would be the better pet. On the other hand, if you want the pet to provide damage without generating more aggro than necessary a wanderer will work better for you.

My choice is a wanderer because in situations where I want to be using a DD pet, I'm not wanting others to be fighting my pet for aggro so the skills are turned off. Plus, venomancers aren't a class you can lazily play well, another factor I find in favor of the wanderer is it's a pet I can send at a mob and then forget about until it needs a heal. In order to get the most from a scorpion I would be sending it, firing off skills, unsummoning it, resummoning it to clear aggro, and having it attack again. In short it would add a lot more button clicks to playing, when well played venomancers (atleast the casters) are already ridiculously high on that to begin with.
    There doesn't seem to be any significant difference although this is an issue that might be only settled when someone actually bothers to make a calculation of the dps for both pets. It's not that difficult really, although for most of us, being comitted to other pets, looking through threads for the pertinent info does seem a bit of a bother. Ecatomb was actually working on this really cool listing that would calculate dps for you and even took Bash into account but i'm not sure if the thing is up and running as it should at the moment.

He's still working on it. I just took a look at it when making this post actually, hoping it would save me searching for the old scorpion vs wanderer dps values or having to recalculate them but his dps calculations aren't working right yet.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited August 2010
    Great post Brael, i think you really gave some good perspective on the advantages of one pet vs the other.b:victory
  • VVarriorX - Harshlands
    VVarriorX - Harshlands Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Well I think i'll go with the scorpian. It auto uses bash so that isnt bad and i dont mind clicking a extra button for a skill. If it pulls agro im just gunna troll the fail tank lol. Also my 2nd question. Is the sawfly still the highest for pve dmg dealing or?
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Yes, the sawfly is best, except for the phoenix. It barely edges out the cloudfish, though, if you prefer that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • kenlee
    kenlee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Well I think i'll go with the scorpian. It auto uses bash so that isnt bad and i dont mind clicking a extra button for a skill. If it pulls agro im just gunna troll the fail tank lol. Also my 2nd question. Is the sawfly still the highest for pve dmg dealing or?
    right click on any active pet skill you want to 'auto use' and it will automatically use it after cooldown. you dont have to click bash every single time if its a 2nd pet skill and not first
  • Cij - Harshlands
    Cij - Harshlands Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Hey its VVar this is my veno i was just talking about in the begining. So to add onto the offensive thread i got a new question lol. What are some good skills to put on my scorpian?
  • xxxdsmer
    xxxdsmer Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2010

if you're in HH and you leave bash on on your scorp and it dies, you asked for it. b/c just normal hits is enough to get agro from a barb with a pet unless you regulate the damage by stow+summon or just have the pet wait a bit.

maybe even on fb/world bosses, with bash on. scorpion makes alot of damage on its own and putting bash on there's like having an archer go buck wild with sparks and crits, or a bm go crazy with dragons, crits, and zerks.

you have to be smart playing veno. if you're not going to be, then stick to bm lol.
    i'm pro all classes, and against none in particular..
    but the age old QQ about venos is just that. OLD.
    QQ'd about a nix lately? check out this thread n tell me who's "OP" lol..
    (copy and paste this to address bar):
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=102172
  • Cij - Harshlands
    Cij - Harshlands Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    xxxdsmer wrote: »
    if you're in HH and you leave bash on on your scorp and it dies, you asked for it. b/c just normal hits is enough to get agro from a barb with a pet unless you regulate the damage by stow+summon or just have the pet wait a bit.

maybe even on fb/world bosses, with bash on. scorpion makes alot of damage on its own and putting bash on there's like having an archer go buck wild with sparks and crits, or a bm go crazy with dragons, crits, and zerks.

you have to be smart playing veno. if you're not going to be, then stick to bm lol.

Well Mr ? guy. I'm sorry but a Barb is posed to be a better agro holder. Arnt they the prime tank class? lol. Owell doesnt matter if i do i can just rez and turn off bash.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited August 2010
    Well Mr ? guy. I'm sorry but a Barb is posed to be a better agro holder. Arnt they the prime tank class? lol. Owell doesnt matter if i do i can just rez and turn off bash.

Actually, he's right. All characters get their damage reduced when going against (?) bosses, such as those in TT, but pets don't. This makes them great DD, but also poses a risk which is the reason why, unless you really do know what you're doing, the rule of thumb is to turn off your pet skills, as their relatively high dps combined with the hate produced by skill activation is likely to overwhelm even the most capable of tanks. While the most likely scenario is for the boss to simply stomp your pet, there certainly is always a risk element involved on the tank loosing aggro, and you'll be forcing DDs to somewhat gimp their damage for a bit. It is rude and inconsiderate to risk a wipe (however small the chance) only because you can't handle your pet's threat level.

DD is one of the roles for veno and, just as much as with other classes, this involves more than merely damage output.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Causing a boss to switch targets resets the delay on their casting skills, so if a barb is interrupting they'll miss an ae. They'll also potentially miss one more getting the mob back onto them depending on their cooldowns. Simply having your pet stomped isn't a big deal, but you do damage to the squad (and potentially kill someone) when your pet steals aggro at a bad time.