Is spending money a requirement for success?

2»

Comments

• Ladidel - Raging Tide
    Ladidel - Raging Tide Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Aside from necro,

You can be very sucessful without spending money on this game. You can have great gears and such, however, you must plan ahead.

Learn to merchant items, farm instances. It will take time, but things work out at the end. b:pleased

My only regret in this game, I should have starting merching waaaaaaaaay earlier....

Now a days its not true; specially if you arent high level and only have average gear, average wings and not mount. Only merchanting (buy low, sell high) could be a profitable option, but is bored, its not easy at all (specially now a days) and have other particular inconveniences.

Not be Veno, cleric or barb are aggravatings for this problem, because the stupid way in what usually are distributed the drops in the TT runs.
  • Amencat - Sanctuary
    Amencat - Sanctuary Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    dont even TRY to play this game WITHOUT spending money AND having fun!

your choises are:

1. play for free -> means not enough coins for skills/potions/armor, beeing jealous on every other player with cool fashion/mount/flys...
    2. spending a TON of time grinding for DQs, then spending even MORE time trying to sell it, trough auctioneer, and loosing every fun on the playing...
    3. not spending any coins for your character, just trying to survive with **** gear and then use the collected money for merchanting, trough beeing online with catshop night and day -> spend a lot of real money in electricity
    4. cashhopping and spending insane cost for every little damn thing b:chuckle

so have fun ;)
    Some Rules each PWI Gamer should know
    1. Dont break this rules & no matter what: DONT TRUST ANYONE!
    2. Dont pay wine or heads fee (like to get kicked after that?) b:chuckle
    3. Dont borrow items (since when return gms scammed stuff?) b:embarrass
    4. Dont use your password in faction-forums (like hacks?) b:fatb
    5. Dont give your mats to the tt-banker (obvious, not?) b:beg
    6. Dont wait for help, or heals, or any other miracles,... (for more examples just play pwi and you will hate the whole humanity) b:bye
  • Mraochan - Lost City
    Mraochan - Lost City Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Thread's 3 months old guys >< Necro much? b:chuckle
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    There's an extremely small amount of cash shoppers that are better equipped than the non, and the difference is small. If you plan to win by paying cash, you'd be better off buying a house in real life and renting that out.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Boogiepanda - Raging Tide
    Boogiepanda - Raging Tide Posts: 4,682 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Merchanting is hard? I wonder how much the human race is degrading by every minute....
  • Ladidel - Raging Tide
    Ladidel - Raging Tide Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    tweakz wrote: »
    There's an extremely small amount of cash shoppers that are better equipped than the non, and the difference is small. If you plan to win by paying cash, you'd be better off buying a house in real life and renting that out.

You know that you are lying.

There are a extremely small amount of Mayor Cash Shoppers (more than 10000 USD invested in the game) that are like gods in the earth; and there are a considerable amount of occasional Cash Shoppers like me (I ve spend between 100 and 200 USD in game); and I can tell you for my personal experience, that the difference between me and other players of my level are actually big.

Besides the amount of occasional Cash Shopers go increasing, while they go reaching higher levels. Even more; now a day (after the last updates), I cant imagine a successful end game character, if somebody had not spent MUCH real money on this character.
  • Noskrad - Heavens Tear
    Noskrad - Heavens Tear Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Follow the assassin's philosophy:

1. Ignore stupid words from those who hate you and try to make you feel inferior, cuz they're more than what you can hear.

2. Wait patiently till your target is virtually in your hand, then go for it.

-_-
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination. X3
  • Typhyse - Sanctuary
    Typhyse - Sanctuary Posts: 3,469 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Follow the assassin's philosophy:

1. Ignore stupid words from those who hate you and try to make you feel inferior, cuz they're more than what you can hear.

2. Wait patiently till your target is virtually in your hand, then go for it.

-_-

Amen Brother Fishb:victory
    Demon_Troll: "takes on the appearance of an innocent archer but turns into a mindless idiot once you hear him speak"
    ~Spazz~
  • vbarbie
    vbarbie Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    That's exactly the point of ANY 'Free to play' game .. Free to play games are free to play , you can play , but to win you have to pay.. so OBVIOUSLY Y E S !!
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    No.You don't not need to spend rl money to succeed in this game as I have seen lots of Venos have great looking stuff and know they aren't cash shoppers.I would say No unless there is something like a mount or airmount you want right away.

I have spent nearly close to 1000 on this game and I am no where near as rich as non cash shooper.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • bibbibi
    bibbibi Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    lol some of these comments are funny.
    Non cash shoppers succeeding? where and when?

Unless you mean old players that had the luck to play before the messed up patches there aren't any.

If you want to be competive in this life time yes you need to spend real life money.
    If not you can always farm 24/7 for months till you get what you need.

If you make new char you'll pretty much want to quit around level 60.
    Simply cause you're weak, cause you're poor with crappy gear, and cause you'll have done the cultivation for those awesome level 59 skills which you won't be able to afford.
    If you choose a DD char, making money will be really hard at those levels,
    Also farming mats as you go won't work that well if you choose a pvp server
    or if you don't have a mount to avoid getting looted.
    (being too slow to get to your mat and all-remember you're not the only one thinking to farm lol)
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    bibbibi wrote: »
    lol some of these comments are funny.
    Non cash shoppers succeeding? where and when?

Unless you mean old players that had the luck to play before the messed up patches there aren't any.

If you want to be competive in this life time yes you need to spend real life money.
    If not you can always farm 24/7 for months till you get what you need.

If you make new char you'll pretty much want to quit around level 60.
    Simply cause you're weak, cause you're poor with crappy gear, and cause you'll have done the cultivation for those awesome level 59 skills which you won't be able to afford.
    If you choose a DD char, making money will be really hard at those levels,
    Also farming mats as you go won't work that well if you choose a pvp server
    or if you don't have a mount to avoid getting looted.
    (being too slow to get to your mat and all-remember you're not the only one thinking to farm lol)
    What from the boutique will exactly make you rich and how much will it all cost to get it?Those 59 skills are free it is the 79 skills.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • anwynd
    anwynd Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    imo unless your good at merching & arent impatient & dont get bored easy yea you could prob get the stuff you wnt but other wise i would say you arent going to get anything you wnt anytime soon with out spending a littleb:cry
    Collector of pet eggs, armor, weapons, fashion, and mountsb:chuckle
  • SugarPrinces - Sanctuary
    SugarPrinces - Sanctuary Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    well i dont buy gold/xen, i farm coin to buy gold from ah if theres something in there i really absolutely need (currently cupboard stones for my alts) but theres usually ways to get what you need/want without goin about the whole spending money thing.. the offers section here on site has some surveys and stuff u can do to get a little xen (how i got my +1 spotted skymanta) but not alot. once you get up high enough in levels the coin drops from mobs and, even with the now nerfed prices, cashing in DQ drops, can actually make you a fair amount.. if i spend about 30 mins or so runnin around the swamps killing everything in sight, i can walk out of there with a good 75-100 coin, and since i'm a caster, repairs are cheap unless i go into foxform. if you wanna just play and have fun and arent concerned about crazy expensive mounts or crazy expensive fashion, you can do fine without spending a dime.. TT gear, starting at level 60, u *can* farm the mats for yourself, just hop into a random tt squad every now and then (and dont forget to level your crafting skills) and they're pretty much free to make after a few good runs to get you what mats you need. for me i was wearing my lvl30 rank gear up until about 50-ish and still did fine. Now if you wanna go runnin around dueling or pk'n against people that are likely charmed, either level your apothecary skill regularily and decomp every 2-star and lesser that you pick up for chi stones and make a bucket load of damage reduction charms, or kiss your behind goodbye as as soon as you think you're doin good, their charm ticks and back to full hp

at the lower levels at first it may seem as tho you need to spend money to get anything decent, you really dont.. make a trip to the tailor and pick out what gear you want and the mats you need for it and memorize those, then as you're running around leveling, farm the mats you see that you need and make your own gear, sometimes you may get lucky and make something pretty darn good that'll last ya a good 10 levels. most of the time while leveling thru the lower levels you'll get quests that'll reward you with some ok gear, not spectacular but if you're good and leveling fast, theres no sense buying expensive gear as it'll just be useless in a week anyways

your skills do get kinda expensive as you level up, i think my level 10 bramble cost me about 120k, and everything else on my list is around the same price, but its not imperative you level your skills to the max as soon as you can, just usefull, you can still make it by with the lesser level skills, and upgrade them when you can afford to, and just upgrade the main ones, and you'll do fine in the game without spending a dime. i've never owned a land mount on any of my chars, all my fashion items i found in catshops for 100k or less (u get lucky with that every now and then, someone just wants to get rid of it asap) and aside from my skymanta i talked about before, all my chars have the default flyers (ironic the clerics natural wings you get when you start end up being faster then the ones you get at lvl 30 once you up your flying mastery)

You get lucky every now and then, as in the case of my sin, and got a mold drop in an instance for some pretty nice lv4 daggers, with a level 20 requirement, that have lasted me over 10 levels and still do more damage then anything else i can buy for my level now, spend 95k or so at a catshop for a 1-star refine orb for somethin like that and you're set for a good 15 or more levels, at which point you'll likely get something pretty decent from a quest reward

sooo to make my already too long post short.. (oops sorry, got off on a tangent there) yeah you may need to spend some real money eventually, but not for the first, oh, 90 levels or so. Slow down leveling around 65-ish and take time to feed your genie, all the while killin mobs and farming dq items (even with the nerfed prices, they're still the best source of income aside from tt mats, which you'll need anyways) craft as much as you can (to both up your skills and sometimes get some decent items out of it).. oh and try not to port around if you can help it, biggest coin sink in the game i swear.. 8k coin to port 50 feet to the left.. insane. and you'll be juuuust fine till endgame
  • Noskrad - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2010
    Amen Brother Fishb:victory

b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (\__/)
  • Noskrad - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2010
    And well, if you compare this game with any other f2p games I played before, at least this one have a way to exchange your in game money for gold (real money). So it's an advantage here which U don't get in any other games, it makes it easier to get things without real money.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (\__/)
  • Okeano - Harshlands
    Okeano - Harshlands Posts: 4,943 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    What's your definition of success?

Will you have the best gears on the server without spending money? Probably not. Can you still be financially well off and have nice endgame gears (or pets) without spending money? Of course.