World Chat

Options
burntmeat
burntmeat Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2010 in General Discussion
world chat has gotten bad on Raging Tides, it needs moderated or something, people either dont care or are just plain evil. ppl shud remeber there is real ppl with real feelings behind the chars, and anything can push some1 over the edge to commit suicide or hurt themselves because of what people say.yes its just a game..but mmos you put yourself in ur chars.
Post edited by burntmeat on

Comments

• RainbowVidel - Sanctuary
    RainbowVidel - Sanctuary Posts: 1,316 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Most of the time, I leave WC off completely. It's not like you're required to watch it.
  • Archers_Soul - Lost City
    Archers_Soul - Lost City Posts: 746 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Ppl need to learn how to use black list. Ppl are just havin fun on WC and if some ppl don't like that its their problem. Just black list ppl u don't like to see on WC or stop being so stuck up and laugh at the absurd things on WC.
    I don't care how old or young you are, how small your **** is, how much of a nerd irl you are or how depressed you are that you never will get laid. There is no reason to act like an A-hole to everyone on an mmorpg. Its a shame that I have to take time out of my day to tell people "stop being an A-hole". So I end with this, if your acting like an A-hole, and some one tells you your being an A-hole chances are your being an A-hole.
  • NightRage - Raging Tide
    NightRage - Raging Tide Posts: 1,582 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    When I want somebody to feel bad about themselves, I usually find that PMs or forums are the most effective method. I just use world chat for bull****ting around.
  • SerenityMare - Dreamweaver
    SerenityMare - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,211 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    We -as in players- can't stop these people from talking because to them that's having fun. If you don't like it or the others that you claim will get hurt are upset, just turn it off. This is not an excuse that the way they have fun is right but no one can watch or moderate the chat 24/7 because the GMs have a life and need to take care of other things as well. WC can get annoying on all servers and all you can do is just turn it off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    One similar thread was posted recently.

Between people who want a better moderated chat and those who say it's contrary to personal freedom... It's an endless fight.

I am for the former, by the way, but I think this problem comes from the culture of gamers here, and should have been managed from the start, or would be enforced now with super strict rules (which will do no good).
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~
  • Lylfo - Dreamweaver
    Lylfo - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    whats a world chat and how do i do that irl?
    Thanks Chillum for the nice Sig.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Turn world chat off if it bothers you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • XShadowx - Harshlands
    XShadowx - Harshlands Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Im going to start sleicing myself and commit suicide cuz i got bullied on WC b:sadb:cry

Cool Story, go buy tele's and join in, will make you feel better b:victory
  • XxRaynaHeart - Sanctuary
    XxRaynaHeart - Sanctuary Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    burntmeat wrote: »
    world chat has gotten bad on Raging Tides, it needs moderated or something, people either dont care or are just plain evil. ppl shud remeber there is real ppl with real feelings behind the chars, and anything can push some1 over the edge to commit suicide or hurt themselves because of what people say.yes its just a game..but mmos you put yourself in ur chars.

To be honest, I think those who are hurt through computer related/ technology related things are stupid. [Stupid, just to be PG-13] These are words that are pixels, some people who commit suicide over pixels need to learn that they need to stop being total wimps [Wimps, to be PG-13 again.] and get over themselves. You shouldn't wallow in your self pity because someone said something "offensive" in an MMORPG.

If I was a person being "offended" in WC in PWI, I wouldn't give two flying s**ts [Most PG-13 word I can think of] about what other people think.

It's true, people don't care, and nobody should care at all. In the real world feelings don't mean s**t.

If you don't like it, turn WC off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MizukiMinoru ll Charisma Executor ll Active
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Ppl need to learn how to use black list. Ppl are just havin fun on WC and if some ppl don't like that its their problem. Just black list ppl u don't like to see on WC or stop being so stuck up and laugh at the absurd things on WC.
    maybe for the over sensitive pple but i think the OP is talking about the blatantly mean ones.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Altherous - Raging Tide
    Altherous - Raging Tide Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    yes it helps..but i have seen screenshots ..of 300 pms..all reported for harassment, different names same person by thiewr style of writing and none have been banned..blacklist only holds 150 names
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    HexOmega - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,342 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    whats a world chat and how do i do that irl?

1. get a megaphone
    2. get naked
    3. go to a crowded place/shopping area
    4. feel free to start worldchatting

----

uhm op
    fun stops when someone really tries to *hurt* you as a person,
    this is where a screen->ban comes in handy

but we dont need 24/7 total gm control over worldchat lols

they can judge by common sense who of u two is the ....tree! D:

*i made my point to wc clear in another thread lol
    i like potato
  • Lylfo - Dreamweaver
    Lylfo - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    1. get a megaphone
    2. get naked
    3. go to a crowded place/shopping area
    4. feel free to start worldchatting

----

uhm op
    fun stops when someone really tries to *hurt* you as a person,
    this is where a screen->ban comes in handy

but we dont need 24/7 total gm control over worldchat lols

they can judge by common sense who of u two is the ....tree! D:

*i made my point to wc clear in another thread lol

:O
    Hex youve done it before? b:mischievous

@topic
    I don't really care much about world chat. Nothing to comment too.
    Thanks Chillum for the nice Sig.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DethByPurple - Lost City
    DethByPurple - Lost City Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    burntmeat wrote: »

Welcome to the Internet. I hate to be insensitive, but people need to not take these things so seriously. If you're thinking suicidal thoughts because someone is making fun of you online, fix the problem yourself, and the best way to do that is to ignore it. Nobody said you had to read what they say about or to you or even respond to it.

And if the mods decide it's getting bad, they'll pull out the banhammers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+1
  • haybails
    haybails Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    It's an unfortunate indictment of modern society that people think the only way to be someone is to be abusive and, to use an extraordinary number of expletives in regular speech. It is clear that some are this way inclined because they can't think of any other words to use or any other way to be.

What to do about the state of world chat..? If it is not personally pointed at yourself, who should take action on it and how? There is nothing to say that you can't or shouldn't if you believe it is overstepping the mark, however, does the target of the abuse see it that way? Is it really relevant how the target views it? Who's job is it to monitor the game chats?

Maybe someone should send examples of what is going on (how bad it is getting) to the GM's so they can decide... I don't think it will make any difference, they sadly seem unaware and unconcerned about anything and everything else...
  • Sunaro - Lost City
    Sunaro - Lost City Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    If someone gets emotional enough over the things some complete stranger said over the internet that they want to hurt themselves or commit suicide, then I say let them. We don't need them contaminating the gene pool with their over-emotional tendencies.

It's a freakin' GAME, people. If the people on the game bother you that much, log off and go do something else. =_=
    Zektera - Blademaster
    Djeserit - Assassin
    TranquilSoul - Barbarian
    Torsti - Cleric
    Heartbourne - Seeker
  • Linwiz - Lost City
    Linwiz - Lost City Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    If someone gets emotional enough over the things some complete stranger said over the internet that they want to hurt themselves or commit suicide, then I say let them. We don't need them contaminating the gene pool with their over-emotional tendencies.

It's a freakin' GAME, people. If the people on the game bother you that much, log off and go do something else. =_=

+1000, get rid of the cancer of modern society
  • shoklarox
    shoklarox Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Yeah world chat is annoying. *turns WC off*
  • Vixter - Harshlands
    Vixter - Harshlands Posts: 1,275 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    to everyone who says "u dont have to read it" is almost like saying, if someone smokes in a public place, "you dont have to breathe it"

sure you can blacklist, but then eventually its gunna get full. theres a lot of people who break the rules on WC and it -does- need to be moderated. just a few hour-days mute would be a nice punishment for those who cant follow the rules.

im perfectly fine with fools on WC, but some times people can get out of control with nasty and/or sexual things, most of the time to offend someone.

you cant just say "dont read it" and ignore the people who abuse WC. those people need to be punished, not for those who cant stand the obsenity, but for those who cant follow the freakin rules.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vixter (101 Heavy Veno) ~ TT farmer
    Peachie (102 Mystic) ~ Main character
  • vristion
    vristion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    So WC causes emos now?

Soon to come, boutique EMO packs.

Right click and have a chance to win one ultra dull razor.
  • Silest - Sanctuary
    Silest - Sanctuary Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I blacklist people on world chat almost everyday. But for the most part it's civilized.
  • sleepcat
    sleepcat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I believe there are a few cases where a target of online bullying committed suicide and the perpetrators were put on trial.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    1. The world is cruel

2. Human is ignorant creature

3. Internet show people true face

4. People release loads of things from their mind & heart when other people can't see them

5. I am a rabbit (usagi) so i don't understand human
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • sihndra
    sihndra Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Send [screenshots] or [character name + date/time] of offensive chat to your local PWE Ministry of Freedom

Many will apply, many will win.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LobosHeart - Heavens Tear
    LobosHeart - Heavens Tear Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Mr./Ms Adim

thats a joke right

we now have to do the job for you

why dont you really be honest and say you just dont care as long as you get your pay check

and before you just pass this off as someone who is just spouting off

ive been there and haveing a GM sit on game a cpl hours a day isnt that big of a deal

if they do the job and take pride in what they do
    You never see me coming I am the chill that runs up your spine, I am the cold that seeks your bones, I am the thrill of fear you feel when you hear me call.
    Can you see my joy to run free? My thrill of the kill the heat of battle
    See the shiver as I taste your blood The insane pleasure as I see you die.
    I am Lobo I run free come Join me as I as I roam free.
    Come join me if you dare Come dance with me
  • \Hysteria\ - Dreamweaver43
    \Hysteria\ - Dreamweaver43 Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    wc trolling is fun

i love the interwebz

/end
  • Aia - Raging Tide
    Aia - Raging Tide Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Yes Raging Tide world chat and chat in general is terrible...yes some of my friends join in on making it obnoxious sometimes, and yes it used to bother me a lot.

Nowadays I sort of just roll my eyes and give it the "oh world chat" -rolls eyes- I don't believe that it will be moderated because the source of WC is $$$ and if you moderate that then the company will lose a bit. I have played games in the past where it was the opposite..WC was paid for with ingame coin and there were moderators, it was really no different except some people got temporary slaps on the hands.

I'm not saying this is fair to the users who actually care about their sanity, but I recommend that you find things to counter this. Find a faction that is actively chatty that you get along with, going on ventrilo with friends to talk also distracts you from reading the game chat sometimes.

And of course the already mentioned turning off WC, blacklisting, or playing in hardcore mode (alt+h) will help a bit. Just don't stress too much, find friends to talk to rather than follow up on stuff being talked about people that likely don't matter all that much to you.

Don't worry, it is just a game and if it is really bothersome just log out for awhile. b:cute