Veno confused about Luring! Help? :)

Options
Bambiie - Raging Tide
Bambiie - Raging Tide Posts: 3 Arc User
edited August 2010 in Venomancer
Okay, so i have had alot of help from different people with learning about luring, but i still dont understand it. Some people say, attack one monster with your pet, then stow it, and then bring it right back out, but the problem with that is the monster keeps attacking ME instead of my pet.

I also have tried putting my pet in defend mode, and then making it attack once i pull the monster from the mob, but again i still get attacked instead of my pet.

Help? :/
Post edited by Bambiie - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Kokoa - Sanctuary
    Kokoa - Sanctuary Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    first off, i'm proud that you came to the forums instead of avoiding the issue and not knowing how to lure at level 60. xD

mk, so you target the thing you want to lure, and you send your pet after it. you let the pet hit it once or twice, and stow it. then the target's aggro will reset on you. so you re-summon your pet and once your pet hits the target (granted you didn't attack yet) once, your pet will have aggro and you can do your thing.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Venomancer_Luring

And yes, the monster WILL go for you. The solution is to be far enough away, and quickly have the pet resummoned and hit again to distract it.
  • Yindra - Sanctuary
    Yindra - Sanctuary Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Also, it's vital to not "help" your pet by healing it when you send it off to invite the monster. Any of his friends sees you healing the pet and they'll come for you --- else they'll go for the pet, and reset when that thing vanishes ("it hurt our friend but now it's gone, so it's probably just a violent illusion").
    Slow progress, game is getting way too grindy :-( Quests I still hope to be able to do some day: FB39, General Feng
  • Maddieson - Sanctuary
    Maddieson - Sanctuary Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Or just use genie "Earthflame" like other classes.
    It's not my job to shut you down on a suggestion. It's a pleasure, though.
  • SeaStorm - Heavens Tear
    SeaStorm - Heavens Tear Posts: 315 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    The Zeal Genie "earthflame" skill is not always the best option. It would be better to learn to lure with pets then start experiementing with the genie skill.

Luring:

1. send pet to mob let it attack at least one/two times (no heals)
    2. stow and recall immediately (I keep my pets on active "hot" keys)
    3. send pet to attack pulled mob (after you send pet u can move further away again - just make sure you have a non-mob area to run back into)
    4. heal pet after it has attacked mob
    5. now attack mob yourself and keep pet healed

Until you get used to the timing be prepared to take a bit of damage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Silest - Sanctuary
    Silest - Sanctuary Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I learned by watching other veno's do it..
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2010
    Options
    They upped the range of earthflame recently, allegedly. If actually true then that really IS the best option in almost any circumstance. Which is a damn shame, luring is an actual interesting skill to learn.
  • AnimaBlanc - Sanctuary
    AnimaBlanc - Sanctuary Posts: 555 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    They upped the range of earthflame recently, allegedly. If actually true then that really IS the best option in almost any circumstance. Which is a damn shame, luring is an actual interesting skill to learn.

Can't really say i agree, Earthflame isn't a clean-pull/lure. non-reflect pets are. granted your distance isn't too far or to close either.
    Earthflame usually has the tendancy to aggro more than just the designated mob your trying to get. A Veno pull/lure is so much more effecient and clean than a genie one.
    All you need is something to believe in. -Solar_one. <-- <3 mah snoockums, mah hubby, mah eberyfing. :3

Lag; You think yours is bad ? It took Jesus 3 days to Respawn !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Current games aren't -games- anymore, just light shows operated by win buttons, lol."
    "ah sh*t, were gonna die!.... but it's still cool!" -INTMDATOR
  • Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary
    Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    There are several ways to lure.
    The standard way is through sending pet in (non-reflect) and stowing it.
    Tame pet also works as a lure, just as earth flame does, but the range is shorter.
    And then there's the "follow lure" ( reflect or non-reflect, but works best with reflect since your pet can aggro more than one mob at the same time, granted they are mellee mobs.) This is where you put your pet on manual, have him catch the mob thats coming to you (say after you use the normal form of luring) then order your pet to follow you, as you run to a different area. I usually use this technique to pull bosses in BH to the front of the cave.
    >.<
  • Yindra - Sanctuary
    Yindra - Sanctuary Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    luring is an actual interesting skill to learn.

There is no luring skill. It's just how the game is set up.
    Slow progress, game is getting way too grindy :-( Quests I still hope to be able to do some day: FB39, General Feng
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Um... No. To both of you.

Earthflame is a perfect lure, just like a pet lure. The only disadvantage is that it is (was) fairly short ranged - and that could cause you to aggro something directly rather than by the skill use.

If that range is now longer (and it seems to be, though pet lure is longer-still) that fixes that problem.

And yes - luring is a skill. Not a spell your character can learn, but a skill you - the player - can learn.
    This is a good thing. There are all too few things like that in this game.
  • AnimaBlanc - Sanctuary
    AnimaBlanc - Sanctuary Posts: 555 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Then you probably got lucky with the people using earthflame as a luring skill.

cause i've seen countless of times that someone pulled by using earthflame and got more mobs than he/she had bargained for.
    All you need is something to believe in. -Solar_one. <-- <3 mah snoockums, mah hubby, mah eberyfing. :3

Lag; You think yours is bad ? It took Jesus 3 days to Respawn !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Current games aren't -games- anymore, just light shows operated by win buttons, lol."
    "ah sh*t, were gonna die!.... but it's still cool!" -INTMDATOR
  • Silest - Sanctuary
    Silest - Sanctuary Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Um... No. To both of you.

Earthflame is a perfect lure, just like a pet lure. The only disadvantage is that it is (was) fairly short ranged - and that could cause you to aggro something directly rather than by the skill use.

If that range is now longer (and it seems to be, though pet lure is longer-still) that fixes that problem.

And yes - luring is a skill. Not a spell your character can learn, but a skill you - the player - can learn.
    This is a good thing. There are all too few things like that in this game.
    I've seen a fac mate of mine use earthflame to pull the add-ons by the wyvern away from it. And he started at the beginning of the hall you enter from(where the pillar is, but a bit past it). If that's any useful indication to it's new range..

side note, it kind of annoys me when I'm not called upon to pull something. I mastered it fairly easily by watching others, and I can do it faster than any non-veno because of kowlin. Granted I still get hit once or twice because pet AI is slow on response sometimes when summoned, but the pull was successful either way. Matter of fact, I have a lot of gripes but I'll keep my mouth shut.