Jack of all trades master of none = FALSE!

CrowPrince - Lost City
CrowPrince - Lost City Posts: 117 Arc User
edited August 2010 in Psychic
that is how the psychic are most commonly known, the jack of all trade master of none.

we can support, tank and DD without much of a hassle (depending on your skill lvl as a player)

but i believe this is all false!

we psychics are the MASTERS OF AOE

correct me if i am wrong but we have the fastest channeling AoE's out of all classes. more then half of our attacking moves themselves are AoEs and all have a nice status effect along with high damage potential (blind, freeze, stun, bleed, slow)

i personally love our AoEs but let me know if you do aswell
Post edited by CrowPrince - Lost City on

Comments

• IDutcHx - Sanctuary
    IDutcHx - Sanctuary Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I agree, altho most psy's don't have enough HP to tank enough monsters.
    if I ever aoe in BH29/39 I end up using tranq orbs, hoping a Barb will take over rofl.

We should come up with a build for AoE psy's o.o'
    like more vit and str (and dex?) for light/heavy armor. and use Mag+ bonusses for extra dmg o_o
  • Derressh - Dreamweaver
    Derressh - Dreamweaver Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    An "AoE build" would probably just be a full vit build (1str, 6mag, 3vit every two levels) Though you would definitely want to restat out of that build after you're done with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I main a 97 Psy named /\bra. The forums don't like his name.
    So I post on my Barb.
    [On possibly-permanent hiatus]
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    wizards are the masters of aoes with the strongest and deadliest aoes in the game. Nothing makes someone **** in their pants than a +10 mage who knows how to use their ultis
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    like more vit and str (and dex?) for light/heavy armor. and use Mag+ bonusses for extra dmg o_o

Leave no stat behind eh?
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Derressh - Dreamweaver
    Derressh - Dreamweaver Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    wizards are the masters of aoes with the strongest and deadliest aoes in the game. Nothing makes someone **** in their pants than a +10 mage who knows how to use their ultis

I think the point he's trying to make is that Psys have more effective spammable AoEs than wizzies do.

Wizzies have 3 AoEs that don't cost chi, 1 eats up hp. 3 AoEs that cost 2 sparks.

Psys have 4 AoEs that don't cost chi. 1 AoE that costs 1 spark. 2 AoEs that cost 2 sparks.

Yes, yours may be more powerful, but we can spam ours easier.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I main a 97 Psy named /\bra. The forums don't like his name.
    So I post on my Barb.
    [On possibly-permanent hiatus]
  • CrowPrince - Lost City
    edited August 2010
    I think the point he's trying to make is that Psys have more effective spammable AoEs than wizzies do.

Wizzies have 3 AoEs that don't cost chi, 1 eats up hp. 3 AoEs that cost 2 sparks.

Psys have 4 AoEs that don't cost chi. 1 AoE that costs 1 spark. 2 AoEs that cost 2 sparks.

Yes, yours may be more powerful, but we can spam ours easier.

which in turn makes us stronger in the AoE department. iv played a wiz infact before psychic came out i only played a wiz and i know how they are with the AoEs. they are strong no doubt about it but put it this way, by the time you charge up your 3 second moutain seize and such we have stunned u with earth vector and spammed the **** out of you with our 1 sec channeling AoEs

as for the AoE build im not throwing up vit on mine cause i dont like tanking phys bosses, magic bosses i tank fine with my cleric friends who are all 8x+ and yet to die. my build is such the pure build (9 mag - 1str) untill i cap off my str at 50 then im thinking of going along the lines of throwing in a few points of dex every few lvls to rise up the magic crits
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    which in turn makes us stronger in the AoE department. iv played a wiz infact before psychic came out i only played a wiz and i know how they are with the AoEs. they are strong no doubt about it but put it this way, by the time you charge up your 3 second moutain seize and such we have stunned u with earth vector and spammed the **** out of you with our 1 sec channeling AoEs whut the heck......3 sec mountain seize? **** that....essential sutra your ****. QQ~

MS takes 1.4 sec with ES.
    b:avoid
    T.T'
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CrowPrince - Lost City
    edited August 2010
    MS takes 1.4 sec with ES.
    b:avoid
    T.T'

lol sorry hamsta i forgot about ES. but if a wiz throws ES up on me im going to throw disturbed mind on him and increase his channeling again
  • Kai_Umi - Heavens Tear
    Kai_Umi - Heavens Tear Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    We can use Tide Spirit too lol, and ES+MS = 4 spark, but well it s not another tried about psy vs wizz right?

EDIT: yes we can spam aoe fast with almost no chi cost, but wizz seems better for aoe than psy coz they hit hard and have better def with their shield.

EDIT2: Psy are master of retaliation (soul of :vengeance/retaliation/stuning/silence, soulburn) and master of statut effect (slow chan/3x slow movement speed/silence/2x stun/atk,def lvl/increase or decrease effect of hp pots and charm/bleed/immun to phys atk,purify and at lvl 100 another silence skill and one that reduce atk speed)
  • CrowPrince - Lost City
    edited August 2010
    i don't want to turn this into a psy vs wiz thread because they annoy me so this is my last comment on it.

yes i understand wizards hit harder in dps then use but i would like to put it this way. say hypothetically a wiz hits an AoE on a group of mobs for say 5k each and a psy Aoes on the exact same mobs and hits lets say 4k. yes the wiz hit harder but then during the time of his cooldown and spark recharge the psy has hit another AoE for 4k again. hence the psy in the long term will hit harder for the fast that it will hit faster in the aoes
  • Kaloissa - Archosaur
    Kaloissa - Archosaur Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    The difference between Psychics and Wizards is simply this, damage per hit, and damage over time. I once saw a thread about would you rather an archer or wizzy DD in your squad. The argument was that archers will do more damage over time and wizards will do more damage per hit. The same can be said for psychics and wizards. The fast casting time of our skills will eventually do more damage in 10 minutes than a wizzy, but we lack spike damage. A end game wizzy can kill a 10X charmed barb simply because they have spike damage. So all in all, they do more damage per hit, we do more damage over time.

As for AOE your all wrong, BM takes the cake in that. Run in AOE stun > Heavens Flame > AOE to death > stun again once cooldowns over > keep pwning. Now for magic mobs its different and i think psy still takes the cake however. The wizard AOEs (i have a 6X wizard too) are very constricting to space. Hailstorm sucks, Dragons breath is centered around you, Will of The Phoenix is a straight line aoe ( you line up magic mobs b:chuckle) with a short range, Emberstorm is like a sucky arma, and the 3 ultis cost too much chi to be spamable. Psys have Glacial Shards which has a decent area centered around one mob, same for Sandburst Blast, Aqua cannon only works if your in the middle of the mobs, Earth Vector is great and only cost 1 spark, and Red Tide is good if your past 89 and have 3 sparks ( to use it in quick succession with earth vector), and Crystal Light though being a straight line AOE still has a good horizontal range.
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited August 2010

Definitely gotta disagree there.

Yes BIDS and all the ultimate AOEs are strong, but those cost two sparks. In the time it takes a Wiz to cast one of those, a Psy can cast a 6-second stunner and our ultimate AOE, and then we still have 4 AOE skills to be spammed, one in particular with a very handy 6 second cooldown. In the time it takes a Wizard to cast two of the ultimates, a Psy will have casted 4-5 AOEs, ALL with ailments on them. We also have Psy will, which actually allows us to tank endless amounts of mobs for a short time.

Wiz AOEs are great, but Psys have better DPS with their AOEs and unlike wizards, we can keep AOEing all day. A wiz will eventually run out of chi, and once that happens their AOE performance is pretty mediocre.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • CrowPrince - Lost City
    edited August 2010
    Definitely gotta disagree there.

Yes BIDS and all the ultimate AOEs are strong, but those cost two sparks. In the time it takes a Wiz to cast one of those, a Psy can cast a 6-second stunner and our ultimate AOE, and then we still have 4 AOE skills to be spammed, one in particular with a very handy 6 second cooldown. In the time it takes a Wizard to cast two of the ultimates, a Psy will have casted 4-5 AOEs, ALL with ailments on them. We also have Psy will, which actually allows us to tank endless amounts of mobs for a short time.

Wiz AOEs are great, but Psys have better DPS with their AOEs and unlike wizards, we can keep AOEing all day. A wiz will eventually run out of chi, and once that happens their AOE performance is pretty mediocre.

Amen my fishy brother b:victory
  • $exy_Fish - Heavens Tear
    $exy_Fish - Heavens Tear Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    not to tick anyone off or anything, but bms are pretty nice aoe'rs too~ b:surrender
    edited August 2010
    Me not sure but wizzys > psy in frost and we already do too much damage in RB.
    In frost, 1 BM drag + wizzy ulti = dead mob waves and chi isn't a problem with master li tech, elemental shell, and frostblade.
    o.o'

And most competent wizzy can start channeling during the pull to make their ulti drop within moments of BM drags.
    x.x'

Although, mayhaps psy could be better in RB.
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    edited August 2010
    Me not sure but wizzys > psy in frost and we already do too much damage in RB.
    In frost, 1 BM drag + wizzy ulti = dead mob waves and chi isn't a problem with master li tech, elemental shell, and frostblade.
    o.o'

And most competent wizzy can start channeling during the pull to make their ulti drop within moments of BM drags.
    x.x'

Although, mayhaps psy could be better in RB.

Don't know about you, but despite a lot of the Tideborn racism that comes from people initially hating the Tideborn for all the damn assassins, I've run into quite a few FC squad leaders who specifically like having Psys in their squad.

-We AOE fast as hell and hit hard
    -We can help stun
    -If we get swarmed due to a bad barb, we can survive and kill the mob train thanks to Psychic Will
    -We provide a buff that can help keep the tank alive, and can provide a nice AOE DoT healing spell to help in some situations

I can one-shot mob trains with the help of dragons too, but generally choose not to. A Psy can either stun and then AOE or use one of it's harder hitting spells, which either requires two sparks or being directly in the middle of the mob train. The first option takes two AOEs, the second option only needs one. Perhaps for a Wizard, tossing away two sparks on their stun AOE seems like a good investment, but for a Psy, I'd almost always like to reserve my sparks for "just in case," so I'll have Psy will and perhaps an extra Earth Vector at my disposal. My extra precaution literally only adds a second on the time it takes to kill a mob train, and as I've said before, a Psy CAN spark and AOE like mad whereas a Wizard cannot. Technically, a sparked Psy would be able to take down the train faster: spark just before the barb is done and the MOMENT BM's dragon hits, the train will die. Wizard, you may find yourself canceling the cast due to a ****-up by the Barb/BM/Cleric or their cast will simply take longer than the Psys.
    The difference here though is less than a second, so I wouldn't really call a wiz or Psy better or worse based on that. To me, it's what happens when the BM fails to dragon, the mobs scatter into smaller groups or when the Wiz/Psy gets swarmed that determines which is better. A Wizard getting swarmed is just screwed; a Psy will live. A mob train that hasn't been hit by dragons won't be one-shot by either class; in this case, the Psy will kill faster. If the mobs divide themselves among the tank and two/three DD's, the Wiz will quickly run "low on ammo" in the AOE department whereas the Psy can continuously AOE the different groups until all the mobs are dead.

Wizards are known for DPH, not AOEs; don't confuse or mistake the two. It just so happens that their hardest hitting skills are all AOEs, but these are hardly practical in the long run, seeing as how they take ages to cast and have a two spark requirement. Just because you have three hard-hitting AOE skills does NOT mean you would be able to use all three on the same mob train. A Psy on the other hand can use every single one of it's AOEs on a single mob train OR it can use the majority of them while double/triple sparked.
    I <3 AGOREY
    edited August 2010
    Don't know about you, but despite a lot of the Tideborn racism that comes from people initially hating the Tideborn for all the damn assassins, I've run into quite a few FC squad leaders who specifically like having Psys in their squad.

-We AOE fast as hell and hit hard why yes you do, but that be good for bosses and stuff where DPS be good although there might as well use a 5 APS BM/Sin/Barb
    -We can help stun Probably good for RB not really in frost.
    -If we get swarmed due to a bad barb, we can survive and kill the mob train thanks to Psychic Will Yay d(^.^)
    -We provide a buff that can help keep the tank alive, and can provide a nice AOE DoT healing spell to help in some situations o_o' Mayhaps we should petition to make elemental shell last 10 seconds or something.

I can one-shot mob trains with the help of dragons too, but generally choose not to. .....why? o.O' A Psy can either stun ....why? the goal is to get exp, which means killing mobs...not to waste time. o_o' also psy stun (me suppose you mean earth vector) has a 20% chance to fail...so....not sure what be going on in your head when you decide to stun. and then AOE or use one of it's harder hitting spells, which either requires two sparks or being directly in the middle of the mob train. The first option takes two AOEs, the second option only needs one. Perhaps for a Wizard, tossing away two sparks on their stun AOE*facepaw* Why would me even use MS? BT can easily do 60-100% of mob hp (Nonsparked and with TT80 weapon...so...yea...) seems like a good investment, but for a Psy, I'd almost always like to reserve my sparks for "just in case," And this be why 3rd spark from sage/demon be there so we can use DB or even a 2nd ulti *just fill the chi bar and cast any quick skill*) so I'll have Psy will and perhaps an extra Earth Vector at my disposal. My extra precaution literally only adds a second on the time it takes to kill a mob train, and as I've said before, a Psy CAN spark and AOE like mad whereas a Wizard cannot. Then how do you explain triple sparked ulti? o_O' (Me just **** with you here.) Technically, a sparked Psy would be able to take down the train slower fixed, you already has admitted to wasting time for unnecessary "precautions" but then again, me usually ran frost with the same 30 people or so (depending on whos on and whatnot).....which meant there be little **** ups even with random additional members: spark just before the barb is done and the MOMENT BM's dragon hits, the train will die. Wizard, you may find yourself canceling the cast due to a ****-up by the Barb/BM/Cleric (lolwhut cleric? How does a cleric **** up on casting BB?) or their cast will simply take longer than the Psys. Well here me concede, rarely does a human has access to our abilities to virtually see the future.
    The difference here though is less than a second, so I wouldn't really call a wiz or Psy better or worse based on that. To me, it's what happens when the BM fails to dragon, the mobs scatter into smaller groups or when the Wiz/Psy gets swarmed that determines which is better. A Wizard getting swarmed is just screwed distance shrink AWAY! D:; a Psy will live. A mob train that hasn't been hit by dragons won't be one-shot by either class; in this case, the Psy will kill faster. If the mobs divide themselves among the tank and two/three DD's, the Wiz will quickly run "low on ammo" in the AOE department whereas the Psy can continuously AOE the different groups until all the mobs are dead. Tis true, but....even **** up BMs have a pattern which can be read. o.o'

Wizards are known for DPH, not AOEs; don't confuse or mistake the two.Me never has. o_o' It just so happens that their hardest hitting skills are all AOEs, but these are hardly practical in the long run, seeing as how they take ages to cast and have a two spark requirement. "precasting ahead of time + sage tech/insta skill spam = fulfills chi requirement. It be VERY practical. Just because you have three hard-hitting AOE skills does NOT mean you would be able to use all three on the same mob train. Only one is needed since it wipes out the mobs.... A Psy on the other hand can use every single one Something be wrong if you need to use every single one to kill mobs of it's AOEs on a single mob train OR it can use the majority of them while double/triple sparked.

Psy be good for DPS, specifically aoe DPS (probably good for RB)
    So...yay Psy = masters of RB? o_o'
    58% chance to get tokens
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    edited August 2010
    Psy be good for DPS, specifically aoe DPS (probably good for RB)
    So...yay Psy = masters of RB? o_o'

Well you've kinda argued against yourself.

If your skills can take 60%-100% of a mobs HP, then that means that fairly often, it doesn't finish them, meaning you need two spells. In the time it takes you to cast two spells, it'll probably be ~9 seconds. In the time it takes a Psy to cast two spells, it'll be ~5 seconds. Psys finish faster.

And the rest of your arguments are against MY habit of taking precautions; not against a Psys actual capabilities. Then there are other arguments that are....well you're just derailing and wanting examples of a cleric **** up or something.

Plus here, great example: AOEing dragoons. Would you rather want a Wiz or a Psy?
    I <3 AGOREY
  • Pyrya - Archosaur
    Pyrya - Archosaur Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    -We AOE fast as hell and hit hard
    -We can help stun
    -If we get swarmed due to a bad barb, we can survive and kill the mob train thanks to Psychic Will
    -We provide a buff that can help keep the tank alive, and can provide a nice AOE DoT healing spell which at sage also becomes a purify to help in some situations

There...had to add that in. An AOE purify which no class not even a cleric can do, to me, is worth your weight in gold and that spot in FC/RB/harpy (lolwut o.O)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Endofdark - Lost City
    Endofdark - Lost City Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    the aoe build isnt good because..to get the defense and hp up..you give up the damage you do

a reflect pyshic seems better because
    you can put the stats into hp and str for heavy armor

use soul of stun, reflect damage, burn soul, white vodoo...mobs cant hit you to hard with such a defense..and you slowly knock their hp down with curse and reflect