Levelling as a fist/claw bm

Options
orcsam
orcsam Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2010 in Blademaster
I've asked a couple of 9x/100 BMs on my server about stat allocation for bms and as I understand you should put 3 str 2 dex every level in order to use both axes and fists. I'm used to casters and ranged DD's and hitting rather high numbers.

Getting to the topic, I know that axes are great for levelling around the 7x levels due to aoe grinding. I also know that once you get to bh levels, there's little grinding to be done.

So, my question is this. Levelling through the 2x, 3x levels as a fist/claw bm, using the 3/2 stat allocation, am I going to find it easy or difficult?

One level 100 BM suggested that I go 3 str, 1 dex, 1 vit until level 95, then restat to use the lunar claws. He says fists before then are useless, since it is unlikely that you can get 5APS before that level.

I'd like to rephrase my earlier question. I'm not searching for an easy way to level up. I am simply curious as to whether it's a better idea to level with axes when doing solo quests or save the axes for the squads?

Many thanks for reading my mini-wall. b:bye
Post edited by orcsam on

Comments

• Pytharia - Heavens Tear
    Pytharia - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I think fist only shines with 95+

Yeah, it's gonna be tough with nothing on vit so if you have the money i suggest getting vit then restat. Axe is better before the real fist/5aps.
  • orcsam
    orcsam Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Glad to hear it.

Just out of curiosity. I've been levelling an assassin too, got to 20 so far. They seem to be quite sturdy only if I use life powder.

Pre-level 40 or so, would a pure dex assassin outdamage a 3/2 stat fist bm easily?
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    Telarith - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    orcsam wrote: »
    I've asked a couple of 9x/100 BMs on my server about stat allocation for bms and as I understand you should put 3 str 2 dex every level in order to use both axes and fists. I'm used to casters and ranged DD's and hitting rather high numbers.

Getting to the topic, I know that axes are great for levelling around the 7x levels due to aoe grinding. I also know that once you get to bh levels, there's little grinding to be done.

So, my question is this. Levelling through the 2x, 3x levels as a fist/claw bm, using the 3/2 stat allocation, am I going to find it easy or difficult?

One level 100 BM suggested that I go 3 str, 1 dex, 1 vit until level 95, then restat to use the lunar claws. He says fists before then are useless, since it is unlikely that you can get 5APS before that level.

I'd like to rephrase my earlier question. I'm not searching for an easy way to level up. I am simply curious as to whether it's a better idea to level with axes when doing solo quests or save the axes for the squads?

Many thanks for reading my mini-wall. b:bye

The BM who told you that is either trying to cover up their **** up in going fists late game, or simply just another mindless drone repeating ****.

Fist was simple to level up through game, even before BH. 3-2 set up, and make sure to gather the herbs needed for life powders as you level from 1-10. That area is easy, and won't matter how you stat for the most part. From 10 on, use Life Powders. Without any double xp event, I think it takes around 50-60 (10-12 crafts) life powders to get through the quests and grinding. Once you hit 29, you get your self-heal from Diamond Sutra. That let's you go off of mana potions from then on basically. And because of chi gain from fists, you will be able to Sutra at a much higher rate than other weaponry.

Make sure to use HA, and skip any mag only mobs in 5X range for quests. More annoyance than they are worth. There are few worthwhile AoE areas before thieves at 7X, and at 60 I'd finish off a mob twice as quickly as another BM wielding TT axes. Check AH frequently for fists/claws with 2 phys damage adds, open sockets, or -int on them. All of those will benefit fist/claw damage to a higher degree than other weapons. Check in both HA and LA wrist armor for any -int bracers you can get to boost your attack rate. At 60, if you have the money, you can work on getting DQ orders to get Bracers of Blood Moon. Those will make fists superior 1v1 damage than the other weapon types to a noticeable degree.

Main thing is most quests early on do not have mobs that can be AoE'ed, and fists can kill just as fast as axes while being cheaper as well; both because you won't need to level up useless attack skills that get ditched later on, and from not needing to use as much mana.

Fists are good from 29 on, very good from 60 on, great from 85/89 on, and "why the hell aren't you using them" from 99 on.
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

Get a High lvl Fist warrior use it, Restat to axes. GG - complexx

:NOTE: These signatures are to forever immortalize, how stupid people can be.
  • Infliction - Raging Tide
    Infliction - Raging Tide Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I started using fist at 60, and then I had the lvl60 mold fist +5 or so, fist are only good under 85 if you have them refined a bit, and even then, really aren't good until you can start to get a little bit of interval gear.
  • Ranfa - Dreamweaver
    Ranfa - Dreamweaver Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I was a fist/claw BM from lvl 3 and only started using axes and other weapons until lvl 5x.
    I didn't have problem with killing number of mobs...instead of using AoE's I just sparked and punched away. Killed just as fast and saved me mana potions in the long run.
  • Kientei - Heavens Tear
    Kientei - Heavens Tear Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I've been really confused myself, to the point that I'm considering just deleting my BM and starting from scratch. I followed Lyndura's guide doing some research before I started playing but apparently...she's biased or something? Don't mean to offend anyone, just something that seems more noticeable with reading the forums.

It seems everyone has their own seperate opinion. Fists are amazing, fists suck, use axes you noob, swords are useless, your skilled at the class if you use swords, you HAVE to put vit in your build, etc. x100000.

There must be some middle ground somewhere, I just don't want to **** up (again?). I love BM since its so versatile, but with builds and weapons, its so damn confusing on what I should do. I really only plan on PvE, I like helping people out but first I have to help myself LOL. Sorry to invade someone else's thread, but are there any pieces of advice? Is the 3 str, 2 dex build solid? I would like to adequately use axes but use fists for 1v1...probably? And hopefully not just end up as mediocre at everything. Sorry for another wall of text, just a bit frustrated/confused with a class I love using. ^^;
  • Maragon - Dreamweaver
    Maragon - Dreamweaver Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I was fist/axe from level 1 on my bm. didnt really use any axe skills till 39 when i got the first aoe.

level for a bm becomes so much easier after you get sutra at 29.

I tanked bhs 29 and 39 without problem holding aggro on pure dps from wizzies and archers (didnt tank herc usually left a wiz)

I really dont know why people say fists are only good if u have interval. if you do the math on straight attacks no sparking or anything all 4 weapons have almost the same dps for the same level weapons. dont believe me go do some math t the forges. the only real difference is skills and chi.

I'm nearly 70 (yea i know not too high) and will be using dark flash and calamities both at 70. as far as i'm concerned a bm that limits himself to only one path is the one that fails.

(also carry a pole, sword and bow with me toob:chuckle)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I've been really confused myself, to the point that I'm considering just deleting my BM and starting from scratch. I followed Lyndura's guide doing some research before I started playing but apparently...she's biased or something? Don't mean to offend anyone, just something that seems more noticeable with reading the forums.

It seems everyone has their own seperate opinion. Fists are amazing, fists suck, use axes you noob, swords are useless, your skilled at the class if you use swords, you HAVE to put vit in your build, etc. x100000.

There must be some middle ground somewhere, I just don't want to **** up (again?). I love BM since its so versatile, but with builds and weapons, its so damn confusing on what I should do. I really only plan on PvE, I like helping people out but first I have to help myself LOL. Sorry to invade someone else's thread, but are there any pieces of advice? Is the 3 str, 2 dex build solid? I would like to adequately use axes but use fists for 1v1...probably? And hopefully not just end up as mediocre at everything. Sorry for another wall of text, just a bit frustrated/confused with a class I love using. ^^;

Lyndura was heavily biased against fists, and knew nothing about them when they made the guide. Nowadays most people know to ignore Lyndura's advice and go all weapon. The reason Lyndura is picked on, is because of how insulting and arrogant they were in what turned out to be an utterly wrong opinion.

3 str 2 dex is a great leveling build in a PvE server. If you plan on soloing instances later, can add in some Vit; or if you're on a PvP server. Never had any issue leveling as a 3-2 build to lvl 100, only restat'ed so I could solo a squad mode TT instance safely until refines can let me reset to normal.
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

• Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    In short: you mostly level with BHs and frost where people usually kill mobs one by one. If they don't, just change to axes and AoE.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • Roin - Harshlands
    Roin - Harshlands Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    i have had my bm go from 1-74 pure fist with the 3 str 2 dex build and it was so easy and cheap soon as i made 60 i grinded foxwings till 94 (made a few mil doing that for all my 7x gear) got a interval bracer and started doing Public Quest i all ways made top 3 when one of them higher lvls did not help alts/friends easy xp but might want to grind alot of cash first so you can afford it
  • Pytharia - Heavens Tear
    Pytharia - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    With fist/axe build (3Str/2Dex)

Which skills should I focus on more and level to 10 faster?
  • _Surreal_ - Heavens Tear
    _Surreal_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,458 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    With fist/axe build (3Str/2Dex)

Which skills should I focus on more and level to 10 faster?

cloud eruption, sutra. and your buff, then once you hit 59 HF to.
    TheEmpire

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zalebud
    zalebud Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    All i hear is fist are **** to use as a BM. I started out useing hammers till i got to lvl 35 or so then went to fists. I beat stuff to death with fists. I am lvl 60 now useing fists of anialation or however you spell it. I can solo mobs up to 4 lvls above me just using spark heal. Only draw back is not being able to keep up with all the heavy armors. I dont mind the lower lvl armor cause my fists kills the mobs so fast it dont matter. I know i am new to this game but i have played many games like it and cant beleive that people think that the slowest weapons in the game are the best. I would rather have the weapon thats 2x as fast and do just a little bit less dmg. My crit rate and evasion makes up for it imo. Its all a matter of opinion on the weapons. I listened to everyone and used axes when i started after i tried fists i will not go back to axes or hammers.
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    edited August 2010
    Options
    zalebud wrote: »
    All i hear is fist are **** to use as a BM. I started out useing hammers till i got to lvl 35 or so then went to fists. I beat stuff to death with fists. I am lvl 60 now useing fists of anialation or however you spell it. I can solo mobs up to 4 lvls above me just using spark heal. Only draw back is not being able to keep up with all the heavy armors. I dont mind the lower lvl armor cause my fists kills the mobs so fast it dont matter. I know i am new to this game but i have played many games like it and cant beleive that people think that the slowest weapons in the game are the best. I would rather have the weapon thats 2x as fast and do just a little bit less dmg. My crit rate and evasion makes up for it imo. Its all a matter of opinion on the weapons. I listened to everyone and used axes when i started after i tried fists i will not go back to axes or hammers.

The extra crit from going dex build fister does not make up for the lower damage of less strength, did a comparison almost 2 years ago that showed that one. You're better off in HA armor as well, more health and defense for grinding cheaper. The only time dex build would narrow the damage gap is in perma-spark, which is why 3 str 2 dex is always recommended.

• XCableX - Archosaur
    XCableX - Archosaur Posts: 1,338 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    From my opinions how a blademaster should go, I think they should just go from Axes to Axes to Axes until you get like...around 60-70+

I don't know, from my own experience, in RT server, I went 3 str 1 dex 1 vit every level, and it was good, generating chi was a pain, not to mention I had lvl 1 marrows. lolwut?

When I started on Archosaur server I started out pure Fists only, and it could be a good idea in a sense, I went from lvl 1 - 70 with fists and realized some important things...

I think you should just start out Axes. Plain and Simple. People in the early levels, Gamma, Delta, TTs (HF), and even FC, people want Axe BMs. If you just roll fists you are completely useless, unless you're willing to spend $ on the game to get yourself to a high level without doing that (Oracles, Hypers work too, but are best efficient in FC, but you need axes, along with AoE Grinding). But once you get to 100, and do Nirvana, people rather have 5 aps BMs instead of pure Axe BMs. So you could go 3 STR 2 DEX every level. Hell I even know a couple people who went 5 STR every even level and 5 DEX every odd level. Most people Refine and shard for their gear as well, and go with the simple 3 STR 2 DEX build.

But since I'm going off topic, I'll just end it there. lolifail.
    youtube.com/xArsonist18 : XCableX's TW videos

pwcalc.com/56b00d33a8c63c7d : Current BM Build for TW
  • _Surreal_ - Heavens Tear
    _Surreal_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,458 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    grr not cloud eruption lol whirlwind kick or whatever its called... attack speed buffb:surrender
    TheEmpire

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    From my opinions how a blademaster should go, I think they should just go from Axes to Axes to Axes until you get like...around 60-70+

I don't know, from my own experience, in RT server, I went 3 str 1 dex 1 vit every level, and it was good, generating chi was a pain, not to mention I had lvl 1 marrows. lolwut?

When I started on Archosaur server I started out pure Fists only, and it could be a good idea in a sense, I went from lvl 1 - 70 with fists and realized some important things...

I think you should just start out Axes. Plain and Simple. People in the early levels, Gamma, Delta, TTs (HF), and even FC, people want Axe BMs. If you just roll fists you are completely useless, unless you're willing to spend $ on the game to get yourself to a high level without doing that (Oracles, Hypers work too, but are best efficient in FC, but you need axes, along with AoE Grinding). But once you get to 100, and do Nirvana, people rather have 5 aps BMs instead of pure Axe BMs. So you could go 3 STR 2 DEX every level. Hell I even know a couple people who went 5 STR every even level and 5 DEX every odd level. Most people Refine and shard for their gear as well, and go with the simple 3 STR 2 DEX build.

But since I'm going off topic, I'll just end it there. lolifail.

arent you the 101 bm asking how to play his class a few posts down?

70+ is the only time squads will "need" axes and thats what we call "midgame" now untill then fists will be used to grind/DD in bh/build chi for HF

fists take 1 skill lvl 10 1 skill lvl 3 and 1 lvl 1 to work almost no spirit comitment

this is advice for people who dont fruit>oracle>hyper>hyper more if somone wants to skip the entire game thats their choice but weapon does not mater there so moot point

oh and fists are exelent for grinding from 29+ 1v1 build fastest chi = HF every 30 seconds and can still cancle fine so yes useless (int makes em godly though)

and i personaly will not bring a mono axe/sword/pole/fist bm into tt/fcc axe fist/all weapon or gtfo of my squad...will bring em into bh to laugh at em in faction chat though

the ONLY time mono axe is a good idea is lvl 10x with all your gear farmed and refined as a tw only build
    Gifs are hard to make work here
  • DoppeIganger - Heavens Tear
    DoppeIganger - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I was hoping poking around the forums here would help me understand the build a little better than I do, since I too noticed that axe bms are more desireable in mid levels until you hit nirvana and everyone wants fists with high attack rate. I normally play my cleric and veno, and used to play a sin. I started this BM before the TB expansion and was thinking about going back to her just for fun and to learn more about BMs in general. But something that also confused me alot was which build would be the best.

The 3str 2 dex every level would leave you with a lot less hp yes? Was wondering if it's still a good build even so? As for fists, I wasn't sure (if I get that far) if I should just go fists now or go fists later? I don't know if I wanna mess with restating later lol...

Guess all I'm asking is what're good stats for using both axe and fist? Just the minimum str/dex required for the weapons of your level or putting in more str or more dex for either a harder hit or higher crit? I'm not sure which is better to do lol. I know from experimenting with my veno that I liked having better attack rather than higher crit but I'm not sure if this same sort of rule applies to BMs also.

Also sorry for invading the OP's post, I just had some questions myself too.

I'm starting to think that going axe now and picking up fists later would be the best option judging from other posts.

Guess I'll figure it out as I go lol. Hope someone can answer about the stat distribution though. :S So many things to put points into, just wanna make sure to balance it enough and still have decent HP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ranfa - Dreamweaver
    Ranfa - Dreamweaver Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    3/2 build is for people who can afford good refines and good shards (I don't mean +10 and full vit stones, just generic +3-5, Flawless/Immacs). You'll have 1.5k ish less than a vit axe BM but you make up for it by killing much, much faster. Plus with Bloodpaint from Sins, you'll even have the upperhand in survival.

But if you are that worried about HP, you can add a single point of vit every 2 levels. I have 6 base vit (pure damage build) with +5 armor pieces rolling immac cits, which bring me on par or higher with other BMs who have been adding vit in HP.
  • EbonyBlood - Heavens Tear
    EbonyBlood - Heavens Tear Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    b:surrender I've gone with a build of 5Str/4Dex/1Vit, since level 1. I've been fist the whole time. As of this level, I have more HP than a "Fist/Axe" BM 15 levels over me, can tank the all of my BH's (if needed), and have only lost two duels against people higher level than myself. And I have dueled lvl 65+ barbs, sins, BM's, and archers. Of all of those duels, I have only lost to one archer and one sin, after kicking the **** out of him three times prior.

The only skills I truly use, 1v1, are Aoelian Blade, Shadowless Kick, and Roar of the Pride(when the other two are in cooldown). In an AoE, Fan of Flames (rare but whatever), Drake Sweep, and Cyclone Heel.

Maybe I am missing out of the part of BM life that requires me to swing things around blindly and pray I hit, just before dying. However, I feel that I have experienced a great deal of pleasure and fun. I dunno, maybe I'm just too nub to notice things like my constant hits, multiple crits, and endless supply of HP from Blood Paint.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]