When should I cap my Vitality?

Options
Zurrock - Heavens Tear
Zurrock - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
edited August 2010 in Blademaster
I'm an Axe BM and just hit level 20. Everyone I've spoken to has told me that at some point I should cap my vitality and start pouring all leftover points into DEX. That said, nobody has told me exactly WHEN I should cap it, and I can't seem to find an answer on here (though I may be overlooking it.)

So what do you suggest? Oh and I'm about to purchase some Handaxes of Demonic Roar from the auction house. I'm assuming Amber Shards are the way to go?
Post edited by Zurrock - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Okeano - Harshlands
    Okeano - Harshlands Posts: 4,943 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    There have been countless threads asking about VIT. I myself has asked one recently. It really depends on what your BM will be doing.

A popular number use to be 50. That's fine for most general PvE. Some PKers build their BM with no VIT, some with mostly VIT. For TW, you'll want as much VIT as you can get.

I personally never shaded a single piece of amber on any of my weapons. Part of me wants to say it depends on your DEX, but another part says ambers are trash in general.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Really, the best PvE build for just axes (and what I would suggest to most newer players) would be to stat so that you have str to wear axes of your level and balance vit and dex. When you feel like you're getting hit too hard, add your spare points to vit for a few levels. When you feel like you're missing too much, add points to dex for a few levels until you're feeling a bit better. When you hit 6x-7x, you can interval bracers and restat to dex and start using fists probably 10 levels lower than your max. I'd stick with the Annihilator of Souls until 85 when you can use Frost Gold, then replace them at 95 with Lunar Claws.

Earlier on, just like with your mdef ornaments, it's not going to matter all that much which weapon you pick, but once you pass 5x you'll notice a relatively pleasant improvement by restatting for fists. Up to you though.

Since you're not on a PvP server, you have more luxury to stat how you want. On a PvP server, you probably want min str for axes, min dex for fists and put the rest into vit until you reach 90/99 and can afford to refine and shard decently.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Stilleh - Raging Tide
    Stilleh - Raging Tide Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Since you're not on a PvP server, you have more luxury to stat how you want. On a PvP server, you probably want min str for axes, min dex for fists and put the rest into vit until you reach 90/99 and can afford to refine and shard decently.

How have you dished out your points Michael_dark? I think I read in another thread that you restated to get more vit for TW due to the Jones Blessing b0rking things too much. Could you tell me how much you have in each category (without gear ofc)?

b:thanks
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing...
  • Ranfa - Dreamweaver
    Ranfa - Dreamweaver Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Depends on how much you can afford for refines and gems. I have 6 base vit and 7.3k hp unbuffed, it allows me to tank most of TT bosses perfectly fine. It's also enough to survive in PK.
  • GrimReaperHC - Dreamweaver
    GrimReaperHC - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,695 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Ima lvl57 BM and I have 85 vit points. It's really helpful when you are grinding even that I really lost a lot of points in vit(don't blame me when I joined I decided this will be the best way) and even so I still can tank a most of the bosses around.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    How have you dished out your points Michael_dark? I think I read in another thread that you restated to get more vit for TW due to the Jones Blessing b0rking things too much. Could you tell me how much you have in each category (without gear ofc)?

b:thanks

Actually when I was learning I didn't really come to the forum... having played AD&D on pencil and paper, I figured most of what I had to do myself. I never really statted badly, but I didn't really follow any conventional builds.

I'm on an alt right now so I can't check, but this is pretty accurate... I think, site is currently down but should be up by the time you check it:

http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=ac8941a74a154064.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Really, the best PvE build for just axes (and what I would suggest to most newer players) would be to stat so that you have str to wear axes of your level and balance vit and dex. When you feel like you're getting hit too hard, add your spare points to vit for a few levels. When you feel like you're missing too much, add points to dex for a few levels until you're feeling a bit better. When you hit 6x-7x, you can interval bracers and restat to dex and start using fists probably 10 levels lower than your max. I'd stick with the Annihilator of Souls until 85 when you can use Frost Gold, then replace them at 95 with Lunar Claws.

Earlier on, just like with your mdef ornaments, it's not going to matter all that much which weapon you pick, but once you pass 5x you'll notice a relatively pleasant improvement by restatting for fists. Up to you though.

going to dissagree with this

on a PVE server bm's dont really "need" hp till we actually hit tw/pk ranges and you help the squad a bit more with high DD than you would with axes in most cases

2 ways to stat on a pve server that will not gimp your damage

3 str 2 dex till you hit 272/275 str and 193/200 dex with your 90+ gear on full vit after this

OR just run with 5/4/1 and use axes 1 rank under you calas are exelent axes till 90 and by then you should get enough free points from gear to use = lvl weapons

as a bm you spend 99% of your tie in fists like .5% in axes and the rest between sword and pole its a really really really bad idea to gimp your main weapon

oh and get int gear its pricy but when i see a fist w/o it it makes me want to drop kick puppies

ps: at lvl 100 roughly the highest amount if vit you can have while useing all weapons is 100 to answer your question
    Gifs are hard to make work here
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    going to dissagree with this

on a PVE server bm's dont really "need" hp till we actually hit tw/pk ranges and you help the squad a bit more with high DD than you would with axes in most cases

2 ways to stat on a pve server that will not gimp your damage

3 str 2 dex till you hit 272/275 str and 193/200 dex with your 90+ gear on full vit after this

OR just run with 5/4/1 and use axes 1 rank under you calas are exelent axes till 90 and by then you should get enough free points from gear to use = lvl weapons

as a bm you spend 99% of your tie in fists like .5% in axes and the rest between sword and pole its a really really really bad idea to gimp your main weapon

oh and get int gear its pricy but when i see a fist w/o it it makes me want to drop kick puppies

ps: at lvl 100 roughly the highest amount if vit you can have while useing all weapons is 100 to answer your question

I agree with you here. Using mostly axes for PvE isn't such a good idea anymore. The money you make will no longer come from AoE grinding. You need to have DD power for and axes for AoE's, but when you really start to need AoE's (70+ for gamma/frost) you can use calas.

Ps. 9/25 Silver DOs, 17/25 Copper DOs and 18/18 both bloods. Current weekly income: none.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.