[Discussion about the new UI]

Comments

• Lenore - Harshlands
    Lenore - Harshlands Posts: 1,201 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I never knew this feature existed to begin with. I always just backspaced. My guess after almost 2 years of playing if I didn't know it, a lot of others didn't either.

If you survived this long without a convenient feature, more power to you, but the rest of us who bothered to find out and use the little shortcuts in the game and adapted our play style around it find it exceedingly irritating.
  • Mraochan - Lost City
    Mraochan - Lost City Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    If you survived this long without a convenient feature, more power to you, but the rest of us who bothered to find out and use the little shortcuts in the game and adapted our play style around it find it exceedingly irritating.

Agreed, that quick way to jump out to WASD movement was critical.
  • Mraochan - Lost City
    edited August 2010
    Here it is in a nutshell:

I want to see the thread where everyone has been complaining for months about the horrible UI, the one that prompted this change.
  • Darksylph - Heavens Tear
    Darksylph - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,816 Arc User
    edited August 2010

I want to see the thread where everyone has been complaining for months about the horrible UI, the one that prompted this change.

I'm assuming its the anti-horn post. Cause this change in the chat box, is a 100% rip off of the BoI chat box (including the inability to use escape to clear your currently typed message). And BoI uses a special symbol for their "horn chat" (called warcry). I think this is allowing them to just "improve" horn chat (not addressing our issues with horn chat however).
  • Mraochan - Lost City
    edited August 2010
    I'm assuming its the anti-horn post. Cause this change in the chat box, is a 100% rip off of the BoI chat box (including the inability to use escape to clear your currently typed message). And BoI uses a special symbol for their "horn chat" (called warcry). I think this is allowing them to just "improve" horn chat (not addressing our issues with horn chat however).

If they wanted to improve horn chat, they could make it only show up in world chat... Oh wait, we already have a horn for world chat. Granted horn chat was annoying, but eventually they dried up and you rarely saw them. At least on LC.

Horn chat didn't make my eyes burn. Horn chat didn't prevent me from being able to see my hp/mp/genie bars. Horn chat didn't force me to move my monitor another 12 inches away from me just so I could stand to look at the game...

None of this is intended as an attack, I'm just mad.
  • frankieraye
    frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited August 2010

It's true, no one really complained about the old UI, but not all changes are fixes, some are just improvements. I believe the UI change was meant as an improvement, and while it does need a little more work to make everything fit nicely, I really think it does make the game look more sleek and modern.
  • Shivalia - Lost City
    Shivalia - Lost City Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    It's true, no one really complained about the old UI, but not all changes are fixes, some are just improvements. I believe the UI change was meant as an improvement, and while it does need a little more work to make everything fit nicely, I really think it does make the game look more sleek and modern.

I think the past in this forum has shown (think back to the whole forum change situation) that this select group of people as a general whole like things how they are. And we especially don't like it 'modern'. There were page upon page complaining of things like that, even enough to bring up how every site we see anymore is 'modern' and its completely boring. Even Window Vista was brought up about its 'ugliness' through its sleek modern appearance. We like our Perfect World looking ancient and classic just like its story, not new and space aged.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wonderful drawing of Shivalia done by the ever talented Shirrii of Heavens Tear. b:heart Much love to you forever!
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I remember the UI change from Age of Spirits to Rising Tide.

It was generally liked, took a bit of getting used to though, but it wasn't considered horrible at the beginning and our biggest problem with it was the loss of our EXP bars above our heads.

This change, on the other hand.... well.... I'm pretty sure all the threads about this speak for themselves. Perhaps they should consult the players before making unwanted "improvements" next time? Maybe?
  • Mraochan - Lost City
    edited August 2010

We're entitled to our own opinions. Every aspect of the new UI gives me a headache and makes me rage. Thank you for the response though.
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I still think the new tags in the chat box make the game look like it was designed in the mid 80's.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • Shivalia - Lost City
    edited August 2010
    truekossy wrote: »
    I remember the UI change from Age of Spirits to Rising Tide.

It was generally liked, took a bit of getting used to though, but it wasn't considered horrible at the beginning and our biggest problem with it was the loss of our EXP bars above our heads.

This change, on the other hand.... well.... I'm pretty sure all the threads about this speak for themselves. Perhaps they should consult the players before making unwanted "improvements" next time? Maybe?

I was actually fine with that change considering it was with a whole new expansion. Maybe they should have saved all this **** for a new expansion. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to change the look of something when nothing it really going on. I bet we probably wouldn't have cared as much had it been something we were told about before that it was going to happen or if we it were at least partially expected from a new expansion or something of the like. We would have been more 'Hey, they changed the look for the expansion' like we did back then rather than 'hey, they changed the look at complete random to **** everyone off.' b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wonderful drawing of Shivalia done by the ever talented Shirrii of Heavens Tear. b:heart Much love to you forever!
  • X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear
    X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,301 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Personally I'm happy with the changes, but it seems like a marmite thing, so maybe have an option in settings to revert it back to old if u need to? Wouldn't take much to impliment as you still have coding for the old UI?
  • Kephras - Heavens Tear
    Kephras - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,472 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Aside from the broken menus, which I expect will get fixed, the only change I really hate with any measurable degree is those stupid unnecessary channel boxes. [World] chat is yellow. We know. Faction is teal, squad is green, ect. The colors have a learning curve a goldfish with dementia could handle, the boxes are completely redundant. Hopefully those can be removed and the earth may resume spinning on its correct axis.
  • Shivalia - Lost City
    edited August 2010
    Aside from the broken menus, which I expect will get fixed, the only change I really hate with any measurable degree is those stupid unnecessary channel boxes. [World] chat is yellow. We know. Faction is teal, squad is green, ect. The colors have a learning curve a goldfish with dementia could handle, the boxes are completely redundant. Hopefully those can be removed and the earth may resume spinning on its correct axis.

Honestly that's all I care about too. I can even deal with the glitches made by the font change, honestly. I've dealt with it before and I still can, but I honestly hate those boxes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mraochan - Lost City
    edited August 2010

Lol'd @ "goldfish with dementia" - exactly.

Thanks for the much-needed lol
  • Cervantia - Sanctuary
    Cervantia - Sanctuary Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I still can't believe they call our squads team now and our factions guilds... it's so wrong and shows so well how little the devs know of their player base... *wants overpaint the guild/team icons*
    Cervantia BM 100 / Calivthel Cleric 101 / Davinella Archer 9x
    Kachengy Seeker 8x / Pianna Wizard 8x

I need neither goons nor powerleveling.
    Addicted to PW since Mai 09.
    Factionless.
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I still can't believe they call our squads team now and our factions guilds... it's so wrong and shows so well how little the devs know of their player base... *wants overpaint the guild/team icons*

I've always said guild - don't think I've ever referred to it as a faction b:chuckle

Come to think of it, I don't believe I've ever called a party a squad either.

That said, the tags must die.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • OneHottShot - Heavens Tear
    OneHottShot - Heavens Tear Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited August 2010

Well thats true, the last expansion wasn't really needed either. No one was griping about the fact that there was only 6 classes.

It needs a lot of work, mainly where they messed stuff up. Everyone hates the tags, I personally like them I think it makes the chat more organized looking. But it is something they could implement that could be turned on and off just like the chat channels.

Really.. I tried to do a thread of all the good but it was slammed and moved to lower depths b/c no 1 angry wants to think any of this is positive. I may not like ALL of the updates but I really think it was a step in the right direction.

I am super excited about the new stuff coming up too. Thnx!
  • ViciousMinx - Dreamweaver
    ViciousMinx - Dreamweaver Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited August 2010

[FORUM]ViciousMinx Sleek and modern is not a good fit to a game such as this. Would you take a game based in ancient Rome and give it sleek jelly futuristic controls ? No you would not. The same applies here. Also there are genie skills that show the incorrect affinities. Example being hollow fist which has wood 4 ,wood 4.
  • teethewicked
    teethewicked Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I agree with you on all the things you said need to be fixed. I think there's something you're not getting though - for ME and ALOT of others, IT ACTUALLY GIVES US A HEADACHE LOOKING AT IT. I'm not joking. It's painful. I also wear glasses and play on a 26'' monitor higher than 1280x resolution. For me, it's terrible. For you it's not. I'm jealous, seriously.

Along those lines, a question for you: When the old UI was around, were you aware of any single person that complained about it? None of the 110 people in my (lvl3, never going to TW now) guild did! None of my friends in my always-full friends list did!

And on a sidenote, I'm not one to look for things to complain about. I despise those people. I've played for over a year and a half and never posted ANYTHING in the forums until this last update.

To each his/her own, just my 2 cents... ^^

Oh no, your opinion is just as valid as mine, and so is everyone else's. My opinion holds equal value, no more, no less. The point I was trying to make is that this is a cosmetic change, for the most part. If it is giving you headaches, then that is not a good thing. But then again, the human eye is not meant to adjust to such things as suddent changes like this, so it is obvious it was going to give headaches. I thinkt he errors with the genie menu and others are the root cause of this, if they had not been left for us to deal with, I think everyone would have adjusted a little better.
    Of course, I don't look at the chat very often, as I am a loner ingame. I don't do factions, I have very few friends, and I solo pretty much everything. That may be why I am not getting a headache.
    Which, honestly, this is why I think this game should give the option of choosing your own chat layout. I have seen other MMO's I played in the past do such a thing, they even allowed the use of player-made layouts or "skins" as they were called, for the game. Unfortunately, most of the higher-ups seems extremely stingy(to a stupid level) as far as game files go, so this kind of thing will most likely not be happening.
    Don't be jealous of my boogie.
    Trainer%20Card.jpg
  • teethewicked
    teethewicked Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Sleek and modern is not a good fit to a game such as this. Would you take a game based in ancient Rome and give it sleek jelly futuristic controls ? No you would not. The same applies here. Also there are genie skills that show the incorrect affinities. Example being hollow fist which has wood 4 ,wood 4.

That argument has been used in other subjects of controversy in PWI(Same-sex marriage for one) and it FAILS. Because there are already things in the game that break that argument, such as the "modern" fashions we have available.
    Don't be jealous of my boogie.
    Trainer%20Card.jpg
  • ViciousMinx - Dreamweaver
    ViciousMinx - Dreamweaver Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    That argument has been used in other subjects of controversy in PWI(Same-sex marriage for one) and it FAILS. Because there are already things in the game that break that argument, such as the "modern" fashions we have available.

[FORUM]ViciousMinx How does it fail? Modern fashions should never have been introduced in to this game to begin with. Same sex marriage has NOT been included because it is recent abomination on our culture here in the west. Last I heard it is also illegal in most countries of the world. Why would it be included ?
  • ShadesGlory - Heavens Tear
    ShadesGlory - Heavens Tear Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    [FORUM] Now we have gone completely off topic, all we want is the UI sorting out, someone made a comment that it gives them a headache
    for ME and ALOT of others, IT ACTUALLY GIVES US A HEADACHE LOOKING AT IT.

Well i can agree with this one, i can play PWI for 10 - 15 hours in one stretch, now i can't even play for an hour without a headache from the UI, therefore i have decided to quit playing PWI until the UI is fixed and maybe even then i won't play. I feel that the GM's, Designers or whoever is responsible for the changes in PWi don't actually care what we think. Why should i know spend money on a game where the people in charge don't care as long as they get paid?
  • Mraochan - Lost City
    edited August 2010
    Oh no, your opinion is just as valid as mine, and so is everyone else's. My opinion holds equal value, no more, no less. The point I was trying to make is that this is a cosmetic change, for the most part. If it is giving you headaches, then that is not a good thing. But then again, the human eye is not meant to adjust to such things as suddent changes like this, so it is obvious it was going to give headaches. I thinkt he errors with the genie menu and others are the root cause of this, if they had not been left for us to deal with, I think everyone would have adjusted a little better.
    Of course, I don't look at the chat very often, as I am a loner ingame. I don't do factions, I have very few friends, and I solo pretty much everything. That may be why I am not getting a headache.
    Which, honestly, this is why I think this game should give the option of choosing your own chat layout. I have seen other MMO's I played in the past do such a thing, they even allowed the use of player-made layouts or "skins" as they were called, for the game. Unfortunately, most of the higher-ups seems extremely stingy(to a stupid level) as far as game files go, so this kind of thing will most likely not be happening.

Skins, yes ^^ very good.. options! xD
  • Basingeth - Lost City
    Basingeth - Lost City Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Sadly I must agree with the sentiments that it gives people headaches, specifically the chatbox. I now play with my chatbox minimized and kept blank because it will give me a migraine if I attempt to keep track of it. I've been using individual/minimizable chat boxes for everything now.

Perhaps, getting rid of the tags and going back to the constant colors will fix this. Having a rainbow in my chat box makes it stressful to decipher what is actually happening.

Also, please fix all of the disporportionate text sizes. Half of the actual buttons I click the words are bigger then the button. It looks very unprofessional and rushed.
  • Brentena - Heavens Tear
    Brentena - Heavens Tear Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    please change all fonts back to the original b:shocked

personally, I've heard no complaints of people with bad vision that they couldn't read it, nor will blind ppl be helped with this

it's just horror to see our so familiar UI ruined (just have a look at genie and char info screen)
    btw i don't believe u actually believe that it's an improvement, devs just made a mistake and put everything in Arial 12 or something rofl

UI change is actually what made me quit the game I played before this one, together with the commercial greed of the ppl behind it ofc, so ...

WAY TO GO PWI !!

p.s.: item linking is nice, I don't want to be only negative
    item linking without font change would be even nicer !
  • Flinderlien - Heavens Tear
    Flinderlien - Heavens Tear Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    The new UI is I guess the devs freaky way of using reverse psychology on our toons. I mean DAMN we already small, then we get a friggin font 500x bigger than our toons, man wtf b:shocked
  • Kai_Umi - Heavens Tear
    Kai_Umi - Heavens Tear Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Something awesome too is when you click the tiny ( - ) on bottom of the general chat it was used to have a ( + ) too bring that chat back, that not the case anymore (gotta relog).......
  • DarkSelene - Sanctuary
    DarkSelene - Sanctuary Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    [Forum] Well,what can i say?? My opinion is not a good one, the item linking is great BUT the size of the front for genies and skills makes me desperately ask myself "How did this happen??"b:sad also there are many other graphic problems, like the shops and the genie experience infuse.... now may i ask, why did we need this patch??I so want the old pwi back...
  • Boogiepanda - Raging Tide
    Boogiepanda - Raging Tide Posts: 4,682 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    [FORUM]boogiepanda: The UI is just lol. We have alot of complaints in both the new UI and the TW changes. Yet the devs and GMs are still not recognising this as a fail patch. Rofl more..
This discussion has been closed.