Venomancer Build?

riventzel
riventzel Posts: 4 Arc User
edited August 2010 in Venomancer
I got confused while reading the guide for what armor to wear etc. Anyone know what is a good build for soloing? And is this class mainly only magic or can we also attack physically?
Post edited by riventzel on

Comments

• xryuurux
    xryuurux Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    well I'm Kind of new to Pw i have a LvL 13 Venomancer and shes pritty tough i have 35 str and i think under 15 for the other stats xD but i manage to fight well solo and pvp she wears the heavy armor along with my wolfling Fang<bwahah my wolfs name> and we are able to kill 3-5 lvls higher then are selfs with alil trouble with 4 and 5 but we pull threw if you want to know about the rest of my stats though say xNarux Im usually chilling in a City or out and about give me a shout and i'll tell yea the rest
  • Repunsel - Heavens Tear
    Repunsel - Heavens Tear Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    if you want to deal good damage then put mag wep with minimal str for your weapon requirements put no dex I myself like to keep my vit around equal with my str put everything else into mag. This build relies on it's pet if you want to pvp make a warrior
  • suicune
    suicune Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    these are from the guide.i dont think they're very hard to get

mage armor(high magic attack with low physical def)
    2vit 1str 7int every 2 lvl

light armor(good overall def)<--- i use this xD
    2str 2dex 6int every 2 lvl

heavy armor build(high physical def low magic) i have no idea on this but sum ppl have told me to go
    1str 1dex and 3vit per lvl
    this build would be full time foxform i guess e.e idk it seems like a waste to me then again i've never tried it
  • francor
    francor Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Can anyone link me a good leveling build for a Venomancer and help with what kinds of weapons that are best for me?
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Arcane armour.
    Magic weapons.

Done.
  • affelia
    affelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Im aiming for a strong and high defence and deals awesome damage.
    But the guides only confuse me too, wich build and armor and weapons should i use?
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    And again:
    Arcane armour.
    Magic weapons.

Done.

If you want "What should I do?" then I'm just going to tell you the build I used.

If you want to employ some thoughts then sorry, but you're going to have to accept that everything is a compromise.

What weapons should you use is the ONE simple thing. You use the "magic weapons" tree. Any of them, the highest level one you can equip. you need 3 points of magic each level for that, and without one equipped you can't use any of your spells or other attacks. So use those weapons. This is not optional.

Arcane gives you the highest magic, which gives you the best attacks (although they still pale compared to wizard, or even cleric, attacks later on in the game)
    You can compromise attacks for a bit more survival by using some vitality for more hitpoints.

Light gives you more physical defence - which is good against some monsters, but less magical defence, which is bad for other monsters. You also have less magic attack, and no points spare for any vitality.
    On the third paw, you get a higher critical rate - which can be good (big attacks are good and bad (because as a veno you usually want to not attract the monsters attention)

Then heavy/arcane which is too complicated for this guide but gives you the very best defence options possible.

Veno's will never deal 'awesome damage'. We deal a very good total amount of damage over time, and our debuffs improve the damage of the squad as a whole, whilst our pets add their own damage to the mix.
    But we'll never have the sheer damage output of a high-end wizard or archer.

And yes - a veno can be built to attack physically. This means that you will mainly use foxform, and will want more strength and magic than an arcane veno gets - which pretty much means the light armour build. (Again, heavy+arcane is too complicated for this guide)
  • Mystic-Night - Heavens Tear
    Mystic-Night - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    if you want to pvp make a warrior

wtf? lol -_-
  • Shadowmew - Heavens Tear
    Shadowmew - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    no way ppl

a veno must have a light armor build they need more defense

otherways when your pet is dead you can get couple of hits and with light armor you can hold more hits then with arcaneb:victory
  • Zylphia_ - Heavens Tear
    Zylphia_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Well when I first rolled my original venomancer back in Oct 2008 I didn't know a thing about MMORPGs to begin with lol... but one thing I really enjoyed was having really great physical defense while still doing a decent amount of damage. So I started out as early as my 20s or so, using heavy armor. Knowing nothing about equipment that helps add stats I kinda struggled at first. Then did some research on how to do this build right, and had a lot of fun with it when I made this venomancer.

I guess for what you want to do, I would honestly suggest trying out all three possible builds. I did that in my 80s.

I decided for some odd reason that being arcane would help me solo TTs easier than being HA and I thought if I could do that, I'd be able to raise more money to better do the HA build. But I honesty have to say, other than a higher amount of health restored to my pet each heal, I didn't notice any incredible difference. lol. Many people say you can use channeling equips with arcane armor build, where the HA you can't... but even that isn't true if you're smart about it. I could use plenty of channeling equipment if I wanted to.

But anyway, if you really enjoy nuking things, a pure magic build would probably be your best bet. Only problem with something like that, like someone mentioned above me, is that you can pull the monster onto yourself from your pet. It's best, in my opinion, to have that good defense in the case that it does happen, just so you're not two shotted and left lying on the ground somewhere begging for a res lol.

And even as an HA build, I still pull agro from my herc all the time, even though he's my own level and has maxed skills...

As for the Light Armor build, I imagine the extra critical strike rate is nice. The balanced nature of LA would give you overall good defenses. I noticed when I went that build for a short time as well, that it just felt like it wasn't enough in either area, which is what they usually say about LA to begin with.

But like I said, don't take anyones' word for it which build is "the best" build. It's something you really need to try and see what you think for yourself. You probably could try it in your 30s and 40s just to get an idea, without it being too expensive. Or roll different venomancers each one following one of the different builds since reset notes are really expensive now. Depends on how much time you have though lol. But either way, I think it will take getting into the game and trying out different things for you to make a final decision. :)

Good luck!
  • Iyzebel - Lost City
    Iyzebel - Lost City Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    no way ppl

otherways when your pet is dead you can get couple of hits and with light armor you can hold more hits then with arcane

u fail Mr at my lv with arcane i have more hp/p def/m atack than an veno with same grade equips/same grade gems,he got onle best crit rate....an vit-arcane built is best for venos...if u are cash-shoper use 1 vit each lv ...if not,,,cape your vit at 50,,,use STR to can use gear and rest to magicb:shutup
  • LinneaSage - Raging Tide
    LinneaSage - Raging Tide Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    suicune wrote: »
    these are from the guide.i dont think they're very hard to get
    heavy armor build(high physical def low magic) i have no idea on this but sum ppl have told me to go
    1str 1dex and 3vit per lvl
    this build would be full time foxform i guess e.e idk it seems like a waste to me then again i've never tried it

Couple problems with this statement.

A.) You can't really give a set amount of points per level for heavy armor, as you have to get a lot from equips, since you'll always be short.
    B.) Your "heavy armor build" lacks any magic at all. If you're going heavy armor, I'd assume, just like with LA, you can't add vit. And it's easiest, if you really want to start from a low level, to at least have 3 mag per level, so you can wear up-to-date magic weps.

@ the people saying LA is the only way to go: Heavy armor is MUCH better than LA at high levels, because you have added damage in fox form, whereas LA doesn't give you any added damage, only criticals, which aren't really reliable. An HA-AA hybrid build gives you enough mag and phys def that neither is totally gimped, and the loss in mag attack is worth the higher defense.

I'm currently a vit-arcane, and I like it, but I might restat to HA when I hit ~80 so I'm not as squishy. LA seems like a waste to me.
  • Myalt - Raging Tide
    Myalt - Raging Tide Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Arcane armour.
    Magic weapons.

Done.

This. Go 1str 9mag / every 2 lvls, or add some vit if you like. I personally have 55 base vit (almost 90 with gear), 55str and rest mag at lvl96. I love this build, the extra HP I get from vit and citrines is lovely. Get p.def necklace and belt, maybe some garnets in helm or cape, it should be enough, you will have a pet to tank for you anyways. You can always switch to fox form for more p.def if you're in trouble or use Bramble hood and Feral concentration. Arcane Armor is better than Light in the long run.
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    no way ppl

otherways when your pet is dead you can get couple of hits and with light armor you can hold more hits then with arcaneb:victory

arcane robes b:spit I hate that armor the most... they should roll wizzie or cleric, or even psychic if they want to use arcane .... xD BMs out damage venoes anyways and at endgame, if built right, they have great offense and defense. People complaining about Nirvana now well the ones wearing arcane robes

Like this person
    Yes, GMs or Devs (whoever is resposible) made it impossible for a Arcane to do Nirvana now, thanks alot bunch of **** heads

Now i get continues agro with my +10 nirvana glaive, not their ranged magic attack, no, their Melee physical attack on my Arcane armor, wtfffff .................

FIX IT!

found in this thread
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • Zylphia_ - Heavens Tear
    Zylphia_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    @ the people saying LA is the only way to go: Heavy armor is MUCH better than LA at high levels, because you have added damage in fox form, whereas LA doesn't give you any added damage, only criticals, which aren't really reliable. An HA-AA hybrid build gives you enough mag and phys def that neither is totally gimped, and the loss in mag attack is worth the higher defense.

I'm currently a vit-arcane, and I like it, but I might restat to HA when I hit ~80 so I'm not as squishy. LA seems like a waste to me.

^ This!!

I forgot to mention that I do switch to arcane robes when I need to, so like Linnea said here, you're never really completely gimped. IMO HA is the smartest option if you like a challenge and having more options. But if you want to do what everyone else seems to think is best, that's up to you lol. Not to say that HA is the best build there is, I just find it extremely fun since I like to use magic and fox form equally. And it does seem to provide the best defense all around from my experience.

In end game levels your gear will really improve your survivability as well, with any build.
  • Silest - Sanctuary
    Silest - Sanctuary Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    arcane robes b:spit I hate that armor the most... they should roll wizzie or cleric, or even psychic if they want to use arcane .... xD BMs out damage venoes anyways and at endgame, if built right,

A BM should quit now if he's outdamaged by a veno.. built right or not.
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    My veno is LA and all I ever do is auto attack and pet heal... most of the time... HA venoes are good. But arcane venoes do stink. Lacking half the skills, teribble accuracy for never ending killing or long boss fights, not much opportunity to use absolutely no potions. only thing i find arcanes useful is better pet healing. On top of that, you can still get -chan on light armor... proof from someone showing it on the forums called "most 1337 ****" if I remember... arcane have such pitiful p.def... My LA veno have 1.4k p.def at level 26 while offering better dps than a pure mag veno if i spam fox wallop and befudding mist.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • Vixter - Harshlands
    Vixter - Harshlands Posts: 1,275 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    LA might be pointless in some peoples eyes but even if you think so, dont think so harsly on it

every build is good in its own way

arcane good for either high HP (if vit build) or high dmg (if mag build) and of course, high mag def, which may not be able to tank phy attacking bosses, but most bosses do have their own magic attack when standing back far away, so they can tank magic attacking bosses.

heavy is good for pvp because of the defenses. if u can refine and shard well, nice hp too. the magic attack with heavy armor is what gets me... thats pretty much the only reason i dont want to do heavy armor. at 90, unless u can find some really nice accessories, you probably cant hold a lvl 90 magic weapon. id rather sacrifice some defense for better magic attack, im not too big of a fan in fighting in fox form.

thats why i chose light armor. i can afford refines and shards, so my hp is good, and ive often seen it better than arcane users. not as much in defenses, but well in attack. more accuracy then both builds, so fighting in fox form isnt worthless with light armor (can be done pretty well with heavy though). also, might not seem like a big deal, but i really, really, love hitting crits.

bash me all u want but nothing is going to change my mind ^^ and thats what everyone should think about their own build. do what you want with your character dont let anyone tell u that u are fail.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vixter (101 Heavy Veno) ~ TT farmer
    Peachie (102 Mystic) ~ Main character
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I thought yulk stopped posting on the forums. Looks like I was dead wrong.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Mauntille - Heavens Tear
    Mauntille - Heavens Tear Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    This topic has been beaten to death. There are pros and cons to all builds; just pick one that fist your playing style.

Nice necro btw.
  • blizzypol
    blizzypol Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Ehh. I thought that LA is nice too. But it is not. And if you don't know what you are talking about then just don't do it.
    My veno is LA and all I ever do is auto attack and pet heal... most of the time...

I guess I won't comment it...
    HA venoes are good.

You got anything to prove that other than the fact that everyone is saying that?
    But arcane venoes do stink. Lacking half the skills, teribble accuracy

If you use anything other than debuff or amplify (well, and mayby occasional Stunning Blow) in pvp - you do it wrong. And they don't need accuracy.
    for never ending killing or long boss fights, not much opportunity to use absolutely no potions.

Ehh, seriously wut? What the hell do you mean? You think that LA veno would make more dmg with this pityful patk than AA (well ANY veno tbh) with ANY matk? ANd I don't even understand second part of this sentence, sorry.
    only thing i find arcanes useful is better pet healing. On top of that, you can still get -chan on light armor... proof from someone showing it on the forums called "most 1337 ****"

Lol. And you can't get -chant on AA? I won't comment rest of this sentence...
    if I remember... arcane have such pitiful p.def... My LA veno have 1.4k p.def at level 26

Vit AA got almost the same or even more pdef than LA veno.
    while offering better dps than a pure mag veno if i spam fox wallop and befudding mist.

LOL. Just LOL.
  • Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary
    Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    LA might be pointless in some peoples eyes but even if you think so, dont think so harsly on it

every build is good in its own way

arcane good for either high HP (if vit build) or high dmg (if mag build) and of course, high mag def, which may not be able to tank phy attacking bosses, but most bosses do have their own magic attack when standing back far away, so they can tank magic attacking bosses.

heavy is good for pvp because of the defenses. if u can refine and shard well, nice hp too. the magic attack with heavy armor is what gets me... thats pretty much the only reason i dont want to do heavy armor. at 90, unless u can find some really nice accessories, you probably cant hold a lvl 90 magic weapon. id rather sacrifice some defense for better magic attack, im not too big of a fan in fighting in fox form.

thats why i chose light armor. i can afford refines and shards, so my hp is good, and ive often seen it better than arcane users. not as much in defenses, but well in attack. more accuracy then both builds, so fighting in fox form isnt worthless with light armor (can be done pretty well with heavy though). also, might not seem like a big deal, but i really, really, love hitting crits.

bash me all u want but nothing is going to change my mind ^^ and thats what everyone should think about their own build. do what you want with your character dont let anyone tell u that u are fail.

I too used to be light armor from lvl 60-90. Pre 60 I was arcane, because well its just easier to lvl with. I restatted to light at 60, to try and see if i liked using foxform, because i had no experience with it then. I didnt like it at first, but eventually came to love it, so I stuck with the LA. Then I came across the heavy veno thread, and thought it was interesting, and wanted to try it out. It looked hard to do, but i tested some alt venos with heavy, but I couldnt get around to figuring out how to do it right. Finally by lvl 80 I decided that at lvl 90 I was gonna restat to heavy. I spent my whole 8x lvls farming TTs for my mats and saving up money for refines, shards, +stat ortaments, and my reset scroll.
    I knew at lvl 90 i was gonna be able to use TT90heavy and wear a TT90 glaive because of all the things i had gathered. So once I hit 90 I finally got to use my new equips upgraded from my 7x legendary light armor, and I'd have to say its probably my best achievement in game so far, probably more than my herc. I do have to say that my magic attack isnt bad. I'm still able to run TTs solo even better than i did as LA, because my surviabilty is up that much. Of course i wont have the best magic attack and definately not as good as as pure mage, but compared to alot of light venos, and vit-arcane venos, the magic attack is nearly the same. And i've hardly ever pvped on my veno. The main reason i did heavy was because of how i play in pve.
    >.<
  • SeaStorm - Heavens Tear
    SeaStorm - Heavens Tear Posts: 315 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    LA sage veno ~98 vs AA sage veno 101

In a discussion about builds between a LA Sage Veno (her) and an AA Sage Veno (me). She is debating restating from LA to AA for her TT99 gear. We discovered that in mage or fox form I had more Physical Defense than she did. If I was wearing my channeling gear I had over 2k hp more than she did, if I put on my vit gear (fire boss warsong ---- grrrr) I had even more HP. I also had over 3k higher magic defense (this was the only one we expected to be higher). My base dex is ~5. Magic attacks were slightly better but as I can rotate weapons mine changes.

I fight in mage and I fight in fox form depending on needs and which skills I'll be using more frequently.

Discussion ended with her commenting that she had a lot to think about. PW Calc is good for somethings....

Bottom line...your char, your gear, your play style, your choice....there is no right or wrong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Silest - Sanctuary
    Silest - Sanctuary Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    My veno is LA and all I ever do is auto attack and pet heal... most of the time... HA venoes are good. But arcane venoes do stink. Lacking half the skills, teribble accuracy for never ending killing or long boss fights, not much opportunity to use absolutely no potions. only thing i find arcanes useful is better pet healing. On top of that, you can still get -chan on light armor... proof from someone showing it on the forums called "most 1337 ****" if I remember... arcane have such pitiful p.def... My LA veno have 1.4k p.def at level 26 while offering better dps than a pure mag veno if i spam fox wallop and befudding mist.

You know yulk, I was one of the few people here not grilling you for every non-sensical post you made, but forget it. This here is the end of the line.

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.

Where the **** do you get your conclusion from?

I have all my skills and I use foxform even in AA(I have 221 mag, oops, that's gimp rite?!). Only a IDIOT would ignore Foxform no matter what the build. You gonna pass up amplify and purge? Nothing says you have to stay in either form full time furthermore, I'd like to know where it's said that foxform is exclusive to certain builds. A good strategic veno uses both and doesn't let their armor build dictate how they should play.

Furthermore, we aren't a melee class - WE AREN'T BLADEMASTERS. You make it sound like AA gimps our ability to do any form of damage and that we die in 10 seconds. The latter part is true, but with all that magic attack, what the hell is going to live long enough to hit you, besides a boss or an elite mob? And LOL even then, you can switch to foxform and live another day. Oh wow, soul transfusion to swap MP with HP if you're gonna die. WOW, we have so many survival tools!

Your level 26 veno out dpsing a pure mag veno of the same level.. wow...

Uhm that's nothing to brag about and it proves only that said veno is not statting right. Most people who do not do research may think, AA = pure mage, and forget about putting 7/8/9 points into mag. A bare minimum AA veno.

You came to the veno forum because it appears you'll be met with the least resistence. since everyone in general discussion flamed you out of there.

I'm saying, I don't wont to read your **** in this forum. GET OUT and STAY OUT. LEARN HOW TO PLAY AND GAIN SOME EXPERIENCE. AND DO NOT POST BULL**** INFO ABOUT OUR CLASS.
  • Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary
    Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited August 2010

Furthermore, we aren't a melee class .

While i do deeply appreciate you bashing Yulk the troll b:thanks....

I'll have to say that venos are sort of a mellee class from foxform, but from human form its magic, as we all know. So technically, we really should be saying that venos are a hybrid class.
    >.<
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    all I ever do is auto attack and pet heal...

then you're a lazy-**** veno who aren't getting much anything out of the class.

the whole point about venomancers is adaptability and flexibility, the fact that you can play the class most any which way and still get by. but this also means that, in order to get the most out of a veno, you have to try a lot of things; to maximize the utility of that flexibility, you have to keep busy. and that's not always easy, not when it's so very possible and tempting to play lazy-veno doing nothing but auto attack and pet heal, and still get by.

much as i dislike tweakz for his trolling, he gets one thing right; a veno should be keeping busy using all the class can do, as much of the time as possible. spamming an attack and pet heal is only acceptable while PvE grinding on same-level mobs one at a time, and only barely acceptable then.

(heck, i'm getting my main to the point where it's dangerous to play lazy like that; i steal aggro from the pet and then have to think fast to fix it. i HAVE TO pay more attention and be more creative, because even a cheaply-geared vit veno puts out more DPS than many free pets can outbalance, past level forty-something or so. i need to spend more spirit on my fox skills...)
    arcane venoes do stink. Lacking half the skills, teribble accuracy for never ending killing or long boss fights, not much opportunity to use absolutely no potions.

whatever it is you're smoking, quit.
    arcane have such pitiful p.def...

true. so? we don't get hit anyways, not unless we royally **** something up to the point we deserve to get killed for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    blizzypol wrote: »
    If you use anything other than debuff or amplify (well, and mayby occasional Stunning Blow) in pvp - you do it wrong.

When most players are 2-3 hit kills for me, why would I want to waste or risk time getting close, debuffing, and amping? Sure in TW on catas, I'd want to be debuffing, but that's not all the time.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • blizzypol
    edited August 2010
    tweakz wrote: »
    When most players are 2-3 hit kills for me, why would I want to waste or risk time getting close, debuffing, and amping? Sure in TW on catas, I'd want to be debuffing, but that's not all the time.

Where the hell I said that you MUST debuff and amp ALL possible targets?
  • xxxdsmer
    xxxdsmer Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    blizzypol wrote: »
    (insert w/e quoted msg about HA veno is good here)

You got anything to prove that other than the fact that everyone is saying that?

just find a good HA/AA veno on your server and they'll show you b:chuckle
    (after you level your archer past 4, or stop hiding behind a lowb alt to post on the forum lol)
    i'm pro all classes, and against none in particular..
    but the age old QQ about venos is just that. OLD.
    QQ'd about a nix lately? check out this thread n tell me who's "OP" lol..
    (copy and paste this to address bar):
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=102172
  • blizzypol
    edited August 2010
    xxxdsmer wrote: »
    just find a good HA/AA veno on your server and they'll show you b:chuckle
    (after you level your archer past 4, or stop hiding behind a lowb alt to post on the forum lol)

I am not playing on PWI nooblet. And I actually think that making lvl 96 without any xp stones is worth more than 101 with x100000 exp stones and x10000 exp events every week.

Now go troll someone else.