What ARE BM's supposed to do in squads?

Ow - Dreamweaver
Ow - Dreamweaver Posts: 98 Arc User
edited August 2010 in Blademaster
I reread the stickied blademaster guides... and there was nothing. Did a search with keywords "BM" and "squad" to no avail.

I did my BH39 today for the first time without a level 70+ in it. We were all level 5x. Which was actually a surprise to me. Not that I don't appreciate the level 70's trying to help, but it really doesn't help me to learn my class.

I realized I didn't really know what to do. We had a barb, a cleric, two mages, an archer, and me.

I started off running ahead with the barb and attempting to help clear the way... but the barb kept stealing the agro from me, even when I was fine with taking all the hits they were dishing out.

and then I decided to lay back and try to be a bodyguard to the other squishies who couldn't really take hits from the mobs... (that was after the cleric died once because I couldn't get there fast enough and the barb used his roar to steal the agro from me). But that was too boring for me.

I mean, I'm just a DD right? but I don't want to steal agro... and I want to save the squishies... so what AM I really supposed to do in a squad? I mean, I'm trying to learn now so I don't fail up my squads in the future when it actually matters.
Post edited by Ow - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Grandisfanum - Sanctuary
    Grandisfanum - Sanctuary Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    A Bm is not really a pure DD class except fist BM XDD
    But more its a supporter class. Your helping the squad not die. If Archer, wizzy etc takes Aggro you take the agro over so they wont die and the squads gonna wiped out. Later in the 90s you get partly tanking too. But mainly your a supporter. WIth HF the dmg amp, with MST the phys/mag att reduction and so on. And if you want to save the squishys you have to take the aggro on you so they don't take dmg and so dont die.

Hope this helps you :)
  • MrBladey - Lost City
    MrBladey - Lost City Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    In a squad a BM should always have roar on cooldown. Just stunning and DDing in general. Throughing an amp with dragons when you have chi. This is pretty much the basics of what your role is, hope I'm not oversimplifying it.
    For honor...
    For glory...
    FOR E-PEEN!
  • Okeano - Harshlands
    Okeano - Harshlands Posts: 4,943 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    My BM's always ahead of Barb in instances with exception of FC. It's just usually faster for BM to stun and tank the mobs. Just make sure the Cleric knows that's what you are doing and you are not just ahead not getting healed.

Keep your eyes on squad's HP at all time. You need to watch it almost as much as Clerics do. Roar's your #1 skill, put it somewhere close to your left hand. Get Alpha Male for your PvE genie and use it to pull aggro back from DD's.
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    I'd also add that at lower levels, especially if you are a 3/2 build, your HP tends to be pretty low. If you know that you won't survive all the mobs ahead, let the barb do that. For example, the exploding mobs in 39 have killed plenty of BMs since they think they can take three at the same time. There's no use for a BM that runs ahead and dies when the squad could have done it with just barb rushing and BM assisting. At 59 it chances; I can easily solo every mob in there and people tend to kill mobs one at a time since most of them got either a ranged or magic attack. I won't comment on 51 since I didn't even have fists back then and I've only done it with one char.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • Lylfo - Dreamweaver
    Lylfo - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    A BM is fine out at the front lines. And the barb grabbing your aggro is fine too. DD is supposed to focus fire on what the barb is tanking at the moment. Use your stuns and other skills to help speed things up a little.

When you reach level 59, get your axe ulti or spear ulti to speed things up even more. AoE if you see the barb not grabbing aggro of all mobs, BM can protect the cleric/squishies quite well. Stun mobs coming to your ranged DDs.

There are more things that can come with experience, just watch what other BMs do in squad.
    Thanks Chillum for the nice Sig.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • __Nanayo__ - Dreamweaver
    __Nanayo__ - Dreamweaver Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Oversimplified Objective: Hold things down with stuns or sheer damage aggro (which may or may not be possible given yours or your squadmate's gear setup) while you and everyone else beats the hell out of it until it looks something like overused Play-Doh.

Not-So-Oversimplified Version: We're a jack/jill-of-all-trades class, and our role in any given squad is to fill in gaps that lack of other classes creates. Whether it be tanking ourselves, off-tanking mobs that the main tank misses, stunning mobs or knocking them around so squishy DDs can kill it, or just punching the ever-loving @#$% out of things until they die. Experience will give you the ability to figure out your role in any given squad, and what tools and skills you'll need to do it.

In other words...what they said. XD;;;
  • Aelo - Harshlands
    Aelo - Harshlands Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Stun, DD, AOE, amp, spell interupt (shadowless kick lvl 1), backup tank and even sometimes be the main tank. All of these are roles I have played in dungeon runs. A good bm is always useful in a dungeon.
  • BIaze_ - Heavens Tear
    BIaze_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    nothing at all
  • Ranfa - Dreamweaver
    Ranfa - Dreamweaver Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    You can be anything you want, really. Just as long as you remember your fundamentals (stunlock, AoEs, debuffs, etc.).
  • Cozza - Dreamweaver
    Cozza - Dreamweaver Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    The ultimate aspirations of any BM should be to humour the squad by Rambo-ing aggro in FCs. :)
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    I am assuming this is your first character. The basics are pretty easy.

You act as off tank(if you aren't tanking). This means you catch any adds/patrols that can sneak up on the squad or those that get by the tank. Skills you'll find useful for this will be drakes ray, roar of the pride and aoe attacks.

As you get new skills apply them as the situations calls for.
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Also, never worry about doing wrong when you are still learning. Being overconfident sucks too though.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • FateBlade - Lost City
    FateBlade - Lost City Posts: 519 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    BM - Support DD - But also can be a tank.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pyrya - Archosaur
    Pyrya - Archosaur Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Being a BM is pretty simple really, you run around naked screaming like a banshee aggroing everything, eventually dying and ending up a corpse in a sea of mobs where the cleric can't get to you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nasuchi - Sanctuary
    Nasuchi - Sanctuary Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Drake Bash is nice to use if your Barb fails at aggroing a mob when the Veno is pulling.
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    Telarith - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Drake Bash is nice to use if your Barb fails at aggroing a mob when the Veno is pulling.

MSS is my fav for that; it is ranged unlike Drake Bash, debuffs the damage of the mob to help veno live, and demonized has chance to stun as well. And reduces damage you take as you close to melee.
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

Get a High lvl Fist warrior use it, Restat to axes. GG - complexx

:NOTE: These signatures are to forever immortalize, how stupid people can be.
  • Kniraven - Lost City
    Kniraven - Lost City Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    MSS is my fav for that; it is ranged unlike Drake Bash, debuffs the damage of the mob to help veno live, and demonized has chance to stun as well. And reduces damage you take as you close to melee.

I use drakes ray. It is ranged and quickly cast.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    bm job is easy

are the mobs/squadmates around you still alive?

if yes kill them all of them

(MSS = amazing boss catching skill)
    Gifs are hard to make work here
  • Lylfo - Dreamweaver
    Lylfo - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Some BMs I know use the lvl79 seal skill to save my **** a couple of times too.
    Thanks Chillum for the nice Sig.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cinnastix
    cinnastix Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    I'd honestly say as a BM IMO that we are the party savers. When somebody takes too many mobs in a BH or something, we are the ones that help out. With our increased run speed skills i find myself running to the back to save the cleric and squishies with the variety of stuns at my disposal. If something ever happens to the party... I risk my life to protect from a party wipe... If i die... its easy i get rezzed from cleric... but if the party dies we wait a VERY long time for the party to get rezzed when the cleric gets back. The other day i found myself at Wyv from a party wipe. I couldn't really help the situation there... But 3 of our players were under Wyv and that was a huge problem. I found myself taking aggro and running away to give time for the cleric to rez everybody and for them to run to the corner before he got back. The people in the BH51 usually will friend request me to do more parties later. I almost ALWAYS get some type of recognition for saving somebody.
  • Ow - Dreamweaver
    Ow - Dreamweaver Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Wow. Lots of feed back and good info. Thanks a lot guys.

and no... I have other characters... a level 63 cleric. But the cleric's job is pretty obvious. lol.

And in reading this, I have A LOT of skills to buy.

I'm 3/2, primarily fist user. I buys kills for fist first, then axe, which doesn't help much. But I'm pretty updated on both.
  • Minimus - Sanctuary
    Minimus - Sanctuary Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Question is a bit too general. What kind of squads? In pk, in fbs, rebirth, TW etc.? Bm can support the rest of the squad by stunnning, HF etc. But bms are also tanks, DDs. have multiple AoE skills etc.
    Generally I try to stand between enemy players, mobs, bosses etc. and squishier classes in squad since a bm can take a lot of dmg. Marrows & genie skills help a lot. Imo a bm should always see what the rest of the squad is doing and can excellently support them.
  • GrimReaperHC - Dreamweaver
    GrimReaperHC - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,695 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    I`m lvl 45 and I`m tanking O.o
  • Fistz - Dreamweaver
    Fistz - Dreamweaver Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    At higher level you HF on bosses so you kill faster and in FC your AOE stun saves the wizzzzzeees
    edited July 2010
    Just an add for the thread :

It's fun that I have more HP than a BM on lvl 70 and a tank on lvl 55. So what do you think suits me best ? b:laugh My problem is that I have only 40 dex and I`m missing most of my hits.
    edited August 2010
    Hey again,

sorry for digging up the old thread, but yesterday while we were on fb39 a nice tactic came up in my mind and I can say that it's working pretty well. So here it is :

We were 6 people - 1 barb, 1 BM (me), 2 clerics, 2 venos. The barb is moving first, I`m moving second and the rest I`m behind me. Why so ? Because if somebody of the clerics or venos aggro then I`m the only thing between them and the mobs. When mob heads to the crowd I`m using stuns and I`m taking it down. It's working well because "Roar of the pride" is stunning multiply targets. It's only kinda hard if the stun doesn't work out then you are running behind the mob and praying to God that your Aeolian Blade will stun it LOL. The only thing that the rest is good to do is to stay tight, because it's hard to keep the aggro away from them if they are separated on like 10 feets from each other.

What do you think ?
  • Lee_Hyori - Dreamweaver
    Lee_Hyori - Dreamweaver Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    The ultimate aspirations of any BM should be to humour the squad by Rambo-ing aggro in FCs. :)

That sums it up pretty much...
    retired from pwi b:cry
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    That sums it up pretty much...

^ Lap Dance... Hai Lee babe b:dirty
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI
  • Lee_Hyori - Sanctuary
    Lee_Hyori - Sanctuary Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited August 2010