***** Happens

Options
megamage
megamage Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2010 in Cleric
So, I was planning on beginning my bh stacking process today, so I got my bh 39 squad together. As a level 55 cleric with maxed IH and plenty of good heals/buffs, I figured that I would suffice as the only healer. Now, everyone else in the party was 50+, excluding the psy tabber.

Once inside, we got through with only one death (the tabber-i believe he kept getting near the monsters as they died, so the explosion killed him.) Farren was the last boss and the only one that most of us need in order to begin stacking.

Now, this is where I began to worry. Last time I fought farren, I was able to take no damage while keeping the tank at full health. This time, I realized that I kept taking aoe damage while healing the tank. Of course, everyone else was taking damage too, so after spamming IH on the tank, I tried to use boon, but everyone was spread out too far. All in all, members started dropping one by one, including myself.

Now, no one blamed me, but I know I made some mistakes, but I'm just not sure when. I tried to heal every member, but they continued to force me into aoe range, especially the tank.

To sum up the story, I offered to release my corpse and rez everyone and help finish this vendetta. I knew there was another cleric coming to help, but he was level 39, so I thought it would be useful for me to come in and help. Little did I know, (no one told me) that the cleric was inside when I released. Once halfway to farren, the chatbox says "yay, thanks everyone" etc. Basically, they finished without me and left me feeling both guilty and infuriated. b:angry

I would really just like some advice on keeping multiple members alive in an aoe fight without sacrificing my own hp. I want to be a support cleric, but it would be hard to find squads if I ruin my own reputaion by failure. b:surrender
Post edited by megamage on

Comments

• Vassaga - Heavens Tear
    Vassaga - Heavens Tear Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Beforehand, you would want to explain your squad that your aoe heal has certain range, so that it would be a good idea if they know how your skills function. i also told sins not to come close to him, but to use a bow.. i healed at farren in a same way i would heal at rankar.. ih, ih, ih, chb, ih, ih, etc.
    if you were forced closer to farren then it was not your mistake at all.
  • LeLelle - Sanctuary
    LeLelle - Sanctuary Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    You probably know this already, but sometimes it helps to review with squad. It never ceases to amaze me how the melee like to spread out around Farren so everybody has plenty of elbow room.

Farren has an AOE range of 23. Your maxed IH has a range of 25. It is important that a straight line be maintained betwen Farren, the tank, and yourself.

I had to review this with someone once who was standing way off to the side. The reply was "I don't need healed, so don't bother". *shrugs*
  • _Montgomery_ - Archosaur
    _Montgomery_ - Archosaur Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Just wait until you have to fight General Feng. Let people know this boss is aoe and you might not be able to keep everyone healed. You have to keep yourself and the tank alive. sins can use bows and so can most bms. I know you want to have the whole party come through, and that is the ideal outcome, but you simply can't heal everyone when they spread in front of an aoe boss. Talk about strategy with the party and prioritize.
  • Rawthorne - Heavens Tear
    Rawthorne - Heavens Tear Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    A few good rules to live by as a cleric which you broke:

1. Keep yourself alive at all costs; NO MATTER WHAT! You WILL get ppl that will blame you for this, that, and the other when it comes to things like heal aggro, aoe f/ bosses, rushing into bosses b4 prestacking IH, etc. Ignore those idiots if they refuse to learn the mechanics of the game and the cleric class. Learn every self preservation skill you've got and make sure people protect you.

2. Focus on the tank at all times (if they are doing their job).

3. If you can't do 1/2 successfully then stop trying to protect dds. They HAVE to learn how the game works and work WITH you, not against you. This is accomplished by things like venos purging/passing chi, Barbs/Bms canceling skills, other classes maintaining everyone fully buffed at all times, dds watching aggro and not grabbing more then the squad can safely handle, ppl positioning themselves PROPERLY so you can protect them (as was the case when you party wiped; they were in bad position and you tried to cover them to the squads detriment). You can still be a great cleric if you DEMAND ppl learn to do their job properly; but you had best be able to back it up by doing yours properly.

4. Learn as much as you can what each class SHOULD be doingin each and every situation. Brambles help tanks keep aggro (ensure venos keep it on), buffs f/ other classes = survivability/damage, bms = crowd control/backup tank (normal circumstances before endgame gear), etc. Don't see ppl doing things properly; SPEAK UP!

5. The first time you enter a new instance doing things you are not 100% prepared for anything that might go wrong....tends to be when things go wrong and right or wrong you will get blamed for it. Always ask other clerics what is to be expected when going to new instances and try and go along in a 2+ cleric squad (w/ another competent cleric) and watch and learn what they do (DON'T HEAL/BE A DD UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY so you can learn properly what's to be expected).

I consider myself 1st and foremost a "support cleric" I guess but I'll be damned if I'm going to cover other people's mistakes each and everytime. DD's wanna get stupid repeatedly w/ me by nonstop aggroing things in tts/bhs we don't need etc. will find themselves charm tanking things or waiting for my sage rez. You can still be a good cleric w/out allowing ppl to walk all over you by expecting you to cover their mistakes 24/7. For ex. I used to do bh99 w/ a certain archer (always wearing a charm) who thought it was fun to kill each and every single mob we'd come accross (even though most can be bypassed; thus saving time). After about the 10th bh or so w/ me he FINALLY got it through his thick skull that maybe it wasn't worth burning 150-200k off his charm and wasting time killing needless mobs to "have fun killing mobs cuz I like to."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Duke_Atticus - Sanctuary
    Duke_Atticus - Sanctuary Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    megamage wrote: »
    Once halfway to farren, the chatbox says "yay, thanks everyone" etc. Basically, they finished without me and left me feeling both guilty and infuriated. b:angry

Wo.w, that kinda sucks. Understandable...
    megamage wrote: »
    I would really just like some advice on keeping multiple members alive in an aoe fight without sacrificing my own hp. I want to be a support cleric, but it would be hard to find squads if I ruin my own reputaion by failure. b:surrender

We all fail sometimes. On my cleric, I've been called a good cleric quite a bit, and I've wiped myself in the most amazing ways while I was half asleep.

Since you mention AOE fight specifically...here's some advice for that.

Don't ever get into AOE range, and get out as soon as you're in. Don't make squad heals a priority. If you have WS maxed, use it to keep light armored classes alive; if the boss decides to suddenly chain his AOE, you can't be sure IH is fast enough to pull them through. If anyone is standing too far from you, always type in squad chat to ask them to come closer; most will respond as soon as they see they're dying and they see your point. Barbs and BMs should be able to survive AOEs better, so IH would suffice. If the boss is Rankar, you can occasionally do a squad heal, but not without being sure that the tank has enough IH to live through.

^ Applies up to fb51, before you meet AOE bosses which you can't survive without BB.

Above all, don't waver when your squad mates tell you to do things you know don't work and you know better. It's always you who gets the bad end of the stick, even if they were the ones who taught you BS.

Edit I can't believe they censored w.ow....
  • KanariaRose - Archosaur
    KanariaRose - Archosaur Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Lol just let the stupids die and rez them, if they yell, leave. Your a cleric, you can find a party quicker than any of them (maybe not the barb..about the same). When people are being aggro hungry ho bags, let them die and allow the tank to pick up aggro. Same goes for if the tank is to stupid to ream everything. If he just runs into a group of mobs and roars...let him die, its better him than you healing and pulling all the nice reset aggro mobs.

Oh and in the situation with farren. Get one of my handy dandy fellow fishes to cast bubble of life, we can easily look after the dd's health if our bubble is up there.
  • anwynd
    anwynd Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Farren has an AOE range of 23. Your maxed IH has a range of 25. It is important that a straight line be maintained betwen Farren, the tank, and yourself.

dont forget tht magic weps add 3 more range on top of the spells rangeb:avoid*runs out of the cleric discussion forum*
    Collector of pet eggs, armor, weapons, fashion, and mountsb:chuckle
  • LifeAfterDth - Heavens Tear
    LifeAfterDth - Heavens Tear Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Rawthorne pretty much summed it up, self preservation above all.
  • MsEvilness - Heavens Tear
    MsEvilness - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    As i wrote somewhere else...

farran spams aoes like crazy if someone at non-melee range (i.e ranged DD) has agro. So, it was probably mainly 1 of the DD's fault.. .but having said that, partly your fault too.

And also wat raw said
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Originally posted by LShattered - HeavensTear
    Ohhh...I am dumb b:shutup
  • Vassaga - Heavens Tear
    Vassaga - Heavens Tear Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Just wait until you have to fight General Feng.

Feng is easy-peasy. Wait until you actually get to Krimson b:shockedb:shockedb:shocked
    Pole from FB69 is actually small baby compared to him..

@Rawthorne, you pretty much summed it up.
  • megamage
    megamage Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone. Self-preservation has been a bit of a weak spot, so I'll definitely learn to fix that.
    Just wait until you have to fight General Feng.

Done! I didn't realize that he had wyvern ability (which I had no idea what that was either) so tank died the first time, but then another group came along and helped. I understand the need for purify now too.

I saw krimson yesterday and I believe I had to change my pants last night...b:sad

Anyway, all I can do is learn from my mistakes and improve my abilities.b:bye
  • Umbra - Raging Tide
    Umbra - Raging Tide Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Haha yeah, your health comes before everyone else. If they're too stubborn to not sacrifice themselves to keep you (and the tank) alive, why should they be there?
    b:chuckle
    Skyrim, ok. b:dirty
  • Firrwynn - Heavens Tear
    Firrwynn - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Just a little note, I successfully redeemed myself yesterday in 2 fb 39s! I did not die, the tank didnt die, but the lvl 39 blademaster who insisted on fighting did. The tank aggroed many mobs at one point and soe we lost the two lvl 39s but the rest of us successfully lived and conquered! b:victory
  • vristion
    vristion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    To get max range, let tank run up way ahead of you. click your IH, it will autopath you to the max range.

Group heals, if you are going to use them, It is your responsibility to advise them that group heal will be a part of your method, and they need to stay close to you.

For that paticular fight, if Tank can handle it well enough, stack some IHs on him, then send an IH to the each of the others, By the time you get back to your tank spamming him somemore, another AoE effect would hit, but bonus is, your IH may still be in effect for the others, giving you buffer time to toss them another. Results would be you would be well out of AoE range, not needing to worry about healing yourself. And if your group make up includes other robe classes, and they take damage, you as a cleric need to advise them to get out of range.