Removing the lag from Archo

Moonwraith - Harshlands
Moonwraith - Harshlands Posts: 6 Arc User
edited July 2010 in Suggestion Box
I don't know if it's just me, but even with the optimisation button pressed, the lag I encounter when I enter and run around Archosaur is darned horrendous. Primarily, the problem is when I'm running from the outlying fields and first sight the Archo walls, my framerate goes from 28 FPS to 9 FPS. I press the optimisation button and then get 12 to 15 FPS, but the game still 'stutters'.

It's worse inside the Archo walls, and the fundamental problem is the amount of Cat Shops littering the place all over West Archosaur. You can't use the 'click to move' facility because, invariably, you click on another player or cat shop, and after several seconds of movement using WASD keys, the game freezes for a few seconds while the computer plays 'catch up' with the sync.

My suggestion to improve matters is to create a separate 'Trading Zone' or Instance Zone to allow people to set up Cat Shops, accessible via the Teleporter NPC's. This will clear up the clutter and significantly improve the frame rates (or lag if you prefer) caused by the computer going out of sync while the Cat Shops are drawn into the buffer and then displayed.

If anyone has played *removed*, the same problem occured in their cities, until a separate Trading Zone Instance was created, and now that game runs smoothly in cities.

On a PvP note ( not on my signature toon, but my higher level Veno ) on Harshlands Server. I was told that several PK'ers spend a while approaching Archosaur walls very slowly, until they hit that point where the game freezes for a few seconds to allow the client to sync as it draws the Archo walls and the abundance of other players around the Archo Walls, including buffering the Cat Shops in West Archo. These PK'ers then stake out that exact spot in a direct line from where level 30+ players would be approaching Archo from quest grounds to hand in quests. Then ( and it's a little guess work here ) they know the exact point that returning players get the lag effect, and boom ! , pk them while the client syncs. I've not witnessed it myself, just something that was being discussed in a chat channel.

So, I reiterate my suggestion to provide a separate Instanced Trading Zone for Cat Shops to eliminate the horrendous problems within the Archo area.

Constructive comments please, no trolling.
Post edited by Moonwraith - Harshlands on

Comments

• MistaBwanden - Sanctuary
    MistaBwanden - Sanctuary Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Cool story, bro.
  • Kephras - Heavens Tear
    Kephras - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,472 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Oh FFS, is "Cool story, bro" the new TL;DR? I've already put a bullet in Astley's Rick-Roll, do I need to headshot CSB's for Asylum 3. Contribute something or stuff it.. Thanks.
    /rant.

Moonwraith - a good suggestion, but a quick search of the Suggestions forum would turn up a plethora of ideas similar or even identical to this. That aside, mentioning other MMOs is kinda forbidden around here (can't imagine why, not like they're a big secret or anything), so expect to have that edited a bit if a mod reads through it all.

After moving it to Suggestions of course, where it can be quickly forgotten about just like the other 10% of good ideas and 90% of incredibly asinine ones.
  • XXMonaXx - Heavens Tear
    XXMonaXx - Heavens Tear Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited July 2010

On a PvP note ( not on my signature toon, but my higher level Veno ) on Harshlands Server. I was told that several PK'ers spend a while approaching Archosaur walls very slowly, until they hit that point where the game freezes for a few seconds to allow the client to sync as it draws the Archo walls and the abundance of other players around the Archo Walls, including buffering the Cat Shops in West Archo. These PK'ers then stake out that exact spot in a direct line from where level 30+ players would be approaching Archo from quest grounds to hand in quests. Then ( and it's a little guess work here ) they know the exact point that returning players get the lag effect, and boom ! , pk them while the client syncs. I've not witnessed it myself, just something that was being discussed in a chat channel.

That's actually good. Hopefully they become wise to it and improvise.
  • Lylfo - Dreamweaver
    Lylfo - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    If you want it to lag less in Archo, stop buying stuff from all the cat shops in Archo.
    With enough people doing this, all the cat shoppers will realise that setting up their shop in Archo is useless and they would find a better place to cat shop.

b:laugh
    Thanks Chillum for the nice Sig.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MrHanky - Harshlands
    MrHanky - Harshlands Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Get a new computer and/or video card.
    I use full graphics and never stutter.
    I dont have an uber graphics card or computer either.
    Most likely its your video card try and invest 50-100 dollars and you will see a big difference.
    b:bye
  • Shulkie - Dreamweaver
    Shulkie - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    why lvl 30+ players are approaching archo on foot directly into the west gate (famous pk spot) is beyond me.. even on a pve server i usually fly to arch at varying heights depending where i am coming from.. the chance of someone staking out within 30meters horizontally or vertically is minimal
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    There is no place in a perfect world for double entendre!
  • azurluen
    azurluen Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    It's not lag. Lag is related to connection issues. The problem you have it's more like you are lacking RAM on your computer. Mine it's almost fine there with only 2.25 Gb of RAM. And I'm actually saving to get other two, so 4 Gb of RAM would solve almost all my 'slow' problems on games.

Also, I play on a laptop and don't have an uber Graphics Card either. =o_O=
    [insert sig here]
  • Esnemyl - Dreamweaver
    Esnemyl - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,079 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Oh FFS, is "Cool story, bro" the new TL;DR? I've already put a bullet in Astley's Rick-Roll, do I need to headshot CSB's for Asylum 3. Contribute something or stuff it.. Thanks.

might be an idea to headshot a troll for your next video.. b:avoid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<3 by Silvy
    Reborn ditzy archer with a serious oreo addiction =3

'...cuz my IQ is just above what is required to function as a human' - tsumaru2
  • Moonwraith - Harshlands
    Moonwraith - Harshlands Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    To the person who suggested that it may be my lack of RAM or other computer hardware.

Nope, that can't be it at all. My comp has 4GB of RAM, an Invidia 9XXX card with 256 MB on board RAM, and dual CPU's running 4GHz, amongst other things.

Also, ( and I know I can't name other MMO's as it's liable to get the post deleted, so fill in the following blanks yourself ), but I play World of ........ft , Vangu...d, EverQ...2 amongst others, and have absolutely no problems whatsoever laying on full graphics, no need to reduce graphics effects at all, and get roughly 28 to 30 FPS.

However, as I said in the original post (which was edited by a mod because I used the name of another MMO ), the same problem with player shops was evident in Rapp....z and this was overcome by the suggested use of Player Shop Instances accessible from the NPC Teleporters. If it worked in that game, and PWI is a very similar game, why not initiate the same means of reducing the problems.

Anyway, thought I'd clear up the issue of the computer hardware. Also, it's not the Broadband connection as I asked both the Broadband provider, and the telephone company to do a connection speed check, and I came out at 13.8 Gigs, from an advertised 15 Gigs connection. I'm only three quarters of a mile away from the ISP servers, and 13.8 gigs is extremely good, so my original point stands in that the lag/freezing etc problem is primarily associated with the player shops in West Archosaur, amongst other places.
  • Amencat - Sanctuary
    Amencat - Sanctuary Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    its long about time to implement that! b:thanks
    Some Rules each PWI Gamer should know
    1. Dont break this rules & no matter what: DONT TRUST ANYONE!
    2. Dont pay wine or heads fee (like to get kicked after that?) b:chuckle
    3. Dont borrow items (since when return gms scammed stuff?) b:embarrass
    4. Dont use your password in faction-forums (like hacks?) b:fatb
    5. Dont give your mats to the tt-banker (obvious, not?) b:beg
    6. Dont wait for help, or heals, or any other miracles,... (for more examples just play pwi and you will hate the whole humanity) b:bye
  • RainbowVidel - Sanctuary
    RainbowVidel - Sanctuary Posts: 1,316 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    So, I reiterate my suggestion to provide a separate Instanced Trading Zone for Cat Shops to eliminate the horrendous problems within the Archo area.

And I will reiterate my pointing out to you that this has already been suggested before, more than once. If the devs wanted to add this, it would have been implemented already.
  • JupiterzAgon - Raging Tide
    JupiterzAgon - Raging Tide Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Ya cleanup thing it's not going to happen ... sometimes I lag there pretty bad sometimes not. I just avoid the place like the plague, I get in and get out like all hell's breaking loose and there's no doubt others like me do the same. When I have plenty to spend and want to look for stuff I go find my items at other cities instead buuut ... dunno what mind conceives that rampaging that place w more shops will create customer's somehow. Small minds = small wallets b:chuckle
  • Selina_Heart - Lost City
    Selina_Heart - Lost City Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    And I will reiterate my pointing out to you that this has already been suggested before, more than once. If the devs wanted to add this, it would have been implemented already.
    The suggestion is to add a new INSTANCE not SERVER. Such as when you go into an FB.

I, also, have a major but erratic problem with lag in Arch. I have noticed now that I am on CABLE connection rather than DSL; the lag is a lot less than before. Same P.C. System, just different providers.
    I like the idea of a whole area (instance) set aside for the player merchants, however, many times the players have things that sell well near the NPC's that need them: such as the materials for making wine.
    What I WOULD like to see is a modification to the Player Merchant system which would PREVENT players from setting their merchant ON TOP of NPCs or so crowded around them that even with no 'live' players around you still need to hold the shift key down while you hunt for the npc.
    One way to resolve this is to make it so player merchants can only be placed in the long stones along the roads. (This would make traveling down the roads a lot easier as you would not be constantly clicking on some player merchant when you are trying to get around.) I would also make it so the 'footprint' for player merchants is 3 to 5 times the normal space a character takes *circle on the ground*. This would prevent stacking player merchants too close together.
    Just my 2 cents.
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    /rant.

Moonwraith - a good suggestion, but a quick search of the Suggestions forum would turn up a plethora of ideas similar or even identical to this. That aside, mentioning other MMOs is kinda forbidden around here (can't imagine why, not like they're a big secret or anything), so expect to have that edited a bit if a mod reads through it all.

After moving it to Suggestions of course, where it can be quickly forgotten about just like the other 10% of good ideas and 90% of incredibly asinine ones.

I wish genies were able to be sold in AH T_T. Hate cat shops, cute or not ... still hate them wish they were gone, I really hate the darn lag in arch ... I freeze
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Since when has the archosaur lagged?
    b:puzzled
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dontviolate
    dontviolate Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    I run through west arch with my graphics maxed on my laptop with no lag. Prosauce? b:pleased