CoA Etiquette

Comments

• Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    KSing isn't bannable until it is done to the point it's harassment - and I know that has been stated. When KSing turns from "Imma take your mob" into "Imma take all your mobs to the point it's impossible for you to finish your quest" then it obviously turns into an issue of harassment and at this point it is potentially bannable.

KSing is really very situational and while I have never done CoA and never intend to, that is one situation where KSing is not breaking any rules, nor will it count as anything close to harassment. CoA is a competition in a competition:
    1) Get enough drops to potentially making something out of it (AKA rings)
    2) Beat the other cities

It's not KSing when a better DD or squad of DDs comes to take your mobs and kill them faster. If it was, a lot of people would have been banned for PQ, where people stealing mobs is an every day kind of thing. (Especially if you're a Herc veno who can tank the mob meaning you tank it until it's nearly dead at which point they finally steal at which point you did all the tanking and they just sat there and slapped it. It's common as anything.)

It's a lot like world bosses, imo. You won't get banned for trying to steal a world boss... even if you do it over the whole map. Spec and Essence do this all the time to each other... with as many tickets as Spec sends in, some of us would have been banned long ago for this, but clearly world bosses and CoA are not compulsory quests, they're optional... and if someone is KSing mobs that you don't need for the completion of your cultivation, nothing will be done about it.

Following around someone and purposefully greifing them is a completely different story. It's far more than just KSing on purpose.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    It's a lot like world bosses, imo. You won't get banned for trying to steal a world boss... even if you do it over the whole map. Spec and Essence do this all the time to each other... with as many tickets as Spec sends in, some of us would have been banned long ago for this, but clearly world bosses and CoA are not compulsory quests, they're optional... and if someone is KSing mobs that you don't need for the completion of your cultivation, nothing will be done about it.

Following around someone and purposefully greifing them is a completely different story. It's far more than just KSing on purpose.

Agreed. I just put forward the situational rule and the fact that consta-KS is griefing and harassment because that could possibly be where the idea that "you hit a mob, it's yours" stems from. But I have never seen a GM state that hitting a mob makes it yours and if anything I have seen GMs support the idea of KSing in a competitive event because it's just that - competitive.

World boss hunting is equally as competitive and thus, KSing is equally as supported because this game doesn't run on the basis of "You hit it, it's yours" and frankly a lot of the fun would be taken out of the game if it was that way.

I mean, that would mean I could never desummon my Herc at PQ and watch somebody attempting to steal my mob die a miserable death, because they'd never try steal it in the first place.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fulgida
    fulgida Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    CoA is a multiple mob event. If you're not killing at least 3 at a time, you will lose.

This can only be true for certain builds and certain bosses and certain goals.

It is certainly not true for me, and no way can it be true for 5aps fist builds.
    edited July 2010
    I mean, that would mean I could never desummon my Herc at PQ and watch somebody attempting to steal my mob die a miserable death, because they'd never try steal it in the first place.

b:chuckle

/asdf;lkj
  • Arliana - Dreamweaver
    Arliana - Dreamweaver Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    If ksing was bannalbe, whenever theres a war over chihwen that has a 1 week spawn time, a lot of ppl would be banned. the highest amount of ppl ksing it at one time that i could remember was 30ppl from one faction pked 30 ppl from another as a third faction tried to gank the other 2. so what? ban 60 ppl for a 1 week respawn boss?
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited July 2010

If you are going to take mobs from others, don't QQ if they lure mobs onto you.

Bingo.

+1
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    I'd like to get an idea of what the general consensus is for CoA etiquette. I would also like to get an official stance from a GM.

So you pay 100k to go to CoA and try to make some coinage right? Once you are in and squads are made or unmade, is it ok to "steal" mobs from other players by out damaging them? Or could this be considered griefing? If it is ok to take mobs, then is it also ok to pull mobs to that squad to tick their charms, slow them down? Or is this greifing?

I am asking because the issue came up. It's a tough one. The instance is designed for the best DPS. But that then leaves out the lower damage players.

So have at it! Let me hear what you all think!
    It's a competition. Otherwise every city would win. Competitions can be nasty. That's the nature of the beast. (see the QQing about Nien event and world bosses)

The only change that should happen there is I think there should be a substantially less amount of Physical Immunity bosses to even the spread (most people gather around the Gaurnob/Polearm/Bronze bosses) because honestly virtually NO ONE bothers with them, so they sit there for 60 minutes and are only used to lure upon other groups. At very least less of these bosses would mean others wouldn't see a large group of 5.0 APS bms/archers/sins and simply go fight a mob that they can't kill and just leave the instance altogether. Just about every COA I see nubs leave cuz of that, and PWI should be promoting more people playing this event.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    eww enough people go to this thing. every CoA event perfectly capable people get ready, buff up, and don't get to enter because it's full. We need less noobs and morons in there anyway. The phys immune mobs don't even hit hard and have 0 defense (I think all bosses in there are either 0 defense or completely immune), probably could have a bunch of casters take them.

Maybe phys immune bosses just need to have less hp but still the same drop-rate so more casters are encouraged to enter this event.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Redmenace - Heavens Tear
    Redmenace - Heavens Tear Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    I don't think people intentionally pull bosses to get other people killed, because that doesn't work in their favor as then their whole damn city loses. What people do is "oops I pulled a phys immune WTF AM I SUPPOSED TO DO???? Maybe I should run like my head's cut off through everyone else!".

Unless you're on Heaven's Tear where some people, when they find that they can't claim ownership to a particular room make a point of dragging phys-immune mobs into the room to keep us from killing the bosses *they* feel they're entitled to.

You know, 'cause they're better than all you people.

Some people consider CoA their private mosz-pit.

RedMenace

\the truth is in there, if you know where to look
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    I wonder if a 5.0 barb or archer with poison fang/blazing arrow could kill physical immunity mobs lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Malilizi - Harshlands
    Malilizi - Harshlands Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Actually, in the rest of the game, being the first to attack does give you claim to a mob. If you're continually attacking stuff other people are already attacking, the GMs will ban you for harassing others. That's why the OP asked the question - do the same informal rules apply to CoA?

Wrong...from the official support questtion:

"Kill stealing" is not illegal in our game. Remember that monsters do not actually belong to any player, and that the player/squad that does the most damage will gain the majority of the EXP as well as the loot that the mob drops.

The only time that a GM will intervene is if one player begins following another player from zone to zone, attacking the same mobs/harassing them in general for an extended period of time. At this point it would be considered player harassment.
  • Aubree - Dreamweaver
    Aubree - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,868 Arc User
    edited July 2010

I don't exactly get what you're trying to imply. I read the highlighted text and your response...

CoA for most guilds work to get rings and they're usually given out based on attendance. Sure if you want to go and solo, it may be frowned upon, but I highly doubt that a faction will try to steal a factionmate's boss. I'd rather pull the debuffing bosses to enemy factions rather than KS my own. b:bye

Because some factions do take mobs from their own and claim it to be the spirit of the event. So a squad of just 2-6 of them make out pretty well, while their lower members who were in same instance get nothing. They won't even allow the odd faction member to have one worm to work on. Some would even claim that we have no responsibility to squad those members either, even if there was room in the squad. This is why I mention, not to point fingers, just get others thoughts on it.
  • Aubree - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2010
    I wonder if a 5.0 barb or archer with poison fang/blazing arrow could kill physical immunity mobs lol.

Yes mobs were once pulled onto us and DrAgOOnZ used death river toxin apothecary and the mob dropped in seconds.
  • Foxgrit - Lost City
    Foxgrit - Lost City Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Thank you for putting that into perspective for them. I just want to add one more thing into the mix, since the topic of "whose mob is it anyway?" came up.

It has already beed stated, by GM's I believe, that the first person at an oracle mob has rights to it first, a line must be formed after him. How would that factor in?

Actually you have that backwards. GMs stated that no one is forced to get in a line if they dont want to. As long as they themselves have the quest they are allowed to kill the mob. If they are killing it repeatedly when they dont have the quest just to annoy you then it can be considered griefing.

To put it in simple terms for you...

If they have a reason to kill the mob other than to just annoy you it has already been determined to be completely legal.

As for luring bosses to kill you, that has never been addressed inside an instance in a competitive setting.
  • Borsuc - Raging Tide
    Borsuc - Raging Tide Posts: 1,526 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Anyone finds it funny that it's only 5aps melee classes (BMs, sins, archers) that find this "ok"?

oh wait...
  • Aubree - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2010
    Anyone finds it funny that it's only 5aps melee classes (BMs, sins, archers) that find this "ok"?

oh wait...
    Do not turn this into a 5aps thread please. I just want GM answer and discussion. Thanks
  • Lylfo - Dreamweaver
    Lylfo - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Do not turn this into a 5aps thread please. I just want GM answer and discussion. Thanks
    so whats this 5 aps?
    Thanks Chillum for the nice Sig.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2010
    Because some factions do take mobs from their own and claim it to be the spirit of the event. So a squad of just 2-6 of them make out pretty well, while their lower members who were in same instance get nothing. They won't even allow the odd faction member to have one worm to work on. Some would even claim that we have no responsibility to squad those members either, even if there was room in the squad. This is why I mention, not to point fingers, just get others thoughts on it.

Well that faction obviously sucks. All of the larger factions should have rules in place for the event. I know all the established guilds on LC do. Except for maybe, Yakuza or ThaClick... but I wouldn't call them established. b:chuckle
    Actually you have that backwards. GMs stated that no one is forced to get in a line if they dont want to. As long as they themselves have the quest they are allowed to kill the mob. If they are killing it repeatedly when they dont have the quest just to annoy you then it can be considered griefing.

Yeah the only people that have a right to Oracle mobs are people with the quest... Also, pking people over and over on oracling isn't bannable and isn't considered griefing. You are allowed to camp the spot.
  • Aubree - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2010
    Well that faction obviously sucks. All of the larger factions should have rules in place for the event. I know all the established guilds on LC do. Except for maybe, Yakuza or ThaClick... but I wouldn't call them established. b:chuckle

Yeah the only people that have a right to Oracle mobs are people with the quest... Also, pking people over and over on oracling isn't bannable and isn't considered griefing. You are allowed to camp the spot.
    What are the rules for the event concerning faction mates?
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    its not bannable, its not illegal but the morale is wrong.
    but since its a 'game' where u dont meet the pple, it just doesnt seem as much offensive. Stealing isnt morally right. The words included in K'S' to specify that. or else itd be called KB-Kill Borrowing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Coraline - Lost City
    Coraline - Lost City Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Would you apply the same standards to members of your own faction? Say you were really unlucky and your room was full of your own faction. This is purely for discussion purpose. I just want to hash it all out.

Like I said before, we do it as guild event.So if we have a full party in lets say, the fire room and someone not in the party wants to solo COA for themselves, that's their business, they go and do a boss by themselves not in the room we are in. Yeah it wont make people in the guild look fondly on you but whatever, they wont get points towards a ring, which we as a guild farm together. If they aren't solong and the party is still full, they help dd outside of party and still get points for helping.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

eatswithspoons "*roll eyes* real money for virtual property? That's definitely not allowed"

Lol what?
  • fulgida
    edited July 2010

oh wait...

...personally, I only go into CoA with my 5 dex character.

I do envy the those that can melee the bosses like that, but they mostly leave me alone, and they never KS me.
  • Aubree - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2010
    Like I said before, we do it as guild event.So if we have a full party in lets say, the fire room and someone not in the party wants to solo COA for themselves, that's their business, they go and do a boss by themselves not in the room we are in. Yeah it wont make people in the guild look fondly on you but whatever, they wont get points towards a ring, which we as a guild farm together. If they aren't solong and the party is still full, they help dd outside of party and still get points for helping.

I compltely agree. Work and win together as a faction, if you are there for personal gain only, well ... I will leave it as that.
  • Tyramera - Dreamweaver
    Tyramera - Dreamweaver Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited July 2010

^^This

If a large faction is unable to organize itself or at least make a couple of easy rules for something like COA - and instead just defaults to a might makes right attitude within the faction for events - then it is pretty fail. Especially any faction that aspires to present a cooperative image to the rest of the server. That attitude of every person for him/herself, if promoted in the faction, will sneak into other areas - such as TW, which becomes personal pvp kill padding instead of following orders and doing one's job within a team.

A simple rule such as "don't KS faction mates in COA" would go a long way towards addressing morale within a faction. The resentment and loss of morale for lower lvl and lesser geared players caused be seeing faction mates dominate them through KSing, is not worth the most powerful members in the faction receiving even more loot then they would have if they had just let the other member have their one mob.

Between factions? I agree with most posts here. It's a competition, KS and lure all you want. Don't like it? Save your 100k.
    edited July 2010
    What are the rules for the event concerning faction mates?

Basically what has been said by Coraline. All guildies in the same room squad together, if you have a couple of squads, fire room, if not horse/yeti/worm. One person picks up orbs, at the end if there are enough rings are made. Attendance is taken, those who have requested rings get them after they've done a certain amount of runs, usually between 4-8 runs. The system works. People who want to solo are usually left with their own boss with no hassle or troubles given. Sure, some faction members might be upset, and with reason, but you're free to do the instance however you like.. solo or with faction.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Wrong...from the official support questtion:

"Kill stealing" is not illegal in our game. Remember that monsters do not actually belong to any player, and that the player/squad that does the most damage will gain the majority of the EXP as well as the loot that the mob drops.
    Interesting. Thanks for the correction. *takes game off recommend list*
    The solution space for the event has two goals which can be contradictory. For the instance, the best outcome is if everyone shares, doesn't interfere with other groups, and the mobs are distributed according to DPS (including AOE DPS). For the individual, the best outcome is if you can steal as many mobs as you can to maximize your AOE DPS, without doing it so much that you ruin the instance's chances to win.

Standard tragedy of the commons scenario. A regulatory body (a faction in this case) can organize things and enforce the better instance outcome to the detriment of individual freedom. The outcome on average for individuals will be better, but the outcome for a particular individual can be worse.

Leaving a few people out of squad without even one worm can be the cost of achieving this better outcome. It may smart to Western sensibilities of individuality and fairness, but it's pretty normal to Asian sensibilities of duty to a social group (usually family, but in this case, faction) to achieve an overall better outcome. I'm not surprised a Chinese game would implement such a thing.
    edited July 2010
    The solution space for the event has two goals which can be contradictory. For the instance, the best outcome is if everyone shares, doesn't interfere with other groups, and the mobs are distributed according to DPS (including AOE DPS). For the individual, the best outcome is if you can steal as many mobs as you can to maximize your AOE DPS, without doing it so much that you ruin the instance's chances to win.

All of the bosses have millions of hp. Any one charachter wouldn't be able to solo tank more than 3 or 4 without serious charm **** or death... They don't really hurt if you're 10x, but for pretty much anyone, if you're going to solo you take one boss at a time.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    All of the bosses have millions of hp. Any one charachter wouldn't be able to solo tank more than 3 or 4 without serious charm **** or death... They don't really hurt if you're 10x, but for pretty much anyone, if you're going to solo you take one boss at a time.
    I did 3 mobs at a time solo just fine when my veno was 90. It's not that hard if you know what you're doing (although probably impossible now that it's so crowded). Certain mobs in there don't do much damage and it's easy to tank 2 or 3 at once (3 is probably not optimal solo). I found that out when someone dragged an AOE mob onto me and got my herc killed. Even after I revived it, it couldn't take back aggro so I ended up tanking for the next 5 minutes. Regular hp pots were enough, no need to rely on a charm.

For a high-DPS character who can tank, since heals don't detract from your DPS, you're actually better off doing it solo instead of joining anything but a competent AOE squad. Solo means a slower kill rate, which means less downtime waiting for respawn. I don't encourage that anymore though now that it's gotten so crowded.
  • fulgida
    edited July 2010

I solo five of them, every time I am in there, and I can solo most of a sixth but I do not quite have enough time to do so. My charm usually does not tick (except when I get careless).
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Interesting. Thanks for the correction. *takes game off recommend list*

Its not the city that shares the best that wins, its the city that deals the most damage. The optimal strategy for an entire city would have everyone DDing as constantly as possible without anyone standing around waiting for mobs to respawn. To keep up a constant DD would require attacking at least 2 different mobs so erecting boundaries by reserving mobs for discrete groups including the lowest DD is pretty inefficient.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html