Wizard MP drain

Options
joelhax
joelhax Posts: 3 Arc User
edited July 2010 in Wizard
Hey i'm new to this game and I'm anout to make a wizard.

But I want to know of they are any good...?

In almost every mmo I've playd wizards/mages got srsly MP proplems, Is it like that here too?
Like you gotta sit down and go afk a little while after you killd some monsters?
Post edited by joelhax on

Comments

• Vorhs - Lost City
    Vorhs - Lost City Posts: 521 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    wizards are a very hard class to play compared to the other classes, they terribly suck till lv90, and they still are average untile you get high level gear @ lv100.

about mp recover, well at very low level it could be a problem but you can always buy potions ;) that isnt absolutely the problem of wizards, they got many other problems xD
    If you happy wanna be, against the wind you won't have to pee.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • joelhax
    joelhax Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Like what? Shuld I go for a psy instead?
  • Vortexer - Lost City
    Vortexer - Lost City Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    At level 9, which is nothing, you get a skill that increases your mp recovery for 15 min.
    I don't have any mp problems, but if you do you can get pots, they're not that expensive
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tsuyoginos - Heavens Tear
    Tsuyoginos - Heavens Tear Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I have little problems with mp. I use my water shield on for mp recovery while grinding (unless the mob attacks with earth/melee or fire, then I'll use those shields) . Also, you get an mp buff that increases your mp by 60% when it's maxed, so I go from 8k to 13k mp. In the beginning, you'll have mp problems, but as you level, those problems will diminish greatly.

From what I hear Psychics have a lot of mp problems because they're the Magic DPS Class. They cast fast which means more spells which means more MP consumption. Wizards are built for DPH so it takes them longer to cast but they hit more per spell (at least without having to sacrifice defense), allowing them to use less mp.
    [sigpic] [/sigpic]
  • Shadowvzs - Lost City
    Shadowvzs - Lost City Posts: 877 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    at lv100 pure mag build i dont really have mp potion in invetory XD simple dont need most of time for pve, only for tw i buy 30 lv80 pot because if i die i need fast mana.
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    HexOmega - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,342 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    wizards have the advantage of the greates mana pool

once you get to 59 your spark eruption recovers 10?20?% of your maximum mp
    wich is 60% more then a cleric has with the same build

+your kiting skills allow you to use a pure mag build -> means even greater pool and recovery

you have 3 shells,

earth increases physical defense
    fire increases hp recovery (useless)
    water increaes MP recovery <---

you can run a wizard a loong time w/o using a single pot, nor getting hit by anything
    then u can sit down and recover your 15-16k mana pool with 1 pot extremely fast and go on lol

while the melee classes need to use pots to spam skills xd (and they get hit)
    i like potato
  • Feiric - Harshlands
    Feiric - Harshlands Posts: 240 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    If you can manage rounding up 10 dollars in real life, you can buy mp charms for 80 cents each. MP charms automatically refill your magic and you'll never run out. Nice if you'd rather not have to think about it. You can buy them from other players, too.

Are they worth it? Depends on you. The only time you might really desire one is if you go in XP parties where you use Dragons Breath a lot (a continuous skill that keeps going until you shut it off).

The only thing the others didn't mention is you can get gear and buffs in this game eventually that increases your natural MP recovery rate.
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2010
    Options
    mp charms are not worth it D:

pots will always be cheaper
    i like potato
  • anwynd
    anwynd Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    mp charms are worth it if your lazy but they definately arent cheaper then mp foodb:chuckle
    Collector of pet eggs, armor, weapons, fashion, and mountsb:chuckle
  • Shadowvzs - Lost City
    edited July 2010
    Options
    ok with pure mag build i dont reall used too much pot during normal quest, only rule dont use sutra/bt/bids/ms, only sparkk burst.
  • Feiric - Harshlands
    edited July 2010
    Options
    mp charms are not worth it D:

pots will always be cheaper
    anwynd wrote: »
    mp charms are worth it if your lazy but they definately arent cheaper then mp foodb:chuckle

I stand by what I said. The worth of MP charms depends on the individual. Hex doesn't find worth in MP charms and anwynd I'm not so sure about. Does it matter? Nope.

Pots are probably cheaper in finances (haven't tested the theory and don't care, myself), but since nobody else mentioned the charms - well now you have more information to make a better choice for yourself.

Play the wizard class and know that you'll probably use a lot of MP. Handle it any way you want. That's the beauty of this game.
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2010
    Options
    b:chuckle

12k coin token price x 3 tokens / 50 pots u get
    = 720 coin/1pot
    1 pot mana = 5k

1mil coin -> gold mp charm - mana = 900k

you need 180 pots to gain 900k mana

180pots x 720coin = 129,6k coin

lol i fail at math, but i think they r cheaper D: even with high token price b:surrender
    more coin left for a HP charm xD
    i like potato
  • Feiric - Harshlands
    edited July 2010
    Options
    b:chuckle

12k coin token price x 3 tokens / 50 pots u get
    = 720 coin/1pot
    1 pot mana = 5k

1mil coin -> gold mp charm - mana = 900k

you need 180 pots to gain 900k mana

180pots x 720coin = 129,6k coin

lol i fail at math, but i think they r cheaper D: even with high token price b:surrender
    more coin left for a HP charm xD

I'm not saying you're wrong at all. I'm saying worth isn't defined by cost. That is good information though, even for someone who "fails" at math. b:victory
  • Shadowfire - Dreamweaver
    Shadowfire - Dreamweaver Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    At higher levels, some bosses also have mp drain, especially in 100+ instances. Cannonfist in Warsong has one, Vampiric Sovereign in Nirvana will make you want to ragequit if you have an mp charm on.
  • Vorhs - Lost City
    Vorhs - Lost City Posts: 521 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Btw when u'll have 14k mp, if you are sage, you can go on just using "divine pyro + sage pyro" combo + "50 chi skill" each time u can and triplespark each time you can.

You wont use a single point of mana and you wont need any potion, cause the 20% mp recharged by triplespark is MORE then the % of mana used to reach 3 sparks. b:victory
    If you happy wanna be, against the wind you won't have to pee.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pure_Black - Harshlands
    Pure_Black - Harshlands Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    People will kick you in the nuts of you do D.pyro -> pyro only.That is probably the worst DPS combo you have.

Once you sage/demon skills
    Gush -> pyro -> WoTp -> Stone rain ( repeat )

This will use up maybe 1 or 2 MP event pots in TT on the high HP bosses

Our DPS is bad as it is, and you are only making it worse just to be cheap. if i run on my BM and a wiz does that in one of the TT's, i'll kindly ask him to increase his DPS or else he better find another TT squad.
  • Feiric - Harshlands
    edited July 2010
    Options
    People will kick you in the nuts of you do D.pyro -> pyro only.That is probably the worst DPS combo you have.

Once you sage/demon skills
    Gush -> pyro -> WoTp -> Stone rain ( repeat )

This will use up maybe 1 or 2 MP event pots in TT on the high HP bosses

Our DPS is bad as it is, and you are only making it worse just to be cheap. if i run on my BM and a wiz does that in one of the TT's, i'll kindly ask him to increase his DPS or else he better find another TT squad.

Does anyone actually do that with the two pyro skills?

And ... (wants to make comment about kicking someone over DPS and taking the game too seriously) b:shutup
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    the only thing that a wizard won't suffer in this game, since genies were released, is the lack of MP.
    I'm sorry, but if u need to buy pots and stuff for your everyday play on a wizard, you're doing something wrong, really, really wrong.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • worldsanctuary
    worldsanctuary Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    the only thing that a wizard won't suffer in this game, since genies were released, is the lack of MP.
    I'm sorry, but if u need to buy pots and stuff for your everyday play on a wizard, you're doing something wrong, really, really wrong.

Noob question I guess, but away from game atm.

Genie skill, MP? b:puzzled Do tell. Is it worth it at the cost of one of the other attack skills wizzies use on genies?
  • Shadowvzs - Lost City
    edited July 2010
    Options

Genie skill, MP? b:puzzled Do tell. Is it worth it at the cost of one of the other attack skills wizzies use on genies?

maybe cause chi genie skill(cloud erruption) because chi=mana.
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options

well, IN MY PERSONAL view, wizards should not use attack skills on genie.
    That's just wrong.

Genies have chi-generating skills, maybe control skill (Occ Ice) and defensive skills. Wizards are powerful if they have chi (=tripple spark) and if they have healing/defensive skills. I think the dmg output from a wizard is pretty much enough to kill someone without a lame genie skill that does 1k dmg at best.

Having chi skill on genie for a wizards adds 3 main benefits:
    - being able to sutra for DPS
    - spark for DMG and MP regen
    - (sage) chain ultis (TW nightmare)

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]