Why play on a PVE server?

branbranxc
branbranxc Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2010 in General Discussion
Hi, well i've been playing on a pve server and now im level 52. I didnt realize that there was such thing as a pvp server until last week. What are the advantages of playing on a PVE server? Why play on a PVE server? Is just TW worth leveling up to 90+ ? Whats the point of leveling on a pve server?
Post edited by branbranxc on

Comments

• Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    if your wondering and pondering just go to a pvp server.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Go level a new character to 30 on a pvp server and you'll know why.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FinalFatex - Harshlands
    FinalFatex - Harshlands Posts: 2,427 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    One doesn't have to worry about me on a PVE server b:pleased
    ~~Blood Red since 30~~
  • Katzyn - Sanctuary
    Katzyn - Sanctuary Posts: 1,270 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    I don't like PvP, that's why. =P
    Katzyn, level 101 Demon Veno
    Kylenea, level 99 Demon Cleric
    ForestSonata, level 6x Mystic
    Proud wifeh of Yudai <3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Courtesy of the amazing Forsakenx~
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Because I said so, that's why.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Civic - Raging Tide
    Civic - Raging Tide Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    branBran don't go. What else will I have for breakfast?b:shocked
  • Rillien - Heavens Tear
    Rillien - Heavens Tear Posts: 569 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Go PVP unless you 1] can't stand the thought of being killed and 2] feel super inclined to keep up with the "best" of the server in terms of gear, status, etc.

You will get killed, but the upside is far more entertainment when the good old questing/instance running/grinding get dull. Much more diversity in who you can kill, and you can always RPK if you want to have a bit of drama filled fun. Of course, if you feel like this will NEVER suit you, at any point in the game, then PvE is fine.

Also at this point in rerolling it's hard to spend as much time/money as many of the top players have. If you're 100% bent on being the best, chances are it'll cost you far more to reach the "top" than it did for the old timers, not to mention the fact that you should be willing to spend a lot if you want it fast. In PvP this is not too much of a good thing, you get called a moron, don't develop all your skills fully, etc. So I don't advise it.

If you're doubting even when you are 5x, chances are rerolling is worth it. PvE is dull at the end unless you get very good TWs [which is just a form of PvP anywas] and never tire of instances. The only thing PvE is good for are VERY casual players that feel like sitting on a rock AFK and meditating is their preferred method of questing. Or that don't want to bother interacting too much. Or who just want peace and quiet 100% of the time.
  • Amorzka - Harshlands
    Amorzka - Harshlands Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    On a PvE server PvP is optional so if you want to know the joys of PvP just activate PvP mode and see how it is.

Why a PvE server though? To play the game and not be pk'd by people 10 or 20 levels above you at quest locations is one answer.
  • Das_Racher - Archosaur
    Das_Racher - Archosaur Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    why play pve?
    because I don't like the thought of walking along minding my own business doing quest and then some random guy jumps out and kills me shouting, "OMG I TOTALLY PWNED YOU N00B I'M SO L33T YOU SUCK" and goes on and on bragging. (I despise braggarts.) and then i decide to get in on the PvP action myself later, I somehow manage to kill someone and what am I rewarded with? Some loser QQing in World Chat about me because of ->insert bad excuse here<-
    I also don't like the idea of losing hard-earned gear, or cash, or really anything for that matter.

besides, if i wanna PK i just press the PK button and vua-lah, I'm basically in a PvP server. except for the fact that there aren't as many people to kill.
    If I tear you open wide,and take a look inside;
    Are you pretty?
    Can I get inside your mind,see what I can find;
    Are you pretty?
    So just take off that disguise,everyone knows that you're only
    Pretty on the Outside.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Honestly, I randomly chose a server when I first started. I had no idea what PvP or PvE meant, this game is my first MMO.

So I randomly chose HT, and I've enjoyed it. I didn't really know much about PKing until like....lvl 80 or so. The only thing I hate about PKing on PvE servers is that, not alot of people do it. Only cashshoppers enter PK mode. <___<

I would switch to PvP servers, but....I dont feel like losing all that time and effort I did on this server I guess.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    branbranxc wrote: »
    What are the advantages of playing on a PVE server? Why play on a PVE server? Is just TW worth leveling up to 90+ ? Whats the point of leveling on a pve server?

Good friggin' questions.

I dunno why you'd limit yourself to not having a PVP system. PVP = an extra feature
    I <3 AGOREY
  • Alliptica - Raging Tide
    Alliptica - Raging Tide Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    i played on a pve server so i could quest or grindin peace without having to worry about being 1 shot b:cute
    -retired-

now playing megaten and...Forsaken World ;)
  • MistaBwanden - Sanctuary
    MistaBwanden - Sanctuary Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    One doesn't have to worry about me on a PVE server b:pleased

I wouldn't worry about you even on a PvP server.
  • Coraline - Lost City
    Coraline - Lost City Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    I don't play on a PVE server but here's my thoughts. The reasons why I see people choosing a PVE server might have been more valid when the game first launched. At least on Lost City pking has decreased a lot. People dont camp SP anymore and wait for lvl 30's to kill and your questing is pk free because everyone is in Frost now. If there is pking, usually at West Gate...its sad how even there aren't pk battles at point 29 since a lot don't do WQ anymore.

Anyway...now, being on a PVP server isnt that much different than a PVE server. I just like being able to kill anyone if i wanted to and not having to see "oh, they are blue named, I guess I can't"

As for losing items...they now have SL, so people rarely drop and if they do, its mirages. You can use SL, or dolls or just afk in adc in catshop mode. It's not a big deal. If you do need to do quests or something, squad with friends and have them watch if there's a pker nearby, or grind on the edge of safezone, and if you see someone, just hop in safe and you're safe. Its not a big issue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

eatswithspoons "*roll eyes* real money for virtual property? That's definitely not allowed"

Lol what?
  • Islamey - Dreamweaver
    Islamey - Dreamweaver Posts: 586 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    I wouldn't worry about you even on a PvP server.
    No snide comments like that on PVE servers.
    I like the PvE community more tbh.
    The chillum is sometimes referred to as a chalice, based on a quote from the Biblical book of Deuteronomy. Thanks and praises are offered to Jah before smoking the chillum.
  • Tsunamin - Heavens Tear
    Tsunamin - Heavens Tear Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    I played on both before and for the most part alot of MMO's i played the whole PK concept was popular at the start then it got abused making most people prefer to choose when they go PK mode. Even a lot of the games I have played people got pk'd with in log in and logged back out only to never log in again.

You can even look at the population in this games PvE/PvP server (including other games too) most people roll in to a place where they can play at their digression not someone else.
  • EbilBecca - Heavens Tear
    EbilBecca - Heavens Tear Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Because a lot of the ones who PvP now are cash shoppers and I don't feel like losing a piece of equipment that took a lot of effort to get. b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]~sig by Satalia

The search function is a very useful tool, if you don't know how to use it then you're an idiot.b:chuckleb:cute

GAME UNINSTALLED b:victoryb:bye
  • Vixter - Harshlands
    Vixter - Harshlands Posts: 1,275 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    to be honest i dont get pked all that often on a harshlands ... even when i was in my 30s and 40s, i was able to grind for long periods w/o getting 1 shotted. sure every now and then some random dude kills me .. but when i go back to town, regain my hp, yada yada that dude is out of the area and i can go about my business again, it doesnt really bother me. i dont say anything when i die, they usually dont say anything to me either.

not everyone is all like "i pwnd u noob!!" when u get killed, in fact, i have yet to come across that when ive randomly gotten pked. just keep ur valuables in the bank and if u have a red name either use ur safety lock or get one of those charm amulet things which arent that expensive.

and if you think the pvp server is all around red names and pking each other, think again. u would be surprised to see how many white named people are in the server.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vixter (101 Heavy Veno) ~ TT farmer
    Peachie (102 Mystic) ~ Main character
  • Tammed - Sanctuary
    Tammed - Sanctuary Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    lol, I like pvp but, not in this game. Costs to much money, ga's are up to 120k+ each now, SL is like a timer if u forget and ur red ur gonna lose something u worked hard for. And being ambushed when ur minding your own business sucks. If PWI let us switch servers on all our characters i'm sure more would pvp. But not me, i'm liking pve in my safe little sanctuary world.

PVP=PK anytime, anyone
    PVE=a perfect world to me
    b:dirty
  • Whitephantom - Harshlands
    Whitephantom - Harshlands Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    here's what i used to hear...

me: "why kill me?"
    some random player: "don't like pk? go roll on a pve server"

and that's what i did. i just like to quest in peace. the mobs are tough enough without having some random player coming along and attacking me too.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    I play a pve server because everyone trying and failing to gank me all day would be boring.

Learned that in closed beta. RageQuit member tried to kill me in SP, he wound up dead. He tried again, lost again. He came back with a friend, took them both down. Finally they gave up. *yawns*
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • frozenstar
    frozenstar Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Because a lot of the ones who PvP now are cash shoppers and I don't feel like losing a piece of equipment that took a lot of effort to get. b:bye
    here's what i used to hear...

me: "why kill me?"
    some random player: "don't like pk? go roll on a pve server"

Exactly that and that. I'm not into spending $500 to $1000 in cashshop for just a game to get the top gear so that I can keep up with/protect myself from pkers. b:bye
  • Martiin - Archosaur
    Martiin - Archosaur Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    One reason...at the time HL got crazy boring. I quit....I had freetime.

New PVE server...good friends from HL going there. I decided to join.

My conclusion...blue names suck!! Only way to go red is kill lowbies, hence
    I have yet to get blood red since I prefer killing people near my lvl.

As for why you should play? you wont be randomly killed which is really
    the only reason people play here i think.

*edit*
    The person above me..go complain about spending money somewhere else.
    There are plenty of people that have not spent a penny on here and can keep
    up. Go farm tt and take the time to farm the coin that csers get from selling gold.

Complain and Complain...thats all people like you do...how about doing something
    about it?

"all bark and no bite"
    (anonymous) "If pwi brings out rank sale again, I will def increase my spending limit." Marketing, learn it, master it, and after that stop complaining about it.
  • GHealz - Archosaur
    GHealz - Archosaur Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    One reason...at the time HL got crazy boring. I quit....I had freetime.

New PVE server...good friends from HL going there. I decided to join.

My conclusion...blue names suck!! Only way to go red is kill lowbies, hence
    I have yet to get blood red since I prefer killing people near my lvl.

As for why you should play? you wont be randomly killed which is really
    the only reason people play here i think.

*edit*
    The person above me..go complain about spending money somewhere else.
    There are plenty of people that have not spent a penny on here and can keep
    up. Go farm tt and take the time to farm the coin that csers get from selling gold.

Complain and Complain...thats all people like you do...how about doing something
    about it?

"all bark and no bite"

martin all my days of pk...i have never seen u bro

also PVE and PVP its just one has a choice, if u want to Pk go white named, PVP u have no choice also, i played a PVP server u don't need cash to keep up, as i say coins can buy u skills, but money cant buy u skill
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tempest FTWb:bye
  • Reshanta - Sanctuary
    Reshanta - Sanctuary Posts: 350 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Because I like to relax and not worry my **** off.
    Lonely man with a big heart.
  • Anzillu - Raging Tide
    Anzillu - Raging Tide Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    PVP=PK anytime, anyone
    PVE=a perfect world to me

lol, good description. i have a mentally disabled (for you politically correct people) person in my faction on the PvE server i play on, which i only joined because my friend did. PvE gives people like that a chance to have fun, and not be bullied by punks with mommy and daddy's credit card to **** away money.

also, coming from a PvP server, you don't see pissing contests in world chat. no "come one on one me noob, or can you only gang bang" then replied with "i kill you many times on one on one, come out of safe zone" then lots of more useless childish drama.

the only thing that sucks about PvE servers, is when people steal your mats (not getting there before you, waiting for the mob next to it to attack you, or you attack them, then steal it), or people messing with your team killing a boss. and then you can't pk them to get back at them.

people call PvE carebear servers, because they think that everyone that plays on them whine about being pk'd. which isn't true. i've seen whining. unless you've seen someone tell the GM's to ban someone because they have been pk'd (there was no "no pking in this spot" rules), then you haven't seen someone whine
    Dark for fear of failure
    An inner gloom as wide as an eye of fermenting
    Roiling hate
    Death grip in my veins
    Unveiling rancid petals
    Flowering fourth foul nectar
    Space between a blink and a tear
    Death blooms
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Because I like to relax and not worry my **** off.
    PVP seems exciting in its own way and its tempting but as said above, some personal reasons include relaxing so... having to keep safety lock on, and keeping all valuables in the bank and binding ****, really really makes it a extra extra hassle and when i compare

hassle>PVP temptation

made my choice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Borsuc - Raging Tide
    Borsuc - Raging Tide Posts: 1,526 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    When playing other online games, like a FPS, do you let any aimbotter join and headshot you all the time instantly?

If yes, PvP is fine. If not, choose PvE.

*unless you are the aimbotter (err... I mean cashshopper)
  • Angarika - Harshlands
    Angarika - Harshlands Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    um killin people is a lot funner then killin mobs that's why I rolled a pvp server.
  • Coraline - Lost City
    Coraline - Lost City Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    PVP seems exciting in its own way and its tempting but as said above, some personal reasons include relaxing so... having to keep safety lock on, and keeping all valuables in the bank and binding ****, really really makes it a extra extra hassle and when i compare

hassle>PVP temptation

made my choice

Its not a hassle, just have to be smart about it. If you want to be blood red either bind, use dolls which you need to find a way to make money for or us SL. If you use SL you need to be aware that you might drop mirages and if you bind, unless you have all of the gear you need, you might need to refarm if your interested in getting the higher level gear. If you pvp at lvl 100 and have all of your HH99 gear, you have the bonus of having your gear auto bound...except for cape and helm unless you get the gold helms.

And pking doesn't mean killing all the white names. You can attack flagged names or red names. That way you dont go red and wont have the risk of dropping items. The only color you become is the pink/light purple color and you have a very slim chance of dropping inventory items and it goes away before you go rebuff.

Like I said before, pking has really decreased. You can be afk out of safe for an hour and not die. Even in Kami, where we have Spec and ThaClick killing us, people can stay outside safe and not be killed for an extended period of time. With BH's and Hypers in Frost, grinding/quest spots are empty so you can play without being hassled. And if you do get pked while grinding, its really rare. Dying isnt a big deal..you dont lose exp..maybe at the most it will be buffs.

Anyway PVP servers have changed alot, it's not how it used to be with RQ. If you want to pk(getting red), be smart about it. Don't get x amount of hours red and then go out of safe without dolls, of course you will drop things unless you're lucky and get the 1% chance of not dropping anything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

eatswithspoons "*roll eyes* real money for virtual property? That's definitely not allowed"

Lol what?