Faction officer powers

Options
Darkir - Dreamweaver
Darkir - Dreamweaver Posts: 22 Arc User
edited July 2010 in Suggestion Box
ok well I'm the leader of a faction and I got to thinking, when somebody in the faction gets upset or whatever and starts spewing a bunch of **** in faction chat what can the leader or director actually do about it? All we really have as an option is warning them and kicking them if they continue on. And with the other officers (executors and marshals) they can't even do that. All they really have to go on is "wait until the leader or director gets on" and in that case it could be 5 minutes or it could be hours before they can do anything about it. What I'm suggesting is maybe some sort of mute feature or along those lines. something with a cool down and a varying time limit for the officers. my idea was this:

Executors - 1 hour mute
- 12 hour cool down for mute of said player
- good for 2 or 3 players before a 24 hour cool down

Marshals - 6 hour, 3 hour, 1 hour mute
- 12 hour cool down for mute of said player
- good for 2-3 players before a 12 hour cool down
- able to bypass 12 hour mute cool down of a player muted by an executor

Leader&Director - 24 hour, 12 hour, 6 hour, 3 hour, 1 hour mute
- no cool down for mute of said player
- no restriction in number of users being muted
- able to bypass 12 hour mute cool down of a player muted by an executor or marshal

well there are my thoughts, obviously it's not perfect and some people may not agree with me but it's what I think would work.

Bare in mind I only mean a mute in faction chat not to mute a player entirely, that right belongs to the GMs and only the GMs b:victory
Post edited by Darkir - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• /Gohan - Dreamweaver6
    /Gohan - Dreamweaver6 Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I like the idea, however I'd like to add that an officer should be able to undo another officer's mute, but unable to undo a mute on himself. In my experience even officers spout **** from time to time, and might even abuse the mute feature. Normally a leader does not spout ****, nor the director, but executors and marshals should be able to undo each others mutes.
  • Darkir - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I like the idea, however I'd like to add that an officer should be able to undo another officer's mute, but unable to undo a mute on himself. In my experience even officers spout **** from time to time, and might even abuse the mute feature. Normally a leader does not spout ****, nor the director, but executors and marshals should be able to undo each others mutes.

that's a good addition but bare in mind Marshals are able to promote/demote executors so it would be a moot point in the sense of an executor spouting **** because even a marshal can just demote them then mute. But with this addition I'd think that an executor couldn't un-mute a marshal or the leader/directors mute and for an executor to start lipping off in faction chat the first thing they'll loose is their rank anyway. I like your idea though

edit: and to avoid abuse of the mute feature that is why I suggested such harsh cooldown for the mute features
  • /Gohan - Dreamweaver9
    /Gohan - Dreamweaver9 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    The cooldown won't stop a marshal from coming home drunk and needlessly muting someone he may not get along with very well.
  • Hazumu - Dreamweaver
    Hazumu - Dreamweaver Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    What kind of faction allows such officers?

Anyhow, I'm against this idea simply because I believe in freedome of speech, but also because it wouldn't work and here's why.

Let's say someone ticks off and starts spewing out carbage. An officer reacts and mutes the person.

Now, anyone that starts spewing out carbage to begin with is already in a VERY motional state where they're not exactly holding ANYTHING back. How is such person going to react to being muted? The likely hood is that they'll leave. I know I would, if someone muted me. It's disrespectful and respect is something I keep very close to myself.
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Muting will cause the person to leave the faction.....in most cases I'd imagine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • /Gohan - Dreamweaver10
    /Gohan - Dreamweaver10 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options

Anyhow, I'm against this idea simply because I believe in freedome of speech, but also because it wouldn't work and here's why.

Let's say someone ticks off and starts spewing out carbage. An officer reacts and mutes the person.

Now, anyone that starts spewing out carbage to begin with is already in a VERY motional state where they're not exactly holding ANYTHING back. How is such person going to react to being muted? The likely hood is that they'll leave. I know I would, if someone muted me. It's disrespectful and respect is something I keep very close to myself.
    It's not exactly respectful to go spewing out garbage at the whole faction just because you're upset either. If they are the irrational type of person that will act like that and leave when someone with authority tries to control the situation, you don't want them in your faction anyways so problem solved.
  • KageYingZi - Heavens Tear
    KageYingZi - Heavens Tear Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Actually,this is a rather good suggestion.Sometimes,I got some faction members that start flaming others and there's no marshal/director/leader to kick.If they leave because they were muted,we're better off w/o them really
  • Vixre - Harshlands
    Vixre - Harshlands Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I think 1 hour is too long for a mute period. 3~10 minutes would suffice. Also I don't think executors should get that power.

Executors more or less exist to make it easy for new members to join a faction; in a big faction, chances are, at least one executor will be on at any given point (within a reasonable time window), only Marshal and up are the real "officers".

All that being said, it'd be too easy to have executors abuse their power, since there's quite a few of them.

On the other hand, a faction may only have 4 Marshals, and I think only they should be given the power. Considering that a Leader/Director can boot a person out of the faction, I think mute wouldn't really do anything. If a direct warning from the Leader/Director does not silence someone, banhammer them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Anzillu - Raging Tide
    Anzillu - Raging Tide Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    The cooldown won't stop a marshal from coming home drunk and needlessly muting someone he may not get along with very well.

i've seen this on private servers. an immature person who is running the server mutes, or bans someone just because of a stupid thing. i got banned for 2 days on that server just by saying that something he added was stupid and needless. or when i suggested that he keep us updated on work he's doing for the server. i got no doubt in my mind that the same thing will happen in guilds on here. i vote no on this. if someones causing trouble, just kick them. if they wanna join back, tell em to watch their behavior. and executors and marshals shouldn't even project a bad attitude in the first place. ranking officers are their to set examples. if anything should be added, should be marshals can select a note or whatever next to a persons name, and when the leader or director logs on, and see's this, they know that said person has been out of line, and they can decide how to proceed with it
    Dark for fear of failure
    An inner gloom as wide as an eye of fermenting
    Roiling hate
    Death grip in my veins
    Unveiling rancid petals
    Flowering fourth foul nectar
    Space between a blink and a tear
    Death blooms
  • Hazumu - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2010
    Options
    +1 for Anzillu.

Spewing carbage is actually a term that is more like an opinion than anything else. If for example an officer sais something and a commissioner disagrees, what stops the officer from muting the said commissioner? It's a situation where a persons sense of justice and duty are measured and I can see many people doing it wrong here.

This kind of system is bound to bring more needless drama to the game. Something like a notice that a leader / director can look at later would be MUCH more helpful. Of course the notice should be invisible to anyone else.

I don't see anykind of situation where a mute would be more benefitial than a booting and where it wouldn't be just flatout disrespectful.

For example, couple days ago we had 1 guy that felt he was mistreated by a faction officer and made a huge rant about it at our forums. Muting the said member would have been a flatout slap to the face at that point. That's not the way how an officer should handle these situations AT ALL.
  • LifeHunting - Heavens Tear
    LifeHunting - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I only agree to give the power of a small mute (time span of only 5-10 minutes) so that the person can cool their head and then rethink what they were going to say.
    I also wish to say that the power should only be given to a marshal, because Leader/Director can just kick the person if they act out too much. Executors, they're basically there to allow new members into the faction.

Also, a notification to the Leader/Director system would work out lovely. This being because the moment they log in, the people don't have to explain what happened, the director/leader would have a noticification of what happened and easily know what to do.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I agree with a mute. Sometimes people stupidly take arguments into FC when it is better for them to do it with PMs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Darkir - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2010
    Options

OK so Zumi what you've just implied is that if this person who is upset and starts spewing garbage all the people on the receiving end deserve it. In my opinion open speech is not a freedom or right, but a responsibility and privilege. There is a reason why some people are not or or shouldn't be public speakers. And if the person should leave so be it, in all honesty I know I would be entertaining the thought of just kicking them out right. Now finally in your statement you've also implied that this person who is spewing garbage deserves some form of respect from people they are out right insulting, and to this my response remains the same respect is earned not given, it is also loose able. Being muted under the circumstance shows the person just how much respect they deserve, no matter how you look at it and no matter who's opinion it is but then again Zumi you don't have a grasp on the situation why don't you go and get trash talked as the leader of a faction one day then come back to me and tell me that you wouldn't mute the person.
  • WillowGirl - Dreamweaver
    WillowGirl - Dreamweaver Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I think muting someone for 10 minutes would be a rather effective tool. It gives them that one more chance to pull themselves together and stop ranting in faction chat, it gives the rest of the faction a little break, and it gives a leader or director a moment to calm down a little rather than just booting someone who has diarrhea of the mouth (er... fingers...).

I think it would be much more respectful to mute a faction member than to boot them or have to go later and tattle to the leader or director about them. Muting is an instant, on-the-spot fix for a bad situation, not a lack of respect. A lack of respect would be to boot the emotional guildie as I had to do once in Imajica - most of you old-school Imajican's probably remember what I'm talking about.

The only course of action currently available to put an end to an ugly situation is to boot the offender from the faction if they are refusing to shut up. Sometimes people just start going nuts for whatever reason, we've all seen it happen. And generally those people are sorry afterwards. But the only way to stop them in that moment is to boot them.

Everyone has bad days and sometimes our tempers get the best of us. I'm a champion for snapping and saying the wrong things sometimes and I always regret it.

I'd much rather have my mommy or daddy send me to my room than kick me out of the house when my emotions get the best of me.
  • Hazumu - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2010
    Options
    @Darkir

Nice job not being able to read my post.
    This kind of system is bound to bring more needless drama to the game. Something like a notice that a leader / director can look at later would be MUCH more helpful. Of course the notice should be invisible to anyone else.

I don't see anykind of situation where a mute would be more benefitial than a booting and where it wouldn't be just flatout disrespectful.

For example, couple days ago we had 1 guy that felt he was mistreated by a faction officer and made a huge rant about it at our forums. Muting the said member would have been a flatout slap to the face at that point. That's not the way how an officer should handle these situations AT ALL.

In the case you presented Dark, a boot button is more effective than a mute. You also say that respect is earned, not given? I'm sorry, but that's not how it works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Face_%28sociological_concept%29
    "Face is the respectability and/or deference which a person can claim for himself from others"

"It is not a face that can be washed or shaved, but a face that can be "granted" and "lost" and "fought for" and "presented as a gift.""

And those are the words of people more intelligent than you, or I.

I don't need to be a faction leader to have experienced the granting, or the loss of 'face'. I've been shout at enough times to know what it's like. But if that's not good enough for you, I'm ALWAYS one of the first to break up a fight and finding out the story from both sides and then explaining the situation to both in my faction and occationally out of faction as well, even Willow has had to stand for me nosing in. A mute button is a horrible idea.

As I said, I am yet to see a situation where a mute is more effective than pm's, or boot button.

Let's make another example. Would you mute me based on this post? Do you honestly expect me to stay in a faction that would mute me for this post? If you answer 'yes' to both, then there is no way we can ever convince either of us. However, if you answer "no" to either of them, then obviously not even you believe in your own idea. Afterall the next step up isn't too far from flaming anymore, which I believe counts as "speaking carbage".

As for Willows example, a PM would be A LOT more effective, than a booting, or a mute. If your child is throwing a tantrum, isn't it your responcibility to try and seek to make them feel better, rather than ignore them and lock them away like they were a bother, or the parents were ashamed of them. Then again, I've NEVER been grounded, or sent to my room as a kid, so I can't relate. Still I feel I'd rather have my mommy come take me in her arms and say it's alright than just ignore me. The biggest reason for childrens tantrums is that they want their parents attention.

I honestly cannot imagine a situation where I would be muted and still felt anyone in the faction in question had any concern for my feelings. I would feel utterly humiliated and disgraced.
  • Darkir - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2010
    Options
    @Darkir

Nice job not being able to read my post.

In the case you presented Dark, a boot button is more effective than a mute. You also say that respect is earned, not given? I'm sorry, but that's not how it works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Face_%28sociological_concept%29
    "Face is the respectability and/or deference which a person can claim for himself from others"

"It is not a face that can be washed or shaved, but a face that can be "granted" and "lost" and "fought for" and "presented as a gift.""

And those are the words of people more intelligent than you, or I.

I don't need to be a faction leader to have experienced the granting, or the loss of 'face'. I've been shout at enough times to know what it's like. But if that's not good enough for you, I'm ALWAYS one of the first to break up a fight and finding out the story from both sides and then explaining the situation to both in my faction and occationally out of faction as well, even Willow has had to stand for me nosing in. A mute button is a horrible idea.

As I said, I am yet to see a situation where a mute is more effective than pm's, or boot button.

Let's make another example. Would you mute me based on this post? Do you honestly expect me to stay in a faction that would mute me for this post? If you answer 'yes' to both, then there is no way we can ever convince either of us. However, if you answer "no" to either of them, then obviously not even you believe in your own idea. Afterall the next step up isn't too far from flaming anymore, which I believe counts as "speaking carbage".

As for Willows example, a PM would be A LOT more effective, than a booting, or a mute. If your child is throwing a tantrum, isn't it your responcibility to try and seek to make them feel better, rather than ignore them and lock them away like they were a bother, or the parents were ashamed of them. Then again, I've NEVER been grounded, or sent to my room as a kid, so I can't relate. Still I feel I'd rather have my mommy come take me in her arms and say it's alright than just ignore me. The biggest reason for childrens tantrums is that they want their parents attention.

I honestly cannot imagine a situation where I would be muted and still felt anyone in the faction in question had any concern for my feelings. I would feel utterly humiliated and disgraced.

I don't have to read your whole post to know you're just riding your moral high horse again, with that this argument is over you don't deserve my time or my respect.
  • Darkir - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2010
    Options
    (double post oops)
  • Darkir - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2010
    Options
    (double post oops)
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Kids, kids.

The instance where I would have used the mute before booting showed me that PM'ing doesn't always work. I was PM'ing this person, telling her to shut up in faction chat, knock it off, quit being rude and insulting, take it to PM's, etc. And she WOULD NOT stop. If I could have muted her, I would have, but I had no choice but to boot her. Muting her likely would have turned out much, much better than the booting did, because not only did we lose a guildie, I lost a friend.

If people know there is a chance they will be muted, they will be much more likely to keep controversy out of faction chat. If you are looking at wanting to be on this nice, understanding wavelength with people who are flipping out in faction chat, if you're not wanting to boot them because you know they are having a bad day or whatever, I think a mute would be a very humane way of saying to them "Hey, you are crossing a line here, you need to step away from the computer for a minute and calm down before this gets even uglier."

I don't believe Dark is saying he would randomly mute people who are saying things he doesn't like. I think the point of it is to keep peace in a faction chat if someone's tensions are through the roof. Most of us have likely seen the ill effects of someone blowing up on their faction. Once the mute is done, things can then be restricted to private conversations and issues can be more easily resolved when you don't have someone upsetting the entire faction.

A mute feature would require incredibly mature, responsible officers who are capable of making a decision like that without malice or personal reasons. Do I think some might abuse it? Yes, of course. But that would only open up a faction's leaders to officer changes for the better, if they were to become aware of an officer abusing his/her position.

And for the love of all that's good, Zumi, don't quote Wikis. Find the real definition of the word, please. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/respect

I believe in respecting people to a point based on the fact that they are a fellow human being. But not everyone is going to get the same level of respect from me - some have EARNED more than others, either in words or deeds. Someone largely unknown to me is deserving of nothing from me beyond the bare minimum that I choose to give. Someone snapping off on their faction, their family, is in no way earning or deserving of any respect from anyone.
  • Hazumu - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Willow, "respect" is not the same as "face". "Face" is a concept in China / Japan that resembles what we understand by respect, but it's not entirely the same. We actually had 2 professors on an international business / culture lecture (China & Japan actually) talking about "Face". My point to Darkir is that his conception of "respect" is not the only, or absolute one. There are more than 1 concepts describing the same thing, but yet they're different. This is called human culture. Yes, we don't live in an oriental culture, but humans themselves, their emotions and feelings do work the same.
    If you prefer a nonwiki article... http://www.transitionsabroad.com/listings/living/articles/keeping_face_in_china.shtml
    Wiki, or not, it is a real concept and albeit similar, it's not exact same as respect, that point remains unaltered.

I am fully aware that my post to Dark was harsh, it was made intentionally that way to provide an example. Dark chose to ignore me like I never said anything. Had I been talking in his faction chat, the chances are that he would have muted me and I would have felt that it would have been DEEPLY disrespectful and unjust towards me leading to me leaving Darks faction. That more than clarified that I do not agree with his principle of leading a faction. Saying that should be more than fair and I see nothing insultive, or provocative about that.

Correct me Mindy, if I'm wrong at any point. I believe that the person in your example joined the faction and was being a good member, never doing anything out of ordinary. Then something happened that made the person mad. People that are mad usually seek to vent out their frustration somehow. In this case they apparently started yelling in faction chat. You tried to calm the person, but they refused to stop. Let's assume that mute feature is enabled.

a) An officer mutes the person. Here we have a person who is pissed off because he feels he's been wronged and then notices that he's been muted. At such emotional state, do you expect them to calm down, or to try doing something else to express their new found frustration for being penalized? I have a strong feeling that that person is going to leave the faction even more pissed off.

b) An officer PM's the person, but is unsuccesful to do anything about it. The person keeps on causing trouble in chat. At this point I actually do honestly believe that a boot is better than a mute. And here is why.

Peoples personality do not change, or at least they change through a VERY long process. Let's take Reico for example. He was a brilliant guy with a brilliant mind and I still think that today. But he was constantly provocking and constantly on offensive. On a long run that does more harm than good and thus I honestly believe that his booting was the right solution. I still personally love him dearly, but my emotions and feelings do not change facts. I believe that what is important is not how often drama, or QQ happens in faction chat. I believe that it's more important HOW those situations are handled. Right now Bushido consists of.... those that have been from the start up. If we get drama, maybe someones feelings get bit hurt, maybe there's a tear... but very rarely does it result in a longwinded public drama show anymore. And if it does, it happens in the forums, which can be regulated way better than faction chat.

In the past couple of days we had a following incident. Member 1 had joined faction not too long time ago, she's bit shy and reserved, so doesn't talk much in chat, but is keen to get into vent. She tried asking about getting into vent when she finally got her head phones. However Member 2 was spamming faction chat because it had been dead for a while and thus Member 1 was left without answer. She tried asking Member 2 to stop, but Member 2 felt that Member 1 was trying to say "You're violating the chat" to which Member 2 reacted. Too bad Member 1 misunderstood the reaction as well and got the impression that "she's not worthy to have a voice in faction chat".

I had to spend hours listening to both of them and trying to make both of them see where they were wrong and where they were right. I knew both of them, but they didn't know each other, so without me pm'ing them, listening and explaining the others point and thoughts, they would have never made real peace because Member 1 had left the faction as a result. She did tell me that leaving did hurt her and that she is concidering coming back, hopefully even more now that they both see each others points and views.

To sum up: Muting a pissed off member will result in that person leaving on their own accord.
    Sending a PM and trying to resolve why they're angry has higher potential to make the person calm down. Rationalise.
    If despite pm's explanations and warnings the person does not stop. He's more than likely going to cause excess trouble and ought to be booted in my opinion.

I know it is a bit totalitarian and very idealistic, but... Those are my thoughts. However I'm not alone in this matter.

Sun Tzu sais in his book "Art of War".
    "If a commander issues an order and the subordinate does not obey, it is fault of the commanders due to his command being unclear, too ambiguous, or contradictory. If the commander clarifies his command and issues it again and the subordinate still doesn't obey, it is the fault of the subordinate."

P.S.
    This whole post in principle is a response to Willow and nobody else.
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Okay, Zumi, you make very interesting points and I cannot discount the validity of your argument based on the simple fact that this whole thread is based on little more than personal opinions and beliefs.

I have one more example I'd like to make. In PWI, many factions already have a mute option. Maybe we are unable to mute faction chat, but someone can be muted in vent. The example I'd like to make involves a former Bushido leader and member. Said member acted like a jerk a majority of the time, and when he did, that former leader never hesitated to send that member to the "grounded" room on vent. For several months, on a regular basis, that person was sent to the grounded room when he started "acting up" in vent. When he eventually left the faction, being "muted" had absolutely nothing to do with it. But every time he came back from the grounded room, he came back slightly more subdued than when he went in, so basically, muting him was effective.

And, if you'll remember, the grounded room wasn't locked - whenever he was sent there, he was perfectly able to leave that room himself and rejoin the general channel, yet he sat there every time until he was moved or told he could move back.

A person who can't see the reason they've been muted, who flips out further and leaves the faction for being muted, is an undesirable guildie in my eyes. But a person who gets muted and sees the validity of it, is able to think to themselves, "Yes, okay, I was out of line there, maybe I need a minute to calm down..." Now that's the kind of guildie I like, one who can admit their own mistakes, take their very mild "punishment" like an adult, and move on.

Hell, I can think of a couple of occasions where both that former leader and myself probably should have been muted, either on vent or in faction chat, because we were fighting like cats and dogs - and it's been proven, I'd say, that this is bad for the morale of the whole faction. If only someone had muted a certain someone, or me, or something, things may have turned out very differently for all of us. Instead, the only option for some was to leave the faction.
  • Hazumu - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Well, you do have a point Willow, I do agree that that's how it should clrearly be.

But there's a problem. People are mostly mature only on the surface. How many people, let's say.... out of 20 do you think would stay in the "grounded room" until told they can come out, or moved? I don't see that number being too high.... The guy you talked about is a real personality and I'm sure you agree with me when I say that there ain't many people like him around.

I think that leaving because of being muted is a valid reason to leave. This is because officers are only humans and often not trained to be leaders of anykind at any point of their life. Very rarely do they really think about the psychological aspects of their deeds.

If an average person gets muted, the likelyhood is that they'll get even more mad.

Ok, here's an idea that does the same job as a mute, but preserves the "Face" of the mutee. Let's say that a person starts causing trouble. Instead of muting the person, what about "sending him to his own room". Here's what I mean, what about having a separate room that only very select people can hear people talking in and talk into as well as out of it. These people would be the leader, director and marshals.

Any person (Even if they are a marshal, or higher, in which case they cannot send messages out of the room anymore) that gets sent to this room isn't muted per se. They just cannot shout at people publicly. It doesn't have to be a visible room either, it can be more like a status where commossioners and execs cannot hear your messages anymore, as in being muted to those specific groups.

Here are the advantages of this system rather than a full blown mute:
    The person cannot cause drama in chat anymore, but can still make his point, tell his view of the story.
    This also gives a chance for the officers to see when that person is calm enough again to be allowed in the public again.
    If the "room" isn't a physical place that the mutee can see, they may never even know they are there, thus keeping the person more calm about it.