Drop Rate **** up Economy

Sunwraith - Raging Tide
Sunwraith - Raging Tide Posts: 5 Arc User
edited June 2010 in General Discussion
OK, to make my point clear, it's probably best to illustrate with an example. Remember, this is just an example to make the point, there are many ways in which similar examples are just as guilty.

BACKGROUND: I was Tailor level 3 and was a level 20 Venomancer. I wanted to make the level 3 Arcane Robes to wear at level 20. The recipe calls for a sub-combine which requires, amongst other things , Purified Oil, so I decided to go farm Purified Oil.

PROBLEM: I checked an external database and noted down 5 or 6 mobs, level ranges 21 to 24, that dropped Purified Oil. I put their co-ordinates in my Map, and off I tootled to farm them. AFTER 7 BLOODY HOURS, yes 7 hours, farming the relevant level 21 to 24 mobs, I end up with 6, yes 6, darned Purified Oils. In frustration I gave up and decided to check the Auction House. Purified Oil on the AH is 10K per Oil. So, I spent 7 hours farming, and levelled from 20 to 23 purely on farming xp from those mobs, no quests done at all, and got a pittance in return. Not to mention the amount of times i had to run back to an Outpost to sell off my Inventory contents and lose half the money from that in repair costs, manna pots and HP pots and Pet Foods.

For crying out loud, after skills training, equipment repairs etc etc, I just don't have the money to pay 10K per Purified Oil. But it gets worse. Drop rates on many more of the crafted armors and weapons materials is just as bad, and the prices on the AH reflect this.

CONCLUSION: The devs made drops rates for materials for crafting so bad, that you are forced to either use the Cash Shop to buy from there, or spend inordinate amounts of time farming. I'm at level 23 and still can't make the level 20 Arcane Robe because I'm still farming for the other mats such as Silk Thread, so who knows what level I'll end up at when I can eventually make the level 20 Arcane Robe. As well as the Devs intentionally making material drops bad, forcing players to use the Cash Shop, anyone who doesn't craft will sell those bad drops for stupid, inconsiderate and naiave prices on the AH.

END RESULT: Only the rich and/or Cash Shop users can afford to Craft from Crafting Level 3, reiterating the adage, "The rich get richer and the poor can kiss my A S S".

SUGGESTION: Increase the darned drop rates for crafting materials. I was farming the relevant level 24 mobs for Purified Oil, which was advertised on the Database as having a 7 per cent drop rate, but obviously, my experience puts this to doubt. Increasing the drop rates allows more players to craft, thereby increasing enjoyment of the content, and it reduces the stupid prices for crafting materials on the AH, helping to bring the economy into line. Of course the negative effect will be that people won't use the Cash Shop for these items, but FORCING people to use the Cash Shop to effectively craft can't be good for the game. People will either give up crafting, give up trying to obtain level appropriate gear, or just give up the game completely.

I have a budget of 15 Euros a month to spend in the Cash Shop if I wish. But it will be a cold day in hell before I use that 15 Euros to buy crafting materials, which I am forced to buy from the cash shop in response to the devs intentionally setting a low drop rate for such materials.

I know some people will say just level up normally on quests and with luck the crafting materials will drop as you kill quest mobs. But what's the point of reaching level 29 and still not being able to craft the level 20 Arcane Robes (or whatever), because you still haven't got all the materials?

Not a rant fellas, merely an observation based on my experiences. If you have had better luck with crafting, WITHOUT using the Cash Shop, how about giving me a few tips. At this time, I give up on crafting, and am just questing and using appropriate dropped armor, but I'm pretty sure I can't keep that up from mid-game onwards.
Post edited by Sunwraith - Raging Tide on

Comments

• ACLucius - Archosaur
    ACLucius - Archosaur Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Guess what, once you start hitting 6x mobs, it only gets worse. The problem is you are worried too much about it right now. When you get to 3x you will go to Hidden Orchid for your quests and mobs there love to drop purified oils. Also, at that time you will have the skill Soul Transfusion, which basically gives you unlimited MP.

Also, you are 2x, this is obviously your first time through the game if you are complaining about this, so don't worry. Later on, you won't care about mats as much as you will DQ items that you can sell off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Didn't get the rest of it, but apparently I am the "destroyer of sin haters" as well.
  • Kasumi_S - Heavens Tear
    Kasumi_S - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    I agree. Others might not but I am having a little bit of the same issue. I went to TT's and we went 6x in a row by the end of it we ended up with a total of just 10 drops.... I know it was not this bad before. But I guess its their way of saying buy zen or be broke b:surrender
  • _Pale - Sanctuary
    _Pale - Sanctuary Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Don't waste your time on the crafting things...
    I did it when it was still possible to do it. At higher levels you get even worse quests to level up your crafting level. In the end it's really really not worth it, unless you badly want your name on your stuff. Just buy it from AH while it's cheap or use dropped gear until you can buy the rank ones at lvl 30 I think. Don't waste your time and money on TT armor either, just get the OHT ones and then run the high level TT's just to get the TT 90 armor then go from there. Get a faction friend to make it for you.

Basically, ignore people that want you to go for "the best gear" and go with what is good enough and affordable.
    I'm not there to make you survive in PWI, that's your job
    ** expected fail squad: express rule of thumb "you die by stupidity, you go to town" **
    ~Sanctuary~Cleric/Archer/Veno~Audeamus/Enelysion
  • Revoltech - Lost City
    Revoltech - Lost City Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    If it was really a problem, you'd think more people would take notice. I don't cash shop. I'm doing just fine. There's really no need to level up the various crafting skills. You only need a few friends that have those. And the reason why those friends can level up those skills is because people go to them with mats so they can get things made for them.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    gold is unexpectedly going down lol...you'd think it'd go up on the weekends and before TW too.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Islamey - Dreamweaver
    Islamey - Dreamweaver Posts: 586 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    I don't remember the drop rate being that bad as long as the mob was white name. In fact I'd say its almost generous.
    The chillum is sometimes referred to as a chalice, based on a quote from the Biblical book of Deuteronomy. Thanks and praises are offered to Jah before smoking the chillum.
  • _Pale - Sanctuary
    edited June 2010
    ^
    |
    |
    lol at shopkeepers
    ** expected fail squad: express rule of thumb "you die by stupidity, you go to town" **
  • Vaktoth - Sanctuary
    Vaktoth - Sanctuary Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    OK, to make my point clear, it's probably best to illustrate with an example. Remember, this is just an example to make the point, there are many ways in which similar examples are just as guilty.

BACKGROUND: I was Tailor level 3 and was a level 20 Venomancer. I wanted to make the level 3 Arcane Robes to wear at level 20. The recipe calls for a sub-combine which requires, amongst other things , Purified Oil, so I decided to go farm Purified Oil.

PROBLEM: I checked an external database and noted down 5 or 6 mobs, level ranges 21 to 24, that dropped Purified Oil. I put their co-ordinates in my Map, and off I tootled to farm them. AFTER 7 BLOODY HOURS, yes 7 hours, farming the relevant level 21 to 24 mobs, I end up with 6, yes 6, darned Purified Oils. In frustration I gave up and decided to check the Auction House. Purified Oil on the AH is 10K per Oil. So, I spent 7 hours farming, and levelled from 20 to 23 purely on farming xp from those mobs, no quests done at all, and got a pittance in return. Not to mention the amount of times i had to run back to an Outpost to sell off my Inventory contents and lose half the money from that in repair costs, manna pots and HP pots and Pet Foods.

For crying out loud, after skills training, equipment repairs etc etc, I just don't have the money to pay 10K per Purified Oil. But it gets worse. Drop rates on many more of the crafted armors and weapons materials is just as bad, and the prices on the AH reflect this.

CONCLUSION: The devs made drops rates for materials for crafting so bad, that you are forced to either use the Cash Shop to buy from there, or spend inordinate amounts of time farming. I'm at level 23 and still can't make the level 20 Arcane Robe because I'm still farming for the other mats such as Silk Thread, so who knows what level I'll end up at when I can eventually make the level 20 Arcane Robe. As well as the Devs intentionally making material drops bad, forcing players to use the Cash Shop, anyone who doesn't craft will sell those bad drops for stupid, inconsiderate and naiave prices on the AH.

END RESULT: Only the rich and/or Cash Shop users can afford to Craft from Crafting Level 3, reiterating the adage, "The rich get richer and the poor can kiss my A S S".

SUGGESTION: Increase the darned drop rates for crafting materials. I was farming the relevant level 24 mobs for Purified Oil, which was advertised on the Database as having a 7 per cent drop rate, but obviously, my experience puts this to doubt. Increasing the drop rates allows more players to craft, thereby increasing enjoyment of the content, and it reduces the stupid prices for crafting materials on the AH, helping to bring the economy into line. Of course the negative effect will be that people won't use the Cash Shop for these items, but FORCING people to use the Cash Shop to effectively craft can't be good for the game. People will either give up crafting, give up trying to obtain level appropriate gear, or just give up the game completely.

I have a budget of 15 Euros a month to spend in the Cash Shop if I wish. But it will be a cold day in hell before I use that 15 Euros to buy crafting materials, which I am forced to buy from the cash shop in response to the devs intentionally setting a low drop rate for such materials.

I know some people will say just level up normally on quests and with luck the crafting materials will drop as you kill quest mobs. But what's the point of reaching level 29 and still not being able to craft the level 20 Arcane Robes (or whatever), because you still haven't got all the materials?

Not a rant fellas, merely an observation based on my experiences. If you have had better luck with crafting, WITHOUT using the Cash Shop, how about giving me a few tips. At this time, I give up on crafting, and am just questing and using appropriate dropped armor, but I'm pretty sure I can't keep that up from mid-game onwards.

Warning/Spoiler: wall of text also for reply, sorry but it would be pointless otherwise.

I think the name of external sources can't be included in forums posts so can't tell you exactly where to go or ask where you got that info, but the one I use has not only which mobs drop a certain mat, but all different items dropped from each type of mob and that is the truly relevant information regarding drop rates.

So if you search by mat and you see a list of mobs dropping it don't follow that list right away. Follow each mob link to see the detail of it's items drop list. There you can also see how likely said mob is to drop what you need. If your desired mat is at the top 2 of the list and has a >10% REAL (already calculated) drop rate then that is your mob. Some mobs can have a higher % but if the mat is third or fourth place in the list then you will see more of the drops placed higher for that mob than what you actually want.

For example, out of all the insect-like mobs that drop purified oil, blackhive abandonwifes and ant footsoldiers at Hidden Orchid are the ones that drop it the most. No single mob has purified oil as highest %, but both of these have it as it's second most frecuent drop. This two types of mob dropped nearly 80-90 oils in 10-12 hours, at level 50 when my drop rate is already heavily nerfed by level difference.

You didn't ask for this but I'll tell you anyway... it's better if you buy crafted/fb-dropped mold or 3* gear. Why? Because the odds of getting good and useful gear through crafting are also very low. What you will get most of the time is npc grade gear (1*) with pros and/or cons, a quite low chance of getting 2* items, and very low possibilities of a 3* item. The pros and cons are basically:

Pros: sockets and/or random stats
    Cons: useless random stats and/or not all elemental resistances
    * The elemental resistances thing applies only to armor and elemental ornaments.

Also and along with the previous paragraph, the reason I was going for purified oils at level 50 was the crafting quest needed to get the different crafting level 4 skills. You need very specific items and people who craft them with the purpose of selling charge prices much more ridiculous than the 10k for each oil you already know about. Getting mats at that moment will be much harder so it's best if you save what you get for your quest. Even that way (saving my mats) I had to grind from level 50 to 51 (nearly 200k exp) on mobs 15 levels lower that gave like 25 exp each.

Now do the math, that is far more than 10-12 hours because more than one type of mat is needed and took nearly a week to get all three level 4 skills that require said quest, so I'd really advice you to save your mats and use your coins instead of crafting what you need each tier of levels.
  • Gammaburst - Harshlands
    Gammaburst - Harshlands Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    The drop rate of the low 20s mobs you're are grinding on have very low drop rate for purified oil.

Here is how it works. A mob has a certain percent chance to drop mats for its level and another much lower percent chance to drop mats of a higher level. You are grinding a mob that not even the level of the drop you want so you are getting the secondary drop rate of a mat higher than the mob, 2which is extremely low.

When you grind the mobs south of hidden orchid that drop purified oil the drop rate will be many times higher and your bag will fill up. I remember when i did one man army quest on the Tiger Strip Araneids, my slot bag fill up. I had hundreds of them, but i grinded a lot more than 7 hours, maybe 70 to 100 hours or more.

Regarding price. If your search around you can easily get purified oil for 3k and less. They are not that rare.
  • DrDrakken - Lost City
    DrDrakken - Lost City Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Forget AH. Go browse cat shopsb:shocked
    [SIGPIC]T.T[/SIGPIC]
    (best i could do T_T)
    b:cryYou were the best CM everb:cry

August 12 - I'm officially 15 b:pleased
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    ^
    |
    |
    lol at shopkeepers

what do you mean lol at shopkeepers?

You don't lose from gold going down.

Lets say i have about 38m and bought 90 gold at 425k each. Gold has now plummeted to something like 370k, with market prices for packs at around 365k. I lose money right?

If I sell 100 packs for 365k each, I have about 36.5m no? Now if i rebuy gold at 370k each with that coin, i will have about 98 gold. How many gold I has is really what I'm concerned about. Problem is if gold goes up right after I liquidize 100 packs. Unstable gold prices is what's scary.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • _Pale - Sanctuary
    edited June 2010
    It doesn't help OP.

She still spends money on getting the gear and getting the manufacturing skill that isn't worth it at the going rate for mats. Regardless of gold prices.
    It's not the marketvalue of the product you are selling, but it's usefulness.

It's a bit like selling a Bentley to a farmer who needs a tractor...
    Great for weddings, but harvest season is going to be tough this year.
    b:chuckle
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Spiders and Scorpions outside of South Arch and by Hidden Orchard drop them like crazy. They're 3x mobs.

The reason 2x mobs don't drop much of it is because you don't really need that mat until you're 3x anyway.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    what do you mean lol at shopkeepers?

You don't lose from gold going down.

Lets say i have about 38m and bought 90 gold at 425k each. Gold has now plummeted to something like 370k, with market prices for packs at around 365k. I lose money right?

If I sell 100 packs for 365k each, I have about 36.5m no? Now if i rebuy gold at 370k each with that coin, i will have about 98 gold. How many gold I has is really what I'm concerned about. Problem is if gold goes up right after I liquidize 100 packs. Unstable gold prices is what's scary.

Unstable gold prices be fun.
    ^.^
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MageMERC - Harshlands
    MageMERC - Harshlands Posts: 1,600 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Do this:

Do all the normal stuff until a 2 x drop promotion, THEN grind for crafting materials..... I have 350 purified oil in storage from the last 2 x promotion.

Also

When grinding have a look on pwdatabase at the full range of drops from a particular mob for the following reason:

One mob might have drops in this order 1 - dq item; 2 dq item; 3 pot; 4 arrows; 5 the drop you want

Second mob (of same level) might have 1 dq item; 2 hp pot; 3 arrows; 4 the drop you want

BUT, the drop you want for both mobs might be exactly the same - like 5% or somthing, so by grinding the first mob you actually get more total dq items to sell while grinding for the drops you want.....

Good luck... and it gets worse.... the higher you go the less the crafting materials drop.
  • Asheera - Raging Tide
    Asheera - Raging Tide Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    and it gets worse.... the higher you go the less the crafting materials drop.
    And much higher amount of mats per craft AND number of crafts needed to level and 2* items needed for quests. b:surrender
    First 103 on Raging Tide 30 Oct 2010
    Quit.