Pet healing help?

Kidae - Heavens Tear
Kidae - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
edited June 2010 in Dungeons & Tactics
I'm a beginner venomancer and I'm really frustrated. Every time my pet has aggro of more than 1 mob and I heal my pet he loses the aggro of every other mob besides the one he is attacking no matter if I cast roar or not. It's really frustrating because I have to run and can't heal my pet. I don't get why he will not hold the aggro on him?? Help on this please? b:surrender
Post edited by Kidae - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Yindra - Sanctuary
    Yindra - Sanctuary Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Simple.

First of all, pets are "1vs1", they aren't particulary good at dealing with multiple monsters. That's why you can lure: in short, send your pet to attack one monster, don't do anything yourself. Pet will gain aggro on that monster, and his friends around. Then, unsummon the pet. The monster that actually did get hit now switches aggro over to you, but all his friends will reset. So, just one will be coming at you. Resummon your pet and send it to intercept. Practice a bit, so the final catch will be outside the range of the original crowd.

Now, having said that, you CAN keep aggro on multiple monsters --- the pet has to attack everything at least once. This will give it a stronger aggro that your heal. You can't really deal with a whole group that way, but you can deal with something walking into range or respawning; I find that dealing with 2 or 3 monsters that way tends to be faster than luring. You also need to have the pet land the hits before you heal.

EDIT: to do all this, you have to use the pet commands, not the "automatic" mode where the pet attacks whatever you attack.
    Slow progress, game is getting way too grindy :-( Quests I still hope to be able to do some day: FB39, General Feng
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Yindra nailed it. if your pet gets aggro'd by more than one mob, you get to do a hectic tango; target each mob, press alt-1, wait for pet to land a hit, target the next... until you've hit them all, and THEN heal pet. hoping all the while your pet won't die before you've got through the whole crowd.

tips: keep your pet healed to the max as much and as long as possible - don't wait on the pet heals, at least not when there are un-involved mobs in the area that might suddenly get involved. if the risk of this seems greater than usual, make sure to use your toughest pet, even if you'd prefer to be leveling some other one.

or, get the reflect skill for your pet. but that's expen$ive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Sangodoc - Dreamweaver
    Sangodoc - Dreamweaver Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, the pet Roar skill only affects one mob, unlike the barb Roar, which is an AoE skill.

Basically, you just need to learn effective luring practices. See the Venomancer Luring section of the PWI wiki for all sorts of helpful information on that.

Good luck! b:victory