Server Merge

Comments

• Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    You could merge RT with Arch and STILL have less people than one of the older servers.

Yes, name pools, name pools, you keep saying that. We get it. There are various solutions to that problem, that is no reason to totally throw the idea out the window.

Your estimation of server populations is seriously off. You could take either one of the newest servers and merge it with say, Dreamweaver and still have plenty of room for more.
    whats your opinion of the tards asking for moar servers
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • NightRage - Raging Tide
    NightRage - Raging Tide Posts: 1,582 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    whats your opinion of the tards asking for moar servers

My opinion is that I want to punch them as hard as I can in the face. They want a new server just so they can "b da very best." They've probably tried many times to keep up each time a new server comes out, but don't quite make it.

I never asked for a new server, never thought I would move to one. But when RT came out I said what the heck.

When Archosaur came out, I just knew Raging Tides was doomed. Now both servers are horrifyingly empty.

People want a new server? I say to them, "Go play Frogger in the interstate."
  • Desiree - Harshlands
    Desiree - Harshlands Posts: 635 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Server merges are pretty common, especially when you have as many ghost servers as they do the various Asian versions. The question really is, can the player base convince management that doing so would be more profitable than the current setup?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    I will be surprised if they do a server merge here. That usually screams something is wrong too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
    edited June 2010
    Server merges are pretty common, especially when you have as many ghost servers as they do the various Asian versions. The question really is, can the player base convince management that doing so would be more profitable than the current setup?

Hai dere.

I think it's pretty obvious to the company that they have a problem. In a recent thread made by Michael_dark, he pointed out how the company was now catering too much to short term players.

People like GonjaQueen, LuciferV, people that have spent thousands and probably would continue to dump money into this game (they were never satisfied with what they had) are now quitting. When the server isn't fun to play on any more, people don't feel like putting money into the game, because it's a waste.
  • BeingHope - Raging Tide
    BeingHope - Raging Tide Posts: 1,869 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Meh thats a shock. Thats what I want to do when someone asks for more servers too b:chuckle I'm so sick of people talking about a new server when its just going to be another fail .___.

And whats your solutions around the name pools then? I'd like to hear that one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hiatus from April 2011
    edited June 2010
    Meh thats a shock. Thats what I want to do when someone asks for more servers too b:chuckle I'm so sick of people talking about a new server when its just going to be another fail .___.

And whats your solutions around the name pools then? I'd like to hear that one.

Make people from the newer server (The one that is being merged) pick new names. Yeah it sucks, but it's a sacrifice I'd be willing to give. We could all throw I in front of our name like the Archtards.
    IIxNightRagexII

But I would find a new original name :)
  • Sangodoc - Dreamweaver
    Sangodoc - Dreamweaver Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Instead of asking them to merge servers, why not ask for them to advertise more or something like that to help gain a larger player base? If a server has too few people, a far better solution is to get more new people and to try to retain the people you have. Perhaps surveys from the people who left might help them figure out what needs to be changed to retain players as well.

It just seems that server merges are a technically complicated last resort, not a first resort for what might be a temporary and/or subjective drop in the number of players.
    edited June 2010
    Make people from the newer server (The one that is being merged) pick new names. Yeah it sucks, but it's a sacrifice I'd be willing to give. We could all throw I in front of our name like the Archtards.
    IIxNightRagexII

But I would find a new original name :)

NO WAY I'M DOING THAT!!!! b:shocked

I have my line of BeingHopes, I'm not going to mess that up!!! b:angry And ewww..... IIBeingHopeII.... <_____< don't even think about it lmao.

I refuse to change my characters name

Meh any other solutions since that one sucked b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hiatus from April 2011
    edited June 2010
    Instead of asking them to merge servers, why not ask for them to advertise more or something like that to help gain a larger player base? If a server has too few people, a far better solution is to get more new people and to try to retain the people you have. Perhaps surveys from the people who left might help them figure out what needs to be changed to retain players as well.

It just seems that server merges are a technically complicated last resort, not a first resort for what might be a temporary and/or subjective drop in the number of players.

Good suggestion.

Unfortunately PWI doesn't care enough to do that. They won't even read the freaking forums to hear people that are STILL PLAYING what their concerns are. Nothing ever gets done from a suggestion. These forums are like a bad joke.

PWI advertises a ton. Unfortunately, they have essentially ruined the game for older players and even some serious newer players.

I think PWI does a good job of getting people to try the game, but a horrible job at retaining players. And all the level 30s in the world won't help me get a Delta squad.

Population has been a steady decline for a while now, not just some recent subtle thing.
    edited June 2010
    And a server merge would do what to that? It would cause more confusion for older AND newer players, and be a sign of PWI losing money or whatever.

But yeah, the only way the devs will listen to us if we march right into a meeting or whatever and scream at their faces b:chuckleb:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hiatus from April 2011
  • Redmenace - Heavens Tear
    Redmenace - Heavens Tear Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited June 2010

I have many friends, I have built a faction I was proud of, and I've done just about all quests left to me.

You sound so cool with your "Herp derp 4 months ToPsZ?" however the server has been open for close to 7 months, which is more than enough time for a college student to reach end game.

Your post is just summed up to this. "Hurr durr you leveled faster than I deem appropriate or possible so u need to git a lyfeeee."

/QUOTE]

Oddly enough, I don't see any "hurr durr" in that post. I suppose you're gonna see what you want to see.

The fact remains that you are looking to PWI to solve a problem that very few have - you level too fast.

And you suggest solving it by altering the dynamics of several servers, just so you have someone to run Rebirth and Nirvana with.

More to the point, since you are such a veteran of the game - do you think there is a chance in Hell that any kind that any kind of server merge / account xfer will ever happen?

How many threads in this forum have you seen spiked (or locked) over the same question? 500? 1000?

"When are you gonna merge servers, QQ?!" "Not gonna happen."

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

They have no intention of doing anything of the sort. They have no interest in doing so. If a server is so dead that there aren't enough people to run the instances, they'll wait until the traffic drops to a certain level, and KILL IT. You know this, I know this, and nearly everyone in this thread knows this.

Why is this a question? Do you believe you can convince PWI otherwise?

RedMenace

\here, give this button a try
    \\I guarantee it will be more useful than this thread
    operatedonkeys.jpg
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert A. Heinlein
    edited June 2010
    Wow good point there Redmenace b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hiatus from April 2011
    edited June 2010
    I don't see how 100 in 7 months is too fast.

You have a point with PWI not listening. BRB.
  • Fuzzy_Wuzzy - Raging Tide
    Fuzzy_Wuzzy - Raging Tide Posts: 770 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Basically is seems to Fuzzy that NightRage is having a hard time finding a party to do much...

Guess suggesting a server merge "might" seem like an answer. But Fuzzy not understand. Me not find RT to be all that underpopulated. At least no where near as bad as people in this thread seem to think. It may not be overflowing with players by any stretch of the imagination but it is also far far far from empty.

Not sure why you are having such a problem finding people to delta with etc... can't say Fuzzy ever has this problem. If so inclined, Fuzzy could run delta, Sot, Abaddon, 3-2, 3-3, Nirvana etc etc till me blue in the face each and every day. If you consider the faction you had at your disposal it is extremely surprising you don't have 100 9x you can call on for help.

Also, a trend Fuzzy has noticed on RT is that some people (who shall remain nameless) are for some reason afraid to run an instance like delta unless their entire squad is 10x.. Just because you can't find 5 other 10x doesn't mean you need to sit around complaining you can't get it done.

But as for considering a server merge? No point right now. Just because OP can't find a party to do what he wants doesn't mean everyone else has this problem too.

RT's server population is doing just fine.

b:shutup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2010
    stuff

what about PK?
  • XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary
    XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary Posts: 683 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    The real issue is all the people who speed level. They race to 100, and when they finally get there, there is not much game left for them because they bypassed most of the content you're supposed to go through. That and in the end, there's not much left for a PvE server to offer when most of your community doesn't PvP. PWI has supported this as they don't really care about long term players, but cater mostly to the quick levelers who will pay to get there, and get there so fast they don't have time to make friends and bond with their communities, so they hit the end, proclaim game over and leave for something different.

Not much you can do about it without changing the new style of gameplay. Hyper Frost and BH are the two largest contributors to this.

Sad to say that the long term playability that this game was originally and quite brilliantly designed for has been mostly overlooked this past 9 months. Not much is likely to change either.

I also suspect that the newer servers suffer far worse than the older servers. Many of whom retain a lot of their older players for these reasons.

wow for once i completely like and agree with something you have posted. +1million
    Q - How to win on Perfect World?
    A - Throw money at it.
  • Fuzzy_Wuzzy - Raging Tide
    Fuzzy_Wuzzy - Raging Tide Posts: 770 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    what about PK?

What about it? There might not be 1000 people running around white name, but there are enough to keep Fuzzy interested.

Sure, Luci & company (you know who me mean) can tear Fuzzy limb from limb in about 2.3 seconds but so what? There are still a fair amount of others around to pk with/against.

It does sometimes feel to Fuzzy like me only see the same people white named day after day but thats only because me not really look for anyone else. Fuzzy is pretty sure there are lots of 7x, 8x etc running around white names but me tend not to notice them. No point in bothering those people... Fuzzy leaves them to play with people their own level...

b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Asheera - Raging Tide
    Asheera - Raging Tide Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    While I agree this server isn't too populated I also agree with Fuzzy a bit it's not doing extremely bad like you point out, at least not as Archo from what I read.

I would love more population BUT hate server merge. For one it's a new name to choose, for another is... I rolled on this server exactly because it was newest, this is my first char unlike others who reroll on new servers (sigh I don't understand them) and I chose newest server because I'd totally hate people who started playing long ago bragging in my face with how much effort they put etc (like MichaelDark does too at least he's not on my server lol)

I can tell you that A LOT of people would be upset by the merge, it wouldn't be only bright like you seem to think and say in this thread. Upset enough to quit maybe. I'd personally most certainly hate to compete with 1 and a half year old players from older servers.
    First 103 on Raging Tide 30 Oct 2010
    Quit.
  • Aubree - Dreamweaver
    Aubree - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,868 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Somehow I dont think if they actually did merge, you would be happy on any of the servers. RT is what your 3rd?
  • Nahktuul - Archosaur
    Nahktuul - Archosaur Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    stuff

Im enclined to agree with your OP, NR. Arch is just...well...I thought it would get better, but we are coming into the 5th month. And its just sad really, the state of the server.

I wouldnt mind a server merge myself to be honest. +1 to your OP.
    PWI Gamer since Closed Beta (Under RisenPhoenix/Nahktuul - Sanctuary/Archosaur)
  • LifeHunting - Heavens Tear
    LifeHunting - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    I say, give a server merge to Arch and Raging Tide.

This mainly being based on the facts people have provided where the isn't enough of higher lvls on either server. If you merge the two, you will get enough high lvls, and a plentyful of lower lvls (like the older servers). This alone will boost the moral of the players on both servers.
  • Dandelyn - Heavens Tear
    Dandelyn - Heavens Tear Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Instead of a blanket merge of certain servers, why not introduce a "Character Transfer Stone" that can be bought for a fair price from the boutique. PWI wins cause they get more $$. Players who are frustrated win because they can have a change of scenery.

Stipulations might include a possible name alteration if there is already a character by the same name on the new server. Perhaps there should be a gear stipulation as well for transferring from older/pve servers to newer/pvp servers..?

What do you all think?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Instead of a blanket merge of certain servers, why not introduce a "Character Transfer Stone" that can be bought for a fair price from the boutique. PWI wins cause they get more $$. Players who are frustrated win because they can have a change of scenery.

Stipulations might include a possible name alteration if there is already a character by the same name on the new server. Perhaps there should be a gear stipulation as well for transferring from older/pve servers to newer/pvp servers..?

What do you all think?

All items are bound and you can't transfer any coins. No abusing the other server when you move.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • Lieal - Dreamweaver
    Lieal - Dreamweaver Posts: 427 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    I can see both the pros and cons of merging all servers, so that's why I say just merge the newer servers together - Raging Tide and Archosaur, maybe throw in Harshlands; Dreamweaver if people really complain. Lost City, Sanctuary, and Heaven's Tear look just fine to me, they can stay as they are.

Throwing all servers into one will, also, provide more lag, I'm guessing - if I walk into Archosaur on Heaven's Tear, I lag out like nobody's business. Dreamweaver? A bit better. Raging Tides is pretty well off. For people like me who don't have ultra-super-cool fast computers, throwing the entire player base onto one server might just make our game explode. (From what I can see, anyway.)

PK on Lost City looks just fine, Dreamweaver is okay too, Raging Tide is the same group... and as much as I love PvP, I have to agree that if you want to PK, you should have rolled a PvP server. Cash shoppers are rolling in by the hoardes.

TW will be fun, I think. =) Will certainly stop the QQing about people wanting a more colored map and more than one faction dominating - that is, until the top factions from all the server will emerge and it starts all over again. Then I'll just LoL.

As for the name base - I can certainly see the problem there, and people not wanting to give up their names. I can see a lot of rage quitting happening. ^_^ And as much as I'd like to keep the name 'Lieal' - I don't know if there are any other Lieals out there, I'll have to check just for curiosity's sake - I don't mind changing it into something new and different. The English language is a vast one, and it's easy to come up with something not even in the dictionary. Or as NightRage said, we can all go like Archosaur and implement creative ways to use symbols. =p

I for one wouldn't mind either way if the servers merged into one - preferably two, though - because that would give people a chance to squad and meet new players, and I - from personal experience - won't have to jump vents and servers if I want to go talk to somebody. But as people have brought up countless times here, when is PWI even likely to do this? Sure, it happened in MY, but this is International we're talking about. All you have to do is look at the cash shop.

Just my opinions on this. :)

EDIT: There is a Lieal on every server but Lost City... I'm going to go cry in a corner now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cenminator - Dreamweaver
    Cenminator - Dreamweaver Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    if there was someway to move your characters it should be limited to moving only to a server that is older then the one you are on. anything else would just be a terrible way to exploit the game and would prevent people from taking advantage of new players and lower level players on the newer servers
    edited June 2010
    if there was someway to move your characters it should be limited to moving only to a server that is older then the one you are on. anything else would just be a terrible way to exploit the game and would prevent people from taking advantage of new players and lower level players on the newer servers

I would be ecstatic to go to an older server.

LOL @ Lieal's signature.
  • Lieal - Dreamweaver
    Lieal - Dreamweaver Posts: 427 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    I would be ecstatic to go to an older server.

LOL @ Lieal's signature.

Having you back would be interesting. =p
    And I thought you'd like it. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DeathBanana - Heavens Tear
    DeathBanana - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,674 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    For reference: HT, Sanc, and Arch all share a name database. HL and RT are supposed to, but for some weird reason they don't.

EDIT: By HL I meant DW. >.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9x Demon Cleric
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Don't worry, they shut down the other servers to use for their other games once they go live.
    b:chuckle
    b:avoid
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.