Is getting a barb worth it?

RawrNStuffz - Dreamweaver
RawrNStuffz - Dreamweaver Posts: 2 Arc User
edited June 2010 in Barbarian
Hello,

Rawr wanted to play a barb to become the tank in a group, however, Rawr has been browsing the forums lately and there has been a major discussion on barbarians losing aggro from bosses which completely defeats the purpose of a tank. So my real question is, is there any real reason to play a barbarian now if all the class does is take up space in the party? Should Rawr continue playing as a Barb and hope they fix this problem?
Post edited by RawrNStuffz - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Qingzi - Harshlands
    Qingzi - Harshlands Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    I think you should continue as a barb if you like to play as one, if you don't like it, then don't play one.

A barb does not take up space in the party (not with all these people thinking only barbs can tank)

As for fixing the problem of people stealing aggro, it's called aggro-management. Every person has to learn that, and some just think it's BS but what the hell, they're always the first ones to die b:laugh. Considered they actually manage to steal aggro.b:thanks
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    I think its worth it, sure Barbs at end-game aren't the only tanks at that point, but still, I have lots of fun being a Barb.

We have awesome buffs and can survive longer than most classes, plus we run fast in instances. Love hearing the mage classes complaining about running too slow in FBs and TT runs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • RawrNStuffz - Dreamweaver
    RawrNStuffz - Dreamweaver Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Rawr has decided to stay as a barbarian. Rawr has been looking around lately for builds and Rawr mostly sees that the tanking build seems to lack luster in later levels. What would be a more diverse build that is acceptable amongst barbs? or is this assumption wrong? Originally Rawr decided to go with a tank build, meeting weapon requirements and armor requirements for str and dex and put all extra points into vitality.
  • Reichle - Sanctuary
    Reichle - Sanctuary Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Ah, first why are you speaking in 3rd person? LMAO
    Second, barbs lose aggro for two reasons, actually three:
    1. They are fail.
    2. The DDs are fail.
    3. Both 1 and 2.
    So if you are playing a barb, find out which skills make you not fail, and leave a squad with fail DDs, and you will have fun :)
    Reichle lvl7x cleric | Neithin lvl5x barb | Tigressi lvl3x veno | Etheriali lvl3x wiz | Goldeeni lvl2x sin | Lilaq lvl2x BM | Fuegai lvlx archer | Whiteney psychic not created yet >_>

Yes, I love PWI that much. Every class is awesome in their own way.
  • Havoc_Greg - Raging Tide
    Havoc_Greg - Raging Tide Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Havoc_Greg think not pay any attention to the opinion of the adolescent above, the squad works as a whole, sometimes bad and sometimes worst. Havoc_Greg recommends you to learn more about the game and about your character, in time you could become a good Barb.

PD: don't reply me cz I don't care.
  • SerenityMare - Dreamweaver
    SerenityMare - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,211 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    BARBS ARE SMEXY!!!b:dirty

OP: Don't worry. Barb is a great class to play, and you learn along the way. Make sure to have good friends that have experience and that would help you too ^^ You learn from your mistakes and you gain experience. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cybetron - Harshlands
    Cybetron - Harshlands Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Just so you know only Fuzzy has the right to the 3rd person self-reference on forums b:chuckle Although end-game barbs do have competitor in tanking that really doesn't mean that barbs are out of work. We are good tanks most of the time (provided you manage your build to hold aggro).

Till endgame (maybe 95+) you will be the designated tank for almost all the instances so leveling (finding parties) and making some money out of TTs (first preference to barbs after sub-holder) are the benefits. Of course, the above two statements hold as long as you hold the reputation of being a good tanker - a good aggro holder and savior of the squishies b:cuteb:victory
  • _Lionheart_ - Dreamweaver
    _Lionheart_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Second, barbs lose aggro for two reasons, actually three:
    1. They are fail.
    2. The DDs are fail.
    3. Both 1 and 2.
    So if you are playing a barb, find out which skills make you not fail, and leave a squad with fail DDs, and you will have fun :)

Lionheart sad. ROFL no 3rd person for me. A very simple way to keep aggro is flesh ream spam. Yeah it runs yur MP down a little but if i can hold my aggro vs 80-90 DD's easily with good gear then aggro isnt an issue
  • KingTank - Heavens Tear
    KingTank - Heavens Tear Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    i like barbs because...

We have

1. High HP
    2. High Defence
    3. Fast Movement speed
    4. lots of debuffs
    5. an epic skill called Invoke which reduced dmg by 90%
    6. Self Healing
    7. Strongest AOE ingame (depending on HP)
    8. Nice Buffs
    9. The Devs are making us into mounts...
  • Fuzzy_Wuzzy - Raging Tide
    Fuzzy_Wuzzy - Raging Tide Posts: 770 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Just so you know only Fuzzy has the right to the 3rd person self-reference on forums b:chuckle

b:laugh Fuzzy got a kick outta that.

As to OP's comment about loosing agro etc, it is true that with all the -int bm/sin running around these days it can be tricky to hold the boss's attention if said bm/sin decide to go all out. But honestly, since OP is still 2x it not an issue they going to encounter for another 70 levels.

oh, and a side-note... (even though Fuzzy sure no one care)....

step 1 to actually matching Fuzzy's forum sig achieved! 4 socket nirvana Cascade Glow chest made last night. b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    i like barbs because...

We have

1. High HP FTW
    2. High Defence Epic win
    3. Fast Movement speed mount speed!
    4. lots of debuffs Frighten wins
    5. an epic skill called Invoke which reduced dmg by 90% Best skill ingame
    6. Self Healing Which th 7/8 classes have
    7. Strongest AOE ingame (depending on HP) BMs have better at AOEs, and swell on barbs are cooler
    8. Nice Buffs True
    9. The Devs are making us into mounts... Same as 4, barbs have nice aggro skills

10. carebear class ftw b:cute which is why I love barbs most for these reasons b:victory

My barb is a caretiger b:avoid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • TigerLily - Lost City
    TigerLily - Lost City Posts: 1,209 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Barb is mostly a pvp class endgame now. In pve you will always get bypassed by fist BMs as tank.

Its pretty hard for barbs to get in Nirvana parties and such actually, well unless you get claws and interval gear as well. People just want fast runs and players that can deal max dmg. Having high HP and defense is not that important.

If your a tank build barb you will only be invited if party cant find a BM tank. Even fist archers are used as tanks before barbs. Barbs are really only used for the the hp/attack buff, which you can just get from anyone before the instance.

In PvP a barb is worth it of course, an endgame demon barb has always been one of the strongest 1v1 classes in the game.
  • Cybetron - Harshlands
    Cybetron - Harshlands Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited June 2010

step 1 to actually matching Fuzzy's forum sig achieved! 4 socket nirvana Cascade Glow chest made last night. b:laugh

wow.. b:dirty grats on that Fuzzy. Can you post an SS of it? Wanna see how it looks on a tiger b:victory
  • Fuzzy_Wuzzy - Raging Tide
    Fuzzy_Wuzzy - Raging Tide Posts: 770 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    wow.. b:dirty grats on that Fuzzy. Can you post an SS of it? Wanna see how it looks on a tiger b:victory

Will post an SS maybe later tonight after Fuzzy makes the boots for the set as well. b:cute

edit:

There ya go Cybetron -->

r7qfyc.jpg

Sorry to dissapoint, but Fuzzy only a tiger in true form....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tygryska - Lost City
    Tygryska - Lost City Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2010

Roleplaying?

Can't say anything new really.

I like tigers for high hp and p. def, for look like white tiger... never had it in any game before, is funny to see your tiger in run.. or. in all things it can do xD I love meowing to male chars >xD My build is tank build, dex now at 60, vit at ~ 120 and str .. don't remember ...220+ like xD but I'm putting now all points into vitality. 74 lv and 8k hp in only truly true form- TIGER ( I'm almost always in tiger, other case my name could be wrong.. Tygryska in polish~ female tiger).

Tygryska starts spreeing LOVE everywhere around b:dirty Feel it. NOW b:angry

<-- I have 74 lvl barbarian NOT 37 =.=''
  • Untamedchaos - Sanctuary
    Untamedchaos - Sanctuary Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Chaos like Rawr's decision to stay a barb. We are the best, simply put. b:victory

As defined by my sig <3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] With a .25x multiplier = 423520 regular

Booyah.
  • EmptyWords - Heavens Tear
    EmptyWords - Heavens Tear Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Barb is mostly a pvp class endgame now. In pve you will always get bypassed by fist BMs as tank.

Its pretty hard for barbs to get in Nirvana parties and such actually

...no

First of all we have to understand what tank means. Tank is not only who keep aggro while the squad beat the boss, tank is also who can survive for all the time of the battle.
    Barbs skills are 100 times better than BM ones for staying alive.
    ..and if i have to be honest..a BM fist can't keep aggro well like an experienced barb. Generally they steal aggro cause they spark (demon) 0.2 secs after the first FR...thanks a lot..no time to build aggro for barb lol...

Point 2: Nirvana is not the only instance end-game. In PWI there are lot of things to do so if barbs are not number ONE in that istance is not true that they sucks in Pve. Isn't it?
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    ..and if i have to be honest..a BM fist can't keep aggro well like an experienced barb. Generally they steal aggro cause they spark (demon) 0.2 secs after the first FR...thanks a lot..no time to build aggro for barb lol...

A 10X demon BM will steal and keep aggro if he's got interval gear and halfway decent refines. By the time his first spark burst is over, he'll have another triple spark ready to be used... He'll keep aggro that entire time.

If you decide to take aggro and tank, all you will do is drive the cleric crazy while the boss plays musical aggro. Not that important if it's a non-aoe boss. But on an aoe boss it resets the aoe timing, making cancelling a pain in the rear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • EmptyWords - Heavens Tear
    EmptyWords - Heavens Tear Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    A 10X demon BM will steal and keep aggro if he's got interval gear and halfway decent refines.

...and this is your opinion b:laugh

If u compare a 10x BM bla bla bla to a 10x barb tank bla bla bla I continue to prefer the barb..

...and this is my opinion b:chuckle
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    ...and this is your opinion b:laugh

If u compare a 10x BM bla bla bla to a 10x barb tank bla bla bla I continue to prefer the barb..

...and this is my opinion b:chuckle

Hardly an opinion, it is fact.

Consider Gyonax, highest ranked barb on HT, with mad gear. He loses aggro to a lvl100 demon fist bm with +5 deicides. They play aggro ping pong between the BM's demon spark.

But believe what you want.

Personally I'd rather it be different. I chose a tank class because I want to tank, not sit on the sidelines.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin