Hyper Pause Grinding in OVS - The New Daily

Options
Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
edited June 2010 in General Discussion
Since they nerfed the hyper XP in Nirvana and I don't like FCC I tested out how efficient Hyper grinding in OVS is while pausing. OVS is a past map accessible to level 90+ players who have unlocked it via the Chrono quest. The removal of the 1 minute penalty for pausing makes this type of grinding very coin efficient.

The basic strategy is to round up the mobs near the entry, open zhen, start 12x hyper, and pause after the mobs are dead. Most classes can do it but BMs, Archers, and Wizards are particularly well-suited to these mobs. Other classes will take longer to kill.

Here is what OVS grinding looks like on an archer (though this doesn't show hypers):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0UfOHnFDOs

Total time to do 10 rounds of this:
15 min 40s

Total XP Gained:
1.53M XP

Total Hyper Time Used:
1min 49s

With Hyper stones costing about 300k atm this is about 43K worth of Hyper, this is actually less than the 67K worth of loot I picked up. Even without that loot 1.53M XP using 43K of hyper is roughly 8.5 times more coin efficient than Crazy Stone (370K XP for 71.5K coin) and about 400 times more efficient than Oracles.

This is also more XP than the 1M you get from completing the Cube and takes roughly the same time.

Now if I were to do a full hour of this without pausing using 5 hyper stones thats 6M XP a day at about 1.5M cost which would be about the same efficiency as Crazy Stone.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
Post edited by Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 on

Comments

• Lylfo - Dreamweaver
    Lylfo - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    So it is cost efficient but the new limit of 10 pauses per day pretty much limit how much this can be used. Most people who used hypers in FC(or FCC) were mostly those who wants 10 level in 1 week. But I suppose even if you don't pause it, it is a very efficient method of grinding exp.

Not to mention, it is very hard to do the quest to get there especially for those who don't have faction support. I have seen bribes worth millions just to find a barb for wave 4 delta.
    Thanks Chillum for the nice Sig.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Since they nerfed the hyper XP in Nirvana and I don't like FCC I tested out how efficient Hyper grinding in OVS is while pausing. OVS is a past map accessible to level 90+ players who have unlocked it via the Chrono quest. The removal of the 1 minute penalty for pausing makes this type of grinding very coin efficient.

This is actually the first thing many of us were thinking when hypers were first released. I wasn't so concerned about frost, but 3rd map grinding just became a whole lot more interesting.

This was still an attractive use of hyper even before the latest changes, especially during 2x. Now it is a really efficient use of hyper, though yeah, you're limited to 10 pulls if you want to maximize your hyper time.

Without 2x, if you're adamant and pick up everything except cards, you can make about 1m coin an hour. That covers some of your cost hypering and you'll save a little bit of time pausing and unpausing... You'd use about 1m20s of hyper for each full pull which takes about 4m if you're doing it solo and collecting drops. With a zhen party you don't really need to pause, but your exp gain is going to be quite a bit less since it's shared.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • kenlee
    kenlee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ovs? its called valley of the scarred or 3rd map
    for veno is better 2nd map since is almost twice xp and herc can keep like 20 mobs or more
  • Maragon - Dreamweaver
    Maragon - Dreamweaver Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I know i'm a little ways off but any of those maps have poison mobs that would be good exp grinding?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I know i'm a little ways off but any of those maps have poison mobs that would be good exp grinding?

Umm... you don't need to grind poison mobs in past maps to get good exp. There are physical mobs that even a cleric can aoe grind right by the entrance of 3rd map, there are other magic mobs in various areas you can grind as well.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Maragon - Dreamweaver
    Maragon - Dreamweaver Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Umm... you don't need to grind poison mobs in past maps to get good exp. There are physical mobs that even a cleric can aoe grind right by the entrance of 3rd map, there are other magic mobs in various areas you can grind as well.

yes i know u dont NEED to grind poison mobs but poison or fire DoT are easy for a cleric that is why i asked.

so.....any of those maps have poison mobs that would be good exp grinding?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    Traz - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    The best experience will always using hyper on the last 5 bosses and do 2 runs (5 activations each) but obviously this isn't the most time affective as must runs average 1 1/2 hours. There is also the factor of getting coins back for drops. Overall the VoS has the best all around with gaining coins back, but if you just need to use up 5 hypers to bump you a level or something it would still be more effective to just do a few runs a day in FC. Once again, it's all about what you want out of them.
    BladedZero - Sanctuary
    "Also I don't think actually playing through the game helps your skill either."

-And we wonder why this game has gone to hell b:cute
  • Nukesrus - Harshlands
    Nukesrus - Harshlands Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Asterelle, you just made my day. I need to get 3rd map ASAP because I don't have a lot of time to donate to FC runs and this sounds perfect. :D
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    yes i know u dont NEED to grind poison mobs but poison or fire DoT are easy for a cleric that is why i asked.

so.....any of those maps have poison mobs that would be good exp grinding?

These mobs are beyond easy...easier then poison....used to <3 grinding 3rd map b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Asterelle, you just made my day. I need to get 3rd map ASAP because I don't have a lot of time to donate to FC runs and this sounds perfect. :D

If you don't have a lot of time for FCs the quest to get to the 3rd map is going to be even more time consuming then FC runs.

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=658002#post7282422

have fun everyone :)
    BladedZero - Sanctuary

• Nukesrus - Harshlands
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    VlLKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I used to grind there whenever I needed last few %.

Lol but be prepared for a lot of ksing & QQing & other ppl coming in & trying to grind as well. Some are nice & leave if you ask & claim to have been there 1st, but not always... This is especially true if you grind for an entire hour session.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Mmmm well if you don't do FCC, you can just pop in to OVS for 15 mins, use less than 2 mins of hyper, and walk away with 1.5m XP.

Thats alot better than the reward for BH2 (BH100), takes a lot less time, and there is no wine fee. FCC from what I understand is more XP but takes alot more time and costs more hyper.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    VlLKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Lol I'm in no hurry to lvl + sold my mount. It's harder to gather while flying, half of mobs reset when I gather that way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Mmmm well if you don't do FCC, you can just pop in to OVS for 15 mins, use less than 2 mins of hyper, and walk away with 1.5m XP.

Thats alot better than the reward for BH2 (BH100), takes a lot less time, and there is no wine fee. FCC from what I understand is more XP but takes alot more time and costs more hyper.

would cost me less hyper, but you obviously have to wade through all the mobs to hyper on 5 bosses which is the pain in the **** part.
    BladedZero - Sanctuary

• Bladecutter - Sanctuary
    Bladecutter - Sanctuary Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ive been thinking about this. tbh, frost is still more effective. but a good alternative for ppl who dont have the time.

in frost, at my lvl i get about 10-12% (depending of the squad lvls) a run and use 5 mins of hyper xp maximum

more coin effective? yes.

may i suggest you to grind OVS for long time if you want money, ive gotten more than 400k grinding there with a barb (faster pulls) (less than 30 mins)
  • Nukesrus - Harshlands
    edited June 2010
    Options
    After some testing, I find that on average I can get 2mil from FC while using only 4 activations and less than 5 mins of hyper time. I'm averaging 3-4 mins per run.

The time investment is a bit longer, but it also is much more accessible.
  • Lylfo - Dreamweaver
    Lylfo - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    The best part about this method is that you can do it solo(but only 1 person can do it at a tme, so someone else might hog the place). You can choose to grind whenever you want. FCC is not that time efficient, sometimes you get people who afk and others, you are stuck with 5/6 members because you cannot find a tank.

So I would say that this is more cost and time effective compared to FCC.
    Thanks Chillum for the nice Sig.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Partypooper - Harshlands
    Partypooper - Harshlands Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Getting access to 3rd map isn't easy not to mention that if this thing catches on 3rd map would become what butterflies/fish parties were (not that its a bad thing) b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=763662
    Vote for Onions!
  • DrkLordZ - Sanctuary
    DrkLordZ - Sanctuary Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Astrelle, what do we do with the rest of hyper time?
    Please donate money into my mailbox :)

I'm poor as heck.