Getting discouraged with this class..

Reshanta - Sanctuary
Reshanta - Sanctuary Posts: 350 Arc User
edited June 2010 in Psychic
So what path is really viable..

Because yesterday I heard something from a faction member that was very discouraging and makes me wanna try another class.

She basically said White Voodoo > Black Vodoo. And while she didn't say it directly, indirectly she's saying psy is glorified paladin.

She claims she can still 2 shot monsters while in white voodoo and she is pure mag, which I called bull**** on.. because even in black voodoo, it takes ME, 3-4 shots to kill a mob.. and I'm lvl36. her psy is 77. I have up to date equip and that weapon from weapon II..so I'm as strong as I could possibly be barring refining and such. 169 mag(dont know what it is without the bonuses). I quite honestly do not see any return of those 1-2 shot days that I loved so much when I was lvl1-10.

I'm pure mag as well, and I do NOT like white voodoo because it gimps my damage for a **** gain in defense(woo whoo 123dmg → 80dmg..) and the battles will just take longer and longer.. There is still heavy emphasis on not getting hit.

If I'm fated to use white voodoo "forever", then forget that. Whats the point in having all that magic attack, when it's gimped all the time -.-?

and I'm aware that it's smart to use in bh's and TT's. I've read a lot about that.

Just think, with black voodoo, dealing between 1500 to 1700 amd then doing 980 - 1100 in white voodoo ~_~ and my white voodoo is only lvl2, so I can imagine how much I'd suck in damage at higher levels.

I guess this is more of a rant than asking for help/suggestions. I never liked riding on skills that gimp a classes signature strengths.
Lonely man with a big heart.
Post edited by Reshanta - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Kyourimaru - Lost City
    Kyourimaru - Lost City Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    I use white voodoo when:
    - i accidently took aggro
    -im tanking something that i probably shouldnt be (like luminoc boss or somethin xD)
    -theres a sneaky sin around
    -boredom while poking people
    -my squad wiped and im still alive and holding the boss so it doesnt reset
    -Depending on the mob, maybe against a really tough mag def mob.

Never used it while killing normal mobs, how dumb would that be xD so dont worry, mob killing youll be using black or neither.
  • Alphae - Lost City
    Alphae - Lost City Posts: 1,512 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    I found on my psy (completely pure, L43 lowbie, but meh) that I also only turn on white voodoo if I'm dying, accidently pulled a mag resist mob, being ganked at angler's/sumor and trying to not die, etc. I never even pull mag resist mobs if I can help it, I usually just go to the other map point w/ the same mobs and grind a while, someone usually comes along and kills them. =P

Also one of the keys is to make sure your skills are up to date--at low levels I feel this is even more important than an up-to-date weapon, because I recent just updated grinding nukes to level 9, and the damage jump I got, especially on spirit blast, was pretty damn incredible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Astrohawke - Lost City
    Astrohawke - Lost City Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    I'm sure she 2 shots frail blobs with white voodoo on though. ijs.
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited June 2010

She claims she can still 2 shot monsters while in white voodoo and she is pure mag, which I called bull**** on.. because even in black voodoo, it takes ME, 3-4 shots to kill a mob.. and I'm lvl36. her psy is 77.

Yeah that's bull$hit.

A level 85 mob has about 28k.

I do 9-11k a shot with Black voodoo and 3-4k a shot with White voodoo.
    If something were to deal about 15k in White voodoo (so you can two-shot mobs with it), that'd mean it'd deal about 40k in black voodoo. This would also mean your friend is a flippin' moron, and for some reason she'd rather two-shot mobs her level instead of put on Black voodoo and one-shot mobs up to 95.

If you want my opinion...

Black Voodoo = PvE

White Voodoo = PvP
    I <3 AGOREY
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Simple answer, GET BOTH VOODOOS.
    unless you wana go perma black voodoo and become an easy kill for me.
    b:chuckle
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Reshanta - Sanctuary
    Reshanta - Sanctuary Posts: 350 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Correction, her psy is 65.

Thanks for the comments. I think I am right that she's just trying to discourage me, I have other issues with her that are related to discouragement :/.

I intend to use white voodoo when its necessary in things like bh or TT, should I ever decide to do those, but for regular grinding, no thanks.
    Lonely man with a big heart.
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Correction, her psy is 65.

Thanks for the comments. I think I am right that she's just trying to discourage me, I have other issues with her that are related to discouragement :/.

I intend to use white voodoo when its necessary in things like bh or TT, should I ever decide to do those, but for regular grinding, no thanks.

Only time you should ever find yourself needing White voodoo for PvE is:

1) To contain damage to prevent yourself from pulling aggro.

2) To solo some mini-bosses. Sometimes a mini-boss is easier to defeat with White voodoo than it is with black.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    2-shot in white voodoo? well, if she has lvl1 white + blessings and maybe some soulburn/DOT combo it's not hard to believe
    however she could 1shot them in black

Kyourimaru states the most reason you would want to use white voodoo

about the aggro control in dungeons, i prefer to space my attacks (if neccessary)
    why should i waste mana just to constantly press buttons xD

btw it's fun to put white voodoo on and dot the mobs while they cant hurt you xD
    but it costs mana
  • Flaunt - Dreamweaver
    Flaunt - Dreamweaver Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Don't listen to her in the slightest. If she can two hit in White Voodoo, it practically means she can overkill every mob her level in Black Voodoo. Psychics are based around killing something before they kill you. In the lower levels especially, you should be able to kill 90% of mobs before they get an hit on you. So by going White Voodoo, you're slowing your own potential killing speed down, for a 1/10 hit.