When is cute behavior childish?

Comments

• XBloodKingx - Heavens Tear
    XBloodKingx - Heavens Tear Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    An interesting thread.

Well, I would say that you are free to do it as long as long as it's not irritating and that you do not flood the chatbox or begin to act cute in a serious context (like tanking a boss).

Personally, I do not like when people use inappropriate emotes in world chat, it makes me blacklist them. An example? Okay:

'WTS __________, plz plz, thanks! b:kiss b:sad'
    What are you supposed to interpret it here? You are sad because it does not sell, or you want to entice people to buy your stuff? It really makes me not want to buy it.

I am not fond of in-game love either, you know, the very naive and childish talk, that is shown to all.

As for the rest, talking randomly is fine as long as it has some good sense of humor and at little doses.
    We all need to get rid of pressure by acting odd sometimes.

So no worries.

Oh and...
    *Gives some tranquilizers to the angry tideborn there.*

P.S.: If a girl (a real one, mind me) wanted to flirt with yours truly in a super childish tone to sound cute and this all the time, I'd run for the hills and never return.
    b:laugh

lol i agree

~King
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]you have just meet death

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

credit to ForsakenX for the sig
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    Telarith - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    I'm called a troll for acting the way I act and I'm sick of it! b:cry People should just let other people be! b:sad

Well this argument negates itself. You're saying people should be able to act how they are, while telling others not to.

If you want to act relatively immatue, find an immature faction. But many seek factions of 18+ only to avoid kid-ish behavior. Trying to think you should be able to act any way you please when there are up to 199 other people who have to put up with it is pretty selfish. Just put up with like they put up with you, and chances are they will BL you and solve the problem on both sides.
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

Get a High lvl Fist warrior use it, Restat to axes. GG - complexx

:NOTE: These signatures are to forever immortalize, how stupid people can be.
  • RawDawg - Heavens Tear
    RawDawg - Heavens Tear Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    The thing that I find annoying in this game is when people are putting on a display purely for others, and not doing it sincerely because that is what is on their mind. You all know who I mean, the people who send a World Chat out to talk to a person, and then they carry on a conversation there. Not only is that annoying but it is literally stupid, since you are spending money to do something that is more efficiently done for free (in pm).
  • Euphy - Dreamweaver
    Euphy - Dreamweaver Posts: 495 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Lispa I think what you do is totally acceptable. I mean tchia, I use tons of smilies and I actually use the emotes whenever they make sense - cause its fun! In a previous game I played they didn't have yellow faces, tigers, pigs, and monkeys... so we made our own and I'm used to using them. I basically type them unconsciously.
    ^-^ | :o | :O | :D | :P
    And I think some people don't even understand some of the more complex ones...
    (^' ')> (>' ')> <(' ' )><(' '<) <(' '^) <-- Lv. up victory dance.

<( ' ')o[-]*[-]o(' ' )> <-- A super awesome toast.

>^ - ^<

";..;" <-- Evil Demon Clerics -rawr-

<(O{oo}O)> <-- This pig doesn't cost $0,50 ^-^

There's tons and they're fun... if someone complains about them just us this one:

o( ' ')==O)x_x) and suckapunch that fool. No one ever really complained to me though.

I think people should feel free to express themselves however they please. You were given black lists for a reason. Some people use smilies; some people use horrendous grammar. I don't complain about other players using "urs" and "n1 buff pls".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sleepcat
    sleepcat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    The cookies, pie, cake thing gets really old. Stuff like "Join our faction, we have cookies" phrases like that aren't just overused, but not really witty in the first place. Although it might be because I don't really understand the meme.

I don't mind the smilies as much though. I don't really consider it cute behavior, because half of the time, I use smilies myself in a sarcastic manner or to avoid sounding hostile.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Meh, doesn't bug me. Its takes a lot for someone to annoy me. I have high tolerance I guess....

Yea, I use emotes......alot...

:P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • Esnemyl - Dreamweaver
    Esnemyl - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,079 Arc User
    edited June 2010

Yea, I use emotes......alot...

:P

^This
    same here dude, i like my provoke, its all Kiss My ****!
    probably my fave has to be the bm dance, and my archer shyness b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<3 by Silvy
    Reborn ditzy archer with a serious oreo addiction =3

'...cuz my IQ is just above what is required to function as a human' - tsumaru2
  • Sikozu - Heavens Tear
    Sikozu - Heavens Tear Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Personally I see it as attention grabbing. Most of the time people who act like that usually just want attention. It does not bother me in the least if they do it tho, cuz there is an ignore button and I am in no way in any position to dictate how other people should act.
  • Elviron - Dreamweaver
    Elviron - Dreamweaver Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    If someone cannot tolerate another person just because theyre acting cutesy or whatever, the fault is more on the person getting irritated/bugged. I could care less of how you talk/act/or even pretend to be someone youre not but whats important to me is that when youre in my squad/or a squad am in, you do your job properly.

One cannot control other people's actions but can only control their own reactions.

After all, in the end, this is a game you play for your own enjoyment and not for your factionmates, ingame friends, ingame spouse, RL friends, RL boyfriend/girlfriend/wife, etc.
  • Malei - Sanctuary
    Malei - Sanctuary Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    If someone cannot tolerate another person just because theyre acting cutesy or whatever, the fault is more on the person getting irritated/bugged. I could care less of how you talk/act/or even pretend to be someone youre not but whats important to me is that when youre in my squad/or a squad am in, you do your job properly.

One cannot control other people's actions but can only control their own reactions.

After all, in the end, this is a game you play for your own enjoyment and not for your factionmates, ingame friends, ingame spouse, RL friends, RL boyfriend/girlfriend/wife, etc.

I agree with you. When you're in your squad, know what you're doing, and we won't have any problems.

However, I've seen this "act" been taken to the point of absolute no return before. This "act" turns from innocent childplay into a social takeover of whatever guild/server they are in, and eventually, its demise:

The "cute" one gathers a group of followers, or "fwiends", they hang out all of the time in Vent, the Squad, whatever. Soon, she gains a bit of influence and power over this particular group. The "cute" one begins to spread her "act" onto the other guild members. Those who find it charming respond to it, and those who find it annoying either go quiet[when they are usually not, mind you], or voice their opinion.

Then they are savagely attacked by those underneath the "cute" one's influence, they're called all sorts of names, and pushed and pulled into they are forced into their own isolation, to a place where silence welcomes peace or you simply must abandon ship. More people seem to think that it will be better for all those involved if they go along with the "cute" one's game, gaining her more power to keep the sanity of the guild from falling apart.

There are those who try to rebel against the "cute" one's influence, however. Those are even more pressured, even more bullied by the expontionally growing number of the "cute" one's followers, before they themselves give up hope. From what I've seen? They stay in the quiet corners. They don't leave the guild, not yet. They figure they can simply ignore her and continue on their activities with their friends. Until that day comes. The "cute" one takes it a bit too far, and begins to step on the toes of those it knows that doesn't appreciate her methods. It pushes itself onto them, instead of the followers, and it brings unwanted attention to them. It has now pushed the spotlight onto that single poor soul as the only one in the guild that doesn't like her, and he or she cannot explain why, because it would **** everyone else off and push that person deeper into isolation until they have no choice but to leave.

Thus, this continues until either the "cute" one meets its match, or the guild is slowly destroyed with its decent players flying out of the ship with desperation.

I've seen it happen. Several times.

tl;dl: The "cute" one is usually the most drama starting hag in guilds, and I'm not saying cute as in that's naturally how you are, I mean cute as in you are all one big gigantic fake **** act. That is what people don't like.
  • Yanami - Heavens Tear
    Yanami - Heavens Tear Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Too lazy to read previous pages/walls-of-text;

I don't really mind how a person behaves or whatever if they're being/trying to be cutesy or whatever to an extent. I am guilty of spamming <33333333 and *glomps* and other stuff like that, but as quoted in previous post, all that really mostly matters to me is how someone executes their actions and role in a squad.

Now...the one thing that DOES really irritate me to the bones is when people go chat around saying stuff like "I like pie :DDD XDXD" or whatever about pie thinking it's completely adorable and hilarious. =|
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SerenityMare - Dreamweaver
    SerenityMare - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,211 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    I think using emotes and smilies are fine as long as you do not abuse the usage of it in inapproptiate times.

Sometimes I see people take this game too seriously so when I reply to them I use emotes/smilies to create a 'chill' mood for the squad/faction situation. I feel that the smilies just add the feeling of how the person you are talking to will receive the message.

I personally love using emotes/smilies but NOT all the time and not spamming it (i.e using them 5 times in one sentence)

Sometimes you can just have fun with your squad mates or faction mates and use them a lot because it's an appropriate time where it's not likely to bother anyone. Me and my faction sometimes spam random things in faction char using caps lock which is fine when it's fun time. ^^

Anyways like other people said, live as you want to, it's a game in the end. Being an awesome PKer or a very gooood player that knows how to play won't matter if you're not having fun in a game, imo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GohanX - Raging Tide
    GohanX - Raging Tide Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    If people are bothered by you just being you that's their problem. If people changed just because other people didn't like them... I can't even think of a scenario of how bad a shape our world would be in right now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    And something cute to lighten the mood up a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOhhSDxR8x0&feature=related

Oh, and it seems I made quite a number of typos in my previous post. As long as you understood what I meant in the end, I am happy.
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~
  • Charly - Heavens Tear
    Charly - Heavens Tear Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    o:

I use emoticons a lot when chatting with friends and such. Don't use them much on the forums.

I didn't think people considered them "childish" or "cute." It's hard for me to explain how I use them. I guess they're like enhancers to me or something. I feel they help get my mood across to people. The better my mood is, the more I use them. When I don't use them at all, it's because I'm being serious (or I'm in a really bad mood). I don't spam emoticons though, like "HI. :DDDDDDDD XD" It would be more like "Hi! ^^"

As for the asterisk things(i.e. *glomps*, *sleeps*, whatever) I use those, but I use dashes instead (-glomps-). I dunno, it's cleaner to me. ANYWAY. I like when people do those. Makes the conversation more entertaining and "interactive" I suppose. To a degree, anyway.

My point is, I use them, but I don't spam them. People who uber spam them all the time need a good smack or two on the head.
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    This may not be the best example as it does not pertain to humans.

I believe some people find birds chirping pretty cute and nice. Especially when you're at a park or something. You walk through a provincial park or forest and see birds. These are ok.

However it aint cute when they chirp. In front of your house. non stop for 2 hours. At 4am. daily. Get the hell out you damn birds. I want to sleep.

Now on topic. There are also those that do not wish to act cute. Rather with the purpose to annoy or troll.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    I believe some people find birds chirping pretty cute and nice. Especially when you're at a park or something. You walk through a provincial park or forest and see birds. These are ok.

However it aint cute when they chirp. In front of your house. non stop for 2 hours. At 4am. daily. Get the hell out you damn birds. I want to sleep.

Always nice to hear your opinion, Harvey Birdman.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • Coraline - Lost City
    Coraline - Lost City Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    I don't really care for it. It doesn't bother me, unless they are too busy typing out and causes a party wipe or it floods the chat. One thing does confuse me though, like their's so many faces I have no clue what they are or what they stand for or when to use them. Like these : :c :< ;< (those look like bird beaks to me), :3. Idk..The most I ever use is ^_^, :D or sometimes if guild chat is being overrun with smiles then I do (>^_^)> but yeah.. I mean if it gets out of hand I'll be annoyed. All about limits.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

eatswithspoons "*roll eyes* real money for virtual property? That's definitely not allowed"

Lol what?
  • Sikozu - Heavens Tear
    Sikozu - Heavens Tear Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    I don't really care for it. It doesn't bother me, unless they are too busy typing out and causes a party wipe or it floods the chat. One thing does confuse me though, like their's so many faces I have no clue what they are or what they stand for or when to use them. Like these : :c :< ;< (those look like bird beaks to me), :3. Idk..The most I ever use is ^_^, :D or sometimes if guild chat is being overrun with smiles then I do (>^_^)> but yeah.. I mean if it gets out of hand I'll be annoyed. All about limits.
    Most of them are anime references so unless you watch a lot of anime chances are you are not going to get most of them.

:<
    stands for a crying face with a quivering mouth

:c
    is also a sad face with a frown on it

:3
    Is like a cat face (cutsey) usually a sign of happiness.
  • Azzazin - Dreamweaver
    Azzazin - Dreamweaver Posts: 502 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Mmm...

I think my opinion aligns most closely with LongKnife's. Really nothing more to add there, if you skipped his post, go read it, near the front... rather like how he put it. And totally with ya on the smart-****/sarcastic thing...

On that note, I do use some... emoticons, I suppose. Not the smileys, but the text ones... can you guess which is my favorite? Read above >.>;

Anyways... :)

More annoying than spamming smileys, in my humble opinion, is those who think the game is free place to talk about sex all the time. I don't just mean, a sexy comment now & then, or just playing it cute 'n sassy once in a while. I mean those people (I'm sure you've met such an individual) whose every comment has some sexual connotation attached to it. Especially when you can tell the person in question is not even 18 yet... >.>; Usually such person gets the blacklist on the double, but on an alt, I ran into trouble recently, where I made a comment about a person who exhibited above behavior, saying it was nice they had left the faction, and got nailed by a bunch of people who apparently liked the person. Oh, the kerfuffle that caused.

Anyways :o

Ah, somewhat off track, but yeah, overuse of smileys to try & act 'cute'? Not appreciated here. Having fun/goofing off now & then, using smileys? Heck, why not ^^ I do it now & then too. Just... moderation please?

Toodles.

-Azzazin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Setting of the twilight moon; a late evening rendezvous from atop the
    city's lonely heights. With the dawn the city below springs into bustling
    activity, and I don my morning apparel. From on high, I watch the world.
  • azurluen
    azurluen Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    I like cute girls. Or cute people in general.

Why to be so serious or sad all the time? It's a game. If you decide to have certain role or style, it's fine. Just be. For example, I'm too much more serious on real life than on the game. And it's not like being hypocrite. Just that responsability on real life it's more, uh, big. [ah, don't know how exactly to say what I think on english... >_<]

Maybe it has to be with something about anime or comic books / manga [which I like], I see the game like if I'm one character of those. It's kinda cool.

Also, I don't have any problems about the use of smilies. Some of the ones I use are >_> or >_<. Or the "wth bunny face" =o_O=

And it's almost imposible to annoy me, so...
    [insert sig here]
  • G_ree_n - Sanctuary
    G_ree_n - Sanctuary Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    I haven't posted on these forums for a long time, but I couldn't resist this topic.

"When is cutesy behavior childish?"

Anytime it is a deliberate attempt to provoke people and causes a disruption in a faction ... or on a server. Anyone who was on Sanctuary server about a year or so ago will probably remember a person who could have paid a college tuition with what she spent on telecoustics. Her behavior ranged from cutesy to outright threatening and she ended up getting nearly everyone who talked in wc to take sides "for" her or "against" her, which is no doubt what she wanted in the first place.

Kids being playful and cute is one thing. If you're not deliberately trying to annoy or provoke people, that's fine. If you're annoying anyway, you'll end up on my blacklist. But since you aren't being an attention seeker, I won't have to read the equally annoying comments from everyone talking to you.

45 year old housewives who watch Naruto and are so lonely in real life that they have to act like cutesy teenagers to get attention on the internet to avoid feelings of emptiness need to uninstall their game clients and learn how to form meaningful relationships.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Roll a barb on Sanctuary for hot cleric action. b:kiss
  • Archers_Soul - Lost City
    Archers_Soul - Lost City Posts: 746 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    When people use this face too much ( :3 ) when you say stoofs in replace of stuff, when you act like your ingame pet is the apex of the mountain of cuteness, **** its an ingame pet. Baby talk... Sending sad smilies when you get pked, its funny at first but after a while its like omg... When you say you can beat me up irl, that's cute when people say that. Cybering... In normal chat... Barbs going in tiger form and spamming meow. Tideborns being happy that they are more epic than me (that's cute because tideborns are adorable)
    I don't care how old or young you are, how small your **** is, how much of a nerd irl you are or how depressed you are that you never will get laid. There is no reason to act like an A-hole to everyone on an mmorpg. Its a shame that I have to take time out of my day to tell people "stop being an A-hole". So I end with this, if your acting like an A-hole, and some one tells you your being an A-hole chances are your being an A-hole.
  • Archers_Soul - Lost City
    Archers_Soul - Lost City Posts: 746 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Mmm...

I think my opinion aligns most closely with LongKnife's. Really nothing more to add there, if you skipped his post, go read it, near the front... rather like how he put it. And totally with ya on the smart-****/sarcastic thing...

On that note, I do use some... emoticons, I suppose. Not the smileys, but the text ones... can you guess which is my favorite? Read above >.>;

Anyways... :)

More annoying than spamming smileys, in my humble opinion, is those who think the game is free place to talk about sex all the time. I don't just mean, a sexy comment now & then, or just playing it cute 'n sassy once in a while. I mean those people (I'm sure you've met such an individual) whose every comment has some sexual connotation attached to it. Especially when you can tell the person in question is not even 18 yet... >.>; Usually such person gets the blacklist on the double, but on an alt, I ran into trouble recently, where I made a comment about a person who exhibited above behavior, saying it was nice they had left the faction, and got nailed by a bunch of people who apparently liked the person. Oh, the kerfuffle that caused.

Anyways :o

Ah, somewhat off track, but yeah, overuse of smileys to try & act 'cute'? Not appreciated here. Having fun/goofing off now & then, using smileys? Heck, why not ^^ I do it now & then too. Just... moderation please?

Toodles.

-Azzazin
    try being in a faction with some dude who logs on just to say how hard he pounded some chick last night lol.
    At some point its like "hmm yes... I wish I dated your hand to, looks like she puts out a lot."
    I don't care how old or young you are, how small your **** is, how much of a nerd irl you are or how depressed you are that you never will get laid. There is no reason to act like an A-hole to everyone on an mmorpg. Its a shame that I have to take time out of my day to tell people "stop being an A-hole". So I end with this, if your acting like an A-hole, and some one tells you your being an A-hole chances are your being an A-hole.
  • Hakiii - Heavens Tear
    Hakiii - Heavens Tear Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    The last time I saw someone acting like that and 'role playing' I was about thirteen and had the misfortune of walking past the school anime club.

It's good if your RPing, you know with people...that know your supposed to be doing that.

But otherwise yeah, I'd probably assume you're a younger kid who watches every naruto episode and says kawaiidesu around the internet. If you want the general impression.

Of course it's not always the case...and emotes can be used in the right times, or when joking...b:chuckle

But it is obnoxious eventually.

EDIT:
    Actually what Azzazin said is true: "Ah, somewhat off track, but yeah, overuse of smileys to try & act 'cute'? Not appreciated here. Having fun/goofing off now & then, using smileys? Heck, why not ^^ I do it now & then too. Just... moderation please?"
  • Scathatch - Harshlands
    Scathatch - Harshlands Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    45 year old housewives who watch Naruto and are so lonely in real life that they have to act like cutesy teenagers to get attention on the internet to avoid feelings of emptiness need to uninstall their game clients and learn how to form meaningful relationships.

haha im sorry that made me laugh xP and yeah I use smiley's, so what? I don't use them 2 excessiveness or spam squad chat with XDDDDDDD I SAW U B4 XDDDDDDDDD while we are on final boss of bh, but I know a lot of people that do, and it pisses me off. When I played on Dreamweaver I knew a lot of people that would spam fac chat for hours w/ cutsey stuff, and if anyone told them just how annoying they were, that person would get destroyed by the members of the fac that idolized the spammer. b:shocked annoying! Also, if any attention left the spammer for more than say, 5 seconds they would start 2 b:cry or </3333333 or sob over vent for the nxt 6 hrs. Just jump ship, leave guild and blacklist them, or ignore them.....but to answer the OP, yeah it gets annoying...real fast D:<

ps. What's with all the mentions of Naruto whenever something annoying is involved?
  • Hakiii - Heavens Tear
    Hakiii - Heavens Tear Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited June 2010

ps. What's with all the mentions of Naruto whenever something annoying is involved?

You've seen the majority of anime fanbases...especially Naruto right?...
  • Partypooper - Harshlands
    Partypooper - Harshlands Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    naruto_-_uzumaki_naruto.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=763662
    Vote for Onions!
  • Nakhimov - Lost City
    Nakhimov - Lost City Posts: 1,829 Arc User
    edited June 2010

these people?

P.S. GIRUGAMESH
    Bladestorm lets you spin around like a carnival ride and do damage. Not using it is almost like having a move called Confetti Rocket Power Leap and saving it for "emergencies"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nakhimov the Kingslayer of Kil'Jaeden's <Criminal Scum>
    wowprogress.com/guild/us/kil-jaeden/Criminal+Scum
  • G_ree_n - Sanctuary
    G_ree_n - Sanctuary Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    naruto_-_uzumaki_naruto.jpg
    OMFG This made me laugh so hard I pulled a muscle.

I mentioned Naruto because even my 16 year old daughter has been nerd raging over Naruto fangirls for nearly 2 years now. She considers them "more annoying then Twilight fans." My daughter is a calm, rational girl, so anything that pisses her off that much has got to be bad. xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Roll a barb on Sanctuary for hot cleric action. b:kiss