Game cards.Same card 1 taxed at 1 place and 1 not taxed at another ??

SirFartsAlot - Dreamweaver
SirFartsAlot - Dreamweaver Posts: 1 Arc User
edited June 2010 in General Discussion
Why are some Game cards being taxed at 1 place,And not at another??..There is a tax on PWI Gamecards at GameStop,and not a tax on it at Target..I'm just wondering why ??..Of course I'd rather have the no tax..This game is expensive enough....
Post edited by SirFartsAlot - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Linwiz - Lost City
    Linwiz - Lost City Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Depends on where you buy it
  • Toxic - Dreamweaver
    Toxic - Dreamweaver Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Why are some Game cards being taxed at 1 place,And not at another??..There is a tax on PWI Gamecards at GameStop,and not a tax on it at Target..I'm just wondering why ??..Of course I'd rather have the no tax..This game is expensive enough....

I just found this out last night, which is weird cause I've never been taxed at Gamestop for them before, although it's been a few months since I bought one there.
    <3 Tapout <3
  • Tatuaje - Lost City
    Tatuaje - Lost City Posts: 2,780 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    It is the same with phone cards at certain places of business.

I have bought a long distance card where it came to 10$ flat and another where they charged me 10$ plus taxes for the exact same card.
    tatuaje: grinding mobs and zhenning ???
    frankieraye:All right, I admit it, it's a bit retro. lol.
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    I do believe that game/gift cards of any sort should not be charged when purchasing the card itself. The tax is paid when you actually use the gift/game card.

This, of course, is from my knowledge of the law in Ontario, Canada. Im not aware of the practices and law in the states.

I found this on a Canadian Government site:
    Retailers must not charge consumers provincial Retail Sales Tax (RST) and/or federal Goods and Services Tax (GST) when buying gift cards.

The Ministry of Consumer Services advises consumers to check their gift card receipts to ensure they are not charged sales taxes when buying gift cards.

Sales taxes should only be applied on goods or services when purchased using the gift card as the payment option.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Tatuaje - Lost City
    Tatuaje - Lost City Posts: 2,780 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    ONTARIO CANADA FTW b:victory
    tatuaje: grinding mobs and zhenning ???
    frankieraye:All right, I admit it, it's a bit retro. lol.
  • Aneurysmal - Heavens Tear
    Aneurysmal - Heavens Tear Posts: 798 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Gamestop shouldn't be taxing the product as it's simply a transfer of currency to a new source, not a purchase of a taxable product. The only way they could legally tax the cards (assuming you're in the US) is if they activated the cards before selling them, in which case it would be a currency conversion rather than currency transfer. That however is completely pointless, as then the cards could actually be stolen and the 2-11% sales tax (depending on your location in the US) that they're effectively stealing from their customers would more than likely not cover the quantity of stolen merchandise 1/50-1/9.

I'd suggest openly "borrowing" a card still on the shelf, trying it at home, and if it works, go back, pay for it, apologize for the accidental theft of valued merchandise and go back to buying from target. If it doesn't work, go back, tell them to give you all the excess they charged on a currency transfer and if you've spent enough on these games, use their refund of overcharged items to buy more game cards and enjoy your extra gold that you weren't expecting to receive.
    Main:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Alts:
    Lypiphera 101 Cleric
    Incompetance 100 Blademaster
    MetalPenguin 101 Seeker

b:dirtySolara_Craft/Disarmonia_Xb:dirty
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited June 2010

I'd suggest openly "borrowing" a card still on the shelf, trying it at home, and if it works, go back, pay for it, apologize for the accidental theft of valued merchandise and go back to buying from target.

Lol wut? srs?
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Xx_Kaoru_xX - Raging Tide
    Xx_Kaoru_xX - Raging Tide Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    I smell a lawsuit b:shocked

seriously though kinda on topic... i hate when stores go around the tax laws.... had one mini mart near my house that would always charge tax on candy. (I have sweet issues) >___> b:sad
    -Insert Cool Signature with my character's screenshot here-