Sage barb = dead end?

Options
DangerField - Dreamweaver
DangerField - Dreamweaver Posts: 114 Arc User
edited August 2010 in Barbarian
I have always liked being sage and everything that comes with it.

However after recently returning from a 4 month vacation I see more and more barbs going demon and fist.
I understand why since it seems for most things we are obsolete compared to -interval geared chars.

Can anyone think of a reason to be sage other than being a good cat barb in TW?

Edit: Im lvl 100
Post edited by DangerField - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• XxIfritxX - Lost City
    XxIfritxX - Lost City Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    mmmmm....how about more p.def more HP..better tankers O.o

SAGE barb FTW
    All my Goals in Life Turned to be Offside b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Azazel - Dreamweaver
    Azazel - Dreamweaver Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    DEMON barb FTW

better agro keepin, deal full damage in tiger form ;o
  • Myriad_ - Lost City
    Myriad_ - Lost City Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Yeah sage for cata pulling and ninja armaggedons. If not, then convert to demon to become a 5aps wannabe, or not...
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Sage because we're heavenly?

Seriously I chose sage for the simple fact that it suits my gameplay better. I'm really good at getting hit...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • XxIfritxX - Lost City
    XxIfritxX - Lost City Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    DEMON barb FTW

LoLz...AXE and hammer mastry for sage ijs :P

oh btw ...every1 can steal aggro these days from a barb ^^
    All my Goals in Life Turned to be Offside b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KibblesnBitz - Sanctuary
    KibblesnBitz - Sanctuary Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options

Axe & Hammer + Sage Titan ftw. Extra 60% damage. But yeah, that doesn't compare to some archers and wizards these days...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Enelysion Executor
    Proud She-Barb
    b:cute
  • Rubix - Harshlands
    Rubix - Harshlands Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I have nothing to say.
  • Bartack - Heavens Tear
    Bartack - Heavens Tear Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    your dps will actually be higher with demon axe/hammer and demon titans than the sage version, at least as long as the 5% crit bonus remains. if you dont believe me do the math, the added crit rate more than makes up for a little less weapon damage bonus, especially if its paired up with zerk axes and you get more crit-zerks. Also, I left poison fang out of the dps calculations, and it only helps to tilt the dps scales towards demon.

example: using the above posters build and equip on the pw calc (without poison fang damage added)

sage would average 13817.5 damage per non crit hit, 16442.825 dps with crit averaged in

demon would average 13173 damage per non crit hit, 16597.98 dps crit averaged in

not a big diff either way, but dps is not the sages strength, its in his utilization of his skills and unmatched survivability.
  • Cirax - Dreamweaver
    Cirax - Dreamweaver Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    It's true that endgame barbs, whether sage/demon, can dish some really good damage. But with all the event gear and -interval craze, the dps on damage dealers is just insane. I see so many fist barbs now because it gives them the ability to kill a lot more effectively. Also, seeing archers and clerics with 12k hp unbuffed just makes our class that much less needed.

Other than cata pulling or a few instances (or people asking you for buffs), I don't see much potential for sage barbs unless you go with the -interval craze as well.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.

~Albert Einstien
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    It's true that endgame barbs, whether sage/demon, can dish some really good damage. But with all the event gear and -interval craze, the dps on damage dealers is just insane. I see so many fist barbs now because it gives them the ability to kill a lot more effectively. Also, seeing archers and clerics with 12k hp unbuffed just makes our class that much less needed.

Other than cata pulling or a few instances (or people asking you for buffs), I don't see much potential for sage barbs unless you go with the -interval craze as well.

Yea, as a Sage Barb, I've been going DD-base then tanking. Usually I'm not tanking these days.

I would consider Demon, but well....I don't want my hard-earn Sage skills to go to waste.

I'll find a way to make use of a Sage Barb.

As for the -interval thing, I probably will gear up on that, but with rumors of -interval being capped and claws being limited. It would be a waste at the end.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • Cybetron - Harshlands
    Cybetron - Harshlands Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    The sage barbs are definitely needed/preferred for TWs (catapulling) but when it comes to dealing damage Demon Barbs out-damage Sage barbs. Ofcourse, the Axe and Hammer Mastery and str of titans are great passive and active buffs that give a reliable base damage to the Sages, but just one skill from the Demon barb would tip off the balance - Beastial Onslaught.

Since HP is easy to get nowadays with all the vit stones and refinements, dealing damage (to secure aggro) is what is needed in instances and not to mention PvP. The extra crits from Demon buffs and Onslaught easily make them better damage dealers. Infact, as someone pointed out in another thread, fist BMs are proving to be better tanks than barbs since they can hold aggro with constant demon sparking and the other DDs need not hold back, thus slaying the bosses faster. This gives all the more reason for a barb to go fists and get a 5 aps speed.

A simple combo of Demon Onslaught (35% crit) + attacks with fists (3.33 aps) > dps than Fist BMs. So yeah, these are the reasons for so many going demon with fists/claws.

Not sure about the rumors of Fists/Claws limited to BMs.
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    Traz - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I think this game has gone to total **** end game. Archers are winged BMs, Barbs are Fuzzy BMs, and BMs are laughing at everyone else because they have to become them to stay "in the game" :)
    BladedZero - Sanctuary
    "Also I don't think actually playing through the game helps your skill either."

-And we wonder why this game has gone to hell b:cute
  • Cybetron - Harshlands
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Don't forget, the assassins - Stealth BMs b:chuckle I guess we've to wait for cute little foxy BMs too, wonder when the venos get into the act.. b:laugh
  • BigFIuffy - Archosaur
    BigFIuffy - Archosaur Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i saw a heavy armor veno buying lunar claws on my server b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    DEMON barb FTW

Barbs supposed to be keeping aggro regardless... b:sweat

Then the barbs must of not been playing right, only way for barbs to lose aggro from someone is when the barb way lower leveled than the DD. Or when it comes to rewrite from another barb's aggro skill or pet's aggro skill.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • DaCage - Sanctuary
    DaCage - Sanctuary Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Barbs supposed to be keeping aggro regardless... b:sweat

Then the barbs must of not been playing right, only way for barbs to lose aggro from someone is when the barb way lower leveled than the DD. Or when it comes to rewrite from another barb's aggro skill or pet's aggro skill.

Go away. Please. Just go away.
  • OMarvelous - Sanctuary
    OMarvelous - Sanctuary Posts: 339 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I always wondered why people gave Yulk so much ****...but it's becoming clear to me that he really does spew alot of nonsense. :/

Come on man. Come on.
  • DangerField - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2010
    Options
    TY for answers and I guess I already knew the the outcome.

All those who are discussing sage/demon skills its really besides the point as that discussion has been done so many times in the past.

Atleast we will be a rare commodity and who knows; maybe they will come up with something new to nerf the demons...
  • Bartack - Heavens Tear
    Bartack - Heavens Tear Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    But why nerf demons? It doesn't help sages to have another route nerfed, and it certainly doesn't help the big #1 problem facing ALL barbs at the moment.

Our main aggro skill tops out for us by lvl54. This means your best aggro holding days are from lvl 54 into your mid 70's(where the rest of your aggro skills top out) and then its downhill from there. By the time you hit lvl 89 you are starting to get desperate for that demon/sage flesh ream.

And that USED to be enough, with lvl 11 flesh ream and lvl 10 support aggro skills you could hold aggro pretty well without too much of a fight. Now, however, everything from uber-high damage dealing weapons, crazy attack speed dps, and a cheep supply of sage/demon dd skills can really overshadow our long outdated skill based aggro.

And while our DPH and spike isn't horrible, our DPS just cant keep up to help augment skill aggro with damage. I'm talking sage AND demon here, as the slight difference between the 2 is too thin to warrant a big enough difference in damage aggro to really matter.

So endgame pve we have excessive hp for MOST bosses, underwhelming aggro retention, lesser DD support...at least we have good buffs. No wonder more and more barbs are going demon now to try to even the weak spots out, but its still no fix.

Lets face it, we need new/better/revamped aggro skills late/end game to remain viable as 'tanks'.

Oh, and the easy fix for all those 5aps BM's who god-mode tank everything on easy mode is not to nerf demon spark, but to make -interval gears do what their description says they do. Claws with -.10 second interval between hits should mean just that, claws with a 10th of a second shaved off between hits, not a 10% boost in attack speed as it works now. That would do wonders in balancing out all weapon dps.

/rant, sorry
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Meh, I'll be the first sage barb with a decent build and claws.b:cool

...now for the money issue...b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Bartack I didnt really mean demon barbs in special, as im sure sage bms dont have it easy either. archers to an extend.
    Yes I agree with you its the interval system.

Getting better aggro skills? how would that help? bms can still tank and be much better dds at the same time...
  • XxMountMexX - Sanctuary
    XxMountMexX - Sanctuary Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I'm sry... but are you all seriously that clueless as to using a barb? Sage/Demon barbs can still hold agro to a 5aps per second bm easily... its only a matter of slowly flipping through ALL of your aggro skills (One by one... including maybe a genie one) with using ream the most to keep aggro... thats pretty much all you have to do.. and as for the demon barbs having more attack power than sage, well as stated earlier in this thread.. ain't much of a difference.. the only thing demon barbs have on sage barbs is full attack in tiger form and vice versa sage barbs have the hp bonus... still not that big of a difference in damage.. and sorry for ranting.. getting tired of these idiotic threads continously coming up.. btw Danger.. its all about how you play the barb as to whether demon or sage suits you.. just look at how you play the game. (ends rant)
  • Cybetron - Harshlands
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Well, even if our Ream gets tweaked and, let's say, that it contains the capability of retaining aggro through out the boss' life with just a few Reams, it doesn't really solve the problem of fist BMs being preferred over us since an axe barb <<<< fist bm in damage..

Logically, if you have a good squad with decent clerics, why would you give a spot to a person who is able to keep the aggro on the boss doing very little damage instead of a person who is able to keep the aggro just by the massive amount of damage he does to the boss. Its definitely true that the -interval stuff BMs give us no reasons whatsoever to tank most of the instances endgame.

So bottom line is Barbs are gonna be used only for the bosses that deal huge damage (not many out there), WBs and TWs catapulling..

As for the fist BM > fist Barb in PvE - it has been agreed in the BM forum itself that this is not true. Fist BMs sure are devils in PvP but in PvE we do just as much damage as they do.
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Im sry Xmount but cybetron hits the nail on the head.
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I'm sry... but are you all seriously that clueless as to using a barb? Sage/Demon barbs can still hold agro to a 5aps per second bm easily... its only a matter of slowly flipping through ALL of your aggro skills (One by one... including maybe a genie one) with using ream the most to keep aggro... thats pretty much all you have to do.. and as for the demon barbs having more attack power than sage, well as stated earlier in this thread.. ain't much of a difference.. the only thing demon barbs have on sage barbs is full attack in tiger form and vice versa sage barbs have the hp bonus... still not that big of a difference in damage.. and sorry for ranting.. getting tired of these idiotic threads continously coming up.. btw Danger.. its all about how you play the barb as to whether demon or sage suits you.. just look at how you play the game. (ends rant)

Win b:victory

Its better of to show people ingame rather than telling from forums, its the most accurate way anyways. I don't have problems with aggro even if LVL70+ go all out when I tank on my barb....

Edit: (people call me troll on the forums when I'm not b:sad)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • Maragon - Dreamweaver
    Maragon - Dreamweaver Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Its better of to show people ingame rather than telling from forums, its the most accurate way anyways.

this is right..

so go lvl ur 55 barb a bit before you discuss in a demon sage thread.

anyway....

heres a question for all those 100ish barbs. What would be a recommended HP to shoot for to be able to tank all the normal stuff in pve. not including WBs and harpy but all of TT, Lunar and Nirvana. because as I see it from this discussion if you can hit that hp level without sage then demon would be a good choice. so what hp should my barb shoot for to be able to tank those things (not looking for do ___ and go sage or if your demon do___. not a minimum either just a general recommended number) thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Danikovich - Heavens Tear
    Danikovich - Heavens Tear Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ain't much of a difference.. the only thing demon barbs have on sage barbs is full attack in tiger form and vice versa sage barbs have the hp bonus... still not that big of a difference in damage..

Hah, are you so bad at math? Your weapon damage is HALVED in True Form if you are Sage.

That means you'd need to have a weapon TWICE as good as a Sage Barb to have the same damage as a Demon Barb. So I'm guessing probably, if same weapons.... +10 refinement. Not much of a difference, I beg to differ.
    Like they say in my country:
    When you are too smart, smartness eats you up.
  • KingTank - Heavens Tear
    KingTank - Heavens Tear Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I miss the old days where each class had their roles they play, and if your tanking demon/sage doesn't really matter, if you have some1 with 5 Attack speed that keeps sparking every 10 seconds your gonna end up loosing the agro and thats when the Ping Pong match begins b:beatup
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    Traz - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options

You aren't keeping aggro from a 5.0 for more then 10 seconds so good luck with that.

-int % based and everything is def evened out with aggro. You can also keep the -.1 or so as a stack AFTER demon spark.

(atk rate * demon spark) + whatever -int gear

It confuses me that NOTHING else in the game stacks on top of each other besides demon spark and -int gear....what's up with that?

I think that would def make it easier for us to actually do our job. As to the BMs will be preferred....well they can be we all know when it comes to keeping aggro on groups of mobs and making it easier on everyone else in the squad a barb is preferred. Plus if stuff goes wrong we have invoke and other skills so we stay alive a lot better then a BM can.
    BladedZero - Sanctuary
    "Also I don't think actually playing through the game helps your skill either."

-And we wonder why this game has gone to hell b:cute
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Win b:victory

Its better of to show people ingame rather than telling from forums, its the most accurate way anyways. I don't have problems with aggro even if LVL70+ go all out when I tank on my barb....

Edit: (people call me troll on the forums when I'm not b:sad)

Okay, you are a fail thread master and your arguments are silly. b:avoid
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~