Is it possible to play wizard without spending real $?

Options
Cookie_Doe - Heavens Tear
Cookie_Doe - Heavens Tear Posts: 86 Arc User
edited June 2010 in Wizard
Okay so im in a position where where im not able to spend real money on this game..i just cant. Then again I would really like to try out the wizard class, but hearing how hard it is first few levels leading up to lvl70, and even the fact that I need "really good gear?" I dont know if it is doable. So im specifically directing this answer toward gear...is there anybody that has a wizard but has not spent real money on it and I'm speaking to those who are end game or on their way to it. Of course I know that it will be harder to finish a wiz without real money (extra grinding and farming), but is it doable?

Edit: Okay I understand that wizards are very good at pvp but im a pve kind of person. (Im already broke why would I go pvp? XD)
Post edited by Cookie_Doe - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Borsuc - Raging Tide
    Borsuc - Raging Tide Posts: 1,526 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    While I can't say for higher levels as I've yet to get there, I've got to 80 by spending 0$.

At the lower levels you just need to kite (run away) from mobs and figure out a good spell combination. Also against elemental mobs you should prefer the spells that the mob is weak against, or at least something that is not strong against (like Earth for Earth elemental mobs).

That said wizard is definitely a "fast" class to go through quests but not necessarily easy as in lazy. It's easy for me since I'm used to good tactics/combos and reflexes, but not for someone who is slow at it and wants 1-button auto solution for everything.

Until you get your healing spell at lvl24, then normal quests become a piece of cake if you don't want to use potions at all... mana regenerates much faster than HP for us assuming you put a lot of mag as you should.

The real problem with coins, if you are not going to grind or don't have much time to play, is after level 60 or so. That's where your skills start to hurt in the amount of coins they cost, not to mention the first TT weapons you'll probably want. Unless you farm TTs instead of buying them, which is again time-consuming.
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Uhmmmm, it is "possible" to become a really good wizard without spending real money, but you'd need to find some way to make other money. Amour and Miss_Tika are 2 examples of good wizards that have spent nearly no money on the game, although they have spent ALOT of time farming and I seem to remember they both got some free gear from people.

Just think that any good wizard is going to be "worth" a few thousand dollars at least, and my experience with farming feels like one hour of farming gets you about one dollar after expenses. Obviously that depends on luck and tons of other variables, but that would be my estimate. You could try your luck with merchanting.. but that can also be extremely time consuming as well, with a chance of losing money instead of making money :(

Dunno if that helped at all, but just realize if you are going to make money without cash shopping, you'll need to spend a TON of time and pray that you are lucky. I think its the same with any class, but short answer.. it is really unlikely you're gonna end up with a decent wizard without cash shopping with the high gold prices and low cost of most mats.
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Mine opinion is no. Or it would take sooo long time that PWI will not exist while you became powerful. I'm not talking about +5 everything. Because is nothing nowadays. Without even gear +10 and at least +1atk. stones you have no chance to stand up to another players especially territory owners guilds and their members. This PWI became VERY money dependable or you will have no fun if you loose every duel.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JiEunxD - Archosaur
    JiEunxD - Archosaur Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    From what I hear, cash shopping would make things much faster and easier and basically, I heard it's worth the $ for everything.
    Of course, you can do it without cash-shopping, but it would take ages.

Remember, this game is Free to Play, not free to enjoy.
    List of my territory war videos:
    ht tp://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=873472
  • Nukesrus - Harshlands
    Nukesrus - Harshlands Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    http://www.perfectworld.com/blog/?p=55151

Maybe it will be soon?

I'm taking a little break from my wizzie to level my cleric. This is fantastic news to me. Maybe it will allow me to get free hypers? :O Using a mage to farm the Nein event has already been super profitable; I hope this turns out the same way.
  • Exitium - Dreamweaver
    Exitium - Dreamweaver Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    If the money you spend is worth it or not varies alot on how you value your money. Take for example one of those Lunar rings that ppl sell 50-60 mil. On my server, gold is currently at 450k ish so that would make 111+ gold which pretty much means 111$. Is that worth it? Not to me... Id rather pay for university... depends on your income and priorities in life. You can be good without cash shopping but it is an aweful lot harder...

And that new event seems rigged for cash shoppers to win like Nein beast >.>
  • Nukesrus - Harshlands
    Nukesrus - Harshlands Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I only buy charms for my mage and my tome(alm's bowl) was the result of a lucky anni pack drop with birthday cash. I can place in the top ten quite easily by simply gush->pyro mobs and bosses repeatedly.
  • DizzieLizzie - Raging Tide
    DizzieLizzie - Raging Tide Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    It depends in what you wanna excel into.Pve is just joke after lvl 60.I believe you can do fair in tw without superior gear too.Pvp/pk is different manner.
    The "good gear" for wizards differ a bit compared to other arcane classes.For lvl 70 arcane tt is not a good choice.So the cash needed is not that much.You don't really need the tt80 green either.The molds for weapon and pants at lvl 70 can be found at decent prices, ornaments too.
    Imo 70 and 80 gears are not worth refining high,+3 or +4 is more than enough.
    In terms of weapons high refines for mages are also not that necessary simply because of skill mechanics - being pointed many times on forum.Sure with +4 weapon you'll do less damage but the numbers u get are so high it doesn't really matter.
    After lvl 80 few more ways open to make cash apart from grinding and farming...
    Just don't expect to get your gear pimped in a day.
    Before the coming of the packs (yes such time existed)arcane tt 90 and tt lvl 100 magic sword were considered endgame gear and i think its pretty much achievable for non paying player.
  • Djoulz - Lost City
    Djoulz - Lost City Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    you can play a wizard without putting real money in...BUT you will end up spending ALL of your time grinding (if you aren't cat shopping), and i mean HARDCORE grinding...and it's not even sure you will end up getting good gear anyway.
    Since this game (like any other "free to play" ones) has been meant to be good business for the company, it all aims on them making tones of money off us and the result of you not giving in is you getting owned by the guys who spent 5000$ in the past years!! yeah, sure, some will say better gears/refining doesn't make good players but i say it SURE helps a lot more!!

this is my first char, i chose to spent a couple of bucks on it (around 200$, considering i never paid for anything internet related in the past 10 years: movies, games, etc..) because i felt good doing it and satisfied by the results...but in the end, it's just money wasted on something i might get bored of someday

anyways, i will always have SO MUCH more respect and be much more impressed by someone who reaches end levels without having put a single $ in the game than anything else!!

good luck though lol
  • NuDe - Heavens Tear
    NuDe - Heavens Tear Posts: 532 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I never spend a $ in the game (i know, shame on me)

And i'm not a bad wizzie at all

Dizzie is right:
    pve is easy
    TW is doable
    pvp/pk is hard...

I personnaly cant 1vs1 a cash shopper
    (special dedicace to Curse_, Royalice, E_lM_A, and some other, but here is my podium ^^)

To be a wizzie, if you dont want to spend real cash, it's all about being smart...

Smart in "who do you fight", and smart in "how do you fight"...

that's it

PS: problem of wizard is that no one want them for anything, unless TW and RB
    QQ

PPS: save the wizzie, save the world
  • Djoulz - Lost City
    Djoulz - Lost City Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I never spend a $ in the game (i know, shame on me)

And i'm not a bad wizzie at all

Dizzie is right:
    pve is easy
    TW is doable
    pvp/pk is hard...

I personnaly cant 1vs1 a cash shopper
    (special dedicace to Curse_, Royalice, E_lM_A, and some other, but here is my podium ^^)

To be a wizzie, if you dont want to spend real cash, it's all about being smart...

Smart in "who do you fight", and smart in "how do you fight"...

that's it

PS: problem of wizard is that no one want them for anything, unless TW and RB
    QQ

PPS: save the wizzie, save the world

b:victoryb:cool
  • Scorched_Sky - Sanctuary
    Scorched_Sky - Sanctuary Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    There are ways to spend 0 cash and still not be a "non-factor."

I'll admit farming isn't the most ideal way to achieve this, but if you get enough principle through farming, catshopping can pull you through afterward.

I've been able to get satisfactory gear (aquadash +5, tt90 3-4 sockets, etc) through just catshop funds (and I never became one of those big merchants - just a small overnight shop when I need the cash).
  • _Leiian_ - Heavens Tear
    _Leiian_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    if u wanna, u can play wizard also good in the endgame, without cash shopping.
    But the problem in game is that u need a lot of good friends, that wanna help ya, and u've to be at least lvl 90+.
    u could play all classes good without cash shopping. But u need to spend a life on the game.
    As someone said, instead of losing life on the game, find a job, and spend the pay on the game xD

Atm it's the faster way.

some ppl has farmed rank 8.
    well, idk and i cant understand how is possible to do it.
    for sure u can get spirit from public quests or trophy mode.
    but u've to get also a lot of money to shard everything and so on.
    Mmmm...TT 3-2, 3-3 money run, could sound good. But u need friends. And be lvl 95+, and it will take ages, anyway.
  • Feiric - Harshlands
    Feiric - Harshlands Posts: 240 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't bother playing a money class if I didn't have money to dump.

Really. It's not worth your time and you'd get worn out. It's a game, not work, but you'll disagree if you have to grind it out. If you're down for it, nobody will stop you.

I don't know what your situation is, but I'm gonna relay a view point I have about gold.

How long does it take to grind for one gold at the auction house? Just for the sake of argument, let's say it took four hours. What the heck.

Ok, you spent four hours to make a dollar.

Mowing a lawn for 30 min might get ya five dollars! See where I'm going? If you're old enough, you can work a part time job, or any job, and do "true gold farming" if you like the game enough to invest in it as a hobby. You get much more bang for your buck and save time that you'd otherwise waste grinding playing the game anyway, so I think it's a win/win.

However, like I said, I don't know your situation and hope I didn't overspeak. I just don't want to see a potential wiz get sucked into the black hole of never was ... ...
  • \Hysteria\ - Dreamweaver34
    \Hysteria\ - Dreamweaver34 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    as others have said theres ways but they take time, i have plenty of mats and herbs i can farm and catshop and make really good money, BUT, it takes a while, i also merchant, but as amour said, it can also be time consuming and if ur not lucky, actually lose money, so to answer your question, yes, you can be successful without spending a single dollar in the game (i havent and wont), itll just take you ALOT longer than someone who does cashshop.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ty Forsakenx for the siggy <3
    my post count always goes back to one >.>
    im so pro.
  • Borsuc - Raging Tide
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Mine opinion is no. Or it would take sooo long time that PWI will not exist while you became powerful. I'm not talking about +5 everything. Because is nothing nowadays. Without even gear +10 and at least +1atk. stones you have no chance to stand up to another players especially territory owners guilds and their members. This PWI became VERY money dependable or you will have no fun if you loose every duel.
    I agree but I thought she was talking about PvE being on a PvE server, which is not required to spend cash if you know what you're doing.

PvP in pay to win games are a joke and I never considered them seriously. I'm not saying that the cash shopping people have no skill, that would be hypocritical. Only saying that they have the upper advantage and in this game, especially because of the damn HP charms on top of their +12 refines (making them ALREADY hard enough to kill), it's a HUGE advantage and makes them nearly invincible.

It's probably the reason there are more PvE servers than PvP as people, regardless of skill, don't like having cash advantages, and probably the reason why PvE servers are more populated (i.e I assume it's the reason they opened a new PvE server).

And in the end you can actually get anything with the cash shop as long as people buy your gold (= you get coins) even without packs... as long as you find people selling whatever you need, just sell gold, get free coins, and buy.

I hope those uber cash shopping people will soon not have anyone to fight seriously. The only problems are forced PK zones...
  • Shadowvzs - Lost City
    Shadowvzs - Lost City Posts: 877 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options

still here easier to refine ur set than in other servers cause economy here the best :P
    this is pw, and f2p :p
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I agree but I thought she was talking about PvE being on a PvE server, which is not required to spend cash if you know what you're doing.

PvP in pay to win games are a joke and I never considered them seriously. I'm not saying that the cash shopping people have no skill, that would be hypocritical. Only saying that they have the upper advantage and in this game, especially because of the damn HP charms on top of their +12 refines (making them ALREADY hard enough to kill), it's a HUGE advantage and makes them nearly invincible.

It's probably the reason there are more PvE servers than PvP as people, regardless of skill, don't like having cash advantages, and probably the reason why PvE servers are more populated (i.e I assume it's the reason they opened a new PvE server).

And in the end you can actually get anything with the cash shop as long as people buy your gold (= you get coins) even without packs... as long as you find people selling whatever you need, just sell gold, get free coins, and buy.

I hope those uber cash shopping people will soon not have anyone to fight seriously. The only problems are forced PK zones...

Yp PVE is little different but at the end is the same like PVP server. Every1 want to do PVP at the end game. As you said the hard cashopper have huge advantage. And no cashhopper doesn't have chance against them. I see it on dragon temple event. I was first time there, when pack didn't exist. Every1 killed me, because I was lv. 70 I think. So I told myself ok I will level up and then I became powerful like them. BullSh. Now I'm lv. 101 with very good gear and I still don't have chance to survive against faction owning territory. Their gear is absolutely amazing. So what changed? Nothing I'm end game wizard with no chance to survive. With packs game became VERY unbalanced and also with -interval gear like fist. And dev. don't care they need just their money. So I just waiting for GW2 and then bye,bye PW.b:angry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shadowvzs - Lost City
    Shadowvzs - Lost City Posts: 877 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Yp PVE is little different but at the end is the same like PVP server. Every1 want to do PVP at the end game. As you said the hard cashopper have huge advantage. And no cashhopper doesn't have chance against them. I see it on dragon temple event. I was first time there, when pack didn't exist. Every1 killed me, because I was lv. 70 I think. So I told myself ok I will level up and then I became powerful like them. BullSh. Now I'm lv. 101 with very good gear and I still don't have chance to survive against faction owning territory. Their gear is absolutely amazing. So what changed? Nothing I'm end game wizard with no chance to survive. With packs game became VERY unbalanced and also with -interval gear like fist. And dev. don't care they need just their money. So I just waiting for GW2 and then bye,bye PW.b:angry

that more unbalanced if u go and solo a cash shopper squade alone or dominator guild squad b:surrender

in martial event my friend with barb 18k hp died in 8 sec XD simple more ppl / more money / more strategy with in every f2p mmorpg
  • Khaostos - Heavens Tear
    Khaostos - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I have put some money into the game, but only on things like fashion or mounts - I like flying faster, what can I say. As far as it being a necessity to spend money to be a wizard, I think it will really boil down to your playing style. I'm primarily PvE, so its not a big deal. For those who want to do PK however, it doesn't matter what class you are the people who put money in will always have better gear.

So look at how you want to play before making a wiz. If PvE is your goal, then by all means do it, Wizzies are a lot of fun. But if you're going PvP, ya might want to look at a different class because wiz definitely need top gear to compete.

Good luck b:cool
  • Exitium - Dreamweaver
    Exitium - Dreamweaver Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't bother playing a money class if I didn't have money to dump.

Really. It's not worth your time and you'd get worn out. It's a game, not work, but you'll disagree if you have to grind it out. If you're down for it, nobody will stop you.

I don't know what your situation is, but I'm gonna relay a view point I have about gold.

How long does it take to grind for one gold at the auction house? Just for the sake of argument, let's say it took four hours. What the heck.

Ok, you spent four hours to make a dollar.

Mowing a lawn for 30 min might get ya five dollars! See where I'm going? If you're old enough, you can work a part time job, or any job, and do "true gold farming" if you like the game enough to invest in it as a hobby. You get much more bang for your buck and save time that you'd otherwise waste grinding playing the game anyway, so I think it's a win/win.

However, like I said, I don't know your situation and hope I didn't overspeak. I just don't want to see a potential wiz get sucked into the black hole of never was ... ...

I agree with that but at this point even casual cash shopping isnt even enough. 500$ might get you a couple event items but it stops there, and heck 500$ is quite a big chunk for a lot of ppl to spend on pixels. If spending 100-200$ could get me something worth it, believe me, Id cash shop but the way i see it, Id have to spend 1000-2000$ to make a difference... So to GW2 I shall go b:bye
  • Feiric - Harshlands
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I agree with that but at this point even casual cash shopping isnt even enough. 500$ might get you a couple event items but it stops there, and heck 500$ is quite a big chunk for a lot of ppl to spend on pixels. If spending 100-200$ could get me something worth it, believe me, Id cash shop but the way i see it, Id have to spend 1000-2000$ to make a difference... So to GW2 I shall go b:bye

Yeah, it is a lot of money. However, the way I see it goes with the old saying, "Time is money." I think you'll get endgame gear faster by investing the otherwise grinding hours into a part-time job. It would still take time, but I think it would be 20 times faster to grind in real life and play with your smartly invested interest.

I mean, if you just play the game, you're not going to earn that money anyway. So if you think about it, you're not saving RL money if you weren't making any to begin with. Heck, you could even say you're wasting money by playing the game, period, since you're doing that instead of earning real money with that time.

So my point is, if you have years to play this game, you may as well do it smartly if it's possible for you. I understand some people may not be able to work, so obviously this wouldn't apply them and my sympathy goes out to them. See what I'm saying, though?
  • /Groovy/ - Harshlands
    /Groovy/ - Harshlands Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Yeah, it is a lot of money. However, the way I see it goes with the old saying, "Time is money." I think you'll get endgame gear faster by investing the otherwise grinding hours into a part-time job. It would still take time, but I think it would be 20 times faster to grind in real life and play with your smartly invested interest.

I mean, if you just play the game, you're not going to earn that money anyway. So if you think about it, you're not saving RL money if you weren't making any to begin with. Heck, you could even say you're wasting money by playing the game, period, since you're doing that instead of earning real money with that time.

So my point is, if you have years to play this game, you may as well do it smartly if it's possible for you. I understand some people may not be able to work, so obviously this wouldn't apply them and my sympathy goes out to them. See what I'm saying, though?

You would have the point if not few facts:
    - it's only a game. What means, once you reach "end-game" there's not much to do, you get bored and quit, and all the money you pumped in is wasted since you won't get it back
    - for some people having fun when playing and reaching personal goals is waaaaay more important than "winning" it.
    Packs World International
  • Borsuc - Raging Tide
    edited June 2010
    Options

You make sense but you forgot this is a game, and that's supposed to be entertainment, not "a waste of time"... because by that definition we should work 24/7. It ignores the whole point of a game.
  • Cookie_Doe - Heavens Tear
    Cookie_Doe - Heavens Tear Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    thank you for all the replies :), still I'm not sure if i will roll a wiz
  • ugysekell
    ugysekell Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    if you PVE only: yes, it is possible.
    if you want to own in PVP: no (no chance against cashshoppers).
    edited June 2010
    Options
    If I knew 2years ago, how this stupid packs change balance in game I would never pick up wizard. Truth is without hard cash you have no chance as wizard. We even cannot farm TT like melee classes with fist,claws etc. We are not necessary like clerics. It mean no money=poor gear=very weak.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Feiric - Harshlands
    edited June 2010
    Options
    You would have the point if not few facts:
    - it's only a game. What means, once you reach "end-game" there's not much to do, you get bored and quit, and all the money you pumped in is wasted since you won't get it back
    - for some people having fun when playing and reaching personal goals is waaaaay more important than "winning" it.
    You make sense but you forgot this is a game, and that's supposed to be entertainment, not "a waste of time"... because by that definition we should work 24/7. It ignores the whole point of a game.

I didn't mean to refer to the game as a waste of time - I was referring to the months of grinding and offering a different perspective. I realize now that calling grinding a waste of time was a bad choice of words, because a lot of people have dedicated a lot of time to it and I probably offended you guys. Sorry about that.

It is indeed a game, and I figure anyone who decides to enjoy it might find worth in taking my idea as a way to spare themselves the heavy grinding it would take to reach uber endgame.

See, I look at this game as a hobby for a lot of people. It's very common to invest money into a hobby that you routinely spend your free time with. I find worth in it because I enjoy the game just that much and don't mind putting money into it as long as I can do it and still live comfortably. It's the same way for Beatles collectors, Star Trek or car enthusiasts, whatever's your cup of tea.

Also, what people do once they reach end game is something they decide themselves before getting there. If someone anticipates getting bored and quitting, I'd ask them to ask themselves how much they really want to invest into being an endgame Wizard, of all classes. That's concidering how much stuff people say you need in order to be a powerful endgame wiz.

If they're just going to be a casual player, not worrying about getting to 100, then they wouldn't be reading this thread all the way through, I think, much less take heed to any of what we're talking about right now.

So I stand by what I said before! There! :-l
  • /Groovy/ - Harshlands
    /Groovy/ - Harshlands Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    See, I look at this game as a hobby for a lot of people. It's very common to invest money into a hobby that you routinely spend your free time with. I find worth in it because I enjoy the game just that much and don't mind putting money into it as long as I can do it and still live comfortably. It's the same way for Beatles collectors, Star Trek or car enthusiasts, whatever's your cup of tea.

That's good point actually.
    Packs World International
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    If I knew 2years ago, how this stupid packs change balance in game I would never pick up wizard. Truth is without hard cash you have no chance as wizard. We even cannot farm TT like melee classes with fist,claws etc. We are not necessary like clerics. It mean no money=poor gear=very weak.

Very true, very true, it's true, it's the fact . . b:cry
    Almost every DD type arcane class can't farm like melee class.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...