How do i install perfect world on ubuntu??

Options
Freohr - Harshlands
Freohr - Harshlands Posts: 3 Arc User
edited June 2010 in Support Desk
How do i install perfect world on ubuntu??
i have ubuntu 10.4 and the latest version of wine available in the add/remove programs list.
Can u make it as simple as possible cause im not very good with computers XD
thanx
Post edited by Freohr - Harshlands on

Comments

• ChocoMonster - Dreamweaver
    ChocoMonster - Dreamweaver Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    IF YOU HAVE ATI GRAPHICS CARD, DO NOT FOLLOW THIS GUIDE, THERE IS A BUG IN THE CURRENT UBUNTU 10.04 FGLRX DRIVERS THAT WILL DISALLOW PWI TO RUN SMOOTHLY.

No, we can't make it as simple as possible. For one, get rid of that wine version. You need to install WINE from the PPA using the software sources in Administration.

Add ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa to software sources.

In terminal, run

sudo apt-get update

enter your password when it asks (YOU CANNOT BACKSPACE IF YOU ENTER IT WRONG, THERE WILL BE NO ASTERISKS TO TELL YOU HOW MANY CHARACTERS YOU ENTERED. This is a security feature of the terminal, sorry, they will never, ever, change it.)

After it updates, and after you have added the ppa (you have to add the ppa before the update, sorry, you can't do it after) you need to run...

sudo apt-get install wine1.2

after it finishes, run Wine's regedit function and follow these steps:

Add "Direct3D" key to HKEY_CURRENT_USR -> Software -> Wine
    Add the following String Values to the Direct3D key:

DirectDrawRenderer "opengl"
    Nonpower2Mode "repack"
    OffscreenRenderingMode "fbo"
    PixelShaderMode "enabled"
    RenderTargetLockMode "auto"

after that, run

wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks

then run

sh winetricks

and on the dialog that comes up, select allfonts, d3dx9 (or whatever it's called.) Press OK after that. Wait for it to finish.

After all that is done, TURN OFF VISUAL EFFECTS NOW. (From the Appearance configuration dialog within Ubuntu.)

Next, go in Language Support within the Administration menu in ubuntu, then install the Chinese Traditional, Simplified and the other Chinese languages.

Sad to say, we're not done yet, after you have finally downloaded the 3 GB file to install Perfect World, run it in terminal by using

wine filename.exe

when you're in the directory using command prompt. If you don't know how to change directories in terminal, it's the command cd directory_name_here/

once you have installed Perfect World (DO NOT VERIFY FILES) you're ALMOST ready to start it.

Next, when you first start up Perfect World, you might get an updater error with the client not closing (the launcher WILL hang, believe me, and will not update. There is no way to get around this. Instead, update manually and do not auto-select the server. if it continues to hang, sad to say, there's not a darn thing you can do, but to go back to windows.)

If everything goes well, you'll be able to run PWI. Also, make sure to turn Terrain all the way up if you have missing terrain. You WILL NOT be able to record a PWI video with ubuntu, it just won't work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Freohr - Harshlands
    edited May 2010
    Options
    wow thanx, hopefully it works, i cant try just yet as i dont have my laptop with me, doesnt sound to complex
  • Renegade_Elf - Heavens Tear
    Renegade_Elf - Heavens Tear Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I like Linux, but it's terribly user-unfriendly. Linux has WINE though, but it's very flawed and many errors. This guide might work, but also might not...

I don't have Linux anymore, but just Windows, though I might want to change to Mac sometime. I belive there is no WINE for Mac, but of course I am not yet a Mac user, so I have limited knowledge about it.

But in the case of Mac OS and Linux you can install VirtualBox, which is available for Linux, Mac and Windows users. In the VirtualBox, you can create a virtual computer. On which in Linux, you have the possibility to install Windows in the VirtualBox, without Windows affecting your Linux installation. Then you will have something like Linux OS -> virtual machine containing a Windows install (as a program running under Linux) --> In the virtual Windows you run the PWI client.

So if you are not able to set up WINE correctly, try VirtualBox instead. Homepage: http://www.virtualbox.org/

VirtualBox for Ubuntu 10.04 ("Lucid Lynx") Download the i386 version. Or download the AMD64 version.
  • ChocoMonster - Dreamweaver
    ChocoMonster - Dreamweaver Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I like Linux, but it's terribly user-unfriendly. Linux has WINE though, but it's very flawed and many errors. This guide might work, but also might not...

I don't have Linux anymore, but just Windows, though I might want to change to Mac sometime. I belive there is no WINE for Mac, but of course I am not yet a Mac user, so I have limited knowledge about it.

But in the case of Mac OS and Linux you can install VirtualBox, which is available for Linux, Mac and Windows users. In the VirtualBox, you can create a virtual computer. On which in Linux, you have the possibility to install Windows in the VirtualBox, without Windows affecting your Linux installation. Then you will have something like Linux OS -> virtual machine containing a Windows install (as a program running under Linux) --> In the virtual Windows you run the PWI client.

So if you are not able to set up WINE correctly, try VirtualBox instead. Homepage: http://www.virtualbox.org/

VirtualBox for Ubuntu 10.04 ("Lucid Lynx") Download the i386 version. Or download the AMD64 version.

Not everyone gets a computer with windows on it though, so don't assume they have an actual copy of windows to use.

MacOS has Crossover (so does Linux), Cross over is a pay-to-use program though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Freohr - Harshlands
    edited May 2010
    Options
    in this section

Sad to say, we're not done yet, after you have finally downloaded the 3 GB file to install Perfect World, run it in terminal by using

wine filename.exe

when you're in the directory using command prompt. If you don't know how to change directories in terminal, it's the command cd directory_name_here/

how do i know what the directory name is?
  • KissAndKill - Dreamweaver
    KissAndKill - Dreamweaver Posts: 750 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    in this section

wine filename.exe

how do i know what the directory name is?

You saved the perfect world installer to a directory. If you do not remember the exact path, then you need to try and remember that exact path. (GNOME Search is junk, don't use it.)
    There once a time when I cared about getting to the top quickly as possible to help others. Now, I take it slow, and don't worry about having nothing to do. There's always something to do in an MMORPG, especially if you are high level. PK'ing is for those who desire to inflate their egos. True friendship comes from helping one-another, rather than to start rivalries.

It takes 315300 Mysterious Chips to make one warsoul weapon, if you have a 100% success rate.
  • Sedokk - Harshlands
    Sedokk - Harshlands Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    ok thanx, i installed it and manually updated it to version 337.
    but now i have an error, i click start and it goes to the first loading screen but once it has finished loading it closes and an error comes up, heres a pic:
    http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/4897/screenshotcnz.png
    do u know how to fix it?
  • KissAndKill - Dreamweaver
    KissAndKill - Dreamweaver Posts: 750 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    To be honest, I wouldn't know, since I do not ever recommend doing anything that you normally do on windows to fix anything on PWI (Since WINE Is Not Windows.) That includes using the verify execution.
    There once a time when I cared about getting to the top quickly as possible to help others. Now, I take it slow, and don't worry about having nothing to do. There's always something to do in an MMORPG, especially if you are high level. PK'ing is for those who desire to inflate their egos. True friendship comes from helping one-another, rather than to start rivalries.

It takes 315300 Mysterious Chips to make one warsoul weapon, if you have a 100% success rate.
  • Amplius - Lost City
    Amplius - Lost City Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ok thanx, i installed it and manually updated it to version 337.
    but now i have an error, i click start and it goes to the first loading screen but once it has finished loading it closes and an error comes up, heres a pic:
    http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/4897/screenshotcnz.png
    do u know how to fix it?

I got the same error =(
This discussion has been closed.