Been offline for a year..

Chikers - Sanctuary
Chikers - Sanctuary Posts: 99 Arc User
edited May 2010 in Blademaster
Well I started playing PW january of 2009 and played up until that summer and this past week has been the first time I've been on since then..

A lot has changed but I'm hoping not too much,

I'm a lvl 73 Axe BM (calamity axes <3) and I've always put the req. amt of str for axes and divided the rest of the stat points between vit and dex. Now my baseline stats (without equipment) is:
Vit: 59 Mag:5 with equip: Vit: 74 Mag:8
Str: 217 Dex: 94 Str: 235 Dex: 105

I'm not sure of my exact point allocation but at first I just kinda threw them around, is this still effective or is this "messed up"?

Other than that, have there been any major new skills added or changed that I should know more about?

I've been looking through the forums but I just wanted to make sure I'm still in the green =)

Thanks for the help!
Post edited by Chikers - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Well I started playing PW january of 2009 and played up until that summer and this past week has been the first time I've been on since then..

A lot has changed but I'm hoping not too much,

I'm a lvl 73 Axe BM (calamity axes <3) and I've always put the req. amt of str for axes and divided the rest of the stat points between vit and dex. Now my baseline stats (without equipment) is:
    Vit: 59 Mag:5 with equip: Vit: 74 Mag:8
    Str: 217 Dex: 94 Str: 235 Dex: 105

I'm not sure of my exact point allocation but at first I just kinda threw them around, is this still effective or is this "messed up"?

Other than that, have there been any major new skills added or changed that I should know more about?

I've been looking through the forums but I just wanted to make sure I'm still in the green =)

Thanks for the help!

Well, there are new classes, but if you don't PK it doesn't make it that much different. On the other hand, genies are something that's now here and make it a bit different. Unless the genies were already out back then.

Oh and fists are now regarded as the best BM weapon since there are event gears. A little explanation might be cool so I'll tell you a bedtime story. b:chuckle

When PWI was 1 year old, they released a boutique item called Anniversary Pack that contained mostly items called tokens and some very OP equips. That way a fist BM can achieve 5 attacks per second. Needless to say, people weren't too happy about it.

In any case, I suggest you do a little research and check out genies. Most people use those and I can tell you, those make some things so much easier.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • Chikers - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    Yes fortunately genies had just come out but I didn't have the time to adventure into them too much, I know I have a poison skill and healing one and relentless courage. but other than that fist BMs were known was fail bms atleast for most people, I didn't think either way b/c I never tried one but they looked entertaining.

The reason I asked this was even as I was walking through archo I noticed a few people comented about my calamity axes on a BM and I knew it wasn't completely normal b/c usually thats a barb tank weap but I had always wanted to be a tank (or atleast a hero in case the tank died xD) and atleast be able to comfortably aoe grind without needing charms all the time.

I've also invested a lot of time and experience in stun locking pvp opponents which has been very successful imo.

anyways, thanks for the heads up if anyone has any more comments please let me know xD
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    Yes fortunately genies had just come out but I didn't have the time to adventure into them too much, I know I have a poison skill and healing one and relentless courage. but other than that fist BMs were known was fail bms atleast for most people, I didn't think either way b/c I never tried one but they looked entertaining.

The reason I asked this was even as I was walking through archo I noticed a few people comented about my calamity axes on a BM and I knew it wasn't completely normal b/c usually thats a barb tank weap but I had always wanted to be a tank (or atleast a hero in case the tank died xD) and atleast be able to comfortably aoe grind without needing charms all the time.

I've also invested a lot of time and experience in stun locking pvp opponents which has been very successful imo.

anyways, thanks for the heads up if anyone has any more comments please let me know xD

If someone tells you not to use calas as a BM at 7x they fail bad. Hell calamities are even better than TT90 green axes in PvP if refined nicely.
  • rudions2
    rudions2 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    If u ware offline for a year goo offline for few more years there is Assassins soo if urr BM no fun of playing :)
  • Delmarte - Lost City
    Delmarte - Lost City Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Yah, BM Strategy 101: Stun Locking. It hasn't changed.

However, now-a-days BMs have to multipath to compete, and yes, endgame fist bms are considered some of the most powerful players in the whole game. The majority of BMs are going demon to take advantage of the increased attack rate, and some fist BMs are able to deliver 5 attacks per second. Sage BMs are still around, but they are pretty rare.

There is also a growing disparity between cash-shoppers and non-cash-shoppers in terms of power (though not necessarily in terms of ability). Spending real-life money is much more profitable than it used to be.

You can still play the game and have fun, but it's a little rougher now at higher levels. There's much more competition, and now it's all about getting to lv 100 when 90 was considered pretty damn high in the past. (I mean it still is, but not as much).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If I'm here I'm bored or procrastinating. b:cute
  • ELVI$ - Dreamweaver
    ELVI$ - Dreamweaver Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Hmm whatz new since you were last on?

I believe Bounty Hunter daily quests would be new for you.
    Go to middle of Arch on raised platform to get those.

I think Frost Covered has changed since you were last on.
    It used to be a level 75 questing instance and is now an 85+ fast leveling instance.

The Goshiki quest line will add over a million exp easily; go to Etherblade Elder for that.

Anniversary packs came out in September and keep coming back with different names.
    They give sub 1% chances for elite high level gear and many people see them as the most vile thing in PW.

Thanks mostly to these packs, the price of gold is generally double what it would have been when you were last on.

The game in general has taken a huge swing towards cash shoppers so be prepared to be in squads with those who may have paid their way to your level but have no clue how to play.
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    due to the ready availibility of high lvl shards (flawless are the new average)vit has become verry unnessecary

and interval gear is considerably easier to get

so most good bm's go axe/fist early and will add on pole sword later some go axe early (hell if i know why) and restat to the 3:2 build at 90

and some stick with the low DPS weapons till endgame and ragequit

would suggest you try to do the following:

get up to 159 dex by lvl 80 to use buddah fists

max fist mastery

get bracers of the blood moon (dq orders are dirt cheap atm)

with +3 armor and 3 socket flawless you will still have over 4k hp at 80 but will also have the kinda of DD that makes grown barbs cry
    Gifs are hard to make work here
  • Chikers - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    So from reading everyones posts I was about to ask what should be my second path, and according to josh fists are the epic way to go, is it just cuz they own because of the speed of attacks? I just want to consider all options, I know swords used to be sorta a big deal with single target pve and pole are really good for range and frontal aoes.

Is fist really the best way for the axe combo, or is it more towards preference or will fist +axe totally own compared to the other choices? xD
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    So from reading everyones posts I was about to ask what should be my second path, and according to josh fists are the epic way to go, is it just cuz they own because of the speed of attacks? I just want to consider all options, I know swords used to be sorta a big deal with single target pve and pole are really good for range and frontal aoes.

Is fist really the best way for the axe combo, or is it more towards preference or will fist +axe totally own compared to the other choices? xD

Axe and fist is the best combo in my opinion and people are thinking like that in general too. It is fine unless you want to have huge HP from VIT. But like he said, you can get flawless shards for around 150k-180k each now, so HP isn't an issue.

Oh and almost nobody grinds anymore. All people do is BH for EXP and TT for money even though TT is not as good source of money as it used to be.
  • Chikers - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    oh wow I didn't realize it was that cheap, well all those points on vit wasted? Lol I'm about to calculate my stats to reach enough dex by lvl 80. I've been looking through the guides and skill lists and it seems awesome.

Oh a year ago if you spoke seriously about creating a fist bm you would be smacked D:

I haven't even finished the tideborn quest line and I've done all bh's and lvled twice and 50% through the third. I hope this doesn't change xD.

Thanks for all the help everyone I really appreciate the input I feel somewhat enligtened now and slightly more confident in owning peoples faces. =)