Reduce physical damage taken %

Options
HippiePanda - Sanctuary
HippiePanda - Sanctuary Posts: 91 Arc User
edited May 2010 in Barbarian
okay i still wonder hows that working. Everyone knows it getting harder and harder to get a 1% upgrade with phy def boni at a already high amount in phy def. So the question is if gear with >Reduce phy damage taken< increase your phy def always by the % it says?
If yes, it would be much better at high lvl armors than Phy Def (f.e. +240).
Post edited by HippiePanda - Sanctuary on

Comments

• SgtSIaughter - Heavens Tear
    SgtSIaughter - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,225 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    okay i still wonder hows that working. Everyone knows it getting harder and harder to get a 1% upgrade with phy def boni at a already high amount in phy def. So the question is if gear with >Reduce phy damage taken< increase your phy def always by the % it says?
    If yes, it would be much better at high lvl armors than Phy Def (f.e. +240).

"Reduce Physical damage %" is like say you have 10% and get hit for 1000 damage, 100 damage is removed and you only get hit with 900.
    "Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory.
    Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." ~Sun Tzu

"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!"
    ~Iron Mike Tyson Enrage.omgforum.net
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HippiePanda - Sanctuary
    HippiePanda - Sanctuary Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    "Reduce Physical damage %" is like say you have 10% and get hit for 1000 damage, 100 damage is removed and you only get hit with 900.

so it reduces the incoming phy damage and does'nt change the value of phy def in player info ?
  • GohRaL - Sanctuary
    GohRaL - Sanctuary Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    reduce physical damage works on the CLEAN damage u should get...

I.E. after an attack has bypassed the defence (equip) u get hit by 1000

those 1000 are the effective (CLEAN) damage on you...

the reduction % of damage taken works on the effective damage you get AFTER the defence reduction (by equip)...

so if u have 10% reduction on phy damage taken, u get hit for 900 instead of 1000
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...i guarantee you, YOUR CHILDREN WILL NOT SEE THE DAY OF YOUR WHITE HAIRS...GOODBYE BLUE SKY (and PW too)

>RETIRED<
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I know this is a bit of a late reply here, but I never noticed this thread before. I did some testing with someone punching me in duel (thus no damage range to correct for) and I tried various combinations of gear. I have a cudgel of ancient alloy that gives +1% physical damage reduced, and I have another weapon with no physical defense modifiers.

When I wear my cudgel and remove my pdef providing ornaments, my pdef would be (eg.. not precise since I'm not logged in): 67% unbuffed, human form.

When I wear my heraldry axes and put the pdef providing ornaments back on, my pdef is 68% unbuffed, human form

both combinations resulted in the same exact damage received. therefore I believe it is safe to say the +1% physical damage reduced bonus behaves in the same manner as having that extra 1% physical defense listed in your stats window. IE it gets calculated all at the same time as such:

1000 - 1000*.68 = 320

rather than as
    (1000 - 1000*.67) - (1000 - 1000*.67)*.01 = 326.7
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • Qingzi - Harshlands
    Qingzi - Harshlands Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I know this is a bit of a late reply here, but I never noticed this thread before. I did some testing with someone punching me in duel (thus no damage range to correct for) and I tried various combinations of gear. I have a cudgel of ancient alloy that gives +1% physical damage reduced, and I have another weapon with no physical defense modifiers.

When I wear my cudgel and remove my pdef providing ornaments, my pdef would be (eg.. not precise since I'm not logged in): 67% unbuffed, human form.

When I wear my heraldry axes and put the pdef providing ornaments back on, my pdef is 68% unbuffed, human form

both combinations resulted in the same exact damage received. therefore I believe it is safe to say the +1% physical damage reduced bonus behaves in the same manner as having that extra 1% physical defense listed in your stats window. IE it gets calculated all at the same time as such:

1000 - 1000*.68 = 320

rather than as
    (1000 - 1000*.67) - (1000 - 1000*.67)*.01 = 326.7

Necro FTLb:spit
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2010
    Options
    don't be a troll. b:bye

at least I contributed to the thread and actually answered the question as it hadn't really been answered properly yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • OMarvelous - Sanctuary
    OMarvelous - Sanctuary Posts: 339 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I dont understand whats wrong with necro'ing. Every other forum I participate wants you to necro, to search for the previous threads and post on that first before making another one.
  • PlumDumb - Heavens Tear
    PlumDumb - Heavens Tear Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    i love how this game likes small % and seconds.WOW a whole 1% crit..really? WOW 2% dmg reduction(like its going ot help),wings of protection wit ha 5 min recharge works for ..30 sec..omg .uhhhh...jsut alot of **** that dont work long enough in this game...same way with some apoth and its recharge times.
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2010
    Options
    ...same way with some apoth and its recharge times.

thats why my apothecary is still level 1.

BUT. Now granted that with Elite Instance gear, theres not much in the way of gear that provides that extra % damage reduction, I'm tempted to think that if you were to get a similar grade "NPC" type gear crafted and it came out 3 star and boasted a %damage reduction modifier you could possibly come out with better defenses by stacking those up on non instance gears. Of course, I'm not totally positive what different pieces of gear are capable of having that bonus on them.

I know theres a legendary helmet or two that have it, and can be obtained relatively easily with mysterious chips. And now after completing my TT 80 set, my pdef didn't go up a single percent from going from the TT 70 legs to the TT 80 legs. Actually, I had to equip chest arms and boots to see my pdef % go up a single percent. So now I can use the cudgel of ancient alloy with an added % damage reduction and Gloom bonus, already sharded and refined - or I can use the Giant Ape Axes to sacrifice the extra defense in trade of extra vit and chance to stun enemy for 3 seconds (which wouldnt work on bosses). I think I'll stick to the cudgel for tanking - Ape's for soloing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..