Channeling & Clerics

Searing - Dreamweaver
Searing - Dreamweaver Posts: 47 Arc User
edited June 2010 in Cleric
Hello,

i got a cleric that i recently started playing a bit. What notice is that i feel less need for channeling than on venomancer or my wizard. In fact, i got 0 channeling and was considering doing more of a ''crit theme'' on cleric more than anything else.

Was thinking more of some hp/pdef sleeves rather than Sea Captain mold and attendance / crit rings rather than channel ones. Keep in mind that this is for PvE only and cleric is on a budget since it's an alt after all.

What -%, if any, are you comfortable with? Is no channeling ok or should i aim at least for some channeling bonus?
Post edited by Searing - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Helr - Sanctuary
    Helr - Sanctuary Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Personally i have no - channeling gear, and no real plans to get any in the near future. I don't see a substantial benefit for healing, since there are rarely any fights that truly require spamming IH. The only offensive skills that i think would benefit are tempest, wield thunder, and razor feathers, but i don't use those enought yet to make spending my measly amount of coins to get a -9% channeling.
    helr - cleric,7X
    Jaggerjaques - BM, 7X
    blackrobe - Wizard, 6X
    and several others :D
  • Rawthorne - Heavens Tear
    Rawthorne - Heavens Tear Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    If you have no more then 50-70 vit and no dex and go w/ a +3 wpn in 80's and +4-5 in 90's+ and go w/ normal geared out tanks (ala dont do a 3-3 w/ a 10k hp barb) you can do just fine in 99% of what you are doing w/ little to no channeling gear. Channeling gear just makes it a little easier for doing things you probably shouldn't be doing (healing a 12k hp barb in 3-3 w/ no charm on; trust me its not fun) or to dd a little faster (so obviously pk situations it would help). Necessary as a cleric? No. Nice to have at times? Sure. Me personally I keep some channeling gear in my bag if I wanna balls out dd something like RB bh or 1k legion events.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Paramedic - Dreamweaver
    Paramedic - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    aside from fact that channeling is heavily overpriced and almost always involves drawbacks in magic or def, cleric spells are just quick (ih has 1 s channel time; second most used: wellspring - 1.5s and only slow SoR - 2.5s).

Channeling becomes interesting > -30% (or even more maybe since IH is HOT type spell not like veno's heal)

and btw even -50% channel dont help you if ur slowpoke b:chuckle that just 0.5s time taken from ih or 0.7s from ws = less than human reaction time :P

tl;dr channel is nice, but getting high value cost milions

btw i read some veno topic once, and ppl there wrote things like 'u need at least 8% channel to do that boss'. Veno heal has 1.5s channel, -8% alows u to squeeze one more spell every ~20 heals. how that may help is big mistery for me but that game is still full of surprises.
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

AGGRO MECHANICS: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=481682

GAME IS DEAD wiki-article: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=938282
  • Nexdonuum - Lost City
    Nexdonuum - Lost City Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Well, I've got the 77 sleeves (-6%), necklace of the legion (-3%) and a Dawdler's belt (-3%) and I do fine in regards to throwing heals or attacks off. I've also got 7% crit. I like a little balance. >:D

Oh, and I have an extra belt I keep with me that is a protection belt with -1% phys dmg (178 pdef regular stat) for when things get sticky and I need a little extra pdef. So depending on the situation, I've got anywhere from 9-12% -chan, and with the pdef belt, it adds an extra 7% pdef off the bat, with the combined awesomeness of -phys dmg taken. (PS: I've got 70 mold AA leggings, so with the belt I have 2-3% phys dam reduced)

:D

I've heard >30% chan gear can make a Cleric glitch a little, and stop the channeling of which ever skill you were doing, but I haven't had the chance to test it myself. I hope that this isn't the case, as I will probably get a set of -chan gear (if I'm ever able to afford it that is.. >.< ) and just mess around and get a feel for how well it works in different situations.. I would suggest you do the same, if it becomes possible. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quick learning Apprentice in the Arts of Subtle Killing.
  • Saidi - Raging Tide
    Saidi - Raging Tide Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Is Channeling significant for PK with a cleric? Or are clerics better of with crit add ons?
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Filter circumvention is a banable offence - Ary
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Edited quote - Ary

Wayyyyyyy too much channel O_o

24% is about right and after that glitches will happen...

I have -33% and can glitch out...more so when I use Sage magic Shell with the extra 20% channel >_>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
    edited June 2010
    Wayyyyyyy too much channel O_o

24% is about right and after that glitches will happen...

I have -33% and can glitch out...more so when I use Sage magic Shell with the extra 20% channel >_>
    its rroooossssyyypoo b:pleasedb:pleasedb:pleased
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    its rroooossssyyypoo b:pleasedb:pleased

b:cute HAI!!!! b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • aryannamage
    aryannamage Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Deceptistar I could have sworn you know better then that but here a reminder!

Filter circumvention is banable! 1 more and you will get a vacation. -.-
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2010
    Deceptistar I could have sworn you know better then that but here a reminder!

Filter circumvention is banable! 1 more and you will get a vacation. -.-

nyaaa b:sad
  • Mrvate - Heavens Tear
    Mrvate - Heavens Tear Posts: 406 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Channeling is not necessary on a cleric, I currently have no-chan gear and get along fine. Though I do actually want some. Just if I can't get it without sacrificing stuff I want more (which is most things like pdef/hp/magic attack) I won't do it.

When I was lower lvl, I had 21 chan. and I was really proud. Then another cleric had 0 chan called me stupid and had us both spam ih to see if my chan made a difference. and really it didn't make a very large difference for all the stuff I had sacrificed to get that chan. which was using pdef ornaments, and using rings that were a decent lvl (mine were low lvl rings with -chan since I couldn't afford higher lvl rings with chan on them).

All in all I'd say skip chan for the most part, though I would recommend sleeves of the sea captian. mostly because that thing is dirt cheap, and works perfectly fine. and alittle chan never hurt no one.
  • Frijolero - Sanctuary
    Frijolero - Sanctuary Posts: 820 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    For me:

Fiend's ring + Sleeves of sea Captain + Endless Abiguity = Barrage of Plume Shot b:victory

As personal opinion, I think -chan is not too much of a benefit on regular questing, specially when you can take down an enemy on 2-3 shots.

However, on squad based instances I feel a -chan bonus comes in handy since you can cast heals 'faster' with your normal and long casting heals, and thus helping you to be more effective on your role.

Also on fightigting bosses that hit hard on the tank, if your chan is short enough you could break the '5 stacked IH rule', having your tank get more hp per second.

And last, similar as above, on TW I've found that -chan is pretty good for the cleric in charge of healing and buffin' the cata puller in case he is gettin' ganked and purged.
    Sliding we go, only fear on our side. To the edge of the wire and we rush with the tide.
    Although I'm still alive, pray to God I survive
    How long on this longest day, 'til we finally make it through.
    - June 6, 1944. The day earth stood still.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XxLady_XelxX - Dreamweaver
    XxLady_XelxX - Dreamweaver Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    For me, personal survivability comes first. Granted, -channeling is awesome, and I loved it when I had it...but since I don't currently have the funding to have both sides of the fence, I went with padding survivability for the time being. Cause it don't matter how fast I can cast if I'm dead. And I don't QUITE have the reflexes with defensive skills to afford to make myself significantly more squishy... b:sad
  • _Neve_ - Heavens Tear
    _Neve_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    well its not necassary, i love it though!

i cut channeling a bit though for extra hp

no channeling necklace for example using sky demons pearl
    no -6% channeling rings, using -3% +3 vit +3 mag and -3% +70 hp instead.
    same with belt, not using -6% there either using -3% +135 hp+ elemental res
    still using sleeves of sea captain b:surrender
    well and the 3% on the weapon ofc
    adds a decent ammount of -channeling, gives a bit of extra hp and im very happy with it.
    course could be way better, but i didnt pay too much and i love it^^
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Realistically, it's only as good as the situation that warrants it. If you are in a 1v1 or other PvP situation, it might prove useful to cast a spell faster. However, as in all things, the other player's (and your) skill is a greater factor in the outcome. In PvE, -chan benefits for a cleric are fairly limited as most of our self/squad-preservation skills and attacks cast fairly quickly. Personally I have -18% (soon to be -21% b:victory) and love it. :D
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Picky - Lost City
    Picky - Lost City Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    However, on squad based instances I feel a -chan bonus comes in handy since you can cast heals 'faster' with your normal and long casting heals, and thus helping you to be more effective on your role.

Also on fightigting bosses that hit hard on the tank, if your chan is short enough you could break the '5 stacked IH rule', having your tank get more hp per second.

And last, similar as above, on TW I've found that -chan is pretty good for the cleric in charge of healing and buffin' the cata puller in case he is gettin' ganked and purged.

I agree with Frijolero. I currently have 27% channeling. In the beginning, i didnt really notice much difference until it hit about 12% or so. For myself I do find it quite useful for the skills that take a bit longer.
  • Bollocks - Raging Tide
    Bollocks - Raging Tide Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Does channeling really make such a big diffrence pvp wise? Or are we better off to stack some crit? This keeps hunting me, and I like to hear some more about it, before I choose my TT99 weapon. (Sword or Seashell).
    Aasimar:
    "Bollocks - a guy that will always point out to some1s nonsense and generally indicate contempt for a certain task, subject or opinion. A balancing force and more often then not, a voice of reason around thees parts. There is also paradox in that being his cleric name, as he likes to put it "useless char", while he is one of the best clerics on the server in PvP and PvE imo."
  • Frijolero - Sanctuary
    Frijolero - Sanctuary Posts: 820 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Does channeling really make such a big diffrence pvp wise? Or are we better off to stack some crit? This keeps hunting me, and I like to hear some more about it, before I choose my TT99 weapon. (Sword or Seashell).

Crit is too low, too random to be reliable for a cleric. You could hit with big numbers, but it'll be on rare and uncontroled ocasions.

While -chan will make you hit with lower numbers, it's 'attack speed' may give you a similar or higher DPS compared to a 'full crit' gear.

Is kind of like Axe BM versus a fist BM.
    Sliding we go, only fear on our side. To the edge of the wire and we rush with the tide.
    Although I'm still alive, pray to God I survive
    How long on this longest day, 'til we finally make it through.
    - June 6, 1944. The day earth stood still.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jeridian - Sanctuary
    Jeridian - Sanctuary Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    You'll notice a slight difference in -chan at -9%, at least that's what I did. However, for a smoother overall healing/fighting experience I always go for a minimum of -24-27% on my caster classes. That's where the real difference kicks in imo. Even more could be pretty cool to have, but I'm not trading off phy def ornaments and such for that, not for pvp at least.
  • Magiere - Dreamweaver
    Magiere - Dreamweaver Posts: 395 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Crit is too low, too random to be reliable for a cleric.

I got more crit than some Fist BM's that i know.

If it comes to pvp, crit>channel.
    Go for the tt99 gold sword, it simply rocks.
    Originally written by Satchiko to me regarding old spice commercial :
    Hello Perfect World. Look at your cleric, now back to me, now back to your cleric, now back to me. Sadly it isn't me. But if you stopped being a noob and started wearing sunglasses you could act like you're me. Look down, back up, where are you? You're on Dreamweaver with the cleric your cleric could be like. What's in your hand, back at me. It's an inventory filled with the gear you want. Look again, the gear is now diamonds. Anything is possible with sunglasses. I'm flying on starter wings.
  • Lylfo - Dreamweaver
    Lylfo - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    I got more crit than some Fist BM's that i know.

If it comes to pvp, crit>channel.
    Go for the tt99 gold sword, it simply rocks.

Although I agree that crit rocks, after having about 10% crit for clerics, additional crits are more expensive and I don't feel that actual crit goes up linearly with more crit % you stack. It might be jsut me or it might be the imperfect random machine used by pwi....b:surrender

And that tt99 gold is really very good, i like the HP on top of the crit% b:dirty
    Thanks Chillum for the nice Sig.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Legases - Lost City
    Legases - Lost City Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    lol ive got like -21% and i love it, i rarely let ppl die when they *u** up in frost/hh/bh and i can usualy kill ppl pretty fast in pvp.
    just sleep them [chromatic seal] + elemental seal (or) dimension seal, then razor feathers (or) weild thunder, (genie skill) eruption, then plume shot (or) whirlwind. and watch the numbers stack :D

ooo and with cleric is helpful to have +movement speed gear as well being that clerics are slowest and most vital class in this game and you dont want your squad waiting on you:)
    edited June 2010
    Best way is to just borrow a friends channeling gear and experience for yourself. By the time you have to trade the gear back youll notice how irritated youll get at your own original casting time.