2/3 or more Chars at the same time

Options
hopaqo
hopaqo Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2010 in General Discussion
Anyone here have 2 or more Chars. I want to start more Chars and was wondering about Pros/Cons, were there any difficulties. Especially at Mid & Higher levels. Any difficulties levelling up.

How did you find it, and how is it working out now. I'm ofcourse talking about keeping all Chars active. Any tips?

Thx b:thanks
Post edited by hopaqo on

Comments

• FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    you can have up to 8 on the same account, and more than one account, if you dont mind spreading yourself thin...^_^ but you can only play one at a time-more than one is botting and against the TOS. its perfectly ok to have different alts, to try out all the options. and sometimes its fun to just start a new alt, when you are tired of playing your high character.
    hopaqo wrote: »
    Anyone here have 2 or more Chars. I want to start more Chars and was wondering about Pros/Cons, were there any difficulties. Especially at Mid & Higher levels. Any difficulties levelling up.

How did you find it, and how is it working out now. I'm ofcourse talking about keeping all Chars active. Any tips?

Thx b:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • Asperitas - Lost City
    Asperitas - Lost City Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Me and my girlfriend run a cleric in addition to our main characters. With all the dailies now, it's really easy to level without really spending any real time on it. Just hit 30, do crazy stone until 40, then BH up to 79. For a cleric though, it does start getting a little bit more expensive, especially once you start hitting higher levels because you need to buy mp pots. Another thing is getting gear for them. Leaving them with npc gear is all nice and dandy, but it won't get you anywhere. Gotta at least smack half-decent stuff on them.

Despite all the costs of running a second character, I think it was really worth it to make a cleric. We run our own TT's now, with me, her, our cleric, my brother and my sister. No need to share mats or anything and it doesn't take forever.

Just my 2 cents.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FiDollaYou - Sanctuary
    FiDollaYou - Sanctuary Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    but you can only play one at a time-more than one is botting and against the TOS.

Not exactly. It's perfectly within the rules to play more than one character at a time, provided they are on different accounts AND on separate computers.
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    the way i heard it, that was considered to be a stretching of the rules-besides being hard to do! ^_^ i've had friends put a cleric on follow, to run their own instances, and it always sounded awkward. handy, but awkward.b:cute

Not exactly. It's perfectly within the rules to play more than one character at a time, provided they are on different accounts AND on separate computers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • FinalFatex - Harshlands
    FinalFatex - Harshlands Posts: 2,427 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I have two accounts on two different computers. I have a 92 veno on one and a 76 sin on the other. My old main being a veno, made it VERY easy to lvl up my sin because I could solo all my BH's every day without wasting wine or trying to find a group. Also I can put my sin on follow and take care of a "kill 75 of" quest in a few minutes. It is however quite costly to have two characters to buy skills and gear for.

The main problem I faced was the fact that doing both chars WQ, BH's and CS took up all my time and I never had time to do anything else, so I finally gave up on my veno and only user her to run my BH's.
    ~~Blood Red since 30~~
  • LifeHunting - Heavens Tear
    LifeHunting - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I got 8 characters total on the Heaven's Tear server, with a 9th character on Lost City Server.

I will let you know the following:

- Having more then 1 character can become difficult because of the gear, skills, spirit, and dailies to do.
    - lvling can be easy/hard depending on how often you play them and when you play them

Those are the main con's, i know there are others, but i just want to state the main ones.

Some pro's are:

- You can easily switch between characters to help a squad if they need a class, and nobody is offering help of that class.
    - easier to make squads full, quicker.
    - better to use your own character then waste time dealing with someone else's character

Now, the lvl of all my characters on Heaven's Tear are:
    BM - Main - lvl 73
    Venomancer - Main Alt (On hold w/ lvling till herc is gained) - lvl 28
    Psychic - 2nd Alt - lvl 16
    Cleric - 3rd Alt - lvl 16
    Archer - Alt - lvl 8
    Wizard - Alt - lvl 7
    Barb - Alt - lvl 4
    BM - Alt (when bored) - lvl 2

My only Character on Lost City is:

Assassin - Main (on Lost City) - lvl 30

As you can see, I mainly focus on the classes I know i can use on Heaven's Tear, while on Lost City I'm focusing on the only class I see as able to be safe while out in PK mode. (Thank you lord for Sin Stealth, and the cheats for it (MP Regen, MP Charm, etc)!!)

Money wise:

Heaven's Tear:
    Normal Income - 15 mil (if i buy and sell about 20 gold that week)
    Advance Income (time during packs/events/etc) - 20-25 mil

Lost City:
    Normal Income - 100k per hour (pure grinding and questing)
    Advance Income - N/A
  • Fallen_Grace - Dreamweaver
    Fallen_Grace - Dreamweaver Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    As others have stated it can be pretty taxing on your time and coin, that being said it can be a lot of fun. You learn other classes that way when you are in a squad you know others skills, their strengths and weaknesses. I myself have played all 8 classes however have settled on 5. Currently I have:
    • Archer - Lvl 89 Main
    • Barb - Lvl 83
    • Cleric - Lvl 79
    • Veno - Lvl 76
    • Psychic - Lvl 44

Having these alts makes it easier at times being the leader of my faction, if someone needs help from a specific class I can just switch. A lot of faction members have made comments about what level I could be right now if I only played one class, however what are the chances I would have quit already due to boredom from that one class.

The easiest thing I have found about having multiple chars is to just set goals for each to meet, and balance the game time between them to meet those goals. Also some classes make it easier for you to obtain things for your other char classes. ie - venos are great for making money, very small repair costs and little to no hp/mp pot expenses.

Look into the other classes and choose one, if after playing a bit you don't like it, stop playing it and delete nothing lost except a little time, besides you may just learn something about your fellow player's class you didn't know before.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BeingHope - Harshlands
    BeingHope - Harshlands Posts: 5,013 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    b:surrender Personally I have 25 characters on this account alone but besides this one I have about 3-4 more accounts.

If you're thinking about making a one man squad, aka just you in them, I don't recommend it honestly. Unless you make a veno and a cleric, and even then thats horrible, its not going to work out very well.

You can only play 1 character from 1 account on 1 computer. But if you have two computers, you can log into it with another account with another character from a different account. If you manage to log in on the same computer with two PWI clients, thats called multi-clienting which is prohibited by PWI.

Personally, I'd just recommend to focus on one character at a time but if you're up to the challenge, feel free to do more. Just try to stay on one computer with one character at a time..... Or you'll be working not 100%, but 50%, etc. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC]http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad175/beinghope/beinghopesiggie.png[/SIGPIC]
    I forgot!!! Thanks forsaken for the signature b:cute
    b:chuckle I love huge catshops LOL b:laugh
  • remnant89110
    remnant89110 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    venomancer and soon maybe a cleric.
  • Andromaka - Heavens Tear
    Andromaka - Heavens Tear Posts: 925 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Now, the lvl of all my characters on Heaven's Tear are:
    BM - Main - lvl 73
    Venomancer - Main Alt (On hold w/ lvling till herc is gained) - lvl 28
    Psychic - 2nd Alt - lvl 16
    Cleric - 3rd Alt - lvl 16
    Archer - Alt - lvl 8
    Wizard - Alt - lvl 7
    Barb - Alt - lvl 4
    BM - Alt (when bored) - lvl 2

I really dont understand how can u call a char < lvl 20-30 an alt. An alt is char you are currently working on and that reached a decent lvl like max 20 lvl lower then your main. You have 4 "alts" lvl <10 . Thats like 2-3 hours of play.
    Just my 2cents.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Damewort - Sanctuary
    Damewort - Sanctuary Posts: 573 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Leveling more than one character at the same time is rather time and money consuming, expecially, if you are studying or working.
    Other than bunch of characters around lvl30, I have two bigger ones:
    lvl100 veno (my main)
    lvl75 wizard (only for gamma)

Main two problems I faced when I tried to work with both were:
    1. TIME
    With my limited time I could only do BH on wizzy (maybe a quest or two) and BH on veno. And I even didnt do WQ on any of them. So more or less all I saw where BH caves and had time for instance runs only on weekends. And wizzy took most of my time as I was kinda bugged to power level her to gamma range too. I think I got 25lvls in less than 2 weeks (from lvl40-65).

2. MONEY
    As it was told already, it is hard to keep two characters well geared, upgraded on skills. Especially, if you try to level other character fast. Then it will lack money. After thinking a bit you realise that in the same time period, higher level character earns more money than lower level. So you might end spending more time on higher character to sponsor lower one...
    My veno needs end game gear which costs more than 100mil in summary. My wizzy needs "endgame gear" (TT80 gold) as she will never leave Gamma range and it costs around 18mil or so. Veno needs lot of demon skill upgrades... Wizzy has lot of skills waiting for update too...

And at one point you might start to think which is priority... Which to keep as "main" and which to keep as Secondary character... Unless you have enough free time to work with both characters equally.
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited May 2010
    Options
    the way i heard it, that was considered to be a stretching of the rules-besides being hard to do! ^_^ i've had friends put a cleric on follow, to run their own instances, and it always sounded awkward. handy, but awkward.b:cute

Yeah it can get interesting at times. But I've tanked 69 with my 80 barb while being the solo cleric. Takes a lot of coordination to run two keyboards like that, skill macros help a lot though. b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Here's my 2cents...

I've got my 2 mains...a 94barb and an 84 archer. The problem that I'm running into, since I have limited time to play (about 2.5hrs in the evenings) is that it's very difficult to do both WQ and accomplish anything else.

There are times when the only thing I can do is a TT run, or one WQ ... but the point is that with 2 or more characters being focused upon, there has to be compromise.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • Aya__ - Heavens Tear
    Aya__ - Heavens Tear Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    i had only one char for a long time, with mules to hold things for her. two months ago i made veno alt on different account, and i play her when i want a change of pace or when im doing wq on main and not using this time to do chores.
    its fun, after initial expense (max pet bag and max inventory) i dont use money on her at all (fash is borrowed from main and i dont plan on ever getting herc for her) but i still have to work on managing 2 comps efficiently... wq + quests is easy, 2 quests - not yet, mixed up mouses and keyboards few times and gotten poor kid and few her pets killed. main survived with just few charm ticks b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gotnks
    gotnks Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    You can only play 1 character from 1 account on 1 computer. But if you have two computers, you can log into it with another account with another character from a different account. If you manage to log in on the same computer with two PWI clients, thats called multi-clienting which is prohibited by PWI.

This is what confuses me...what is the difference between running 2 accounts on 1 comp vs 2 accts on 2 comps? The only difference is an extra computer...still the same single person running both of them for the same purpose. How can you allow one but not the other, AS LONG AS YOU MANUALLY CONTROL BOTH of them?

I was a Multiboxer over in WoW for a long time, between 2 and 5 accts at once on the same comp...it's not hard to do if you have a knack for multitasking and window placement, part of me would be tempted to try it here but if they prohibit it I dunno...as I said above, what's the difference between the two beyond the extra computer + hypocritical rule?
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    VlLKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    102 barb/101 cleric/98 archer/92 veno

Um... it's fun, but good luck getting getting good gear for a few chars if you get em high lvl...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Promivius - Dreamweaver
    Promivius - Dreamweaver Posts: 278 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    gotnks wrote: »
    This is what confuses me...what is the difference between running 2 accounts on 1 comp vs 2 accts on 2 comps? The only difference is an extra computer...still the same single person running both of them for the same purpose. How can you allow one but not the other, AS LONG AS YOU MANUALLY CONTROL BOTH of them?

I was a Multiboxer over in WoW for a long time, between 2 and 5 accts at once on the same comp...it's not hard to do if you have a knack for multitasking and window placement, part of me would be tempted to try it here but if they prohibit it I dunno...as I said above, what's the difference between the two beyond the extra computer + hypocritical rule?

I had a chat with "Eatwithspoons" about this a couple of weeks back when he still was a GM + tech-support.

It's a call made by "management" I guess. I even suggested virtualized hardware as "computer".. Got shut down too with little to no extra explanation.
    Note: for a virtual PC you still need a FULL legal version of some Win-OS if you want to run it legit.
    Still not comfortable with the term "computer" either. With the way thing are going I would call it a "device" as I for see running PWI on a smart-phone/iPad or slate-like "device" in the future too. This too past the review of tech-support/ex-GM Eatwithspoons.

To me a virtual PC is a full PC. I still comes with a MAC on its vNIC (which can be altered to emulate the MAC address from any hardware NIC vendor). You can even take steps to "hide" the signatures of the virtual hardware to make sure software sold with hardware locked licenses (handy if this software is no longer available but part of your legacy production environment when it's hardware component failed) keep working.
    I speak for myself. My opinions are my own.
    Assuming I speak for others is therefor void.
  • LifeHunting - Heavens Tear
    LifeHunting - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I really dont understand how can u call a char < lvl 20-30 an alt. An alt is char you are currently working on and that reached a decent lvl like max 20 lvl lower then your main. You have 4 "alts" lvl <10 . Thats like 2-3 hours of play.
    Just my 2cents.

I try to focus on my BM main.

Veno is for coin making in later levels.

Cleric.....well it's always nice to have a cleric alt >.>

The rest are just because I wanted to play with other classes and see what their like at later levels.
  • Ophida - Dreamweaver
    Ophida - Dreamweaver Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Once you learn the game on one character, it's relatively easy to level a second, third, fourth etc. I only really spend money on my main, and equip the alts with drops/hand-me-downs. Because I'm lazy, I'll list only one pro and one con.

Pro:
    More knowledge about different classes and dungeon tactics

Con:
    Time. Can't spend all day on all your characters. All the time you spend on your alt is time that you're not spending progressing your main.

As for me, I have my veno, a 72 archer and a 70 cleric worth noting. Others are level 40 or lower.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    tempest-dw.shivtr.com
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I currently have a 99 veno, 90 cleric, 82 barb, 72 blademaster and 65 wizard. I like playing alts because at higher levels after your 1-2 quests are done, there isn't a lot to do. Some dailies, and grinding... but then it is a refreshing change to try something different for awhile. I am also able to help my faction a lot with my barb and cleric, which I like. But it does cost you time-wise; I rarely do WQ on any character, and don't bother with Crazy Stone because it becomes costly at higher levels and I have to have money to keep all my characters in decent gear. Not too hard though; I am not a cash shopper or merchanter and I manage fine. But it does mean my main levels slower than a lot of people, as I don't fully concentrate on her.

I have actually tried all the classes, but these were the five I liked best. I have a couple others that I may pick up again in the future.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    i have nothing really useful to say here, i just want to post this funny picture.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    i have nothing really useful to say here, i just want to post this funny picture.

Adding to your post...Here is his entire set-up:

eve_multiboxing.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous