Cleric AOE grinding

Options
Arawin - Raging Tide
Arawin - Raging Tide Posts: 256 Arc User
edited July 2010 in Cleric
When I first read about cleric AOE grinding I had no clue how it was done. I made these two quick videos to show how to use purify/ironheart/razor to AOE grind poisen mobs as a cleric.

Hope it helps. =)

Killing the mobs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk-m783WuuM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4suCatmKfw

Gathering the mobs to AOE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEs40SpSAw4
Post edited by Arawin - Raging Tide on

Comments

• tukiyem
    tukiyem Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    nicely done, these videos give clear sight on how to do cleric AoE grinding.
  • DeathBanana - Heavens Tear
    DeathBanana - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,674 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Nice; Next time, shoot the gathering part, too. I find it the hardest :|
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9x Demon Cleric
  • Arawin - Raging Tide
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Nice; Next time, shoot the gathering part, too. I find it the hardest :|

I'll try to add a video showing the gathering. I've gotten decent at gathering ground based mobs, but I'm not really sure how to group them up for air based ones.
  • Arawin - Raging Tide
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Okay, added a 3rd video showing the gathering to the first post.

b:victory
  • StreamElf - Sanctuary
    StreamElf - Sanctuary Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    When i try to gather them they always walk away after some time (while i am still gathering)

For example, i'm on one side of the hill and when i fly to the other side to gather more mobs, the first ones reset..

So i'm clearly doing something wrong, but i have no clue what xD
    8x Cleric (Sanctuary)
    6x Veno (Sanctuary)
    5x Assasin (Harshlands)
    3x Archer (Sanctuary)
  • Roxiann - Heavens Tear
    Roxiann - Heavens Tear Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I found after a while that instead of flying in circles, if you drop and run around them it gathers them much quicker and easier too. For a long time I was flying around them which made it impossible to gather them. Thanx for the video.

To StreamElf, you need to stop once in a while to allow them to hit you or you'll lose aggro.
    Lvl 7x Cleric
    Lvl 3x Veno
    Lvl 3X Archer

Its just a game ^^
  • StreamElf - Sanctuary
    StreamElf - Sanctuary Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Thank you Roxiann =)

Now I'll finally be able to gather more than 3 xD Only need to work on getting them at the right place =)
    8x Cleric (Sanctuary)
    6x Veno (Sanctuary)
    5x Assasin (Harshlands)
    3x Archer (Sanctuary)
  • Torsay - Sanctuary
    Torsay - Sanctuary Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Notice that on the second vid you get lot more drops than on the other two because you put the mobs really close together before killing. Yeah took you a while but still worth it.

Nulify poison can help with that. Its pretty good skill if you are going for drops.

Nice job, keep it up.
  • Aya__ - Heavens Tear
    Aya__ - Heavens Tear Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    When i try to gather them they always walk away after some time (while i am still gathering)

For example, i'm on one side of the hill and when i fly to the other side to gather more mobs, the first ones reset..

So i'm clearly doing something wrong, but i have no clue what xD
    if you want to keep aggro let mobs you gather hit you from time to time, and heal yourself. as long as you dont run too far they will keep following you. i fly near mob, aggro it, fly away a little, stop and ih, fly to next group, aggro, ih, and so on and so on, until i have as many as i want. yes, that method is much slower than bms quick run on cloudsprint, but you can gather amount no single bm can hold and survive b:chuckle
    aoe grinding cleric, holding by himself a boiling mass of mobs looks awesome b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Roxiann - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2010
    Options
    A little advice. When rounding up the mobs from the ground, you should sort of pull away from them, giving a little distance. It should take half to maybe 1 full circle around them (if their really being stubborn) to get them together. I think in your last video you were too close to the mobs which is why it took longer to get them close together.

I usually go around to pick them up, and once I have the amount I want I drop and run usually half to maybe a full circle around them and that is usually all I need. I would make a video to give an example but I'm too lazy to right now, too much work :P.

Still nice videos, and answers a lot of questions. Good Quality too, you can actually see whats going on.

Edit: Ah I didn't watch your last video, much better rounding up. I just saw your second video and seemed like you were having problems rounding them up. I take back my advice ^^. Well done, nice job!
    Lvl 7x Cleric
    Lvl 3x Veno
    Lvl 3X Archer

Its just a game ^^
  • LeLelle - Sanctuary
    LeLelle - Sanctuary Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    @OP: I see your avatar is level 71. I have a few questions.

Are you just starting out with your grinding (@ low 70s)?

If not, what level did you start?

Have you tried arial grinding?

For anyone who can provide advice for the next questions-

Im 56 now and did some 'for real' ginding. I completed a quest with a bunch of vipions in it. I died once when I got my mob count a little high.

At 55 I started practicing on the floating lanterns around mount lantern.

I saw a video on youtube of someone giniding, and they were chastised for using AOE techniques at an early level. Is there any hard and fast rule where a cleric should start AOE grinding?

From what I know now, I believe I can say that a person needs wings, IH, Purify, and Razor Feathers maxed. When they have these things, they are ready to go ginding. Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks.
  • Magicgabe - Lost City
    Magicgabe - Lost City Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Here are are some tips for AOE grinding for the OP.

1) get more mobs ( ie. 15-25)
    2) use less ironheart, more wellspring, and purify
    3) there's a causeway near village of lost;pull the mobs into the causeway that way you don't have to pull the mobs into a circle.
    4) use tempest
    5) get cloud eruption
    and bro...fyi this isn't a story.

All people are idiodic but some are more idiotic than others.
  • Roxiann - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Here are are some tips for AOE grinding for the OP.

1) get more mobs ( ie. 15-25)
    2) use less ironheart, more wellspring, and purify
    3) there's a causeway near village of lost;pull the mobs into the causeway that way you don't have to pull the mobs into a circle.
    4) use tempest
    5) get cloud eruption

I agree with everything you said here except wellspring? Wellspring is useless in aoe grinding unless your hp drops really low. As soon as you cast a wellspring your hp starts dropping again. IH stays stacked and keeps continueing to heal while your picking up more/aoe grinding. Your being poisoned over time, you want a heal over time.

I had to look up what a causeway was lol. I don't remember seeing anything like that, I'll have to look for that next time I'm grinding.
    Lvl 7x Cleric
    Lvl 3x Veno
    Lvl 3X Archer

Its just a game ^^
  • Shealu - Heavens Tear
    Shealu - Heavens Tear Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Meh eh eh, my favorite hobby as a cleric :P

Some tips for cleric aoe grinding:

* get nulify poison on your genie, it s cheap to get and use/ you might like cloud eruption for chi too.

* to gather the mob :
    1- just run/fly towards them wait till they aggro you run to another group, don t run too fast, let them hit you from time to time, if they don t hit u they ll reset.

2- once you got enough they ll most likely be all around not well gathered enough to do an efficient aoe, just look where are the most of them try to stand close of this group while being out of range of the one you want to gather with them. This way the group won t move and the other will come into the group to be able to attack you.

* don t spam too many IH and puri, usualy 3 spammed IH max is way enough, you can gather a lot of mobs so don t be shy take the whole map b:laugh

* Try not to use siren's kiss if it s not at a decent lvl, it ll use up your chi and you need it for puri, so another piece of advice is to sometimes take a look at your chi.

* puri when poison realy start to stack not before (around 1k dmg usualy), and after each aoe in general except if u have good channeling gear or low hp.

* to save repair bill you can try to find gear with high wood resist and many +% duration/endurance, you can get that for cheap as you don t even need the other mag res.

Now a last piece of advice, if you just start with aoe grinding start with low amount of mobs, and when you feel at ease start to take more and more. The best aoe spot for petali (70 one i think) is on south of dreaming cloud / south east of tusk town by the edge of the continent.

Last word i can say is enjoy, you can pm me on forum if you want to know about higher lvl mob to grind on etc b:bye
  • Arawin - Raging Tide
    edited May 2010
    Options
    How exactly do you gather up flying mobs? Mobility seems so much less and harder to control while flying, so I don't really see how to go about it.
  • LeLelle - Sanctuary
    LeLelle - Sanctuary Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    How exactly do you gather up flying mobs? Mobility seems so much less and harder to control while flying, so I don't really see how to go about it.

Yes, you are slower, but so are the mobs. Vipions seem perfect for arial grinding. I tried Foxwings, but they lost interest quickly. Maybe i wasn't hitting them properly, or often enough.

To me, the slow-motion scenario is perfect for practicing and training. Also, IIRC there is 2X bonus to kills in the air? It is the cleric way.

Clerics do it in the air.
  • threepointone
    threepointone Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Also, IIRC there is 2X bonus to kills in the air?

I believe it is the 1.5 EXP multiplier to air and water mobs you are talking about.
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    VlLKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Hm were threads on this before.
    However, here's a vid:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYZeyF73iW8

It's old but still qualifies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Arawin - Raging Tide
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Yeah, I've searched some previous threads, but most were just brief descriptions, I was hoping to get some videos spread about since they paint a much clearer picture. =)
  • mub
    mub Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    haha thx guys now i'm pro at aoe grinding b:victory i can actually teach other now xD
  • ACLucius - Archosaur
    ACLucius - Archosaur Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Strangely it is not hard to catch on to. It is also much easier with Cleric since your heals can keep your health up and Purify does wonders. I've been applying AoE to the Hexweb mobs on Dawn's Cry, and the only problem so far is that the water seems to steal my drops. b:shocked

Still, a very good set of videos. Thanks for the lessons! b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Didn't get the rest of it, but apparently I am the "destroyer of sin haters" as well.
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    And a few other tips:

-Healing while gathering mobs will get you very firm aggro (mobs will generally follow you everywhere after 4-5 IH).

-If you have hyper stones, activate them just before you start your killing blow. It only costs you 5 seconds of time and gets you 1-2% a round at 8X, resulting in 10-20% a day. A good alternative for hyper FF.

-Gathering mobs while makes it a little faster. Even with +3.2 ms wings you won't lose aggro if you periodically heal yourself.

-Mobs generally form a long wall in front of you when you gathered them all up, usually spreading outside of you AOE range. Running around them to the other side usually rolls them up in a nice pack.

-Doing a combo of ''razor > purify > 2-3 IH >purify > repeat'' is generally the safest and won't even let your charm tick if you have decent mag res (didn't even need a wood res set myself).

-KEEP TRACK OF YOUR M. DEF BUFF. Since it doesn't overwrite you will have to note when you last buffed yourself. Having it run out in the middle of 25 mobs isn't exactly nice.

-Gathering while mounted is a bad idea. You can't heal yourself so mobs won't follow you very far + you move so fast that they will reset often.

-Lure mobs to a quiet place. This will help when gathering drops. 9 out of 10 times you will be left with a few increased life mobs you need to finish off, leaving you with no time to gather drops before they respawn.

-Don't panic when you get hit for a huge poison tick. The damage from multiple poison mobs is very irregular and a big poison hit is almost always followed by a small one (still make sure too purify, though).

Doing it like this requires nothing more than equipment and a full MP bar. Before AoEing started to give rather dissappointing rewards for me I could do rounds of the lvl 85 cadevils with just full sparks and only rarely using an mp potion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Pale - Sanctuary
    _Pale - Sanctuary Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    ... i fly near mob, aggro it, fly away a little, stop and ih, fly to next group, aggro, ih, and so on and so on, until i have as many as i want. yes, that method is much slower than bms quick run on cloudsprint, but you can gather amount no single bm can hold and survive...

Not exactly true, ( but yeah he hates poison mobs... )
    Not for melee mobs at least. Some wood mobs mostly do melee damage, like some spiders. I sometimes AOE grind with a BM. He gathers about 10 spiders by running around, throws a AOE, I throw in tempest and razor feathers. Mostly 75%- 90 is dead then. Much faster and safer then then solo AOE grinding.
    I'm not there to make you survive in PWI, that's your job
    ** expected fail squad: express rule of thumb "you die by stupidity, you go to town" **
    ~Sanctuary~Cleric/Archer/Veno~Audeamus/Enelysion
  • Lamotrigine - Dreamweaver
    Lamotrigine - Dreamweaver Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I was kinda puzzled too b:thanks I'm a noob and was confused on how a cleric could aoe with low vit