Thoughts about Forsaken World ?

Risingson - Lost City
Risingson - Lost City Posts: 499 Arc User
edited May 2010 in General Discussion
I don't know if this question has been asked here before, and I am aware of the fact that this is already being discussed on Forsaken World's forums, but I feel like a bigger audience is ready to answer the question on the very active forum that is PWI's.

I quit playing PWI a while ago, probably about 4 months or so, mostly because I got to the point where the game bored me (after 3 months of very intensive nerding might I add xD) and I just failed to find enough reasons for me to keep playing. However, and while I am currently unable to start playing again (otherwise I would, trust me), I do miss the game. Things that bothered me with PWI still haven't disappeared tho, it actually seems like they have grown bigger. I'm mainly talking about cash-shopping issues on PVP servers here. Anyway.

Even with the problem of heavy cashshoppers, I always did find that PWI was a very neat game, and probably one of the most accomplished ones, so I found myself lurking on those forums again. Those very forums brought me to the brand new game PWE is currently developping : Forsaken World. Now, a lot of people seem to believe that this game is basically going to be a PWI 2.0, I'd like opinions from more players.

I did some browsing, and it seems like FW is setting itself up to counter heavy gold farmers and therefore cashshoppers with a whole new currency that is designed to be earned only with good old grinding. According to the descriptions on the website, this currency will be used to buy skills, equipments and so forth, and is presented to be the at the center of the game's economy, thus preventing cashshoppers from litterally buying their way to the top with little to no effort by just ignoring grinding and actual playing of the early stages of the game.

Now, knowing the way PWE does things and how they work, I myself think they will implement some way to buy the new currency in the Cash Shop after a certain time of the game existing has passed, but who knows, I'm still hopping. This might be a cool game. This might be, oh sweet sweet dream, a PWI who wouldn't rely on the wealth of some gamers to determinate the very highest and unreachable spheres of the game. But, and if that actually does happen, PWE would have to find another way to earn money with that game, and my guess would be Fashion.

So, to sum that big fat post up, my question is : do you guys believe FW could be a PWI with no cashshoppers, and if so, what possible ways would there be for PWE to earn money through the game ? Would it actually be better if the Cash Shop was selling completely different stuff ? Would it be worse ? What could PWE do to get around that and satisfy both their needs and their clients/players ? How much of you guys plan on playing FW ?

Thoughts ?

PS : mods, if you do feel like this doesn't belong here, feel free to move it and accept my apologies, but please don't close it.
Risingson - 7x Psychic
Indalecio - 3x Cleric
Post edited by Risingson - Lost City on

Comments

• Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Pretty sure that FW will not be as known as PWI, and be forgotten about as fast as it was announced. PWI just got lucky and had (and still has) plenty of players. I don't think that will happen again in any other PWE's games.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Well i am just waiting until the game finish open beta (which still unknown), then we will found out later.

I am someone who actively collect thread .. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • Risingson - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    Pretty sure that FW will not be as known as PWI, and be forgotten about as fast as it was announced. PWI just got lucky and had (and still has) plenty of players. I don't think that will happen again in any other PWE's games.

Why ? I hardly think the success of PWI is mostly based on luck.
    Risingson - 7x Psychic
    Indalecio - 3x Cleric
  • Sacredxstar - Heavens Tear
    Sacredxstar - Heavens Tear Posts: 916 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Most of the gamers who just "found" PWE's PWi game over a year and a half ago have come to realize PWE's devs don't really care. They may at first but over time you realize they care more about the wads of cash they make from players like us. Also for this reason, some of my friends who are looking for new games are looking for ones that are not made by PWE.
    I call it how I see it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thanks Santacruz! :D
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    Why ? I hardly think the success of PWI is mostly based on luck.

It's also based on luck. The other reason is the fact that PWI has been around so long and there was also PW MY-EN. MY-EN got popular because there just wasn't too many F2P games in the Western world (in Western languages, that is), like there are now.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited May 2010

Even with the problem of heavy cashshoppers..............

So, to sum that big fat post up, my question is : do you guys believe FW could be a PWI with no cashshoppers, and if so, what possible ways would there be for PWE to earn money through the game ? .

I dont think the issue in PWI is gold prices or cash shoppers (I used to believe that too). The issue in PWI is lack of content after you reach certain level (this level is different for every one, for me it was around level 80).

In FTP games you need to find a way to motivate people to spend real cash, if you fail on that, you failed as developer. Developers had to worry about making fun games before but now they need to worry about making them protitable by people spending money in the game.

I bought a very popular game last Friday ($50 canadian) and I was surprised that even though the game is not an MMORG (single RPG), they still offer you "side quests" and "item mall stuff" for real cash. b:shocked So, there you go.
  • Risingson - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    It's also based on luck. The other reason is the fact that PWI has been around so long and there was also PW MY-EN. MY-EN got popular because there just wasn't too many F2P games in the Western world (in Western languages, that is), like there are now.

So you believe that the success of PWI is merely a giant coincidence ? xD

@Granrey, I beg to differ. As I agree with you on the fact that the main goal of a FTP game is to find ways to attract their players to put cash into the game, I don't think the content disappears when you reach high levels. I'm pretty sure the main content for high levels sits in Territory Wars and such. Although, it is true that it's probably not enough, but I believe it would be a lot more entertaining if there wasn't such a huge gap between cashshoppers and non-cashshoppers. In a way, I think TWs are sort of the ultimate experience for a MMORPG player, seeing as he works hard, using quests and instances to level up, and once he reaches that level, he can start dealing with the real stuff. That's the way I see it anyway.
    Risingson - 7x Psychic
    Indalecio - 3x Cleric
  • TheUnjudged - Heavens Tear
    TheUnjudged - Heavens Tear Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Battle of Immortals is also built anti cashshopping, if FW is that way then look at BoI now. and Trust me me, BoI is in damn good shape as in reference to economy compared to PWI b:cute
  • Risingson - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    Battle of Immortals is also built anti cashshopping, if FW is that way then look at BoI now. and Trust me me, BoI is in damn good shape as in reference to economy compared to PWI b:cute

I'm currently not a home and I don't have a setup that would allow me to download BoI, can you elaborate on that please ?
    Risingson - 7x Psychic
    Indalecio - 3x Cleric
  • TheUnjudged - Heavens Tear
    TheUnjudged - Heavens Tear Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    BoI's cash shop is set up to be more anti "purchase your power". The Cash Shop is mainly used for fashion and pet enhancement (good thing everyone can have a Pet, I have an Armored bear and almost all of my Soul Gear b:victory). So if you absolutely loved Cash Shopping bear in mind that you're only getting fashion,mounts,and Pet enhancement items (They really don't make a difference anyway, because your Pet can be higher lvled than you, as long as the summon level is about or lower than you are. I have a lvl 89 armored Bear and I'm lvl 54 so enhancements only are for the Pet Rankings in the game and Bragging Rights). Cash Shop is also balanced thanks to coin being easier to obtain with you Knight's Jail daily,and Trial of the Brave. b:victory
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I think what makes PW success is because of character customization and flying.
    (how many mmo has those features when PW first come out ?)

Even FW doesn't have the customization like PW and flying existence is still unknown but seem exist in future.

Some unique things on FW :
    1. Flying castle base
    Basically there so many flying bases exist in FW world and guilds wars is happen on the sky.

2. Weapon can evolve (if not wrong) need certain item to upgrade.

3. Everyone can have pet and almost all mob can become a pet
    not just for look or help attacking, you can also combine special skill of certain pet with another pet or clone them

4. When upgrading, failed upgrade won't reset the plus status.

5. Improved ai mob. (since i haven't playing can't really tell)

6. Manufacture is very important here and seem rewarding compared to PW.

7. Tittle system, reputation system, arc system.

8. Soul PK system. (your target can drop soul each time attacked. The soul boost your performance if you take it, the enemy can do the same to you.)

9. We can see our helm !!

10 . Instances that seem interactive not just asking you to kill mobs but puzzle and questions.
    *(even completely without mobs)

11. FW world goes toward western culture.

Eh there seem a lot more but i have to do something else .. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • RainbowVidel - Sanctuary
    RainbowVidel - Sanctuary Posts: 1,316 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    The discussion of other mmorpg's is not permitted on PWI forums, including those made by PWE.
  • Risingson - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    The discussion of other mmorpg's is not permitted on PWI forums, including those made by PWE.

Seriously ? If so, and as I mentionned on the PS of my first post, I apologize and would accept it if my topic got moved, but I gotta say, I don't really understand the logic of that rule. Shouldn't PWE be glad if one is kind of advertising for one of their upcoming products ?
    Risingson - 7x Psychic
    Indalecio - 3x Cleric
  • Darksylph - Heavens Tear
    Darksylph - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,816 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    BoI's cash shop is set up to be more anti "purchase your power". The Cash Shop is mainly used for fashion and pet enhancement (good thing everyone can have a Pet, I have an Armored bear and almost all of my Soul Gear b:victory). So if you absolutely loved Cash Shopping bear in mind that you're only getting fashion,mounts,and Pet enhancement items (They really don't make a difference anyway, because your Pet can be higher lvled than you, as long as the summon level is about or lower than you are. I have a lvl 89 armored Bear and I'm lvl 54 so enhancements only are for the Pet Rankings in the game and Bragging Rights). Cash Shop is also balanced thanks to coin being easier to obtain with you Knight's Jail daily,and Trial of the Brave. b:victory

PWI was anti-Cashshopping for a good while. For those who havent played long enough, there was indeed a time where you could earn decent money grinding or TTing. The profits were higher & the value of CS-gold was lower. Not only that, but there was NO end-game items in the cash shop. Many who started playing before the big apocalypse (read: Anniversary) liked this game for the same reason you're saying about BoI. In fact, the cash shop in PWI used to be easily summarized very similarly to how you summarize it for BoI; It was basically Flyers, ground Mounts, & Fashion. Dragon Orbs was the only upgrades really at that point (and i believe similar items exist in BoIs marketplace) as well as storage upgrades. Hell BoIs marketplace is practically the early PW Boutique (different names, and no flyers in BoI, but instead pet upgrade stuff).

Unfortunately, i expect BoI to eventually succumb to the same thing PWI did, once the player base is large enough, and there are sufficient end-gamers to attract a draw in the market, PWE will slowly move to placing a heavier emphasis on the Cash shop, just as they did in PWI. I also forsee the same path being taken on FW. Early on it'll be a great non-CS game, and will slowly move the way PWI did.

Final thoughts; Get in early, enjoy the game, but be prepared for its eventual economic & CS-based destruction.
  • RainbowVidel - Sanctuary
    RainbowVidel - Sanctuary Posts: 1,316 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I don't really understand the logic of that rule

I don't either but it's true.
    19. No discussion about competing MMORPG's (including other versions of PW) and other similar games on these boards.
    Source: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=667911&postcount=2
  • Korsov - Heavens Tear
    Korsov - Heavens Tear Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I could be way wrong, but I'm not sure that FW counts as a "competing MMORPG" since it's made by PWE and it is certainly not a different version of PW (that would pertain to talking about the Malaysian version on our forums.)
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    So you believe that the success of PWI is merely a giant coincidence ? xD

In a way, yes. The biggest thing PW had that FW doesn't is the fact that it was an old game when it first started here. What I mean is that there are no Asian players saying it's a great game to Western people who they happen to know. When PW MY was launched, many Asian players told us it's a great game, and then we just spread the information around the web and bam, it was a successful game with plenty of players. Some of them moved to here, told more people about it and that's about it.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I dont think the issue in PWI is gold prices or cash shoppers (I used to believe that too). The issue in PWI is lack of content after you reach certain level (this level is different for every one, for me it was around level 80).

^ This 100%

I could be way wrong, but I'm not sure that FW counts as a "competing MMORPG" since it's made by PWE and it is certainly not a different version of PW (that would pertain to talking about the Malaysian version on our forums.)

^ This.

If I remember right, it has been mentioned before but I think that generally it would belong in the Off-Topic section of the forums.

*might try to search for where that was said*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Risingson - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    RedsRose! Since you're 100+ and you're on LC, I got a question for you. You agree with Granrey about the lack of content for higher levels, but isn't TW, PvP and such enough to entertain you once you've reached a high level and once you have a good gear, all of which you obtained by doing quests and completing the early stages of the game ?

Isn't this what you were looking forward to ? My point is, that is what attracts me in a MMORPG, but, because of the cashshopping, it is very hard to be competitive without spending loads of cash like most very high levels do. And I think that, if players weren't able to "buy their power" like another guy said earlier, well PvP and TW would be much more entertaining because there would be way more competition, and it's always more fun when you have to really fight for something.

Then again, quests and such shouldn't end because you're high level, so I guess there is a problem. But as I said, I really think of quests and grinding as a preparation for the endgame.
    Risingson - 7x Psychic
    Indalecio - 3x Cleric
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    RedsRose! Since you're 100+ and you're on LC, I got a question for you. You agree with Granrey about the lack of content for higher levels, but isn't TW, PvP and such enough to entertain you once you've reached a high level and once you have a good gear, all of which you obtained by doing quests and completing the early stages of the game .

I have done all but about 10 quests available to me (some you cannot complete).

At 100+ your day in-game can consist of:

1) BH
    2) Farming (HH or Nirvana)
    3) Guild World Bosses
    4) Farming
    5) Standing afk somewhere tabbed out
    6) Farming

PvP in LC is pretty much dead...
    TW is meh, can be give or take...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Risingson - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    I have done all but about 10 quests available to me (some you cannot complete).

At 100+ your day in-game can consist of:

1) BH
    2) Farming (HH or Nirvana)
    3) Guild World Bosses
    4) Farming
    5) Standing afk somewhere tabbed out
    6) Farming

PvP in LC is pretty much dead...
    TW is meh, can be give or take...

And why is PvP dead in LC ?
    Risingson - 7x Psychic
    Indalecio - 3x Cleric
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    And why is PvP dead in LC ?

For a few reasons:

1) The game is now all instance work = all areas dead
    2) You rpk someone they QQQQQQQQ/send tickets/etc = people "scared"
    3) Both minor and major guilds alike are not rpk...I should not have to explain this
    4) etc
    5) etc
    6) etc

To be honest, number one and two are primary imo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Risingson - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    Back when I was playing, there were a few RPKing factions, such as Warriors or FinalOath. I believe Ruthless members used to rpk a bit too. Does that not exist anymore ? Has LC really become that boring ? :|

I'm disappointed.
    Risingson - 7x Psychic
    Indalecio - 3x Cleric
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    Has LC really become that boring ? :|

I'm disappointed.

Yes

and

Yes

b:chuckle

It has SOME moments...but overall...and even more so with 2x.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• konariraiden
    konariraiden Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Sorry, gang, but talking about other MMO's (even ones licensed by PWE) isn't really allowed here. You'll have to take it to that game's forum, instead. Sorries.

b:shy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I present to you the winner of Konari's Signature Contest...SilversMoon from Heaven's Tear!
This discussion has been closed.