Frost - charm or no charm?

buttercupcruella
buttercupcruella Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2010 in Barbarian
I'd like to know how many of you use a charm for frost runs and how many of you don't. I'd also would like to know your argumentation. b:thanks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by buttercupcruella on

Comments

• LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I havent done Frost with my barb. But, with my veno, I never did understand why barbs need a charm in frost. Bosses sometimes auto tick your charm, making it a waste. There really is no need for a charm in frost.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • GG_BIG_Y - Sanctuary
    GG_BIG_Y - Sanctuary Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    If u have a min of 11k hp in tiger then i really dont c the need to use a charm. the usage of charm mostly depends on how good ur cleric normaly is, so if u trust ur cleric then there is no need for charmb:chuckle. I normally do frost runs with in faction or with friends so I kown my clerics very well hence i have never had a problem with not using a charm b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cybetron - Harshlands
    Cybetron - Harshlands Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    During the learning stages, a barb may need a charm to avoid death when he forgets to wait for chi to use invoke or roar is on cooldown and he has to kite the mobs (has seen it happen a few times).. Other than the initial 2 or 3 runs if a barb has a decent amount of HP, skill/reflexes and a decent cleric he wouldn't need a charm in FC..
  • EmptyWords - Heavens Tear
    EmptyWords - Heavens Tear Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    In FF charm is a waste of money cause it will tick a lot.
    I never used a charm during FF runs.

b:bye
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    No reason to use a charm at all.

When gathering mobs, have full spark bar, sunder, use roar, frighten, + bestial rage to keep chi flowing, invoke if losing too much hp. By the time you get back to BB your roar should be reset or use alpha male to avoid cleric getting "heal" aggro.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • Redmenace - Heavens Tear
    Redmenace - Heavens Tear Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I always equip a charm. I don't usually tick in Frost, but it's there for safety.

My job in frost is to use my sparks for aggro and damage, not to save my own butt. Most of my sparks go to sunder and arma. I have to save my own hide to keep aggro, and to kill things.

Your milage may vary.

RedMenace

\inb4 "only n00bs use charms l0l"
    \\done care how you do it, just kill things faster
    \\\I *will* kill things faster, BTW
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Pure_Black - Harshlands
    Pure_Black - Harshlands Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I always equip a charm. I don't usually tick in Frost, but it's there for safety.

My job in frost is to use my sparks for aggro and damage, not to save my own butt. Most of my sparks go to sunder and arma. I have to save my own hide to keep aggro, and to kill things.

Your milage may vary.

RedMenace

I really lol'ed at this one. A charm in FC and you actually listen to noobs that make you arma?

\Inb4 the "only noobs use armageddon in PVE"
    \\don't care how you do it, i get hit and you kill faster
    \\\I will *NOT* kill things faster, that's your stupid job you nab
  • Crazy__erik - Heavens Tear
    Crazy__erik - Heavens Tear Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited May 2010

Your milage may vary.

RedMenace

I agree 100% Red...safety only. Every Barb here has had to run Rankar, Nob etc around while the cleric throws a res cause the new person in the group decided to see want would happen if the killed a "hit me, Hit me" guy.
    You always know what YOU are doing, but predicting and preparing for a Leeroy isn't a bad idea.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    Traz - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Never used a charm in FC and I never intend too. I rarely die as it is so wasting coins on that instead of getting hypers for it is pointless.
    BladedZero - Sanctuary
    "Also I don't think actually playing through the game helps your skill either."

-And we wonder why this game has gone to hell b:cute
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Huge waste of coins. I've never used a charm in FC before and I've never needed it. I've even had to tank the boss before heads before without a cleric, just running around the room using the occasional event pot while I wait for people to res cause someone missed a head or something.

When I do FC which is pretty rare, I use like 10 event HP pots and some stamina, all I've ever needed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Domenic - Dreamweaver
    Domenic - Dreamweaver Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    i sometimes have charms on during Fc and it is a waste the only mobs that give me a hard time is the magic mob hallway i usually just pull half of that just have some hp food if the cleric is late to heal and u should be good.
  • PlumDumb - Heavens Tear
    PlumDumb - Heavens Tear Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    hell ive done frost on my bm with no tank..(i was the tank)..anyways i havent used an hp charm since lvl 89-90..teamwork is what i thrive and rely on.OMG i said teamwork im gonna get bannedb:cry
  • Domenic - Dreamweaver
    Domenic - Dreamweaver Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    QQQQ i had a charm on in fc for pk i lost600k-700k on plat charm by auto tics its not worth it
  • DangerField - Dreamweaver
    DangerField - Dreamweaver Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Agreed a charm in FC is an absolute waste.

However you can get by with just a few ticks. Pulling should be doable with a pot here and there. The main problem is the bosses that takes around 50% hp on aoe. These bosses can all be cancelled. The last boss can be hard to get all but around 80% id say. This is a lot easier with earthquake on genie. That way you can also cancel if herc tank. The key to cancel is looking in common chat and when boss say certain things they will aoe. Some bosses with a few secs delay.
  • WnbTank - Archosaur
    WnbTank - Archosaur Posts: 1,472 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I used charm pre 90 and have one equipped from TW. I tick worth ~20k per run, if I run with friends, more if with random ppl. Reason why I didn`t feel like going w/o charm pre 90 was that I totally rushed 75->90, therefore my armor was not even nearly up to date, even on 7x, let alone when I did hit 90. But now I equip charm for TW, I kinda fail to see point burning it in TT so I rather FC with it as I can`t find better use for it.

Ps. My problem is bad connection aka I take hits while running when I pull, charm helps me to overcome any risk of dieing. I just don`t feel like risking clerics 4% xp for max 50k coins I save per run going uncharmed.
    Trolling Sid since So Hot :o