genies took out the role of the classes??

Yulk - Heavens Tear
Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
edited May 2010 in General Discussion
All this genie hype makes the game easier to play or what? I am not even sure.

But what I do know is that zeal genies killed a role of a venomancer or a really good puller.

I do use genie skills too, but not all that much. But is it really true???
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
Post edited by Yulk - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Dominatiger - Sanctuary
    Dominatiger - Sanctuary Posts: 1,066 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Venos for me are just another DD.

Sure venos can have herc but remember that every boss veno+herc can tank so cleric+barb can do as well and better.

I always say this to everyone and its the truth:

Barb and cleric work the others just come along.
    Happy Sauce face

ಪ_ಪ
    Manufactured by Konariraiden
  • Waterfal - Sanctuary
    Waterfal - Sanctuary Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I don't think so tbh.
    It's just annoying sometimes because usually the veno knows what mobs run or not. (at least I do) and you make sure those are pulled last.
    Also it's safer when a veno lures. I've seen times ppl run close to a group of mobs to lure 1 and take them all back with them. . .
    I don't really mind other ppl luring normal mobs. but when it's not pole or nob. I lure the boss...( I check if everyone has full hp/mp and check if everyone is ready) if the barb or any other class does. I tell them that I'm the lurer >_> and that they should let me do my job at least at the boss then. They usually agree on that b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvychar for the awesome sig :3

Characters:
    waterfal - lvl 90 demon ferrari veno
    Hazumi_chan - lvl 9x sage seeker
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    They still have bramble which can do a ton of damage in TT and make holding aggro a lot easier. They have purge for bosses like ape and ancient evil. Pet + veno attacking in TT is like having 2 DDs for the price of one. And they can pull from a greater distance which is useful in some cases like on wurlord.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited May 2010

Sure venos can have herc but remember that every boss veno+herc can tank so cleric+barb can do as well and better.

Yeap.We need our furry pets to as well to do the tanking in which we provide great healing to.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Ranchdressin - Heavens Tear
    Ranchdressin - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2010

Yea GL DDing that boss w/ only a barb hitting it. b:chuckle
  • Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    Slivaf - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,106 Arc User
    edited May 2010

Indeed barbs are the undisputed champs of tanking, and clerics, healing, however, sometimes imo it could very well be vice versa too, hercs/veno's (pre-90) do one hell of a job of tanking most bosses, without too much aggro tag. (switching of aggro) A veno's pet hits full damage on the bosses, while it's true 2 people out-damage the damage of one mob, it is still less costly on the barb/cleric for a veno to tank.

/end off topic... ish

I really don't think that the genies have truly ruined the roll of any class in game, they just made it more plausible to do things without a barb or cleric, which was doable even before genies. Genies are just the icing on the cake that makes it more... fun to eat... err easier to complete something without a specific class there, doing all or most of the work.

As a blademaster I know how much we struggled to hold aggro compared to a barb, or even a herc veno, and genies has made it so much easier to do so. Yes we could in the past, with the right skills, DD's holding back long enough to ensure they don't pull aggro and cause a wipe, and other unseen variables, like dc's, etc. =x

Guess it really depends on the squad, people are impatient these days, some feel a veno's pet takes too long to run up, and pull a mob away, which is way safer btw, I have had a zeal genie pull more then one mob before. =x

Genies just make it easier/faster to start a quad with make shift tanks, clerics, etc, but it is still far simpler/safer to find the classes who can do it without a genie. Though others classes will suffice with or without the genie just fine, just depends on the controller of the character.
    Ah, Mistakes are so easily made. ~ laura resnick

What kind of message are you sending when you insult my intelligence? ~ Me ~ 5/29/2015 (Yes it is possible someone said this before just no idea who/where.)
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    what about archer's sharpened tooth arrow vs ice blast?

Or Barb's alacrity vs earthquake?

and all that other skills so similar
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Yea GL DDing that boss w/ only a barb hitting it. b:chuckle

Seriously, I say all DDs boycott partying with that guy for a week.

Watch him come crawling back after he realizes his repair costs are skyrocketing and the time it takes him to kill a boss is unbelievable.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • axt57
    axt57 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2010

lol no.

A herc can tank all 1-x bosses, most 2-x bosses (inc wurlord if you have earthquake) and some 3-x bosses far better than a similar level barb. A high level herc with blessing (+HP) and a well equiped experienced veno can tank most 3-3 bosses. 2 herc venos can most likely out-tank any similar level barb/cleric duo on pretty much any normal boss, including bosses which amp/debuff.

And a veno is not just "another DD" - they can amp (better than EP), give sparks (the number of party wipes avoided by giving cleric sparks for BB - lost count), purge, demon venos have arguably the best AoE skill in the game and they buff with bramble. Their pull is also a lot more reliable and free, provided the veno is not an idiot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited May 2010

Enjoy your repair costs duoing a high lvl TT with just cleric and barb. You need DD's to get anything done in a resonable timeframe

PS.
    Genie.... hype? They'v been out for like a year now, where do you get that they are a hype?
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • _vincent - Dreamweaver
    _vincent - Dreamweaver Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Genies have good skills, but they do not replace the role of a class.

Genie vs Veno

-Pulling. Sure, a genie can pull, but a Veno can undoubtedly pull better and is safer.

-Amping. Yea, Extreme Poison and the Veno's Amp skill are very similar, but using extreme poison sucks out stamina out while a veno can DD and use their Amp skill.

-Chi Skill. Cloud Eruption gives a spark and then some but once again, it costs stamina.

-Reflect Buff -> Venos

Summary: Unless you have a lot of Stamina in your genie that you could care less about, a Veno as a member of your party is better in my opinion.

Genie vs Archer

-The -HP% skill. Yep, Genies get this too but Archers can DD and make bosses go faster. Don't think genies can DD efficiently.

Not saying that Genie's are bad, but they're more of a way to make things easier. The core classes are still needed (tank, healer, DDers, and pullers) and genie's can't replace them. Skills like Alpha Male, Tree of Protection, and Holy Path are useful but do not replace the entire of a class.
  • Fruitluips - Lost City
    Fruitluips - Lost City Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Genies put a nice twist on pve. Pvp is another story.
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    most 2-x bosses (inc wurlord if you have earthquake)

Lol, no.

I did 2-3 with a level 99 veno. Herc was tanking and I was in tiger form using alacrity to cancel the attack, the herc still kept dying, even with me cancelling every time.

Summary: Unless you have a lot of Stamina in your genie that you could care less about, a Veno as a member of your party is better in my opinion.

Once you get to 90+, stamina isn't an issue with OHT daily.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Hakiii - Heavens Tear
    Hakiii - Heavens Tear Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    The only time it bothers me is when barb, or bm, or whoever is using genie skill to lure. Randomly decides to stop and start doing it throughout the instance, and somehow expects me to telepathically know they are/aren't doing it on said mob. Then proceed to yell if I'm waiting. Either let me do it all the way through or you do it. But people who can't communicate just blargh. b:sad
  • axt57
    axt57 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Lol, no.

I did 2-3 with a level 99 veno. Herc was tanking and I was in tiger form using alacrity to cancel the attack, the herc still kept dying, even with me cancelling every time.

Well either the veno was not well equiped (low -chan % most likely) or you were not cancelling all the attacks.

Regardless, a blessing on herc would allow pretty much any reasonably equiped high level veno with earthquake to solo 2-3 wurlord. The reflect alone off him can reach 7-8k per hit.

2 venos could quickly take him down even with an unblessed herc - easily replacing a barb/cleric duo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    The only time it bothers me is when barb, or bm, or whoever is using genie skill to lure. Randomly decides to stop and start doing it throughout the instance, and somehow expects me to telepathically know they are/aren't doing it on said mob. Then proceed to yell if I'm waiting. Either let me do it all the way through or you do it. But people who can't communicate just blargh. b:sad

It's hard for them to type their communications with paws.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Hakiii - Heavens Tear
    Hakiii - Heavens Tear Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    tweakz wrote: »
    It's hard for them to type their communications with paws.

b:chuckle

What about the BM's? b:question
  • SilverCleric - Lost City
    SilverCleric - Lost City Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Genies have good skills, but they do not replace the role of a class.

Genie vs Veno

-Pulling. Sure, a genie can pull, but a Veno can undoubtedly pull better and is safer.
    ^ Ture.

-Amping. Yea, Extreme Poison and the Veno's Amp skill are very similar, but using extreme poison sucks out stamina out while a veno can DD and use their Amp skill.

^ Also the sage version gives a 30% dmg increase and demon version lasts 6 secs longer witch is another reason why venos are better.

-Chi Skill. Cloud Eruption gives a spark and then some but once again, it costs stamina.

^ And demon has a 20% chance of giving 2 sparks.

-Reflect Buff -> Venos

Genie vs Archer

-The -HP% skill. Yep, Genies get this too but Archers can DD and make bosses go faster. Don't think genies can DD efficiently.

Not saying that Genie's are bad, but they're more of a way to make things easier. The core classes are still needed (tank, healer, DDers, and pullers) and genie's can't replace them. Skills like Alpha Male, Tree of Protection, and Holy Path are useful but do not replace the entire of a class.

Like what he said genie skills are used only to help a class in need and the dev's made the genies to a point so they won't replace the role of another class.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

✰The Nostradamus of PWI ✰

★ A not so Retired Veteran of PWI ★

✰ ~SilverCleric~ ✰
  • Riverwell - Archosaur
    Riverwell - Archosaur Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    It annoys me to no end to have a veno in the squad and other people pulling with genies. I don't care if it takes a bit longer, let the veno pull, it's safer, especially when you're luring guards around a boss.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -
    Previous Enemy Executor
    Current SentineI Member
    -
    "I'm sorry, but if you cant aggro control, then you better have the gear/charm to back yourself up. And falling short of that, you simply deserve to die. It's PWI darwinism tbh." - DaKillanator - Raging Tide
  • ElderSig - Dreamweaver
    ElderSig - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,247 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Lol, no.

Once you get to 90+, stamina isn't an issue with OHT daily.

Lol, why use the herc? A lvl 100 veno (herself) just tanked wurlord in 2-3 hard for me yesterday XD.

P.S. yes there were clerics lol.

On Topic:

Genies can't replace anyone, you can't have all the necessary skills on your genie to replace all the possible useful skills a whole class can bring to the table. The make some things easier, but they don't replace.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fiery_Demon - Heavens Tear
    Fiery_Demon - Heavens Tear Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I'm quite happy that there are people who like to use their genies for luring, because I hate to do that with my Herc (I have no other land pets). I like to keep him fully buffed and always near to protect me from unexpected attacks, and when someone tells me to go lure although there are other people in squad with Zeal genies, I'm a bit annoyed, because I have to resummon him, give him other buffs exept bramble, which would drag all the other mobs with the one that I had to lure. And some bosses are just too strong even for a Herc to handle, especially when there are many adds nearby. For instance when I have to lure Pole or Nob, one of them kills my Herc almost every time, and that means I have to waste money later to buy him expensive food to keep his loyalty full (for those who do not know, more loyalty means better damage and more exp.) And sometimes it has happened so, that the barb is too late and can't grab the boss so I die. It has happened quite a few times already so I've just lost my faith in other people and call me paranoid, but I don't trust them anymore to keep me from dying. So I totally prefer if someone else lures, as I am used to tanking more than luring, and I'm the person who keeps the squad alive if 1st tank should die.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Desiree - Harshlands
    Desiree - Harshlands Posts: 635 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    For PvE, at lower levels, venos are great for making money and herc-tanking. At higher levels, they are useful for brambling the tank to help the tank hold aggro. At end game, they're just a weak DD. Pretty useless really.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Slarti - Dreamweaver
    Slarti - Dreamweaver Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    axt57 wrote: »
    lol no.

A herc can tank all 1-x bosses, most 2-x bosses (inc wurlord if you have earthquake) and some 3-x bosses far better than a similar level barb............provided the veno is not an idiot.

If by "far better" you mean soloing, not tanking with a squad, or helping to save a barb some repair costs then I will agree.
    If you are talking about tanking anything with a squad that doesn't want to spend all day on one run, good luck... A herc simply CANNOT HOLD AGGRO like a barb, with all DDs attacking full out, taking advantage of amp/HF/ext poison/etc. With a herc tank the DDs have to hold back alot, making it slower for everyone.
  • XmasBunny_ - Archosaur
    XmasBunny_ - Archosaur Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    It annoys me to no end to have a veno in the squad and other people pulling with genies. I don't care if it takes a bit longer, let the veno pull, it's safer, especially when you're luring guards around a boss.

true
    it is so anoying when you are a veno and you know your pulling would make things much safer and they don't let u pull cause:

1: u feel useless since that's your role (besides dd and debuff at the boss)
    2: you are likely to see people dyeing when genies pull more than 1 mob, which was unnecessary -.-'
  • Xegeth - Dreamweaver
    Xegeth - Dreamweaver Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited May 2010

At high levels, barbs are completely useless for tanking if you have a good fist bm, or claw archer.

On a side note: Spamming flesh ream and getting all the heals, sometimes even at an aoe boss is not hard working. Plus the tanking role mostly only goes for Bosses. In FC for example your squad needs to work together as a whole. Stop being so damn full of yourself, it is insulting every good player of another class. But it's typical for barbs, lol..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PunkinKatt - Heavens Tear
    PunkinKatt - Heavens Tear Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Straight truth for the OP. A genie has a very limited distance at which it will attack. A veno's pet has a superior range in comparison, therefore is far less likely to pull one and aggro/link all the others nearby. Veno just depops the pet if that happens, then re-summons it. Only the intended mob is pulled.

And, while they do have dd and healing skills, genies are not effective as either. More like just support. There is no replacing the dd of a BM, Archer, or Veno.
    There's no such thing as a "Perfect World" full of Jade, diamonds, gold, and other riches and treasures. There is only an imperfect world, with an imperfect society, full of imperfect people, with imperfect idea's about how to be perfectly rich and perfectly perfect. No one cares about being perfectly kind, perfectly fair, or perfectly content.
    It's a perfectly sad world.
  • Borsuc - Raging Tide
    Borsuc - Raging Tide Posts: 1,526 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    And, while they do have dd and healing skills, genies are not effective as either. More like just support. There is no replacing the dd of a BM, Archer, or Veno.
    No, genies maybe not, but imagine that in the spot of the veno there's some other DD, i.e the spot is not empty.

Though I still have to say it annoys the **** outta me when I see people luring with genies when there's not one, but TWO venos in a squad. And then they QQ when the venos don't lure. They were luring with the zeals were they not? Why so suddenly veno has to lure? Can she read your mind or something?

I guess there's no reasoning with some people.
  • OpalAthame - Dreamweaver
    OpalAthame - Dreamweaver Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    My barb friend used to complain a lot about venos playing the barb role and 'wanting to tank everything' So eventually I came back informing him about all the barbs that like to pull with the genies or even a bow and arrow sometimes >_>. Its nice when pets tank because that means less repair bill for the barbs, clerics don't have to tick their mp charm if they have one, and if the pet dies the barb can always be the back up tank. And its nice when barbs pull because sometimes the mob can one shot the veno before she can get her pet resummoned. It's also really convenient if she is using a herc. Because I get annoyed at having to rebuff him all the time after summoning and stowing him, and making sure he doesn't have his reflect skill on while pulling (..disastrous).

When I first made a veno, I was excited about having a 'job' you know? Something I was needed for and only I could do ^^. But after I started doing bh's I was kind of taken by surprise that I hardly ever needed to pull, it was always a higher level veno, or a more aggressive veno, or someone with a zeal or someone that could solo or the barb wanted to tank everything by groups. I got used to it pretty quick. However the one barb that would rather waste inven space and money for arrows so he could do something that I was perfectly capable of doing on my own with less hassle was kind of offensive. But hey, its his problem not mine b:pleased

EDIT: Also agree with one thing Borsuc mentioned, it is very annoying when someone pulls with genie and then all of a sudden QQ or get irritated when the veno doesnt pull. Tell us when you want us to pull, otherwise we are gonna kick back and let you do the job you have so eagerly taken earlier. And secondly, please tell us when YOU are going to pull. I don't like sending my pet in after one mob and then someone runs in pulling another and have it be my fault that the barb didn't aggro the other and it started chasing the cleric for healing.