Resistance differance between HA and AA

_Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary
_Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary Posts: 993 Arc User
edited May 2010 in General Discussion
I noticed that heavy armor has alot more elemental defense than the arcane armor has physical defense...
Could someone tell me why? It just seems a BM or barb can take several great cyclones but the second a cleric or mage gets whacked by an axe they die..

I think HA should be squishy against Magic as Magic users are squishy against Physical attacks.

Could someone please explain?
Facebook.com/foxi187
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by _Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Born_Free - Harshlands
    Born_Free - Harshlands Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    .-. That's a good point. It's almost as if they're handing over the game to the Assassins or something.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I think HA should be squishy against Magic as Magic users are squishy against Physical attacks.

They are...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    AlbireoTwo - Lost City Posts: 2,056 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I take a ton of damage from magic attacks..........
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you Forsakenx for the picture. b:thanks
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Keep in mind there are 2-3 physical defense buffs in the game and only 1 magical (not counting marrows).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Asheera - Raging Tide
    Asheera - Raging Tide Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Thing is it's not just defenses, barbs have a lot more HP than casters so of course they will resist much more magic hits than casters physical hits.
    First 103 on Raging Tide 30 Oct 2010
    Quit.
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,385 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I noticed that heavy armor has alot more elemental defense than the arcane armor has physical defense...
    Could someone tell me why? It just seems a BM or barb can take several great cyclones but the second a cleric or mage gets whacked by an axe they die..

Could someone please explain?

do you really expect a nerd to nag a jock to death... before the jock punches the nerd out? i for one... don't.
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

Tokichiro - Heavy Armor Fish / Kiyoshi - Dual Blade Elf
  • Cyrl - Raging Tide
    Cyrl - Raging Tide Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    do you really expect a nerd to nag a jock to death... before the jock punches the nerd out? i for one... don't.

Makes me wanna knock you outb:angry

Anyways, I think it comes down to the differences in the HP pools. Your average caster has less HP than your HA classes. They can take more hits with more HP.
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5843465009&dateline=1276709082[/SIGPIC]
    ~Made by the amazing Forsakenx~

"Hogwarts is full of Communists?!"--Lingie
    "No. I'm actually the reincarnation of a God. Retired. Hi."
    "My life is one whole WTF moment."
  • MistaBwanden - Sanctuary
    MistaBwanden - Sanctuary Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    On a 90 barb/bm, I always, at the least, hit 1k+ with great cyclone.
  • Fruitluips - Lost City
    Fruitluips - Lost City Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    The trade off is that casters can attack from a long distance (and sometimes keep that distance). If the HA user could never live long enough to make the distance, there wouldn't be much of a point to playing one.
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Melee classes take out more %HP each hit than Magic classes do. They have more HP and more balanced defenses, especially a Blademaster with Magic Marrow up. Barbs have massive HP and can take hits anyway. The only things an arcane class can really hit hard are sins and Archers, who both hit us for more than we hit them in most cases (crit crit crit and more crit anyone?). Not to mention a sin can easily stealth away from the fight, or use it to stop your attack and just stun you then kill.

This game is unbalanced to Magic Classes, Melee classes have a lot of good advantages over us. But there's not much that can be done, you just have to learn to fight them. It's annoying but they still go down.
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    They're not supposed to be balanced.

HA is supposed to give better overall protection, then LA, then AA.

However, to wear better armour you must sacrifice more stat points, which forces you to choose.

Melee classes, however, are supposed to be be tanks, so the stats they need to use their weapons also makes it easy for them to wear HA.

Or at least, that seems to be the intention...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • NightRage - Raging Tide
    NightRage - Raging Tide Posts: 1,582 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    .-. That's a good point. It's almost as if they're handing over the game to the Assassins or something.

Yeah because assassins wear HA. Wut.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    there are 2 pdef party buffs in the game, 1 mdef party buff.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • ManeK - Harshlands
    ManeK - Harshlands Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    The trade off is that casters can attack from a long distance (and sometimes keep that distance). If the HA user could never live long enough to make the distance, there wouldn't be much of a point to playing one.

well said!
    i agree 100%
    Level 100 Blademaster - Diverse (Harshlands)
    Level 97 Cleric - ManeK (Harshlands)
    Level 91 Wizard - lnnocent (Harshlands)
    Level 86 Archer - AimLow (Harshlands)

May The Force Not Be With You!! b:victoryb:laugh
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2010
    It's much harder for the caster to live when the melee class reaches them than it is for the melee class to live as they're getting hit from a distance and coming towards them. More HP and more resistances, along with more HP from refines. Combine that with the fact that they actually do have a pretty good range (Lunar axes anyone or poleblades anyone?) and you have a pretty deadly fighter. I'm not QQing, I understand this is how we're balanced and that casters sacrifice HP/Defense to attack from a distance, but the fact that a melee class does a lot more damage to use than we do to them (% wise) is something I really don't like.

I play a Blademaster as well and I don't pk arcane classes, I DESTROY them. The only ones that even stand a chance are the level 90s, and even then it's only if they have a charm. I can go uncharmed and tick them at least 3 times before I finally die. If a level 75 BM can kill any caster his level, charmed or not, and be able to compete against level 90 casters I think something is a bit off balance.
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    cause casters have range, people in HA don't.

Mages get stone barrier, clerics get plume shell, psys get voodoo, venos get bramble guard.

BMs get marrow, and that's it I think. Barbs have nothing to reduce magic damage they way caster classes can reduce physical damage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2010

Mages get stone barrier, clerics get plume shell, psys get voodoo, venos get bramble guard.

BMs get marrow, and that's it I think. Barbs have nothing to reduce magic damage they way caster classes can reduce physical damage.

Beastial Rage at 50% HP and True Emptiness. Yes, barbs do get something.
  • PaperCutter - Dreamweaver
    PaperCutter - Dreamweaver Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2010

I'm quite sure invoke makes you take more damage
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    since when did range actually do something nowadays >>; once my genie stamina is gone they catch up to me like Michael Johnson on a preschool kid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • kenlee
    kenlee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2010

...and you forgot your class. barbs get hp... lots of hp actually and invoke, balance and solid shield plus some ridiculous skills like true emptiness. not to mention if its demon barb... bestial onslaught and armageddon are deadly skills.

bm's get leap to jump back/forward, stuns and what not.
    and lol at bramble
  • Dominatiger - Sanctuary
    Dominatiger - Sanctuary Posts: 1,066 Arc User
    edited May 2010

This game is unbalanced to Magic Classes, Melee classes have a lot of good advantages over us.

Quoted for being wrong!!!

In this game Magic/Ranged classes can attack even if there is a wall betwen magic/ranged user and melle user.

Melles can only hit at melle range (of course), if you do a jump we need to wait you to come to the ground again or we are forced to use flying mount if the opose happens we are hitted anyways.
    Happy Sauce face

ಪ_ಪ
    Manufactured by Konariraiden
  • DTK - Dreamweaver
    DTK - Dreamweaver Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    If anything its the melee classes that have the disadvantage... Magic classes get higher base dmg per magic point compared to all melee str and dex classes. Magic also gets insane dmg boosts on skills like 500%+13k.... A wizard with stone barrier can easily get more phys def than bms (I personally met a wiz with 28k phys def!!!!!!!! thats more than a barb). Clerics can easilly pick off a melee class before they get to them with the exception of invisible sins. A psy can make someone kill themself and venos are just...bleed....3k... I'll end it at that.b:bye
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Beastial Rage at 50% HP and True Emptiness. Yes, barbs do get something.

Bestial rage when used at 50% can stop a whopping 4k hp, i.e one hit. True emptiness uses up your entire stamina and is pointless unless at full energy in the air. On the ground there is no point.

I've met mages with more pdef than I have in true form.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • ClamEars - Harshlands
    ClamEars - Harshlands Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    If you love Heavey Armor so much, why don't you marry it.
  • Kittennice - Heavens Tear
    Kittennice - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    We are and Err.. HA is a tank armor basically. Plus there are usually vit and hp stats on them. Health of an HA is usually greater than the others health. And then you have how magic casters can spam magic through solid objects while we're running to get to them for our attack.
    The VenoX: Heavy Pure Melee (Axe User with a hint of magic) Venomancer and Proud
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^
    {=^.^=} < I'll never give up. Never give in. )

I'm for The Cursed!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=656132
  • Daose - Harshlands
    Daose - Harshlands Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Two things:

1. Magic is ranged.
    2. Strong magic attacks (Things like a wizards BIDS or a cleric's Tempest) have more damage potential than most physical attacks/skills.

At least that's the logic behind the game developer's decision, I think.

I do think it is slightly unbalanced, in favor of melees.
  • _LiVe_eViL_ - Sanctuary
    _LiVe_eViL_ - Sanctuary Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    If anything its the melee classes that have the disadvantage... Magic classes get higher base dmg per magic point compared to all melee str and dex classes. Magic also gets insane dmg boosts on skills like 500%+13k.... A wizard with stone barrier can easily get more phys def than bms (I personally met a wiz with 28k phys def!!!!!!!! thats more than a barb). Clerics can easilly pick off a melee class before they get to them with the exception of invisible sins. A psy can make someone kill themself and venos are just...bleed....3k... I'll end it at that.b:bye

Firstly let me say I'm fine with HA being the way it is. Leave it the way it is.

Wiz can easily get as much pdef as a bm? Self buffed not even close. Fully buffed its close but not as much. Physical Marrow and comparing a wizard, no.

28kpdef fully buffed (lvl 10 buffs and demon stone barrier) that wizard had to of sharded about 10-12 garnet gems, event gear, and +12 warsong and cube ornaments to do that. Its a bit insane and lol that is all.

You forgot to mention BM's can kill players in less then 5 seconds with all that interval stuff out there or what are BM's favorite combo stun, HF, bramble rage. Barbs can one shot too with armegeddon just like I can. All classes have their little niches and stuff that messes them up.

BM is one of the most versatile classes the problem is in tw they are one of the main targets since their stunning and heavens flame is sooo annoying and that is why I believe we don't see BM's with high kill to low death ratios and/or not generally high on the kills list. PK on a PVE server is laughable at best......I'll leave that where it is.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    since when did range actually do something nowadays >>; once my genie stamina is gone they catch up to me like Michael Johnson on a preschool kid

or Jackson...
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Kittennice - Heavens Tear
    Kittennice - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    or Jackson...

Fa-Fa-Fa-Fail Breaker!

I just had the moment.
    The VenoX: Heavy Pure Melee (Axe User with a hint of magic) Venomancer and Proud
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^
    {=^.^=} < I'll never give up. Never give in. )

I'm for The Cursed!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=656132
  • _Leif - Lost City
    _Leif - Lost City Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited May 2010

b:laugh

10char