Some helpl with BM builds

Options
Delahk - Sanctuary
Delahk - Sanctuary Posts: 100 Arc User
edited May 2010 in Blademaster
Ok, so despite me being a 71 cleric, I'm quite ignorant when it comes to BM builds. I've read the stickies and have some questions. I'm planning on going with axe/fist hybrid BM, but as I'm making this char to be a sort of secondary tank (I don't enjoy playing a barb...too low damage), would this sort of build be wise, since it would leave my vit at 5? would you guys suggest I'd just stick to one path so I'd have more vit, and thus tank better? or can I get by with just shards and refinement (I'm going HA of course). Or maybe I'm way off? (sorry I don't know much about BMs b:shutup ). If so, which weapon path should I go? (I really like AoE grinding, but I wanna be able to be an effective tank as well for when things go wrong), so which weapon path and build would you guys suggest me go if not 3 str 2 dex per level? (to be effective tank that won't lose agro easily, and yet not die in 2-3 hits)
Post edited by Delahk - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Kaste - Sanctuary
    Kaste - Sanctuary Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Well in my oppinion you should go for main axe untill around level 90. Add some vitality to keep yourself alive while grinding, but still keep a good amount of dexterity. I am on level 82 at the moment and tanking with level 70 fists is not a problem at all. Basically what you do is reset your vit and put the points into dex so you can wear the good 90+ fists. Just because you will not need vitality anymore, you will have good refined armor with hp stones :P.

Really i think it is not worth focusing on fist too much untill that high level, even if you can hit out some nice dps on bosses. Level up the fist mastery and cyclone heel will be fine. Just make sure to get yourself the Mold fist "annihiliator of souls" lvl req 60, these will fit for a good amount of time.
    Feel free to PM me for help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mistress Myra forced me to use her sigpic ↑
    With PWI since Dec 21st '08
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=922912
    youtube.com/user/kasPWI
  • Kokki - Harshlands
    Kokki - Harshlands Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    don't, don't and don't

Fists are 10 times better then axes for grinding.

I can grind non stop without pots just because i build chi like a ** and us diamond sutra to regain HP

Axes are slow and don't have nice addons like fists. i was fists from level 1 and i outleveled any friend of mine just by doing my quests.

If you build a axe/fist build you have no room for vit. 3 str / 2 dex each level, your HP comes from +hp/+vit gear. Get it as priority #1 over any other modifiers like dex or str.

Get some good HP mods on your elemental belts and necklaces as you level up and you'll be good to go.

Grab or make some nice 2*/3* fists as you level up till you can get the 60 mold, then go TT70 or 70 mold depending on how far you wanna go with your char / TT fists.

Cyclone heel is worth leveling because it extends the duration of the attack speed increase. Level up heaven's flame for squad instances and level up your aoe's for solo AOE grinding.
    I'm famous! i'm on ecatomb
  • Delahk - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    Options
    @Kaste: thanks for the reply :) so you're suggesting I go with axes till higher levels then restat for fist/axe? though can lower level fists really keep agro? DDs are crazy with their e-peen contests, lol. anyway, if I do go this path, where should I cap my vit? 50-60?

@Kokki: Is fist grinding faster than axes' AoE grinding though? I thought it was axes for AoE, and fists for single targets? (again, I'm noob when it comes to BMs, just saying what I've been told) I was planning to use axes for AoE grinding, and fists for tanking bosses and such. Anyhow, yeah, getting some HP mods won't be much of a problem, since I have my cleric supporting him, though I won't add any HP shards or such before he's 60-70, simply lvls too fast...
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    @Kaste: thanks for the reply :) so you're suggesting I go with axes till higher levels then restat for fist/axe? though can lower level fists really keep agro? DDs are crazy with their e-peen contests, lol. anyway, if I do go this path, where should I cap my vit? 50-60?

@Kokki: Is fist grinding faster than axes' AoE grinding though? I thought it was axes for AoE, and fists for single targets? (again, I'm noob when it comes to BMs, just saying what I've been told) I was planning to use axes for AoE grinding, and fists for tanking bosses and such. Anyhow, yeah, getting some HP mods won't be much of a problem, since I have my cleric supporting him, though I won't add any HP shards or such before he's 60-70, simply lvls too fast...

Okay so I made bold a very true thing in your statement.

Thing is you don't really aoe grind till your in your 6x's and more so in your 7x's. But, now you really don't need to aoe grind to get exp. You can just do BH.

The power is yours......
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Delahk - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I don't really do BH much though, but still, don't BMs AoE in BH too? the ones I squadded with did, and just pulled fists or swords at the boss.
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Ok, so despite me being a 71 cleric, I'm quite ignorant when it comes to BM builds. I've read the stickies and have some questions. I'm planning on going with axe/fist hybrid BM, but as I'm making this char to be a sort of secondary tank (I don't enjoy playing a barb...too low damage), would this sort of build be wise, since it would leave my vit at 5? would you guys suggest I'd just stick to one path so I'd have more vit, and thus tank better? or can I get by with just shards and refinement (I'm going HA of course). Or maybe I'm way off? (sorry I don't know much about BMs b:shutup ). If so, which weapon path should I go? (I really like AoE grinding, but I wanna be able to be an effective tank as well for when things go wrong), so which weapon path and build would you guys suggest me go if not 3 str 2 dex per level? (to be effective tank that won't lose agro easily, and yet not die in 2-3 hits)

1) Re-stat to full Magic

2) Shard full Mana Shards

3) Equip a magic sword, you'll be a better blade master when you learn how to use blades with magic.

b:bye
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI
  • Mendolin - Sanctuary
    Mendolin - Sanctuary Posts: 1,092 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    1) Re-stat to full Magic

2) Shard full Mana Shards

3) Equip a magic sword, you'll be a better blade master when you learn how to use blades with magic.

b:bye

+1

by far the most elite build for a BM i have witnessed in my 101 levels
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    Options
    +1

by far the most elite build for a BM i have witnessed in my 101 levels

When you can wear Mendy's Lunar Nirvana 100 Pants, then you're considered a pro BM b:victory

• Mendolin - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    Options
    When you can wear Mendy's Lunar Nirvana 100 Pants, then you're considered a pro BM b:victory

b:thanks Nirvana- Lunar thank you....

but seriously... if you cant wear them at 100 like Dan then please just Alt+F4 and reconsider life b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    Options
    b:thanks Nirvana- Lunar thank you....

but seriously... if you cant wear them at 100 like Dan then please just Alt+F4 and reconsider life b:bye

Rawr, but I'm the only one allowed in your pants baby. b:victory

• Mendolin - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Rawr, but I'm the only one allowed in your pants baby. b:victory

b:mischievous exactly
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kokki - Harshlands
    edited May 2010
    Options

Like advanced said you don't do aoe grinding anymore. up till 70 it's a breeze leveling with BH's and quests. 70-80 can be a little longer due to the fact that quests don't give good amount of EXP anymore. If you wanna aoe grind that's the levels to do it. At 80 you can start your FC runs. For FC make sure both your fist/axe aoe's are leveled up. People expect Heaven's flame from a blademaster. Quests is better off doing single target kills to keep you from potting alot, thus saving you money

Fists are not meant to keep aggro when there is a tank around to flesh ream. And once you are gonna stack interval gear, aggro stealing is like stealing candy from a baby.

Axes are good to have for public quest and running BH's when you can safely AOE. Btw fist/axe build has no room for vit at all, unless you wanna equip lower level axes or fists. the build is 3 str / 2 dex per level. using fist mold are pretty much needed in order to do decent damage. or any good +phys att mods on 2/3* fists/claws are also good.
  • Delahk - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    Options
    @Kokki: Yeah, but I will probably AoE for money, and yeah, I know, it's easy even to get to 80, due to triple BH now. I'm gonna do most of my quests with my in game wife's cleric, so that saves up on potting for a bit, plus the buffs help.

Yeah, ofcourse, a barb is the game's main physical tank, though I do wanna be able to tank if there's no barb around, or if something goes wrong in the party.
    Yeah, I know that the build is 3str/2dex, that's why I'm getting him a vit tome, and I'm scanning the market for some good deals on HP shards for him as well for when he reaches 60-70

As for getting good fists, that's why I asked, finding good pair of fists is kinda cruicial, as well as getting -int gear, while axes seem to be a bit more forgiving.

Btw, which is better to use? TT axes and fists or mold ones?
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    If you don't want to think real hard on your weapons what you do is.

Get to lvl 19 do Call of Duty 19 cave (aka fb19) Receive quest reward Spear (great weapon) Use till level 3X's. Search for either real good axes/hammers or real good fists/claws...find the opposite weapon but don't worry so much about how good it is (So if you grabbed some really good axes/hammers then don't worry so much about fists/claws)...unless its cheap.

Start looking 10 levels out for replacement weapon. Do this right away. This will give you time to watch AH for a deal. It only takes a few minutes to check.

As for what is better TT fists or legendary/mold ones. Well, I liked and used both. I used the mold lvl 60 fists annihilator of souls. Got TT 60 then 70 fists. When I was able to use the TT 70 fist I switched over. Would have used the legendary/mold Dark Flash Claw lvl 70 mold but already had TT 70 so blah. I think the mold is better with its adds.

After that its all about how much coin you are going to throw at Fists. TT 80 to TT 90 or Frost 85. Anyways when you get to those levels if you are struggling with your decision come back and ask here......

For axes plan your route and use TT. Unless you want the mold 70 axes with sacrificial strike. Either way eventually you will need to switch to TT.

Have Fun! b:bye
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kokki - Harshlands
    edited May 2010
    Options
    If you have a cleric near aoe grinding is nice for exp but not for coins

At this point i'm 79 with 4.8K HP with fists and 5.1K with calamities. I have 5 vit and have no trouble tanking any onf my BH's

I have sleeves with -0.05 interval and with spark + cyclone heel as fist attacks i keep aggro while i'm doing the dishes. Any cleric can keep me alive very easy due to the fact that i got decent gear

I would suggest going with mold fists unless you can find - interval ones.
    Axes go with plain axes till you can get TT60 axes, then choose if calamities at 70 if you PvP, or keep on going the TT chain with axes.

If you go dual path from the start none of the weapons are forgiving. If you plan ahead and keep an eye out for HP/vit gear you'll be better then many other axe BM's. They put in vit so they either lack i the DD or in the accuracy department.

If you are very serious about this you can make a very feared BM. As i've seen is that my HP is higher then Vit axe BM's, and my verstality is way more then axe BM's. Up till now i have yet to do a BH with a barb as tank.
  • Delahk - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    Options
    @Advance: Ok, that makes sense, thanks for the help. For me, TT is easier to obtain thx to having access to lvl 92 herced veno, so I guess I'll use that till I can get me a nice molder fists.
    I sure hope I won't be strugglling at 80+ O_o I think I'll just go with the one I enjoy playing with more as my main weapon.

@Kokki: I don't have to worry about her taking money, if that's what you mean, we always grind together and share the drops.
    Yeah, I'm scanning now for HP shards and gear for him, found some good deals on some flawless HP shards already, so that will be waiting for him.
    Well, I've made this as an alt for change of pace, but I'm starting to like playing him more than my cleric, so who knows, he might end up my main, either way, he'll get some really nice gear, that's for sure ^^
  • Kokki - Harshlands
    edited May 2010
    Options
    no i mean aoe grinding is not very good for drops. It yields nice drops but you use MP pots like crazy to keep your MP up in order to kill mobs. For grinding, fists yields you the best profit, while aoe grinding makes it go faster.
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    no i mean aoe grinding is not very good for drops. It yields nice drops but you use MP pots like crazy to keep your MP up in order to kill mobs. For grinding, fists yields you the best profit, while aoe grinding makes it go faster.

If you farm Focus Powders (50 mana recovery/second), you only need to use 6 per hour and meditate a few seconds after 2 or 3 pulls. Concentrate Orbs give you 100mp recovery/second, are a little harder to farm but then your mana is something you don't really have to worry about. Just remember to tell your cleric NOT to use that mana/hp recovery buff.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • Delahk - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Haha, yeah, she's well aware of this, and yeah, I do plan to use focus powders, I have 50 of them stocked up on my cleric :p