LOUD footsteps

unoshato
unoshato Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2010 in Support Desk
is there a way to turn off the MASSIVELY loud footstep sound effects in the game without completely turning off effects all together? because the insanely LOUD footstep sound effect are maddening, they are so high up in the sound mix that even the sounds of spells being cast and monsters roaring is drown out by the clunky awful WAY TOO LOUD footstep sound effects... i understand that it is part of the immersion in the game to hear your foot steps but when your spending half the time you play running through the grass and there is this SUPER MEGA LOUD clunky footstep across floodboards sound effect going it is very very annoying and takes me right out of the game..

honestly I love the sounds of the spells going off in this game and the sound-scape is generally well done... except those super humanly loud footsteps...

if you can please tell me how to shut just those footsteps off I would very very much appreciate it..
Post edited by unoshato on

Comments

• kudaku
    kudaku Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I agree the foot steps are way too loud in the sound mix of the game. So like rather then hearing the cool spell effects you can hear clomping foot steps all the time, it is very very annoying.

has anyone found a way to shut off the foot steps?
  • voidbinder
    voidbinder Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I agree completely shut off the foot steps please!
  • bcoker
    bcoker Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    god these are so annoying plz take them off so i can listen to the other cool effects without this annoying effect.b:angry
  • dawnalina
    dawnalina Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Yes these footstep sounds are terrible and god awfully loud please take them away! b:angry
  • boloshato
    boloshato Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    will they even consider fixing this issue seems to me like they really must LOVE those footsteps for them to be so ridiculously loud....
    I certainly hope they do fix it though, it is beyond annoying and completely terrible...

I mean how hard can it be to just switch them off or turn them down in the sound mix?

or better yet just give us a check box under settings so players can turn them off or not as they like?

I guess some folks must love the LOUD crazy footsteps since no one else seems to be saying anything about them?

or does every one just play with the sound effects turned off so they dont have to hear the awful things?

if 90% of the players are turning off the sound because they cannot stand the clomping footsteps, but no one ever mentions it then how are the GM's and dev's supposed to know?

well I am mentioning it all right? its awful please for the love of all that is holy and perfect in the world fix the Foot steps please?
  • VerenKaunis - Dreamweaver
    VerenKaunis - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,099 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    This thread made me LOL.b:chuckle If it weren't for the fact that everyone who's posted so far made their accounts months apart then I might have thought you were all the same person.

On topic: The first few days I played the footsteps were a bit annoying. I wasn't really bothered enough by it that I had to make a thread complaining though. At this point I've pretty much blocked out the sound so I don't notice it anymore. =/

Also, I like to have my own music playing in the background sometimes so I can't hear anything in game when I do that.
    This alt has been brought to you by lkurei - Harshlands.
    I'm a guy. b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] lol
    'I think most of us f2p players stopped caring about buying gold once the ani packs came in, bent the gold market over a chair and did unspeakable things to it. >_>' Miugre - Heavens Tear
  • /Billion - Heavens Tear
    /Billion - Heavens Tear Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    this happens to me all the time when i alt+tab the game. They can be fixed by opening the options menu in game (press the U key) and moving your music and effect volumes around on the slider. I usually also play with music in the background and the music volume and effect volume all the way down and when i alt+tab the footsteps are maddeningb:angry
  • Abrahms - Dreamweaver
    Abrahms - Dreamweaver Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    maybe the Devs are Monty Python fans who get drunk and have fun hopping around the office banging" their coconuts halves together.
  • unoshato
    edited March 2010
    that is exactly what I mean the foot steps are soo loud and so high in the sound mix that people turn the game sounds off... we should not HAVE to do that they, the devs should realize how GOOFY it is and TURN them off or down or give us the option in the interface to turn them down...

that is all i am asking for is the option to have the game sounds on but NOT have to hear the super mega loud foot steps..
  • felynryl
    felynryl Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I am afraid I have to agree the foot step sounds are CRAZY loud and very very very very annoying...

I however doubt the devs care at all and your wasting your time, they are getting money from the boutique and they could care less if the game sounds they worked so long and hard on are completely drowned out in the whacky sound mix they have published...

in fact I would go so far as to say that they will not only never read this post but even if they did they would giggle and just say
    "well then turn down the sound effects, we don't care if you hear them or not as long as we get out coral money..."

and its true, they don't..

why should they care one way or the other?
  • boloshato
    boloshato Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    This thread made me LOL.b:chuckle

On topic: The first few days I played the footsteps were a bit annoying. I wasn't really bothered enough by it that I had to make a thread complaining though. At this point I've pretty much blocked out the sound so I don't notice it anymore. =/

Also, I like to have my own music playing in the background sometimes so I can't hear anything in game when I do that.

see that is what I am talking about... people just turn the in-game sound off.. so they dont have to hear the clomping footsteps..

why would the dev's support that? they put sound in the game for a reason to enhance it... right? if they would just give us the option of turning off the constantly over-loud footsteps I for one would turn the game sounds right back on and enjoy them..
  • PsychoChickn - Dreamweaver
    PsychoChickn - Dreamweaver Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Have you ever wondered why so many people are hopping up and down when running? Kepp spamming the "X" key to keep jumping. TYou do not make that annoying "clippity clop" sound when in the air.
  • kudaku
    edited March 2010
    Have you ever wondered why so many people are hopping up and down when running? Kepp spamming the "X" key to keep jumping. TYou do not make that annoying "clippity clop" sound when in the air.

yeah dude but we shouldn't have to do that .... the foot step sound effects SHOULD be so low in the sound mix that you hardly notice them at all...
  • Bulldowzah - Dreamweaver
    Bulldowzah - Dreamweaver Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    just turn ur pwi sounds off geeks
    9x Barb
    6x Seeker
    6x BM
    6xCleric
    [SIGPIC]http://i38.tinypic.com/nco6ts.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • unoshato
    edited March 2010
    just turn ur pwi sounds off geeks

we shouldn't have to miss an element of the game but turning it off, they should fix it..

everyone I have talked to has the sound turned completely off so they don't have to hear the ridiculously loud footsteps... why would they NOT fix it when so many people have a problem with it?
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I always have my sounds off. Not because of the footsteps, just because I want them off.

I was doing cube for the first time a little while back and I got into the room where you have to listen, so I turned my effects up. Took one step and it scared the living bejeezus out of me, rofl.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • kudaku
    edited April 2010
    it is such a simple thing to just turn down the crazy loud sound effects why oh why wont they just fix this issue?

it is maddening...
  • jaidenashley
    jaidenashley Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Guys, I have to agree with everyone who has posted here. I myself like to have Itunes playing in the background to listen to music, Just i find it really hard when i have to listen to footsteps constantly. I have in game sound & effects turned down to 0, and using a program called IndieVolume which lets you control programs sound output similar to Vista. Yet even than i have the footsteps in the background. Must we give up music or "for people who enjoy game sounds" the background sound games while fighting monster, or even town songs?
    I just believe this is rediculous and should be fixed. b:victory
  • Myai - Heavens Tear
    Myai - Heavens Tear Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Hear Hear!

or is it Here Here? b:chuckle

I always turn off my music and sound effects because the footsteps are really annoying to me and if I'm not gonna gave all of the sound, I'm not gonna have any. So the music goes down to zero too. And them I turn on my own music. But if these footsteps were better made, like, not wood sounding all the time (sounds like you're walking in a cave with echoes while in a cave/fb/bh, walking on stone when on stone, wood when on wood flooring, grass when on grass, etc) I would probably listen to all of the sound most of the time.
  • XTigermanxx - Heavens Tear
    XTigermanxx - Heavens Tear Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Whine, whine, whine; they aren't loud at all and if they took them out of the game i would submit a ticket and start a thread to bring them back. Adds realism to the game, and if you dont like it turn the damn settings down on the menu...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I have a message to all who stand in my way: pray.

Indomitus Barbarus: Latin for Untamed Barbarian
  • tastytunes
    tastytunes Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    All i am getting is foosteps and ambiant noises, NO BATTLE SOUNDS AT ALL! I also like to hear the crunch of battle and the monsters roar, but now all I get are Foosteps and Ambieant sound like wind or water. Please fix this right away as it ruiens my gamming experiance.
  • tastytunes
    tastytunes Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    In my game all I hear are footsteps and ambiant noise such as wind in come cases. (Depends where you are) I get NO BATTLE SOUNDS OR SPELL SOUNDS AT ALL!!!! I do find this very anoying as i like playing the game with the special effects on.k I have tried everything despite reloading the whole game and nothiing works. It must be a huge game glitch. It is making my experiance with the game NOT AS MUCH FUN AND TIDEUS TO PLAY. fix it fix it fixt it!
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    /inb4waytoomuchLSD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Solitia - Dreamweaver
    Solitia - Dreamweaver Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Is there any way to reduce the footstep sound, I find it intrusive and it forces me to turn off the sound effects which reduces my immersion playing?

I have tried adjusting the sliders and changing the sound quality.
  • Vaptor - Lost City
    Vaptor - Lost City Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    iv seen plently of badly written code for ut2004 and pwi happens to run on simlar code im not saying i can fix this problem but i have a good idea where the developers need to look to fix the foot step problem!

pwi uses a version of the unreal engine (slightly modified pwi said this in a public statement)

all unreal engine versions use a flexible scripting language called unreal script

If PWI uses unreal script the problem should be Extremely easy to find! unless the staff here can't script at all!

whats causing it? simple some where some one didn't use a reliable variable to store volume

the code with the problem is simlar to this
    PlayOwnedSound

native simulated final function PlayOwnedSound(
    sound Sound,
    optional ESoundSlot Slot,
    optional float Volume,
    optional bool bNoOverride,
    optional float Radius,
    optional float Pitch,
    optional bool Attenuate
    )

The parameters of PlayOwnedSound are the same as PlaySound which you should refer to for a complete explanation. The only difference is that Attenuate defaults to false.

Summary of _PlayOwnedSound

now the issue is why does the volume variable not remain constant?

hint as soon as player (STOPS MOVING) <- the problem is in the do idle animation code probly some joker put a

effect volume = max volume

in the code to be funny

any one else rember when the smileys had that case of emo randomness some one probly did that intentionally cause well there was a patern the smileys sorta worked even tho they looked like crazy ppl
  • ShaynaTOR - Sanctuary
    ShaynaTOR - Sanctuary Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    it won't remove the foot step's but it will remove a lot of the back ground junk noise..

on your computer is a folder full of wave files..

remove them.. they only add to the clutter of noise..

I alway's fly.. to avoid the foot step's.. and in caves I often turn the speakers off..

I would LOVE if the foot step's could be removed they serve no purpose.

I am on my feet in boots all day long. and NEVER make that much noise even if I stomp..
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    pwi uses a version of the unreal engine (slightly modified pwi said this in a public statement)

just out of interest, where did you see that statement? because everything i've read that seemed even vaguely official has stated that Perfect World uses a proprietary engine. not that it really matters, i guess, but i'm a computer geek and can't help being curious about such things...

on topic: on my machine the footsteps are no louder than all the other ambient sounds, and the mixing of different ambient sounds is rock steady to me --- nothing seems to change their relative volume. i have no problem ignoring the footsteps just as i ignore the rest of the ambients; i've got them all turned down relatively quiet so i can focus on ventrilo. and if i'm not using ventrilo i'm usually not even wearing my headset, so can't hear any of the game sounds. if all of a sudden any one ambient sound source was noticeably louder than the others, i would consider that a bug and be complaining about it here too --- that this seems to be the case for some people seems to me like it should be a genuine concern.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
This discussion has been closed.