Learning Chinese

Options
SailorRocket - Heavens Tear
SailorRocket - Heavens Tear Posts: 46 Arc User
edited May 2010 in Off-Topic Discussion
Ok...I'm wanting to learn Mandarin Chinese, but I have no money to buy the books (my library only has one book on it and it's a children's book....I've checked it out anyway). Does anyone know any good (free) sites that teach Mandarin Chinese?

Also, I've downloaded the Chinese version of Perfect World, and I was wondering if anyone else plays it. It would be good to have a friend on there that can speak both Chinese and English...(I figured the best way to learn Chinese was to actually be around it more. The only problem is I can read only about 80 characters so far....:| )
My characters:
SailorRocket - Venomancer - Lv84
TPKisaki - Archer - Lv72
DrPepper_I - Cleric - Lv70
QuietWarrior - Barbarian - Lv42
Server: Heaven's Tear
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by SailorRocket - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• buttercupcruella
    buttercupcruella Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Impressive, good luck!b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SailorRocket - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Thank you! b:thanks
    My characters:
    TPKisaki - Archer - Lv72
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Grippieluver - Lost City
    Grippieluver - Lost City Posts: 9,807 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    yess yess verry impressive indeed... i hope all goez well for u
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thankiez to Dorset for the sig!

MagicHamsta will remain in our hearts forever

P.S. I am a female venomancer ^^ I know it's rare, isn't it?
  • Nannako - Lost City
    Nannako - Lost City Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Ok...I'm wanting to learn Mandarin Chinese, but I have no money to buy the books (my library only has one book on it and it's a children's book....I've checked it out anyway). Does anyone know any good (free) sites that teach Mandarin Chinese?

Also, I've downloaded the Chinese version of Perfect World, and I was wondering if anyone else plays it. It would be good to have a friend on there that can speak both Chinese and English...(I figured the best way to learn Chinese was to actually be around it more. The only problem is I can read only about 80 characters so far....:| )

What I found that helped alot was listening to chinese music, watching the karaoke music videos. (Youtube is a good source for this) It works especially well if you know the songs and then watch the videos with the words. Thats actually how i learned most of my chinese heeh. That and learning reading menus at restaurants. There's nothing more motivating than knowing how to order your favorite foods! Good luck!
  • SailorRocket - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Thankyou so much for the info! I actually never thought to use music vids on youtube! XD
    My characters:
    TPKisaki - Archer - Lv72
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lairian - Sanctuary
    Lairian - Sanctuary Posts: 8,209 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    80 characters is pretty good really. Way more than most non-Chinese people know at any rate. Most people say that the best way to learn a language is to immerse yourself in it. I'm not saying to travel to China (well, unless you really want to anyway), but you can try listening to Chinese people talk. Look at their hand gestures and facial expressions to see if you can't figure out what they are talking about. Plus, pay close attention for words that appear multiple times. Those are usually important.

If you just want to learn characters, the internet is your friend. Online translators in particular are good. Yes, they suck for long sentences, but for single words, they're just fine. Type in a single word, and have the website give you the character. And make sure you write it down somewhere. No matter how much time you spend learning a language as complicated as Chinese, if you don't keep it in your mind it'll be gone before you know it.

Good luck in your quest for a new language! b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Be nice to people
  • Kismeta - Dreamweaver
    Kismeta - Dreamweaver Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    This is really impressive, I know I wouldn't ever have thought about the challenge of learning Mandarin on my own, however I'm lucky enough to be at a school which offers it :). At school I use a text book called chinese made easy and I have a 97 average in the class (I'm not trying to brag here btw)and I'm telling you, I'm not the brightest kid around lol. Its a really nice book, you should look it up. I'm thinking about doing what you said you were thinking about, downloading the Chinese version. If I follow thru with it, I'd also love a friend on there^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<- tyvm to ForsakenX for the sig, <3 ur work

Vanquish for life

Clerics are not your slaves, we do not exist to do your bidding. We also have names. Saying please does not take a lot of typing. I react very badly to being yelled at. Please do not do it.
    Its rather sad when people automatically assume you are a guy just because you are playing a veno....
    Live life to its fullest, learn from your mistakes, and most importantly, have fun. b:victory
  • Suchda - Sanctuary
    Suchda - Sanctuary Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    As a Chinese who grew up in an English medium society, I have to say it can get difficult. My parents are upset that I can't manage my mother tongue well. In fact in my country, students are allowed to use dictionaries when writing essays. Exposure is key. Maybe visit Chinatown? random suggestion
    Good luck!
  • KageYingZi - Heavens Tear
    KageYingZi - Heavens Tear Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    As a Chinese who grew up in an English medium society, I have to say it can get difficult. My parents are upset that I can't manage my mother tongue well. In fact in my country, students are allowed to use dictionaries when writing essays. Exposure is key. Maybe visit Chinatown? random suggestion
    Good luck!

Pretty much the same for me here.Where you from?
  • Suchda - Sanctuary
    Suchda - Sanctuary Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    singapore.
  • LlFE - Raging Tide
    LlFE - Raging Tide Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I must congratulate you on such a heavy endevour. Not many people actually care to learn Zhongwen and Mandarin, only Japanese and it's writing system.
    I really do respect you for taking of such a task, NEVER give up and practice daily; never skip a day. Point out what you plan to learn for the day, take frequent breaks, drill yourself afterwards. You get the jist.
    However, for proper pronounciation I would suggest finding a Chinese person and making friends with him or her to teach you the basics. 9/10 they'll be more than happy to help out.

Literacy requires the memorization of a great many characters: Educated Chinese know about 4,000 so you've only 3920 left!

All in all, you'll do fine. Just need to do one thing: PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. And remember, some Chinese themselves can't read Zhongwen but can speak w/e dialect that they do. b:cute
    죽음은 신의 최고의 선물...
  • _Inferno - Sanctuary
    _Inferno - Sanctuary Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Hi such! I thought you quit? This is magnumcroft btw xD

On Topic: Yeah, mandarin is really hard. I can only understand a bit of spoken mandarin. A lot of my Chinese friends say its really hard, but don't let that discourage you! Good luck in your quest!
    Characters:
    _Inferno 101 Arcane Sage Crit Wizard b:cool
    magnumcroft 8x Fist/Axe Blademaster b:laugh

youtube.com/magnumcroft
    ^Sanctuary's TW vids yo!
  • buttercupcruella
    buttercupcruella Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Watching Chinese movies, listening to the music, going to Asia for a trip if possible.. Sounds nice, but VERY demanding. Hope the end result will be worth it for ya.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]