Fcc Tanking Advice

FireCattz - Sanctuary
FireCattz - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
edited May 2010 in Barbarian
I would like to ask all the higher lvl Barbs out there for a bit of advice for tanking "fast" fcc runs. Now I do know how they go, I also have a lvl 89 veno who's been on several. I'm amazed by the amount of mobs that the Barbs have pulled during those runs. I've tried tanking a couple of runs and only pulled 2-3 groups at a time and it seem that aggro gets pulled off me very quickly by either the wizard doing db or the bm's spamming their aoe skills while the cleric is doing bb. Now these were not lvl 90+ squads, I still feel that I should have kept aggro better.

What I'd like advice on is what skills do you use, in what order and about when to use them. Also, what helpful skills can squad members use to help keep me alive as well as everyone else.

Just a quick rundown, I'm a tank build with 11.8k hp buffed and in tiger with most of my skills at lvl 10, except Sunder which is only lvl 5 since I can't afford to lvl it atm. 2 Misty Rings, Sky Deamon's Pearl neck, Vibrant Jade belt and TT80 green armor except chest which is Proud Plate of Corsaire. And have Alpha Male on genie.

Any and all advice is very appreciated and thanks in advance b:pleased
Post edited by FireCattz - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Reivi - Sanctuary
    Reivi - Sanctuary Posts: 742 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Spam alpha male and FR

wait for after lv90 and you have a good tt90 equip and some bonus to mag def (neck or belt..or both) before doing more than3 -4 groups of mobs.

Solid shield will help you when fetching mobs .

ask the veno to give you bramble back after you use alpha male ( alpha male cancels bramble)

try to obtain the maximum of your sage/demon skills @89 (sage for real tank)

and that should be it.
    I look at all the trollers, and Pvpers.. and know they wouldnt have lasted 30sec on Camelot.

Rules= Know your enemy (players and NPCs) gives you more chances to survive.
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    frighten, alpha, roar, etc. sometimes it's just idiots who dont know when to start attacking. after you grab a huge set, invoke helps alot too. if you have a veno, have them pass you sparks to A. invoke, or B. sunder/beastial rage so you can keep them sparks going.

if all else fails, tell the party to wait until after the roar to attack ~_~.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • Basingeth - Lost City
    Basingeth - Lost City Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    My strategy, :-p.

I run down, getting all the mobs. I then hit invoke and beastial rage. At this point I also hit either roar or alpha male. This secures aggro. After I have done this I bring the mobs back to the zhen. Beastial rage has already refilled my chi, etc.

It works even better if you have a veno that just brambles you. Just roar and sit there for a couple seconds after you have invoked and used beastial rage.

If you're needing the veno to pass you sparks you're doing something wrong, other then the phoenix boss. Sparks should always go to the cleric. This ensures non-stop movement, because you don't have to wait for the cleric to build chi.

This strategy also makes sure the cleric has no chance of getting attacked.

This is just my way of doing it. Take it or leave it, idc.
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    My strategy, :-p.

I run down, getting all the mobs. I then hit invoke and beastial rage. At this point I also hit either roar or alpha male. This secures aggro. After I have done this I bring the mobs back to the zhen. Beastial rage has already refilled my chi, etc.

This. b:victory

Event Pots that heal 3.5K HP are very nice for such occasions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • Redmenace - Heavens Tear
    Redmenace - Heavens Tear Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I'm greedy in the big room.

Either 1/2 the room, or the whole room - as the others have said, invoke, roar and beastial rage for chi. Right after invoke, I stand up, Cloud Eruption for 2 sparks, Demon Beastial Onslaught (35% crit for 6 sec), then Crab Meat / Armageddon, then back to tiger and take to BB.

;)

RedMenace

\who needs DD, feh
    \\kill em all myself
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Roxel - Sanctuary
    Roxel - Sanctuary Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    ok any barb that wastes their time getting cloud eruption for fcc is retar.ded...u have beastial rage for a reason use it.next i can grab roughly 6-7 magic groups and as many physical ones as i please.start out with this combo and see if it works. trust me on this 1 i have been tanking fcc since level 73.
    grab mobs then invoke+beastial rage+roar+sunder+frighten+(this is if u have bb already up, have ToP, and know what u are doing)switch forms and arma. i always have good squads and almost never lose aggro and only die if the cleric i have is "special"......u barbs know what i mean by that. as for a fast run...avoid as many bishops and mobs as u can and pull as many mobs as u can i 1 pull if u miss a few its ok they don't give enough exp to pop hyper or waste time on.
    at level 93 i still get 50% from 30 mins of hyper and now i get about 65% because i run 4 man squads. hope this all helps b:victory
  • Redmenace - Heavens Tear
    Redmenace - Heavens Tear Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    ok any barb that wastes their time getting cloud eruption for fcc is retar.ded...u have beastial rage for a reason use it.next i can grab roughly 6-7 magic groups and as many physical ones as i please.start out with this combo and see if it works. trust me on this 1 i have been tanking fcc since level 73.
    grab mobs then invoke+beastial rage+roar+sunder+frighten+(this is if u have bb already up, have ToP, and know what u are doing)switch forms and arma. i always have good squads and almost never lose aggro and only die if the cleric i have is "special"......u barbs know what i mean by that. as for a fast run...avoid as many bishops and mobs as u can and pull as many mobs as u can i 1 pull if u miss a few its ok they don't give enough exp to pop hyper or waste time on.
    at level 93 i still get 50% from 30 mins of hyper and now i get about 65% because i run 4 man squads. hope this all helps b:victory

Thanks for your constructive criticism.

You can go back to your Crayons now, Junior.

RedMenace

\just because you do it differently, doesn't make it the Only Way
    \\unreadable blocks of text, full of insults and lacking punctuation don't help
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Tremblewith - Heavens Tear
    Tremblewith - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,558 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    On the big rooms, and just in general - I grab many groups of mobs together -> Roar -> Invoke -> Beastal Rage. I take most groups of mobs to Shade, and do the same technique. Cleric BBs of course, and rest of squad DDs mostly. It's always to your benefit to get bramble from the veno. I often use sunder for a massive AoE w/ heals.
  • WnbTank - Archosaur
    WnbTank - Archosaur Posts: 1,472 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Spam alpha male and FR

wait for after lv90 and you have a good tt90 equip and some bonus to mag def (neck or belt..or both) before doing more than3 -4 groups of mobs.

Solid shield will help you when fetching mobs .

ask the veno to give you bramble back after you use alpha male ( alpha male cancels bramble)

try to obtain the maximum of your sage/demon skills @89 (sage for real tank)

and that should be it.

Just ignore that ****, tbh, just bramble stuff was good, though good venos do that w/o asking, if veno doesn`t do that, explain them & they come just that much better venos for FC. If you are mp charmed and have psy, ask for vengeance(it don`t really burn mp charm like you would think), it`s good with charm, w/o one it`s suicidal. Oh how I love those psys who put it on me and I notice it while pulling... Never died due it, but has been way too close for my liking(no mp = no turtle).

Alpha male while turtle is going up->roar(Doing these skills in different order = fail as alpha resets the aggro you had from roar)-> Our chi skill, bestial rage?->surf impact. And no sunder, it just takes chi you can`t spare, assuming you want fast runs, `cause you would have to duel/do other **** for getting 2 sparks/rely on veno, unless you are sage, but dunno how fast the regain chi. Whit that combo you dun need to wait, you can pull em straight under BB as long as you are lil ahead of mobs = you can throw alpha b4 they get to cleric. But don`t use alpha on while you do those 2-3 groups, just waste, no need for it really, DDs wont normally take aggro with those. And I usually lag while pulling = I take hits from phy mobs while I`m running straight away from them, those event pots are good for those situations as my charm rarely ticks.

Oh and your hp is good for full pulls, done those since my hp got over 10k. But just don`t pull more that 4-5 magic mob groups, more is just plain charm ****, at least with rather lowish hp, if somebody QQs about doing that, tell them to pull themselves. Had one BM who wanted to save 30s by **** my charm...

Reason I use alpha is the dmg return as my genie is golden pink one with a lot of str = my alpha lasts 10s+ = The dmg return keeps aggro rather well. It should work quite nicely with weaker genies also or at least better than "Use it as last resort when DD pulls aggro", it`s just usually too late to use it, when DD has aggro, they usually die too fast to be saved, unless they have absolute domain.

*Extra* I really hate when ppl from other classes come with advices that are totally idiotic. I try to point out flaws in here, didn`t put in start as nobody likes long posts and only read the start. But the flaws:

TT90 for pulling more than 3-4 groups? I had TT70 bracers & boots, legendary 77 leggins and crappy quest chest, no refines, when I pulled full xp room first time. I don`t remember ticking my charm that time. Doing more of those slowing mag mobs is just stupid as it`s damn hard to gather em in small tight group, they like to have range for you & our armor really hates mag attacks.

Solid shield is a big no. Prolly worst thing you can do while pulling, well actually turtle would be worse. But solid shield = slows you = a lot of mobs hitting you = way more dmg taken than w/o using one. Pros: none, losses: Energy from genie & slow & dmg you take for nothing.

And what comes to Demon/Sage stuff, imo Sage barb are better only at pulling catas in TW, on other things, both choices are good. It doesn`t really matter on most cases do you have that lil extra hp you would get from sage trueform or nor, it`s the other classes ppl who think it`s like huge deal.

*/Extra*

Ps. Fail demon barb, QQ.

Pps. If somebody has good critique about my arguments, tell em, wouldn`t mind becoming better barb :).
    Trolling Sid since So Hot :o
  • Qingzi - Harshlands
    Qingzi - Harshlands Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Just ignore that ****, tbh, just bramble stuff was good, though good venos do that w/o asking, if veno doesn`t do that, explain them & they come just that much better venos for FC. If you are mp charmed and have psy, ask for vengeance(it don`t really burn mp charm like you would think), it`s good with charm, w/o one it`s suicidal. Oh how I love those psys who put it on me and I notice it while pulling... Never died due it, but has been way too close for my liking(no mp = no turtle).

Invoke doesn't cost mp
  • WnbTank - Archosaur
    edited April 2010

Invoke doesn't cost mp

Hmm.. I was sure it made me almost die at one occasion, dunno if it was cause i couldn`t roar in time -->few DDs dead-->my invoke ended with lots of mobs hitting me-->nearly dead. I haven`t ever checked, just thought invoke takes so lil mp you don`t really notice that, but I really need to figure out what almost killed me with vengeance.
  • FireCattz - Sanctuary
    FireCattz - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for all the advice!! I tanked a run this morning and kept good aggro and no one died!!

Basically I had 2 problems with the squads I was with, wiz/bm started aoe's too early so I lost them or I ran too far into BB before securing aggro....plus used skills in the wrong order. I'd Roar just before going into bb range then hit alpha almost right after. I didn't know they just reset aggro. Chi hasn't been a problem as I know about spamming Bestial Rage while gathering. Yes, I do have Cloud Eruption on my genie....comes in handy in hairy situations when I need a spark fast. Other than that, I don't really use it. Gonna try to get faster next run as this last one I was still pulling 3-4 groups at a time, and only 1 at a time of the magic mob groups.

Again...thanks for the advice it was all really helpful...and since I'm a tank build and cata puller...going Sage when the time comes!!
  • Korsov - Heavens Tear
    Korsov - Heavens Tear Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Alpha male while turtle is going up->roar(Doing these skills in different order = fail as alpha resets the aggro you had from roar)

I could be wrong, but wont roar reset the agro you gained from alpha male in the same way alpha male would reset agro you gained from roar? I'm pretty sure both are reset agro skills. I only use alpha if I miss a mob with the initial roar or if roar is on cooldown and the squad is screaming for the next pull.
  • WnbTank - Archosaur
    edited April 2010
    I could be wrong, but wont roar reset the agro you gained from alpha male in the same way alpha male would reset agro you gained from roar? I'm pretty sure both are reset agro skills. I only use alpha if I miss a mob with the initial roar or if roar is on cooldown and the squad is screaming for the next pull.

They both reset the aggro, but alpha alone wont keep aggro, so I rather use is just to keep cleric alive, letting em hit me out of BB, not the way I wanna do it. I have done with only hitting roar, leading into somebody`s death, hitting alpha in the start has kept the squad alive as long as they DD enough to kill mobs in time... But tbh, I dunno what the problem is for me just roaring, it just haven`t been enough, so I have added alpha to get that nasty return so I can keep aggro well. It just didn`t work for me so I had to find another way doing it.
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    And no sunder, it just takes chi you can`t spare, assuming you want fast runs
    this is the only thing i dont generally agree with. ive met some barbs, who instead of invoke, use a maxed sunder to keep themselves healed while they did it. they did not only keep aggro, but stayed alive as well, despite some of them being underequipped compared to some barbs.

guess it generally has to come down to individual preference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • BigFIuffy - Archosaur
    BigFIuffy - Archosaur Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    FC is really simple jus grab the mobs get to wherever ur going

i use beastial rage b4 i get to the mobs thats jus me then

invoke ---> roar ---> alpha male ---> sunder (my chi has already filled again) ---> surf impact (if they not already dead)

i always have alot of chi in FC because im heaven and can chi charge

maybe demons and under 89 jus dnt sunder i dno
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cybetron - Harshlands
    Cybetron - Harshlands Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Being a Demon barb i don't have the easy access to chi that the sages have, n i hate asking venos for chi, so i save sunder for the absolute last option.. Usually, gather->invoke->roar->frighten->surf impact is enuf (with beastial rage still on) + bms dg, venos amp and psy's or wiz's aoe is enuf to kill most of the mobs..

When i see that im losing aggro to the archer or wiz, which happens only in the last aoe room, i use alpha male to reset aggro n then sunder for a quick aggro gain.. has worked fine till now.. oh and almost forgot, firestorm is also a good way to maintain aggro on the phy mobs if ur dds are low lvled and are taking time killing them.. demon firestorm doesn't do much dmg in pvp but its good for the mobs (not to mention the 25% chance to cast w/out a spark)..

Demon firestorm does half of the dmg that lvl 10 sunder does, for half the time and uses one spark.. since i usually end up with 3 sparks after each mob gather i rather use firestorm than sunder and ask for chi.. just my two cents b:pleased
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    My technique is basically similar but there's a few differences.

I generally grab 2-3 groups at a time, more if there's a wizzy set up it just depends upon the squad composition. I run through the first group, then run TO the second group, frighten, and use the water aoe (forget the name) then run towards the zhen. At about 1/2way back I'll stop and use the aoe again. Then continue on to the zhen.

Once in the zhen I'll Sunder, and regular attack while watching the cleric's life bar...if it goes down I'll alpha male, and throw in an occasional roar.

I don't think there's any single way to tank an FF. I think it depends upon each barb's playstyle, the composition of the squad and the ability level/experience of the squad itself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Dont' die. That's the best advice...woot...

When you get back to group wait for BM/DD's to steal aggro then use Alpha male to take it back....

If you lose it again roar...

If you lose it again it shouldn't be a big deal...most of the mobs should be dead.

As a bm I expect to take aggro from the barb initially. And if I notice HP's of squishy's dropping I use alpha male. I don't count on the barb to save them.
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Dont' die. That's the best advice...woot...

When you get back to group wait for BM/DD's to steal aggro then use Alpha male to take it back....

If you lose it again roar...

If you lose it again it shouldn't be a big deal...most of the mobs should be dead.

As a bm I expect to take aggro from the barb initially. And if I notice HP's of squishy's dropping I use alpha male. I don't count on the barb to save them.

Can you even remember where FF is, after your 2 weeks of non playing?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Can you even remember where FF is, after your 2 weeks of non playing?

Of course, its at the tele stone......b:victory
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PlumDumb - Heavens Tear
    PlumDumb - Heavens Tear Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    pffft i beat ff's without barbs and venos..yeah hp increase is good but once you know the place its a cake walk.But i shy away from the ff runs for the fact its just a breeding ground of new fail higher lvls these days using stones.