Unlimited flying? Wtf?

Options
RhythmStorm - Heavens Tear
RhythmStorm - Heavens Tear Posts: 22 Arc User
edited April 2010 in Cleric
Okay, well, me and another guild member got into an argument this morning. It all started when I commented on how I never realized how brilliant cleric buffs are, up until my noob archer got buffed and I could fly forever. The guild member [also a cleric, but like, 10 lvls under my main, Rhythm] then proceeded to state that clerics don't consume mana when they fly [with the original wings], because when he was lvl 1 he could fly all day.
I always believed that the Natural Elven Wings do consume a cleric's MP, but their regeneration is just too high, it is also what I've heard from numerous people on the forums/in-game.
Now, the argument ended quite a while ago [I decided to be the mature one and not reply to him] but I'm still curious. Do clerics honestly not need any mana to fly with the Natural Elven Wings, even at level 1?

b:surrender
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:cute
Post edited by RhythmStorm - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Yes, clerics consume mana flying on the starter wings. As you said, they just regen it fast enough that you don't notice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    They do consume mana, you're just able to regen it faster.

However, even at level 1 a cleric will have enough base MP recovery to be able to fly without worry as long as nothing aggros on them.
  • Shulkie - Dreamweaver
    Shulkie - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    yup and you can easily prove to your friend the truth of the matter..with a level 1 elf find something that agros (but wont 1 shot) and fly to it. as soon as you are hit and enter "fight" mode, your mana regeneration rate drops and you start eating mana just to stay in the air never mind fighting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    There is no place in a perfect world for double entendre!
  • RhythmStorm - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Thank you so much for answering, everyone. b:cute

The fact that I was right makes me feel superior.
    b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Aya__ - Heavens Tear
    Aya__ - Heavens Tear Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    up to lvl 30 natural elven wings do consume mana. archer regeneration is slower so they see it during normal flight, clerics is faster so you can see it only when trying to heal from air. tested myself on darkbreeds, sadaaki tanked on ground, i was flying above and spamming ih - and sometimes shooting - and had to stop to regenerate mana from time to time because if mp was too low i would drop on ground (which means you _must_ have mp to fly and you use some mana to keep yourself in the air)
    after lvl 30 both classess really can fly indefinitely.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sylredrae - Sanctuary
    Sylredrae - Sanctuary Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    up to lvl 30 natural elven wings do consume mana. archer regeneration is slower so they see it during normal flight, clerics is faster so you can see it only when trying to heal from air. tested myself on darkbreeds, sadaaki tanked on ground, i was flying above and spamming ih - and sometimes shooting - and had to stop to regenerate mana from time to time because if mp was too low i would drop on ground (which means you _must_ have mp to fly and you use some mana to keep yourself in the air)
    after lvl 30 both classess really can fly indefinitely.

I've heard differently. One of my cleric friends told me that the default elven wings willl still drain mana, but as your regen gets better, you don't notice it as much. She said that your mana regen will cancel out the wing's mana cost while fighting at lvl 60 or so. Even so, I hated using the natural elven wings to fight during my 40s-50s, because without mana, I will drop like a stone. I tested it during marriage quest back when I still had the natural elven wings. The thing with marriage quest mobs is that when they attack using that lighting strike, they will sap both your mana and your hp, using it constantly when you attack from range. One quest requires you to kill this kind of mob... but in the air... Needless to say, they forcibly shot my mana down to zero, which caused me to plummet from the air and into the lake... And I was in my 60s-70s...
    Syredrae ~ lvl 100 Cleric (main character)

Auryl ~ lvl 100 Venomancer

Mainas ~ lvl 80 Barbarian

Suirune ~ lvl 2X Psychic
  • RhythmStorm - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2010
    Options
    b:pleased
    I never knew the original wings stop consuming an archer's MP at lvl 30. That's great, since I really don't like the look of the Eagle Wings [I personally think they're hideous and slow and you should only use them if you like, lost your original wings or something] and I'm too cheap to buy the Boutique wings... for now.
    But I am kind of concerned about killing the flying mobs at higher lvls with my archer. b:shocked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Qingzi - Harshlands
    Qingzi - Harshlands Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I never knew the original wings stop consuming an archer's MP at lvl 30. That's great, since I really don't like the look of the Eagle Wings [I personally think they're hideous and slow and you should only use them if you like, lost your original wings or something] and I'm too cheap to buy the Boutique wings... for now.
    But I am kind of concerned about killing the flying mobs at higher lvls with my archer. b:shocked

If you like, lost your original wings or something, just buy new ones from the Priest guy in Plume

Edit: The Priest guy might actually be a Priest woman
  • DeathBanana - Heavens Tear
    DeathBanana - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,674 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options

They don't stop consuming MP at 30, just that they get eagle wings at 30. Which don't consume MP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9x Demon Cleric
  • truekossy
    edited April 2010
    Options

They don't. The original wings will always consume MP. Also, I completely agree with you on the eagle wings which is why I'd always invest in focus powders when grinding in the air before I used CS wings. That way, the flight penalty AND most of the MP used in combat winds up getting covered fairy easily.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    It is actually lvl 28 although they may lose it Archers are regenning mana faster and get more of it as they lvl up.The only thing the eagle wings are good for are for fast hasted flights as natural elven wing can't get up to 2.5 m/s even with flight mastery maxed.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • truekossy
    edited April 2010
    Options
    It is actually lvl 28 although they may lose it Archers are regenning mana faster and get more of it as they lvl up.The only thing the eagle wings are good for are for fast hasted flights as natural elven wing can't get up to 2.5 m/s even with flight mastery maxed.
    No. The only ways to increase MP recovery rate are from boosting mag, having a regen buff, or using gear with +MP recovery. When it comes to MP itself, leveling only affects how much of it you have by giving you a little bit more.

This means that for archers, you'll either be wearing eagles in combat, or using +regen gear/buffs to negate the penalty from natural wings.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    Options
    truekossy wrote: »
    No. The only ways to increase MP recovery rate are from boosting mag, having a regen buff, or using gear with +MP recovery. When it comes to MP itself, leveling only affects how much of it you have by giving you a little bit more.

This means that for archers, you'll either be wearing eagles in combat, or using +regen gear/buffs to negate the penalty from natural wings.

I have already done this with another archer on alt account at lvl 28 I stopped losing mana.I didn't use any mp regen pots or anything powders.I just kept flying as was able to to attack and gaining spark as a lot to do with it.I was able to go afk at lvl 28 without worrying about crashing.
  • ding74
    ding74 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I can say for a fact that the Elven Wings continue to drain mana for an archer regardless of what level. I have a high level Archer alt and he's fallen many times during world quest using those wings. His MAG level is 8 I think. I fixed the problem by using CS wings!
  • Qingzi - Harshlands
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I have already done this with another archer on alt account at lvl 28 I stopped losing mana.I didn't use any mp regen pots or anything powders.I just kept flying as was able to to attack and gaining spark as a lot to do with it.I was able to go afk at lvl 28 without worrying about crashing.

Have you put points into magic?
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    Options
    No points into magic all points mostly into dex. except strength and vitality.
  • Qingzi - Harshlands
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Then unless you have a cleric CGS (Celestial Guardian's Seal) they will consume mana and you'll eventually drop like a stone
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I don't have Celestial Guardian Seal on me and I never drop if you want make up an alt on Sanc. and I will show.

It seems like I do have a piece of armour that gives me +2 mp regen a cape.When I change it I do lose mp strange it never happens on my Cleric even without CGS.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/8430/20100426134833.jpg

I going to keep that got long flights and use eagle wig for fight however this being my alt account mostly a catshop account.I won't be using that one much.
  • tukiyem
    tukiyem Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    it is not strange at all, original white wing really takes up 2 MP/ second, if the mana regen is over 2 mp/second, you will not lose any mp.
  • Aydamn - Lost City
    Aydamn - Lost City Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I rolled cleric BECAUSE you could fly indefinitely. lol >_>