Help! I can't perform a magic attack with my staff

flamingskull77
flamingskull77 Posts: 2 Arc User
edited April 2010 in General Discussion
Hi all,

I've just started playing PW. Now here's the thing. I know how to attack and how to use a magic attack but I can't figure out how to perform a magic attack with my staff. Yesterday I bought this bamboo staff but I can only use a melee attack, not a magic attack.
Post edited by flamingskull77 on

Comments

• Pegasi - Lost City
    Pegasi - Lost City Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I forget all the lower level stuff, but did you make sure the weapon is a magic weapon? made sure to click the mob then your skill, or are you hitting the wrong hotkey?

It should be the same as before unless it's a melee or ranged physical weapon of some sort...?

EDIT: If you're a Psychic you can only use that little orb, and BM's and physical attackers can't use their skills without the right weapon... So, more details and maybe I can help? Make sure to check and compare the weapon needed to cast your skill, with the one you have.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    When Saukey decides she can swim, I know I didn't get the DC pop-up again. Wish she swam when it matters.
  • Dea_Tacita - Sanctuary
    Dea_Tacita - Sanctuary Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Have a read through this thread. Same question, lots of helpful answers.
  • Kaneharo - Dreamweaver
    Kaneharo - Dreamweaver Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    it sounds like you may not have enough points for it. Sometimes when switching from one weapon to another, the previous weapon may have some stat modifier that had allowed you to equip the weapon, when you probably shouldn't have been able to. As a result, you have a weapon that you aren't supposed to be able to equip yet, so the game will treat it as if it were a weapon not suited for your class, in the sense that you might not be able to attack.
    (☞゚ヮ゚)☞
    ☜(゚ヮ゚☜) Pew Pew Pew!
    Quotes of Awesomeness:
    "that word, "solo". i don't think it means what you think it means." - LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Inferno - Sanctuary
    _Inferno - Sanctuary Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    What class are you playing? Make sure its a magic class before buying magic weapons. Well for starters to use a magic attack, click once on the mob you want to attack then click the magic spell. If you can't find it, press R. I think the main problem here is you clicking twice on the mob, which makes you melee it.
    Hope it helps =)
    Characters:
    _Inferno 101 Arcane Sage Crit Wizard b:cool
    magnumcroft 8x Fist/Axe Blademaster b:laugh

youtube.com/magnumcroft
    ^Sanctuary's TW vids yo!
  • Luixo - Sanctuary
    Luixo - Sanctuary Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    You may need to click a spell to use a magic attack, which I think you click r, then drag them into the bottom or right boxes,then click them to use an magic attack
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Alchemist_ - Dreamweaver
    _Alchemist_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    POINT: if you are playing a PSYCHIC, they can equip magic weapons but cant use them. only SPHERES. goodluck bud
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Prepare for a phantasmagoric panoply of magical powers!
    Your abilities will be mine!
  • LifeHunting - Heavens Tear
    LifeHunting - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    um.....sounds like your coming from RS...=.=

In PWI, there is no auto-cast. You have to move the spell to your hotkey bar (or just click from the skill menu) to do the attack.
  • MistaBwanden - Sanctuary
    MistaBwanden - Sanctuary Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Give us more information.
    What class are you playing?
    Like others have said, if you're playing a Psychic, you can only use your soul sphere.
    Sin can only use daggers for their skills.
    Let us know what class you are playing, and we can give you an answer. :)
  • flamingskull77
    flamingskull77 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Have a read through this thread. Same question, lots of helpful answers.

This thread is helpful indeed. So if I get it right a staff does not add a new attack but simply enhances my other magic attack skill. I got a bit confused because the in-game weapon description says the staff has a both a melee and a magic attack.

My character is a level 3 wizard (started yesterday).
  • AeonieX - Heavens Tear
    AeonieX - Heavens Tear Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    The physical attack and magic attack it shows on weapon stats are your base attack stats. i.e. if your base magic attack was 235-270 and the skill says you deal 100% base magic dmg + 1000 dmg it means you will hit 1235-1270 with that attack.

Edit: LifeHunting is right..sounds like you're talking about auto-cast from the way you worded your OP, auto-attack is melee only no matter the weapon.
    AeonieX - Hybrid Vit Veno 6x
    HarmieX - Pure Mag Psychic 6x
    KyraneiX - Axe/Fist BM 4x
    KyranthoX - Axe Barb 2x
    KyyranthoX - Hybrid Cleric 2x
    AskariX - Pure Dex Assassin 2x
    KyraneiiX - Pure Dex Archer 0x
    AeoniiX - Pure Mag Wizard 0x
  • Fritigern - Lost City
    Fritigern - Lost City Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Hmm, can't attack with your staff eh?