A few noob questions.

RhythmStorm - Heavens Tear
RhythmStorm - Heavens Tear Posts: 22 Arc User
edited April 2010 in Archer
Alright:

1) Is Vicious Arrow really as useless as people say it is? My archer is lvl 26 at the moment, and I still don't have that skill [I know I'll have to get it sooner or later, but I don't want to waste precious SP points on it atm] because I've been told that it sucks by many archers in-game.
2) Should I add vit at all? Some archers I've talked to said pure dex build sucked. I still went pure dex though. Then in the early 20s I started dying too much and gave into the pressure; I now have 10 vit. So is it worth adding any more at all? Or should I just socket my armor with Citrines? Is that gonna be enough? x.x;
3) Not really an archer question, but how often to genies get Affinity points? I want Tree of Protection for my archer's Zeal, but I'm in my mid-20s now and killing is getting tough without heals. She still doesn't have enough affinity to get the skill, by the way. And yeah, I know, HP pots ftw. But some extra heals would be nice too.

b:thanks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:cute
Post edited by RhythmStorm - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    1) Is Vicious Arrow really as useless as people say it is? My archer is lvl 26 at the moment, and I still don't have that skill [I know I'll have to get it sooner or later, but I don't want to waste precious SP points on it atm] because I've been told that it sucks by many archers in-game.

You need to get it at level 1 in order to later obtain Sharpened Tooth Arrow. Otherwise, it is unnecessary to use the skill.

There may be an argument with regards to increasing DPS with DoT attacks when your normal auto-attack DPS is capped by the tank. However, full research has not been accomplished with regards to that strategy.
    2) Should I add vit at all? Some archers I've talked to said pure dex build sucked. I still went pure dex though. Then in the early 20s I started dying too much and gave into the pressure; I now have 10 vit. So is it worth adding any more at all? Or should I just socket my armor with Citrines? Is that gonna be enough? x.x;

You can do either / or. Most archers are fairly die-hard with regards to whether you go Pure Dex, Hybrid (vit), or Fist/Claw, so you will be receiving a multitude of opinions. In the end, as long as you kill the target before it reaches you, you are fine. The majority of archers go Pure Dex. Here is a poll: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=228922

Perhaps it is more about your gameplay than your build? Are you using the Trial Crossbow you acquire at level 19? What combo do you use to kill a target? Also, have you leveled your passive skills fully?
    3) Not really an archer question, but how often to genies get Affinity points? I want Tree of Protection for my archer's Zeal, but I'm in my mid-20s now and killing is getting tough without heals. She still doesn't have enough affinity to get the skill, by the way. And yeah, I know, HP pots ftw. But some extra heals would be nice too.

As the genie levels up, they acquire Affinity Points. It is a fixed progression; the only thing that affects it is the genie level. In other words, Lucky Points do not affect Affinity Points.
  • Smobo - Heavens Tear
    Smobo - Heavens Tear Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Alright:

b:thanks

1) You need to get level 1 vicious arrow to keep going down the skill chain. Other than that its garbage.

2)The answer to this question is a long argued debate. When it really comes down to it, you don't lose that much damage from adding some points to vit. Every 20 points in vit you're sacrificing 13.3% weapon damage, 1% crit and a small amount of evasion and accuracy for 260 HP. Its up to your play style, and what you plan to do with your archer to determine if this is worth it to you. One big thing to throw out there is that its a lot easier to add more HP via gear than it is dex.

However, you need to stay at least at 3 dex and 1str per level to wear all the gear at your level.

3) Genies get afinity points every 5 levels, except at 100+ wherere they get 1 point each level.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "People who quote themselves in their signatures are silly. I mean, they can just make up whatever **** they want, and since they said it in their siggie, its a quote." - Smobo
  • RhythmStorm - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2010
    Thank you for answering. ^^
    Yes, I knew I needed Vicious Arrow to get Sharpened Tooth Arrow. That's what I meant by "I know I'll have to get it sooner or later". b:chuckle
    3) Genies get afinity points every 5 levels, except at 100+ wherere they get 1 point each level.

Lol, I thought so. But, surprisingly, no one in my guild knew for sure. x.x;
    Are you using the Trial Crossbow you acquire at level 19? What combo do you use to kill a target? Also, have you leveled your passive skills fully?

Yeah, I'm using the Trial Crossbow, though I still have my Longbow thing from the lvl 20 Stash. Decided to keep it, just in case.
    The skills I use generally depend on the mob. It's usually Take Aim -> Frost Arrow -> regular -> Lightning Strike -> Winged Pledge. If the mob is still not dead [it usually is, unless I miss], I knockback, then do regular shots 'till it drops. Or kite it if I don't have enough mana. Or, if I still have plenty of HP/my Winged Shell is still activated, I switch my weapon to the lvl 14 fists and punch it 'till it dies. x3 But I'm not really a fist Archer. I do it simply for the giggles.
    And yes, all of my passive skills are up-to-date. Well, up-to-lvl.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited April 2010
    The skills I use generally depend on the mob. It's usually Take Aim -> Frost Arrow -> regular -> Lightning Strike -> Winged Pledge. If the mob is still not dead [it usually is, unless I miss], I knockback, then do regular shots 'till it drops. Or kite it if I don't have enough mana. Or, if I still have plenty of HP/my Winged Shell is still activated, I switch my weapon to the lvl 14 fists and punch it 'till it dies. x3 But I'm not really a fist Archer. I do it simply for the giggles.
    And yes, all of my passive skills are up-to-date. Well, up-to-lvl.

Generally, you can achieve greater damage-per-second by using normal attacks over skills, due to the fact they are faster (Lightning Strike is the same speed as a crossbow, I think, but in general, this fact is true). Try this:

Frost -> Normal -> Normal -> Knockback -> Normal the rest

That should work against 90% of the enemies you come across. If they do get close to you, then use some combination of your close-up skills: Winged Shell, Winged Pledge, Wingspan, and Metal skills. For harder mobs, put Take Aim in front of the combo.
    edited April 2010
    Okay, thanks a ton. ^^ I'll try that next time I'm on Fatal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited April 2010
    Ah, I got Quickshot's channel / cast time mixed up with Lightning Strike.
  • robintb
    robintb Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Generally, you can achieve greater damage-per-second by using normal attacks over skills, due to the fact they are faster (Lightning Strike is the same speed as a crossbow, I think, but in general, this fact is true). Try this:

Frost -> Normal -> Normal -> Knockback -> Normal the rest

That should work against 90% of the enemies you come across. If they do get close to you, then use some combination of your close-up skills: Winged Shell, Winged Pledge, Wingspan, and Metal skills. For harder mobs, put Take Aim in front of the combo.

From what level on should I be able to kill most creatures before they reach me? Because right now I can hardly kill anything without it reaching me. I'm lvl 30 atm
    edited April 2010
    robintb wrote: »
    From what level on should I be able to kill most creatures before they reach me? Because right now I can hardly kill anything without it reaching me. I'm lvl 30 atm

Fairly early, I believe.

- Are you using a good weapon?

- Are your passives maxed?

- Do you have Frost Arrow maxed?

- Are you going to max distance each time before starting to kill a mob?

- Do you have Blazing Arrow on at all times?

- Do you have a build that puts at least 7 points of Dex per two levels?
  • SerenityMare - Dreamweaver
    SerenityMare - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,211 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I have a nooby question too. b:shocked

What does squishy mean?... b:shutup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2010
    What does squishy mean?... b:shutup

Easy to kill. Low HP/defense. ^^ Like clerics. x3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]