Uncharmed?

Sgt - Raging Tide
Sgt - Raging Tide Posts: 35 Arc User
edited April 2010 in Barbarian
Can a barb become successful without the usage of any charms during tanking?
I was looking at the charm prices, and I don't think I can be able to get a steady supply...
Post edited by Sgt - Raging Tide on

Comments

• ZoanoAce - Lost City
    ZoanoAce - Lost City Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Well, take it from me, a Barb who is never charmed except in RB Gamma which I dont even do anymore xD, it's very possible and more fun that way if you are mainly tanking with a good cleric in squad or solo-grind/quest. The key to my independence of charms is a good support genie with Maxed ToP and Solid Shield, and using them whenever I can depending on the situation.

Along with your genie, in the case of solo grind and questing, Sunder and invoke are your friends. Especially with higher lvls, Sunder recovers a large portion of HP which reduces your HP potion usage, but may increase your MP potion usage though.
    Those are my 2 cents, but basically a Barb can be successful without usage of charms.
    ●Barb - The "natural" leader. Cool and collected, slow to anger, and typically jovial. Swift to act when friends' lives are in danger, and prepared to lay down his life if the situation calls for it.

End of lvling, starting of the unimaginableb:laughb:victoryb:coolb:cool
  • Feral_Wrath - Lost City
    Feral_Wrath - Lost City Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    If you need a charm while tanking you need to find a better cleric. Only time its really needed is rebirth, pvp and TW.
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    If you need a charm while tanking you need to find a better cleric.

This b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • GG_BIG_Y - Sanctuary
    GG_BIG_Y - Sanctuary Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Trust me barbs dont need charm unless u do gama, pvp or tw b:laugh
    even fcc is very do able without charm :P
    If u use a charm for anything other than the 3 things mentioned above u r just wasting ur money cause first off hp charm do not last a barb too long due to their huge hp pool and secondly u just lose all the fun in playin the game if u have a barb charmed for doin normal thingsb:shocked
    i have seen too many cash shop barbs just get destroyed while tanking without a charm causes they dont know to use their skills to keep their hp up because they were too dependent on charms lol
    Using Charm is for normal quest and tanking r for barbs who r not skilled enough to play their char
    Skilled barb dont use charm b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZoanoAce - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    Trust me barbs dont need charm unless u do gama, pvp or tw b:laugh
    even fcc is very do able without charm :P
    If u use a charm for anything other than the 3 things mentioned above u r just wasting ur money cause first off hp charm do not last a barb too long due to their huge hp pool and secondly u just lose all the fun in playin the game if u have a barb charmed for doin normal thingsb:shocked
    i have seen too many cash shop barbs just get destroyed while tanking without a charm causes they dont know to use their skills to keep their hp up because they were too dependent on charms lol
    Using Charm is for normal quest and tanking r for barbs who r not skilled enough to play their char
    Skilled barb dont use charm b:laugh
    ^This
    10 char
    ●Barb - The "natural" leader. Cool and collected, slow to anger, and typically jovial. Swift to act when friends' lives are in danger, and prepared to lay down his life if the situation calls for it.

• Maragon - Dreamweaver
    Maragon - Dreamweaver Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    If you need a charm while tanking you need to find a better cleric.

Yep.

on my barb lets see....tanked my own fb69. tanked krimson at 73 and no charms for me....really helps to know good clerics.

using sunder to keep up hp is a mana drain but at 59 i got a nature's breath necklace (+7 mana regen) my calas tend to kill me too fast on normal grinding so i still have to med every 15-20 mobs but with a weapon without zerk that necklace and sunder should keep both bars up pretty well. (just dont use sunder on every cooldown only after ur hp is down abt 2k.

as was said making a habit of not using charms makes what could be a really bad situation much easier because you will know better what to do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WnbTank - Archosaur
    WnbTank - Archosaur Posts: 1,472 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I tend to use charm on FC, though I could do it w/o one with good cleric. Problem is I need runs fast to get to 90 --> Have to do some runs with not too skilled squads -->Charm makes sure no squad wipes. Haven`t done gamma, `cause got to FC lvls so quick w/o it and story of fail in first wave haunted my mind, not really motivating factor to start finding squad for it. TW & PvP, sure, charm for those, but for the rest, no need for charms, I tend to avoid TTs/Pole/Krimson/etc while charmed(easy w/o, but tend to tick charm few times). Charm is more like safety for no deaths, if your not sure about the squad. Imo charm is not necessary, but makes me breath lighter when things go wrong.
    Trolling Sid since So Hot :o
  • Fuzzy_Wuzzy - Raging Tide
    Fuzzy_Wuzzy - Raging Tide Posts: 770 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Kinda off OP's topic but
    ...Problem is I need runs fast to get to 90 --> Have to do some runs with not too skilled squads...

Running frost with unskilled squads is not a good idea simply to push up your level. This will perpetuate the cycle and soon a majority of the 9x+ will be as useless as they were are 2x. Fuzzy sees this happening daily on his server.
    ...I tend to avoid TTs/Pole/Krimson/etc while charmed(easy w/o, but tend to tick charm few times).

Fuzzy a little confused by that statement.. how can it be easier without than with if it ticks when you have one? And why avoid Pole or Krim or nearly anything for that fact at lvl88? There isn't much of anything you shouldn't be able to tank at that point with or without a charm... unless all the 8x+ clerics on Arch server fumbled their way through a pile of ff's as well at the expense of all else...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I stopped wearing a charm at 90. I let my clerics know that I'm uncharmed and to not worry about charm ticks, just keep me alive and I'll keep them alive. (Seems to work with most clerics.)

I like running uncharmed, it's cheaper and somehow feels more liberating. I refuse, however, to give up my MP charm. They pay for themselves within a week, IMO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • WnbTank - Archosaur
    WnbTank - Archosaur Posts: 1,472 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Kinda off OP's topic but

Running frost with unskilled squads is not a good idea simply to push up your level. This will perpetuate the cycle and soon a majority of the 9x+ will be as useless as they were are 2x. Fuzzy sees this happening daily on his server.

Fuzzy a little confused by that statement.. how can it be easier without than with if it ticks when you have one? And why avoid Pole or Krim or nearly anything for that fact at lvl88? There isn't much of anything you shouldn't be able to tank at that point with or without a charm... unless all the 8x+ clerics on Arch server fumbled their way through a pile of ff's as well at the expense of all else...

If you don`t run with ppl, who are noobs, those noobs never learn it the proper way. For those runs I want charm, even if I`m ready to take noobs, I`m not ready to die for it. Sure I have charm left on other runs as well as I can`t take it off, but charm ticks so rarely on those that it doesn`t matter.

And what comes to avoiding Pole/etc, I just don`t want to tick my charm, plain simple. It`s just pointless to burn charm on those situations, when you can do those easy while uncharmed, that`s why I avoid those while charmed. Sure I could run around and do those charmed, but in the end I can burn charms to do them or not, there shouldn`t be a question which I prefer.
    Trolling Sid since So Hot :o
  • PlumDumb - Heavens Tear
    PlumDumb - Heavens Tear Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    yes all u need is pots..hell my 9x bm hasnt used a hp charm since lvl 88 cause i have dependable clerics and my wife is one hell of acleric.Plus my barb is 7x and hasnt died since bh39..like 3-4 weeks ago lol
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I stopped wearing a charm at 90. I let my clerics know that I'm uncharmed and to not worry about charm ticks, just keep me alive and I'll keep them alive. (Seems to work with most clerics.)

I like running uncharmed, it's cheaper and somehow feels more liberating. I refuse, however, to give up my MP charm. They pay for themselves within a week, IMO.

I'm the same way. Actually whenever theres a quest reward that is either MP or HP charm - I choose MP charm. I've only ever had 3 HP charms.

1. Used for RB Gamma (bronze HP charm - we were all inexperienced and the DD's were NOT MP charmed, so we failed)
    2. Tidal Protection from expansion quest (still wearing). Half of the 1.2 Million HP charm got eaten up in what wasn't even a full FC run. Basically when the cleric notices you're wearing a charm, they decide they don't need to heal you anymore. Oh.. and the reason the charm got ate up so much is because people AoE'd on that boss that spawns hands, and they all died except for me. I solod the boss basically since it wasn't gonna get through my charm.
    3. Quest reward HP charm I saved and used when tanking several bosses in one run. Only ticked on Krimson (which I tanked at quest level) But methinks the cleric wasn't purifying in time, since when I tank Krimson now with my sister as cleric - my HP doesnt move (same as on Pole).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    VlLKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Depends which instance you're going to tank.

If you're inexp in rb, you will need that charm. Later you can be fine without it. In other instances a lot depends on yourself & the clerics... With some... You'll just die all the time even with apos+skills+pots & charms ._.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2010
    Depends which instance you're going to tank.

If you're inexp in rb, you will need that charm. Later you can be fine without it. In other instances a lot depends on yourself & the clerics... With some... You'll just die all the time even with apos+skills+pots & charms ._.

Or if your cleric gets distracted by something she'll let your life get down to 400hp (out of 15K) and then QQ about the MP cost of healing you. b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    Or if your cleric gets distracted by something she'll let your life get down to 400hp (out of 15K) and then QQ about the MP cost of healing you. b:laugh

b:cool She's making business. Either pay up or die
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2010
    b:cool She's making business. Either pay up or die

I give away mp pots before I enter an instance, if I'm with any uncharmed heavy mana users. (At least on my barb I do.) Usually it's 50 of the 5K mps to the cleric. It's a "pay it forward" kind of thing when i'm tanking. As I told someone last night...I like clerics, they keep me alive!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • ZoanoAce - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    I give away mp pots before I enter an instance, if I'm with any uncharmed heavy mana users. (At least on my barb I do.) Usually it's 50 of the 5K mps to the cleric. It's a "pay it forward" kind of thing when i'm tanking. As I told someone last night...I like clerics, they keep me alive!
    Nuff saidb:thanks

• VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010

b:embarrass WTF I'm moving to HT, they pay clerics there b:shocked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • anwynd
    anwynd Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    i didnt feel like reading all the posts lol but is it a good idea to use an mp one becus when i get one they last me a long dam time
    Collector of pet eggs, armor, weapons, fashion, and mountsb:chuckle
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    As barb, I barely used a charm. I use powders or genie which is quite enough. HP Charms are for extreme situations. I am fine with even a wizard and or cleric healing or my own powders + genie skill mix, depending on situation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I haven't tried Delta yet, I just got 90 so I'll be working on the quests for more pasts maps so I'll probably try it soon and will get a charm for it. Other than that I have never used an HP charm for any PvE instance, excpet for when I had charm left over from a TW.

Only thing I've ever bought a charm for so far is TW, and sometimes I regret even that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Sgt - Raging Tide
    Sgt - Raging Tide Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Wait, what genie and what skill do I use?
  • KingTank - Heavens Tear
    KingTank - Heavens Tear Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    tree of protection

At lvl 100 MP charms usually get sucked up bad cause of the bosses like Peachblossom in Abaddon and Nirvana, but you gotta love demon IH cause it recovers your MP aswell
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2010
    Sage Feral Regen is nice as well...adds an extra 25HP/sec recovery.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • KingTank - Heavens Tear
    KingTank - Heavens Tear Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Sage Feral Regen is nice as well...adds an extra 25HP/sec recovery.

+10MP recovery/sec :D
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Wait, what genie and what skill do I use?

Kingtank is right, tree of protection. Also there is second wind too, for earlier on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2010
    +10MP recovery/sec :D

Description is wrong on the skill bar then. Thanks for the infos!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin