Another Sage/Demon thread

Options
Axelire - Heavens Tear
Axelire - Heavens Tear Posts: 286 Arc User
edited April 2010 in Barbarian
I'm approaching the point where I need to make a choice between Sage and Demon.

I've already read through a number of Sage/Demon threads, but I am still unable to decide.

I've a few questions for fellow Barbs/Barbies and other classes.

1. As a Sage/Demon Barb/Barbie, what have you noticed you can do better than before in your chosen path? Is this of a significant difference?

2. In squad, are there certain bosses/situations where Sage/Demon would be preferred over the other?

3. Is there a huge difference in game play which path is chosen?

4. Which path is cheaper overall?

5. Lastly, what have you chosen and do you regret it?

b:thanks all in advance.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Axelire - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Bartack - Heavens Tear
    Bartack - Heavens Tear Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Another demon/sage thread!? NUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu................

Now that that is out of my system b:pleased

I am a Demon Barb

1: I kill things, lots and lots of things, much much faster...as a barb and barb only player, it scared me at first. Also, depending on squad, aggro is less of a flesh ream spam. (this could be due to lvl11 flesh ream though IDK)

2: I havent run into any yet.

3: I have no way of knowing first hand, unless I build a sage barb from scratch...not gonna happen.

4: most Demon skills still tend to cost a little less than Sage on HT server, but the gap is closing due to tokens.

5: Again, i went demon, and dont regret it yet lol. But my longtime goal in this game was to be a demon barb with zerk axes, -int gears, and demon Bestial Onslaught. Mission completed b:dirty
  • Man - Raging Tide
    Man - Raging Tide Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I think in a nutshell, sage barbs are better at pulling a cata, and probably tanking the really hard bosses like harpy wraith. Whereas demon barbs are better at everything else.

I choose demon barb and have not looked back. When i see sage barbs with a crit event cape and tt100 axe and just shake my head at the waste.

Something that has been on my mind is if sage barbs are really better chi wise or pulling a cata. Beast Kings inspiration > master Li's technique. Demon bestial is pretty good for chi, not sure which is better. Slam is good for chi, and frighten and surf impact has a chance to stun which may come in handy. And then demon roar to kill the pesky fist bms.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Basingeth - Lost City
    Basingeth - Lost City Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    1. As a Sage/Demon Barb/Barbie, what have you noticed you can do better than before in your chosen path? Is this of a significant difference?

2. In squad, are there certain bosses/situations where Sage/Demon would be preferred over the other?

I'm a sage barbarian.

1. I've had two sweet changes. I no longer worry about chi at all, which is a big relief. I also rarely have to worry about my hp, unless I have a really low cleric.

2. nope

3. I know most sage's are for tw and most demon's pk more. I personally pk a good bit also, it's awesome to be ganked and come out on top, and that's in human form.

4. On my server demon is cheaper from my experience.

5. I do not regret my choice one bit. I love being a sage barb. I can tank anything that comes my way and I can pk to my heart's content. I also stand toe to toe against demon barbs my level and come out on top over 50% portion of the time.

I will say this: Your choice wont do anything for you if you can't play your character skillwise. I've met multiple 100 barbs lately with full cash-shop gear that are horrible players. No amount of money and demon/sage difference can make up for skill.
  • ZoanoAce - Lost City
    ZoanoAce - Lost City Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I will say this: Your choice wont do anything for you if you can't play your character skillwise. I've met multiple 100 barbs lately with full cash-shop gear that are horrible players. No amount of money and demon/sage difference can make up for skill.
    ^This +1000000000000000000000000 to the nth power!
    This why I have had no problems in my Culti decision, as it pertains to my playstyle. I doesnt matter which is better or worse if you cant even hold your own in the simplest of situations as a Barbarbian.

Funny how this is rarely pointed out in the majority of threads I've seen over the months past, and by a Sage Barbarian even!b:victoryb:chuckleb:thanks
    ●Barb - The "natural" leader. Cool and collected, slow to anger, and typically jovial. Swift to act when friends' lives are in danger, and prepared to lay down his life if the situation calls for it.

End of lvling, starting of the unimaginableb:laughb:victoryb:coolb:cool
  • CrimsomNoir - Sanctuary
    CrimsomNoir - Sanctuary Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    this was useful, granted I need to gain over 70 levels on my barb before I even need to start worring about this. ps do not play when you have not slept in 4 days, was so sleepy that I messed up the build on my first barb and ended up putting about 20 points into magic.
    Please don't do anything crazy, leave that to the
    experts, its the smartest choice you'll every make,
    trust me, you do trust me don't you, you do realise
    that trusting me is not a wise choice if you wish to
    keep your mental health in the sanity department.
  • Feral_Wrath - Lost City
    Feral_Wrath - Lost City Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    -I am sage. Sage barbs are better suited for pulling cata in tw. Period. I don't pvp much and i'm fully built just for cata pulling. 252 str build just to equip pan ghus giant axe(best cata pulling weapon)and still be able to wear 99/nirvana gear. This maximizes the benefit i get from the extra 10% HP. But thats not to say that demons CANT pull cata effectively lol. Some of the best cata pullers on lost city are/were demon, they just have to refine/socket their gear higher than us sages. b:laugh Of course skill is a factor as well.

-Although sage is considered the choice of tanks, with their higher HP and slightly higher p.def....I suppose demons actually hold aggro better with their higher damage in tiger form. I never really have a problem holding aggro as sage, but this is technically true.

-It boils down to which sage/demon skills you are able to get. If you're able to get the best demon skills you'll notice things die much faster. b:shocked

-Probably about the same for skills nowadays. If you want to have high HP its cheaper to do with sage, if you want to own in pvp its cheaper for demon.

I am a Sage barb. Although at times I wish i had the raw power of a demon barb, I do not regret my choice. I LOVE pulling cata and sage is the best fit for that.
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    OMG not again b:surrender

Just look at skills and look at the threads again please. Whatever you want choose it, take the facts from the skills from the actual demon / sage barbs and the skill books. I'm going sage on my barb btw (I said that a lot <.<). And sage / demon is not better than demon / sage. L2 use skills properly and there is NP.

Edit: That said crits and HP can be gained in gears and there you go

Inb4flaming? b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Sage = Higher HP and Defense. PvE-based

Demon = Higher attack power and crit rates. PvP-Based

(Stereotypically)

I went Sage and I am loving it. lol

Although at times I wish i had the raw power of a demon barb, I do not regret my choice.

GXs give us alittle bit of that Demon quality. >:]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • Cirax - Dreamweaver
    Cirax - Dreamweaver Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Most of my answers seem similar to Feral_Wrath's, but I'll try to mention anything else I can think of :P

I'm a sage barb.

1. As a Sage/Demon Barb, what have you noticed you can do better than before in your chosen path? Is this of a significant difference?

I honestly think whether one goes demon or sage, you'll find many things you do daily will become much easier. Killing, tanking, pulling, anything. The demon/sage skills have a very good 'base' improvement, then it branches of to sage/demon enhancements.

Again, in most PvE situations, it seems like it doesn't matter which type of barb is tanking - only bosses like Harpy Wraith is where the sage's extra 10% hp in tiger form can really help (but demon barbs can always compensate that HP with refines/shards anyways).

Yes - demons are significantly better-suited for PvP (but as others have mentioned, the skill of the player is much more important).

On DW, most demon skills are slightly cheaper than sage skills.

I like pulling cata's in TW a lot, so I don't regret going sage. They do pull catapults a bit better than demons (all other things being equal) because their main focus isn't killing others, which is more suited for demons. Also, I do like many of the sage buffs and skills over demon.

However, if I was more PvP oriented, I would definitely regret it, as demon barbs are much more adept in that area.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.

~Albert Einstien
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Sage = Higher HP and Defense. PvE-based
    Which can be gained in gears / citrine and garnet shards

Demon = Higher attack power and crit rates. PvP-Based
    Higher attack power is from sage barbs, demons get faster attack speed, all this can also be gained from gears and primeval stones

(Stereotypically)

I went Sage and I am loving it. lol
    I'd go sage too because I'd love to have as much HP and defense as possible

GXs give us alittle bit of that Demon quality. >:]
    Honestly, I prefer GX over zerk any day b:cute

b:victory
    10 chars
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • VonSabrewulf - Harshlands
    VonSabrewulf - Harshlands Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The more information i gather and the closer i look to all the benefits that Sage or Demon give a Barb, the more obvious it is that both paths are good. Depending on your build you might liek the extra defense or extra offense that each path offers. So sit down and look at your build/skills/armors/weapon and decide waht you want. Dont let anybody else tell you how to play your character since it the end it comes down to how much you know how to play. And of course how much $$$ your willing to spendb:chuckle
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Don't sage Barbs make better tanks though?
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Sage barbs have higher HP and Defense, Demon barbs hold aggro better. You decide.
  • ZoanoAce - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Sage barbs have higher HP and Defense, Demon barbs hold aggro better. You decide.
    Overall, it's balanced lol
    ●Barb - The "natural" leader. Cool and collected, slow to anger, and typically jovial. Swift to act when friends' lives are in danger, and prepared to lay down his life if the situation calls for it.

• AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    AlbireoTwo - Lost City Posts: 2,056 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    So, demons are better at PvP? I'll probably be pking a lot, so it would be very useful if someone could clear this up for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you Forsakenx for the picture. b:thanks
  • DaCage - Sanctuary
    DaCage - Sanctuary Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    So, demons are better at PvP? I'll probably be pking a lot, so it would be very useful if someone could clear this up for me.

Oviously, Yes.
  • ZoanoAce - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Oviously, Yes.
    ^What he said. Demon Barbs have an edge in PvP, thanks to skills giving massing amounts of crit and full dmg in Tiger form.

• AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    Options
    How good are demons in TW? I mean, will it make a huge difference if I'm demon or sage? Will there be a huge difference in my PKing abilities if I go sage? If I PK and do TW, which is the best path for me to take? Sorry, for all the questions, but I don't want to mess up after going through all the trouble of reaching lvl 89.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited April 2010
    Options
    It all depends which advanced skills you are able to acquire. Just by going the demon path you won't immediately become a pking god. :P
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    Options
    It all depends which advanced skills you are able to acquire. Just by going the demon path you won't immediately become a pking god. :P
    If I had all the skills? Is there-

1)A big difference between sage and demons at pking.
    2)A big difference between sage and demons at TW.
    3)Which is the best to path to pick if I do both, TW and Pking?

Lots of questions. Sorry about that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• DaCage - Sanctuary
    DaCage - Sanctuary Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    If I had all the skills? Is there-

1)A big difference between sage and demons at pking.
    2)A big difference between sage and demons at TW.
    3)Which is the best to path to pick if I do both, TW and Pking?

Lots of questions. Sorry about that.

1. Yes demon would be much better
    2. Sage is better for catapulling
    3. Each once opinion, Demon imo though.

Pretty much goes like this.

Demon>Sage everything except catapulling

Sage>Demon catapulling.
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    Options
    1. Yes demon would be much better