Barb Builds

Options
CrimsomNoir - Sanctuary
CrimsomNoir - Sanctuary Posts: 14 Arc User
edited April 2010 in Barbarian
The builds I came up for my barb are mapped out to the stats of the highest weapon for that build I can find.

~~Dual Axe Build~~
This build was designed with the use of heavy armor in mind.
This build is annoying intill you reach level 20.
This build does not factor in supply chest and quest given weapons

Levels 2-5
str 2, dex 1, vit 2

Levels 6-9
even: 4 str, 1 dex
odd: 3 str, 2 dex

Levels 10 & 11
5 str

Levels 12-19
even: 4 str, 1 vit
odd: 3 str 2 vit

Levels 20 & above
even: 3 str, 2 vit
odd: 3 str, 1 dex, 1 vit

at level 19 you should have: 65 str, 15 dex, 23 vit to start off the non-annoying build phase

I come up with my builds mathematically, after recording a large amount of information about the weapons and armors the build is made for. I write down all the stats, ranging from weapons and armors that can be used at levels between 1 and 5, all the way up to the level 80 and 90 TT ones.

I may add the other 3 weapon builds after I come up with them.
Please don't do anything crazy, leave that to the
experts, its the smartest choice you'll every make,
trust me, you do trust me don't you, you do realise
that trusting me is not a wise choice if you wish to
keep your mental health in the sanity department.
Post edited by CrimsomNoir - Sanctuary on

Comments

• HippiePanda - Sanctuary
    HippiePanda - Sanctuary Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    IMO Barbs should start with Polehammers and later using Dual Hammers until they can equip Calamitys (70).
  • Bartack - Heavens Tear
    Bartack - Heavens Tear Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    IMO Barbs should start with Polehammers and later using Dual Hammers until they can equip Calamitys (70).

Why would you use dual hammers in your 60's when there are tt60 axes and (even better) legendary poleaxe?

well, it was well before BH that i was in my 60's, so maybe it goes by that quick now...
  • CrimsomNoir - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    Options
    the build is not for dual hammers, its for dual axes
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options

Calamities? They're more of a BM weapon or PvP weapon. Tank with those and your cleric will have a heart attack-not to mention your charm.

TT axes ftw starting at 60.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • Bulldowzah - Dreamweaver
    Bulldowzah - Dreamweaver Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    the build is not for dual hammers, its for dual axes

like it makes sucha diffrence...
    9x Barb
    6x Seeker
    6x BM
    6xCleric
    [SIGPIC]http://i38.tinypic.com/nco6ts.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • HippiePanda - Sanctuary
    HippiePanda - Sanctuary Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Why would you use dual hammers in your 60's when there are tt60 axes and (even better) legendary poleaxe?

My 3* dual hammers in the 60s with HP / Attack addons had 1.) more damage and 2.) better stats than any lvl 60 TT/Leg Axes.

Calamities? They're more of a BM weapon or PvP weapon. Tank with those and your cleric will have a heart attack-not to mention your charm.

I still use Calamitys and tanked TT 2-2 with one cleric. I didn't had any problems. Also very nice to hold aggro.
    TT60 Axes ? Nothing special...
  • Brutu - Heavens Tear
    Brutu - Heavens Tear Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options

Actually I have both heraldry axes and calams and I must say calams are excellent for tanking, mainly because 5% hp means nothing if your cleric is doing anything other then outright damage dealing and the double damage allows me to hold aggro slightly better.

But this is quite the opposite when damage dealing as a barb as clerics normally throw a fit(for good reason) when you damage deal with calams and lose too much health however the magic debuff can be nice especially if you have some psys in your group.

If my crappy level 80 barb opinion means anything that is b:chuckle.

My weapon progression was stock/quest/supply stash weapons until level 60, TT60 at level 60(not great I know but I wanted the TT70), TT70/calams at 70 and 80, and I will go for calloused hatchets at level 90 as my endgame.
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    My 3* dual hammers in the 60s with HP / Attack addons had 1.) more damage and 2.) better stats than any lvl 60 TT/Leg Axes.

ss or it didn't happen. b:chuckle

TT60 Axes ? Nothing special...

Show me a better weapon for lvl60 melee.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • Stressedout - Dreamweaver
    Stressedout - Dreamweaver Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Only build needed: 6 Str 3 vit 1 dex!
    frankieraye

Oh the snowmen are coming, don't you worry..
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ss or it didn't happen. b:chuckle

Show me a better weapon for lvl60 melee.

for a barb?

hefty poleaxe of giantsb:surrender
    Gifs are hard to make work here
  • sandexell
    sandexell Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options

is this for tanking barb??
    edited April 2010
    Options

wanna know something funny, that is exactly what the build is after level 19
  • EronKillstar - Dreamweaver
    EronKillstar - Dreamweaver Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options

true... so given that most barbs follow that, why need to make a new thread?

heres the thing.. once you hit 60, TT gear is available and 99.99% of everyone uses it. That said, STR requirements for TT axes will be "your level * 3 + 2" (str for armor will be met here). Dex requirements for armor will be "your level/2 + 4 (round up)" (dex for weapon is met here). Thus by following those equations even at early levels which pass by quick enough, you are set for the rest of the game. I don't see a need to pump lots of vit early on since you wont be tanking anything till fb19 (if you're like me and tank your own stuff). If you pump anything at all early on, let it be dex for better accuracy. But here again you can blood bath while grinding for better accuracy if you miss alot.
  • Brutu - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Some barbs follow this build, however this build would be rather dex heavy(86+dex endgame)when I personally am going to stop at around 60 for the extra crit and to be able to wear all gear.... However my build is a tank build.
  • anwynd
    anwynd Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    6str 3 vit 1 dex every 2 lvls ftwb:victory
    Collector of pet eggs, armor, weapons, fashion, and mountsb:chuckle
    edited April 2010
    Options
    60s that max dex you need, I did not know that
  • Brutu - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2010
    Options
    anwynd wrote: »
    6str 3 vit 1 dex every 2 lvls ftwb:victory
    I would still modify it to have 60 dex. Because even though you only need about 50 dex or so for armor and weapons it is just a hop skip and jump to an extra 1% crit rate, this is too much to pass up.

This is why the normal build is just enough dex/str for armor and weapons everything else into vit, endgame cap your dex at 60.
  • Qingzi - Harshlands
    Qingzi - Harshlands Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I would still modify it to have 60 dex. Because even though you only need about 50 dex or so for armor and weapons it is just a hop skip and jump to an extra 1% crit rate, this is too much to pass up.

This is why the normal build is just enough dex/str for armor and weapons everything else into vit, endgame cap your dex at 60.

Not needed to get 60 dex. If you get 54 (TT99HA) you get 9 dex for the leggings. 54+9=63= an extra % crit
  • Qingzi - Sanctuary
    Qingzi - Sanctuary Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Not needed to get 60 dex. If you get 54 (TT99HA) you get 9 dex for the leggings. 54+9=63= an extra % crit

Damit guy, stop copying my name!
  • Brutu - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2010
    Options
    With this build you would need to level to 108 before you could get the TT99HA armor as it is 1 dex per 2 levels.

This is one of the reasons I don't like standardized builds for barbs, because it is just simpler to find out what dex and str you need for gear next level, throw that in 10 levels ahead of time and pass all other stats into vit, then when you wish just bring the dex up to 54 and just put all else into str and vit.
    edited April 2010
    Options
    thats good to know, I might make some ajustment to the build
    allthough, you are forgeting about gear that adds to ones dex
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ^yep, some players' preferred end game gear (rings generally, or a dex/vit tome) will place them with 60 dex even though their base is more around 53 or so. In such case they can pump 7 extra vit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • ZoanoAce - Lost City
    ZoanoAce - Lost City Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ^yep, some players' preferred end game gear (rings generally, or a dex/vit tome) will place them with 60 dex even though their base is more around 53 or so. In such case they can pump 7 extra vit.
    Indeed Bb, that's what my 90+ to end game plan is, but instead, I'll be doing a pure Vit build while investing in stat adding gear that will make up for my low base Str and Dex
    http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=c1338a24060503b4 Current build + gearb:victory

*Future ideal build + gear*
    http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=bed2848cb4f30505
    http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=ce75a3a6becb88f8
    b:victoryb:victory
    ●Barb - The "natural" leader. Cool and collected, slow to anger, and typically jovial. Swift to act when friends' lives are in danger, and prepared to lay down his life if the situation calls for it.

End of lvling, starting of the unimaginableb:laughb:victoryb:coolb:cool
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Indeed Bb, that's what my 90+ to end game plan is, but instead, I'll be doing a pure Vit build while investing in stat adding gear that will make up for my low base Str and Dex
    http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=c1338a24060503b4 Current build + gearb:victory

Not bad, heres what I use 99.9% of the time right now:
    http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=a40e74ff4fd38be4

and occasionally:
    http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=ec08eb0a552559c0

though I'm working on TT 80 legs and the Giant Ape's Axes right now.
    edit: the sundown pendant on the chart is actually supposed to be the "nightfall pendant" (+1) - somehow couldnt find it in the simulator and i thought that was the same one w/different name.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • Qingzi - Harshlands
    Qingzi - Harshlands Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    With this build you would need to level to 108 before you could get the TT99HA armor as it is 1 dex per 2 levels.

This is one of the reasons I don't like standardized builds for barbs, because it is just simpler to find out what dex and str you need for gear next level, throw that in 10 levels ahead of time and pass all other stats into vit, then when you wish just bring the dex up to 54 and just put all else into str and vit.

Not really, since you start with 5 dex already, that takes away 10 lvls, meaning you'll have 54 dex at lvl 98