Were we conned?

Mr_Mokona - Lost City
Mr_Mokona - Lost City Posts: 95 Arc User
edited April 2010 in General Discussion
Was i conned? or an honest mistake, or both?
An before people i even start, this isnt a QQ thread, i just want opinions of other people, and or if this has happened to anyone else.

So after getting my daily BH, i send out a couple messages and for BH69, get invited to squad pretty quickly, by a barb, an other spots get filled.
Roll ahead a bit into the cave, weve sorted out wines, were all paying a fee, so all drops 3stars/molds are random anything goes.
A little into the bh, the leader-(barb) says the the drops are on "Free mode/distribution" i think he called it.
I didnt understand at first, he explained that drops go to the player who picks them up and and not random.
He said he does it like this with his faction.

So, im like ok, "were not your faction, can we change it to random?"
And apparently we cant change, otherwise it would reset the cave, no one else seemed to say anything but i stated how it was unfair because he being the tank will get first chance of the good drops.
He just said well get close to the boss when its about to die, and all is fair.

(im thinking, ok great, me a ranged DD, and other ranged classes have to get within aoe)
Not awful, but we shouldnt have to do this anyway.

So anyway, boss dies, mold and a couple 3* drop, barb gets mold and two of the 3*s people said grats, and i was just "what a supprise".
And got the other 3*s that dropped on the run.
Did everyone else really not see how this was unfair?
Because i was the only one who spoke up...

anyway, rant over, has anyone else had an experience like this, and do you think he conned our squad out of drops?
Or whether he actually did do this with his faction, it was wrong not to say untill after he got our money?
Post edited by Mr_Mokona - Lost City on

Comments

• FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Unless you paid him before you joined the party, you would have known already that it was set to free - the party invitation tells you which it is set to.

That said, yes he screwed you over. Always make sure to check distribution setting when you get the party invite.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • Hakiii - Heavens Tear
    Hakiii - Heavens Tear Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Yesterday in BH similar thing happened to me and the squad I was in.
    We had one leader but they had to switch to get cleric and res some members. Then this other guy became lead, and he was the one she had to res.
    We killed boss blahblahblah, nice drops, a mold etc fell. And we all went in to pick up, but everything went to him.
    And I even saved his **** by dragging the boss around the first time. |:

I'd say he did in a way.
    I think drops should always go to whoever sacrificed the most for the good of the party, helped the most etc.
    Not the person who's a total beast and has no problems.
  • Mr_Mokona - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    True it does say, but i never really look at the squad settings are on the invite.
    Ok you could say its my responcibility to check, but its not something ive ever thought about, and im sure its not just me who doesnt really check.

Its a shame if i have to get paranoid every time i join a squad now to see what the settings are.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    And apparently we cant change, otherwise it would reset the cave,

That's not true. The party leader can boot everyone from squad and change the distribution mode and re-invite everyone before everyone gets ported out.

Yeah, that does sound shady and like he did that on purpose knowing he would jack most of the loot.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • ////III - Harshlands12
    ////III - Harshlands12 Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    ur a wiz. throw on earth shield b4 the freaking boss dies and go into him and morning dew urself or use pots so that ur there when he dies. if u cant do that stop qqing. now if you didn't noe beforehand that it was freemode sure QQ, but if u already knew but didnt do anything cuz u were lazy/ignorant/plain stupid just suck it up and keep failing.
  • Mr_Mokona - Lost City
    edited April 2010

I think drops should always go to whoever sacrificed the most for the good of the party, helped the most etc.
    Not the person who's a total beast and has no problems.

Well did you pay a fee? because the payed fee is like the right that your paying for the chance of a random drop.
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    True it does say, but i never really look at the squad settings are on the invite.
    Ok you could say its my responcibility to check, but its not something ive ever thought about, and im sure its not just me who doesnt really check.

Its a shame if i have to get paranoid every time i join a squad now to see what the settings are.

Oh I wasn't trying to make it sound like it was your fault, I certainly don't always remember to check either. Just remember in the future, and make sure to never go on a run with that barb again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • Mr_Mokona - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    ur a wiz. throw on earth shield b4 the freaking boss dies and go into him and morning dew urself or use pots so that ur there when he dies. if u cant do that stop qqing. now if you didn't noe beforehand that it was freemode sure QQ, but if u already knew but didnt do anything cuz u were lazy/ignorant/plain stupid just suck it up and keep failing.

You my friend have a beautiful way with words.
  • Mr_Mokona - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    Oh I wasn't trying to make it sound like it was your fault, I certainly don't always remember to check either. Just remember in the future, and make sure to never go on a run with that barb again.

dont worry, i know you weren't ^_~
  • ////III - Harshlands12
    ////III - Harshlands12 Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    u knew that the freakin drops are on free mode. u prolly thought oh well whats the chance of something droppin anyway, ill just stay bak here where its safe. and UH OH mold dropped u were like oh damn why didnt i do something...*** i regret it so much. I KNOW lemme blame it on the barb! He set it on free after all!! ya, its not my fault, if he set it on random none of this would've happened!!!!
  • vbarbie
    vbarbie Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Well some people get really dramatic about the drops in a BH or FB party .. Theres ones that want them all for them like those sucky drops are matter of life and death.. and there are ones that dont give a flying **** about drops .. like me
  • Skimi - Dreamweaver
    Skimi - Dreamweaver Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    it is possible to change it without reseting cave. squad leader have to boot every1 from squad, change settings and reinvite others.
    i have seen plenty fo bhs where barbs set it to free mode cuz they think they deserve it for their high repair bills. im lucky if im on cleric char then, i just make squad wipe and leave squad after.
    check drop distribution or make squad urself next time, to many greedy barbs out there.

i even got into rb squad where drops were set on free mode and leader didnt tell that, he got all shards. other players noticed that too and asked him for shards and he agve crappy shards to every1 and kept good ones for himself cuz he spent money teles to get squad for rb lol
  • Hakiii - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2010
    Well did you pay a fee? because the payed fee is like the right that your paying for the chance of a random drop.

We didn't use wines or anything, I don't think I deserved any drops, but the veno who switched back and forth between her cleric three times and missed the boss the first to help sure did, but the guy took them all and left without saying thank you.
    b:sweat
  • Mr_Mokona - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    We didn't use wines or anything, I don't think I deserved any drops, but the veno who switched back and forth between her cleric three times and missed the boss the first to help sure did, but the guy took them all and left without saying thank you.
    b:sweat

ah lol, didnt see your lvl, sorry im in the mindset of BH69...T_T
    Its not about what is deserved, because your part of that squad doing your role, so ofcourse you deserve something.
    Why squads generally do random drops, because then all is fair.
  • Hakiii - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2010
    ah lol, didnt see your lvl, sorry im in the mindset of BH69...T_T
    Its not about what is deserved, because your part of that squad doing your role, so ofcourse you deserve something.
    Why squads generally do random drops, because then all is fair.

Well it was Zimo.
    Yeah, either that or that.
    It was on random when we started but oi, I hope for a good party today with all respectful people. b:thanks
  • Skimi - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2010
    even venos deserves drops. every dd in squad helps save time and money for clerics mp bill and barbs repair bill. and if cleric bb then cleric dun have a chance to get good drop too, unless cleric wanna stop bb before boss is dead and risk with party wipe...actually that might be fun thing to try on my cleric next time b:victory that should make nice party wipe
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Last time someone tried this on me with a PvE server, I simply informed the cleric and then left squad... with the cleric leaving right after me.

On a PvP server, I'd just drop squad and PK the lead for it. I never run on Free unless I'm with a group of people I know I can trust.
  • Mr_Mokona - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    truekossy wrote: »
    Last time someone tried this on me with a PvE server, I simply informed the cleric and then left squad... with the cleric leaving right after me.

On a PvP server, I'd just drop squad and PK the lead for it. I never run on Free unless I'm with a group of people I know I can trust.

Fair answer, im sure many people would say this.
    Id payed 45k wine fee already, id rather not pay again.
    He told us after we had payed, so its something i will look out for now, when joing a squad what the settings are.
  • Fritigern - Lost City
    Fritigern - Lost City Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    As a barb, the drops literally fall on your head.
    He knew he'd be in the best spot to get most if not all the drops.
    Clerics especially(being outa aoe range and slow movers), would'nt stand a chance for drops and clerics are a barbs best friend b:shy
    Best advice, try to remember his/her name and don't squad with bums like that again.
    As far as I'm concerned, anyone who messes with the distribution mode at all is shady. b:scorn

b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Skimi - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2010
    As far as I'm concerned, anyone who messes with the distribution mode at all is shady. b:scorn

b:bye

^ this lol
  • Ephemerai - Sanctuary
    Ephemerai - Sanctuary Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Just wanted to say, it doesn't reset the cave as long as the same squad leader is doing all the reinvites. e.g. if person A was squad leader and booted everyone out of the squad, instance resets for everyone BUT person A. If person A changes the settings from free to random and then reinvites everyone, everyone's countdown goes away and all is well, nothing's changed except for the drop settings.

We do this all the time in Nirvana for the last boss =P (except it's usually changing from random to free).

This is also why everyone gets a countdown except for the squad leader, & why they need a squad invite from someone else to get the countdown. Instance doesn't reset unless squad leader joins another party. Same reason why, if you're checking the door for BH79 and the wrong door is open, you have to rotate squad leads when reforming the squad in order to reset the instance (and hopefully get the correct door).

ooh someone on page2 beat me to this =P ohwellz
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Was i conned? or an honest mistake, or both?
    An before people i even start, this isnt a QQ thread, i just want opinions of other people, and or if this has happened to anyone else.

So after getting my daily BH, i send out a couple messages and for BH69, get invited to squad pretty quickly, by a barb, an other spots get filled.
    Roll ahead a bit into the cave, weve sorted out wines, were all paying a fee, so all drops 3stars/molds are random anything goes.
    A little into the bh, the leader-(barb) says the the drops are on "Free mode/distribution" i think he called it.
    I didnt understand at first, he explained that drops go to the player who picks them up and and not random.
    He said he does it like this with his faction.

And apparently we cant change, otherwise it would reset the cave, no one else seemed to say anything but i stated how it was unfair because he being the tank will get first chance of the good drops.
    He just said well get close to the boss when its about to die, and all is fair.

(im thinking, ok great, me a ranged DD, and other ranged classes have to get within aoe)
    Not awful, but we shouldnt have to do this anyway.

So anyway, boss dies, mold and a couple 3* drop, barb gets mold and two of the 3*s people said grats, and i was just "what a supprise".
    And got the other 3*s that dropped on the run.
    Did everyone else really not see how this was unfair?
    Because i was the only one who spoke up...

anyway, rant over, has anyone else had an experience like this, and do you think he conned our squad out of drops?
    Or whether he actually did do this with his faction, it was wrong not to say untill after he got our money?
    Two things

1. The leader of it can boot everyone, change it back to random, and reinvite everyone, and the cave will not be reset. Simple as that.

2. If I find anyone in a random dist squad has changed it to free, I immediately leave the squad, let everybody in the squad know what has been done, and even go so far as to do a tele.

Think of, for a second, a couple matters concerning free drops. Why would someone change a squad's drop setting to free? The only cases I've seen this is if they want all the drops. If they want all of the drops, they better have been wining it for drops. Otherwise, it's an attempt to steal a mold at the expense of others. I don't differentiate mold thieves from those who purposely set squad to free dist. While the difference is severity, the intent is the same.
  • ACLucius - Archosaur
    ACLucius - Archosaur Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    The best way to solve future problems is just lead your own squads. I tend to only trust those in my faction/friend list and myself. In TT runs, if I am not doing it with my faction, I always sub, and I always bank. This way, I ensure everyone is treated fairly, and go to the extent of denying myself a pick in order for someone lower level to get a pick, so long as I get the three mirages I need to cover the sub cost.

If you aren't going to lead your own squads though, next best is, like others have said, check the settings before hand. If the leader refuses to put it on random, leave the squad, inform others in the squad and tell them you'd like to reform a squad with them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Didn't get the rest of it, but apparently I am the "destroyer of sin haters" as well.
  • VashtaNerada - Dreamweaver
    VashtaNerada - Dreamweaver Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    You my friend have a beautiful way with words.

I looked like this when I read that: b:laughb:chuckle

*returns to lurker cave*b:shutup
    - The Gaming Gearhead

My hero:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TeresaSyri - Heavens Tear
    TeresaSyri - Heavens Tear Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    u knew that the freakin drops are on free mode. u prolly thought oh well whats the chance of something droppin anyway, ill just stay bak here where its safe. and UH OH mold dropped u were like oh damn why didnt i do something...*** i regret it so much. I KNOW lemme blame it on the barb! He set it on free after all!! ya, its not my fault, if he set it on random none of this would've happened!!!!

And I suppose you've never made a mistake before? lol.

Anyway... everyone's already explained everything I would have. All I can really say is, I hope you don't run into that barb again. People like that are just bad news all around.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hazumu - Dreamweaver
    Hazumu - Dreamweaver Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Never, ever make a squad in free mode. It's SUCH a scam device.

In my opinion they should remove the option altogether, it's just a tool for thieves.

Sure, it can be useful in TT when all drops go to banker at first, but it's not that much work to drop what you might get, is it?

Just my opinion.... blacklist and shun the scammers. Boooo!
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    What baffles me is that the rest of the squad allowed themselves to be walked all over by this greedy barb. Most likely because finding a barb is tough. Huge props to the OP for standing up and saying something, though personally I'd just have ditched squad there.
  • StarmanSuper - Harshlands
    StarmanSuper - Harshlands Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Free mode should still stay an option - people just have to be more careful (not to impugn the original poster - it was unfortunate what happened and it's no way his fault). When I squad with my friend for reasons other than doing a BH (which, believe it or not guys, does happen) I set it to free because one of us is to get all the DQ items and one of us is to get all the mats, with other types of items going to whoever picks them up first.
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Yes you were conned.
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FitHitDShan - Sanctuary
    FitHitDShan - Sanctuary Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Technically, you were not conned. You would have been conned if he did not tell anyone it was set to free and just pretended that he got inordinately lucky. You were, however, abused.
    "?" IS my avatar.