Character Server Switch

_Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary
_Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary Posts: 993 Arc User
edited April 2010 in General Discussion
Ok so before you flame me, hear me out.

So i was thinking about how much i regret not starting on lost city, as i LOVE pk and sanctuary is just so not for me when it comes to pk (the only people who pk are mad cash shoppers all with charms). I really DO NOT WANT to start fresh, as i already have put alot of time, effort, and money into my character on sanctuary.
So anyways, i was thinking, If PWE came out with an option to switch servers at the cost of a fee, I and a bunch others would certainly pay this fee to switch servers. I also thought about what if there is already a character with your same name on the server you wish to switch to. Simple, just make it so that if you want to switch then you have to change your character name. And when it comes to being married and your friends list, that could just be something you would have to sacrifice. I don't think it would cause much inbalance in the game as the cash shop already takes care of that (no offense pwe). It would let all the bloodthirsty killers go to where they want to kill, and all the carebears could go to pve to be left in peace.
I think it would benefit not only the players but it would also be a tactical move to make money for pwe.
If you wish to explain how it wouldn't work or why it wouldn't be fair please explain. I want to know how it would be.
Facebook.com/foxi187
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by _Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary on

Comments

• ////III - Harshlands12
    ////III - Harshlands12 Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    no flame from me but also on behalf of the pwi staff a big fat "no way" for u as well
  • _Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    no flame from me but also on behalf of the pwi staff a big fat "no way" for u as well

I would take your opinion much more seriously if you gave a reason.
    Facebook.com/foxi187
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ////III - Harshlands12
    edited April 2010
    its not an opinion. uve been around for a long time and u noe that they just flat out wont do it.
    edited April 2010
    its not an opinion. uve been around for a long time and u noe that they just flat out wont do it.

hmmm i dunno actually. I figured maybe if they were to make money from it then possibly xD
    Facebook.com/foxi187
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shivalia - Lost City
    Shivalia - Lost City Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    The reason being that there have been multiple threads asking for this and there have been multiple responses by the GMs that this, quote, "Will never happen."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wonderful drawing of Shivalia done by the ever talented Shirrii of Heavens Tear. b:heart Much love to you forever!
  • Anamallia - Sanctuary
    Anamallia - Sanctuary Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    better idea

allow gold transfer between servers once per account, sell off all your stuff, and move

would have to figure out some way to transfer pets though, as once you have bought a leg pet it is yours and cant be sold

this would keep newer servers from being flooded with high level characters, which defeats the fun of joining a new server

just a thought, flame me if you willb:laugh
  • LifeHunting - Heavens Tear
    LifeHunting - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    PWI Staff have already stated that they have no function within the whole code of PWI that will allow server transfer.

Along with this being a F2P game, it is nearly Impossible that it'll ever be added. Usually it's the P2P games that have server trade, but as I've already said PWE games are F2P which means the chance of this happening are slimmer then .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance.

But if you want to talk with a GM about it, i'd suggest either PM'ing frankieraye. She/he will be able to explain in full detail why Server Trade for PWI will not be a possibilty.
  • ////III - Harshlands12
    edited April 2010
    heres what goes thru the pwe dev's minds

Amount of Profit --> Cost of change

maybe in the end u can stick a tiny bit of public opinion.

While ur suggestion does have potential profit. It would

1. Completedly destroy any hopes of any more new servers (ppl wouldnt roll somehwere where 10x can just move themselves to) and we all noe servers rakes in cash like nothing else.

2. The cost to enforce this patch would be TREMENDOUS. any software developer can bak me up on this.

3. PPl will QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

there are ur reasons
  • Glowfish - Lost City
    Glowfish - Lost City Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    hmmm i dunno actually. I figured maybe if they were to make money from it then possibly xD

they make money out of people switching servers already. a hell of a lot more than they would out of a set fee to transfer.

think about how much you would spend gearing up a new character if you were serious about playing on the other server.

it just doesn't make good business sense for them to implement something like that.

i'd love it if they did though.
    edited April 2010
    Sad Day. Oh well. I guess PWE will miss out on big bucks.
    Shame really, it's nothing more than a dream =/
    Facebook.com/foxi187
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited April 2010

From lvl 1 to 73 in 13 days:

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=685292
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • nolasaints
    nolasaints Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    There would definately have to be some sort of balance system. Who wouldn't want to move their 90+ char to a new server? That would not be fair to those on said new server working their way up. Some people on pk servers may not welcome new high level chars who have leveled in the relatively safe environment of a carebear server.
    As for the names, I was under the impression the system only allows one unique name for the entire game. I'd appreciate any educated input on this.
    I know for a fact there are server swap methods on other games so I'm sure there's an acceptable way to accomplish it.
    Perhaps a server swap stone in the boutique for an outrageous amount of gold in order to prevent it from being abused by "swap happies"?
    edited April 2010
    nolasaints wrote: »
    There would definately have to be some sort of balance system. Who wouldn't want to move their 90+ char to a new server? That would not be fair to those on said new server working their way up. Some people on pk servers may not welcome new high level chars who have leveled in the relatively safe environment of a carebear server.
    As for the names, I was under the impression the system only allows one unique name for the entire game. I'd appreciate any educated input on this.
    I know for a fact there are server swap methods on other games so I'm sure there's an acceptable way to accomplish it.
    Perhaps a server swap stone in the boutique for an outrageous amount of gold in order to prevent it from being abused by "swap happies"?

No i have a char with the exact name as my main on here on lost city.
    about the part with switching to a new server, they could just make it so you cant join a server thats brand new.
    Facebook.com/foxi187
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RainbowVidel - Sanctuary
    RainbowVidel - Sanctuary Posts: 1,316 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=5256612&postcount=2

I'm so sick of seeing "server transfer" topics. And even more sick of people who flat out refuse to search before posting. There is no excuse for it.
    edited April 2010

I see. But as i recall, i said they should make it happen. which means MAKE a game mechanic so it CAN be done.

Also... why is he giving the peace sign? O.o
    Facebook.com/foxi187
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ////III - Harshlands12
    edited April 2010
    im a cop irl and i should put all criminals behind bars.

however reality is that i cannot put all criminals behind bars.

There is a reason I wrote this, take a minute to digest.
    edited April 2010
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=5256612&postcount=2

I'm so sick of seeing "server transfer" topics. And even more sick of people who flat out refuse to search before posting. There is no excuse for it.

QQ moar kthx
    Facebook.com/foxi187
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RainbowVidel - Sanctuary
    RainbowVidel - Sanctuary Posts: 1,316 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I see. But as i recall, i said they should make it happen

But they won't... so no point in even suggesting it. Ever.
    edited April 2010
    But they won't... so no point in even suggesting it. Ever.

suggesting it so they see that people want it. And you do not know for a fact whether or not they will or not.
    Facebook.com/foxi187
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ////III - Harshlands12
    edited April 2010
    i rly dont noe what part of the words cannot and impossible dont u get.

ill provide some translations just in case ur foreign

japanese - deki nai

chinese - bu ke neng

spanish - no puede

french - ne peut pas
  • Darksylph - Heavens Tear
    Darksylph - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,816 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    nolasaints wrote: »

This is why it will never happen. In fact on numerous other games, they allow PvP->PvE, PvE->PvE, & PvP->PvP, but will never allow PvE->PvP. Because people use it to level up in safety & then swap to a PvP server. To be blunt, you may have put tons of effort & money, but you never went through the growing pains of levelling on a PvP server, therefore you dont deserve to move there at a high level from a PvE server.
    edited April 2010
    i rly dont noe what part of the words cannot and impossible dont u get.

ill provide some translations just in case ur foreign

japanese - deki nai

chinese - bu ke neng

spanish - no puede

french - ne peut pas

Nothing's impossible.
    Facebook.com/foxi187
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ////III - Harshlands12
    edited April 2010
    go work for World Health Organization. ur talent for enthusiasm is wasted here.
  • SpiritReaver - Raging Tide
    SpiritReaver - Raging Tide Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    The truth of the matter is that if the game developers have stated that they do not have plans to implement this then that is the final word. Server transfers could defidently be implemented but if the game devs do not want to do this then nothing can be done. It is the choice of the devs if this gets implemented. And enough with the flaming, it is not mature.
  • ACLucius - Archosaur
    ACLucius - Archosaur Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited April 2010

So i was thinking about how much i regret not starting on lost city, as i LOVE pk and sanctuary is just so not for me when it comes to pk (the only people who pk are mad cash shoppers all with charms). I really DO NOT WANT to start fresh, as i already have put alot of time, effort, and money into my character on sanctuary.
    So anyways, i was thinking, If PWE came out with an option to switch servers at the cost of a fee, I and a bunch others would certainly pay this fee to switch servers. I also thought about what if there is already a character with your same name on the server you wish to switch to. Simple, just make it so that if you want to switch then you have to change your character name. And when it comes to being married and your friends list, that could just be something you would have to sacrifice. I don't think it would cause much inbalance in the game as the cash shop already takes care of that (no offense pwe). It would let all the bloodthirsty killers go to where they want to kill, and all the carebears could go to pve to be left in peace.
    I think it would benefit not only the players but it would also be a tactical move to make money for pwe.
    If you wish to explain how it wouldn't work or why it wouldn't be fair please explain. I want to know how it would be.

No, of course it would be absolutely fair that every time a new server comes up, the 9x and 10x players got to switch their characters over so they could own the whole map, denying pretty much every other player a chance.

This, 4 more hours (max) to level 30, then oracle your way up to 7x in less than a week. Well, you might have just wasted a little more than two weeks just to get to level 8x.

Part of rolling a new character is to start anew, making your way back up. It is so easy for people these days to level up that it is ridiculous to ask to have characters switch servers. I think there are plenty of reasons not to provide server switches, more than I have even mentioned. However, I think you have yet to provide one good reason why they should implement this. Sure, they might be able to make some money, but I'm sure they will make even more money from hypers.

Also....
    Nothing's impossible.

Go create matter out of nothing. Now, once you can do that, I'm sure everyone will say, "he's right, nothing is impossible." Till then though, there are still some impossibilities. If you don't believe me, try reading Physics of the Impossible and read about class three impossibilities. I'm quite sure that unless you are some omniscient being, you can't say that nothing is impossible and be right.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Didn't get the rest of it, but apparently I am the "destroyer of sin haters" as well.
    edited April 2010
    No, of course it would be absolutely fair that every time a new server comes up, the 9x and 10x players got to switch their characters over so they could own the whole map, denying pretty much every other player a chance.

This, 4 more hours (max) to level 30, then oracle your way up to 7x in less than a week. Well, you might have just wasted a little more than two weeks just to get to level 8x.

Part of rolling a new character is to start anew, making your way back up. It is so easy for people these days to level up that it is ridiculous to ask to have characters switch servers. I think there are plenty of reasons not to provide server switches, more than I have even mentioned. However, I think you have yet to provide one good reason why they should implement this. Sure, they might be able to make some money, but I'm sure they will make even more money from hypers.

Also....

Go create matter out of nothing. Now, once you can do that, I'm sure everyone will say, "he's right, nothing is impossible." Till then though, there are still some impossibilities. If you don't believe me, try reading Physics of the Impossible and read about class three impossibilities. I'm quite sure that unless you are some omniscient being, you can't say that nothing is impossible and be right.

sorry i don't feel like spending a ton of money on oracles. people who use a bunch of oracles are garbage, nuff said. And there is no point in trying to get all technical to try and sound smart. It was a figure of speech. It's not impossible and we know it. so GTFO with all this technical talk, It's wasted.
    Facebook.com/foxi187
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shulkie - Dreamweaver
    Shulkie - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    If PWE came out with an option to switch servers at the cost of a fee, I and a bunch others would certainly pay this fee to switch servers. If you wish to explain how it wouldn't work or why it wouldn't be fair please explain. I want to know how it would be.

Haven't read the whole thread (bit meh this morning) but the reason for not doing cross server character swaps is that folks would level up in peace on a PVE server (going pvp when they chose or not) then when they get their character to endgame would swap over to a pvp server - hardly fair on those who worked their way up. also Gear/items available more cheaply on the pve server could destabilise economy further on pvp servers if enough folks transferred enmass

big thumbs down from me - if you wanna move servers create a new toon, should be easier now you have the idea of the game anyway
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    There is no place in a perfect world for double entendre!
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Here's some points for everybody to consider.

1) GM: "We have no plans to ever bring Chienkun Stones to PWI."

Look what happened. Tada! We have Chienkun Stones!

So while they say they do not intend to implement a feature, that does not mean they never will. When it comes to "never implementing a feature" I hate to say I don't trust a GM as far as I could spit them, right now. They say this, they say that and you are left to assume other things, and in the end it turns out completely different anyway.

2) Here's why, even with point one in consideration, server transfers should never happen.

- PWI already make money out of server transfers, and not by letting people take their 10x character to a different server. In fact if they implemented such a system they would lose money, and being the money whoring company that they are, they aren't about to implement a system willingly and let themselves lose hundreds of dollars. That's right. Hundreds. For every person who wants to pay to change servers on their 9x character, there's two people willing to start afresh and pay the same amount of money to make that character epic and uber, forgetting about the already epic and uber cash shopped character on another server.

- There's no real way to balance this fairly. It's already been said that games that do have the ability to allow server transfers more often than not don't allow PvE → PvP transfers, and this means that the majority of people who want to change servers on PWI? They wouldn't get to do what they wanted anyway if the same system was implemented and PWE did not allow PvE → PvP transfers. What a waste of a feature.

On the same note as balance, the chances are that if this was implemented there would have to be not only an extortionate fee [remember, PWE is only in it for the money] but a limit to the amount of times you could change servers. Personally, I'd like to see this limit at one, even if it was only for a certain period of time. Like, say, two months before you could change server again.

If no balancing factors were implemented, PWE really would lose a great deal of it's customers due to the unfairness that would come about from having every major CSer in the entire game switching from one server to the next to the next to the next with the other major CSers and owning all the land across all the servers (which three or four of these people probably already do anyway) and suchlike.

Hopefully you're starting to see why this is a really bad idea, nevermind why it probably isn't ever going to be implemented.

In the end it's a huge loss of money. For the company, loss of money is bad. Therefore, for the company, allowing server transfers is bad. Therefore, it never happens.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vixre - Harshlands
    Vixre - Harshlands Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    @OP, just a few short ideas to think about...

I see several people have made the argument about people leveling up in a PvE environment, and then enjoying end-game PvP on a PvP server, and my point sort of expands on this. Such an item would really mess up the server's existing make up; simple example, if at the time that the Archosaur server was created, we allowed server transfers... thoughts? Despite a number of people that can cashshop their way to be amongest the higher levels in a server, a large remaining portion of the population from a new server will of progressed to a lesser degree compared to that of an old and well established server.

Also the market prices and availability of certain items also makes a server transfer feature disruptive. I came from a PvE server, Dreamweaver, as you can see now, I'm on a PvP server, Harshlands. Every time I go back to visit Dreamweaver, I see flocks of lv100s in some pretty OP equipment, re-casted armor, 4 socketed armors with +10 vit stones, etc etc. Sure, these type of players exist in HL as well, but no where near the amount of players that exists on Dreamweaver. Even if 5-10 of those people moved to a server such has Harshland, it could seriously disrupt the balance of power here. It's not so much if the transfer is from PvP-PvE or vice versa, but rather simply the transfer lets you transfer across different servers with different make up.

I'm not sure if I can speculate the thoughts of PWE devs in regards to money and the such, but even if such feature could be implemented, from a players point of view, I don't think it should. b:shocked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ////III - Harshlands12
    edited April 2010
    People that transfer servers are garbage. Nuff said.