Focus Mind and Tidal Protect: Pointless?

Rhazgoth - Heavens Tear
Rhazgoth - Heavens Tear Posts: 12 Arc User
edited April 2010 in Assassin
So, having played an assassin for a while I have been pondering the uselessness of Focus Mind and Tidal Protection. Sure they are good to throw on just before a duel but in PvE adventures who wants to recast every 90 seconds?

Would it even be plausible to have them last the same time period as bloodpaint, which was later changed to have a longer duration, or kept to a 60 second max for "fair" pvp balance? How much would the PvE mechanics change if focus mind and tidal protection lasted 30 minutes at max lvl.

Also, who would want to see the duration of focus mind and tidal protection extended?
Post edited by Rhazgoth - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• SoulWispher - Sanctuary
    SoulWispher - Sanctuary Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Yeah they're too short and cast em every 90 Seconds is a pain for my Mp(Pots Pots Pots).

Why most classes have self Buffs like BM(30 Mins phy def buff),Wiz(10 Min Shields),Cleric(1 Hour o.O),Archer(10 Mins Blazing Arrow),Barbs(Dunno but I don't see em buff often).

Should last like bloodpaint
    b:avoid Im always stealth...don't ask me why b:avoid
  • Yishuin - Sanctuary
    Yishuin - Sanctuary Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    mmh... and bms have armor or magic defense buff wich have a duration of ... 30 sec (ok no cooldown).

Ok tidal protection is a bit useless in pure pve. but focus mind is a great help.

Right now i have 25% evade and 25% avoid damage with focus mind. i win 50-60 hp each hit with bloodpaint i assure you i recast focus mind every 90 sec ^^.
  • JebakLesny - Dreamweaver
    JebakLesny - Dreamweaver Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    every 90s? b:shocked
    im using it only in duels n in BH 69 when barb dont know how to cancel bosses aoe
    my focus mind is at lv 10 greate help during duels but in pev nah!
    about tidal prot hmm. i have it at lv 1. its enought for me. dont remember when last time i used it.
    I really dont like they share cooldownb:angryb:angry
    imagine: tidal protection ,90s, focus mind, 90s, tidal protection ect.
    sound better. maybe at 79lv we get better buff or dont hehe

tc all
  • skyxiii
    skyxiii Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    The point of the 30 second intermission for those buffs is so that they can't be abused. Don't compare them to other classes squad buffs, because our squad buff (bloodpaint) has a fairly long duration. It's like plume shell for clerics - they have a window of intermission before they can recast it again.
    This forces you to only be able to fight at maximum ability for a short amount of time - which is what assassins are designed to do. Get in, take enemy down as fast as possible, get out. People already complain about focused mind as it is now because it can dodge any kind of damage. I remember a wiz 20 levels above me sparking, extreme poison amp, and BIDS only to hit me for 1 damage >.<

I think Tidal can be better though. For such an expensive skill, it should be a tad more effective imo.
  • Trawne - Lost City
    Trawne - Lost City Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    skyxiii wrote: »
    The point of the 30 second intermission for those buffs is so that they can't be abused. Don't compare them to other classes squad buffs, because our squad buff (bloodpaint) has a fairly long duration. It's like plume shell for clerics - they have a window of intermission before they can recast it again.
    This forces you to only be able to fight at maximum ability for a short amount of time - which is what assassins are designed to do. Get in, take enemy down as fast as possible, get out. People already complain about focused mind as it is now because it can dodge any kind of damage. I remember a wiz 20 levels above me sparking, extreme poison amp, and BIDS only to hit me for 1 damage >.<

I think Tidal can be better though. For such an expensive skill, it should be a tad more effective imo.

this. i dont use tidal though. maze steps works for what i need. dont forget sage version makes the dodge 33% and 66% for tidal(when they come out). demon version looks like it adds a small amount of the opposite skill.
    I hope that I shall always possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of title, the character of an honest man. -George Washington
  • Rhazgoth - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2010
    @ skyxiii

I agree with the points on being at your max for a period of time. Lets ask it this way then, do many duels with assassins last over a minute? Most I have been in do not. As for the 90 second cd I agree that it should not be change. It avoids, as you said, prevents you from having total pvp domination.

This game is also more about PvE. You spend more time in instances doing quests, leveling among other things. The want of this post is have the ability to let your dodge skills last through a complete boss battle. As it stands the dodge skills are just about completely useless for Boss battles in TT, BH, FB and FF. Sure you can throw it on every 90 seconds and have 30 seconds of lag time in between, but that means you are out of that protection.

If all else for the sake of keeping the game balanced and fair, increase duration at the cost of dodge %. Instead of a max of 25% make it 20% or even 15%. But remember, assassins are made to be sneaky and stealthy and hard to hit.
  • Trawne - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    @ skyxiii

I agree with the points on being at your max for a period of time. Lets ask it this way then, do many duels with assassins last over a minute? Most I have been in do not. As for the 90 second cd I agree that it should not be change. It avoids, as you said, prevents you from having total pvp domination.

This game is also more about PvE. You spend more time in instances doing quests, leveling among other things. The want of this post is have the ability to let your dodge skills last through a complete boss battle. As it stands the dodge skills are just about completely useless for Boss battles in TT, BH, FB and FF. Sure you can throw it on every 90 seconds and have 30 seconds of lag time in between, but that means you are out of that protection.

If all else for the sake of keeping the game balanced and fair, increase duration at the cost of dodge %. Instead of a max of 25% make it 20% or even 15%. But remember, assassins are made to be sneaky and stealthy and hard to hit.

even for boss fights i'd rather keep my 25% dodge. it's more usefull as a "save some charm ticks" rather than a "PRAY IT SAVES MY **** b:shocked" skill

if you cant take the hit without it, don't gamble on it saving you.
    I hope that I shall always possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of title, the character of an honest man. -George Washington
  • Rhazgoth - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2010
    If I cant take the heat, I pull out the bow ^^
  • Asheera - Raging Tide
    Asheera - Raging Tide Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Duration is fine imo, not sure about cooldown (it could get reduced) OR at least make them not share cooldown, that's a bit silly imo >.>
    First 103 on Raging Tide 30 Oct 2010
    Quit.
  • skyxiii
    skyxiii Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    even for boss fights i'd rather keep my 25% dodge. it's more usefull as a "save some charm ticks" rather than a "PRAY IT SAVES MY **** b:shocked" skill

if you cant take the hit without it, don't gamble on it saving you.

I think you quoted the wrong person for this response xD.

Anyway, what's your ign b:beg?

You're not Lingzi or Love_Hina are you b:shocked?
  • Trawne - Lost City
    edited April 2010

Anyway, what's your ign b:beg?

You're not Lingzi or Love_Hina are you b:shocked?

i was referring to the PVE aspect he talked about in the 2nd paragraph

and no i'm not. are they even on LC? never seen them or if i have dont remember them

IGN for sin is Velox_Nex. not really hidden as anyone who checks his gear would see "Made by Trawne" written all over his **** b:chuckle

i wouldnt mind seeing CD dropped to 60 seconds. i wouldnt take them off shared CD though as that would be very OP for 60 seconds of a pvp fight.
  • Velox_Nex - Lost City
    Velox_Nex - Lost City Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    i was referring to the PVE aspect he talked about in the 2nd paragraph

and no i'm not. are they even on LC? never seen them or if i have dont remember them

IGN for sin is Velox_Nex. not really hidden as anyone who checks his gear would see "Made by Trawne" written all over his **** b:chuckle

o hai b:bye
  • RADD_RATT - Harshlands
    RADD_RATT - Harshlands Posts: 349 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    no theres nothing wrong with those skills. they arnt meant to be spammed every 90 seconds in PvE. i guess you can. but that would get rather annoying. PvP it works wonders and it would be way op if it lasted long enough to spam and have it always on.
  • ilystah
    ilystah Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    The shared cooldown is so you cannot put both together to get some insane debuff evasion.
    Oh, and compare focus mind with wizard's elemental shell and see which one is more OP.
  • Trawne - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    ilystah wrote: »
    The shared cooldown is so you cannot put both together to get some insane debuff evasion.
    Oh, and compare focus mind with wizard's elemental shell and see which one is more OP.

compare....lolwut?

1)elemental shell is a wiz 79 skill
    2) how many wizards have this skill? i dont. never even seen it used
    3) it lasts 4 seconds, making it very hard to time to use
    4) it's only useful for cleric tempests and other wizard's dragons. i'd rather sopo whisper the target instead
  • BIackTyphoon - Heavens Tear
    BIackTyphoon - Heavens Tear Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    prevents from beeing totally op....i only use it when i think i might not make it without it....just a safety option....the skill is perfectly fine as it is.
  • sheiol
    sheiol Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Psy White and black voodoo are ~10 mins...its perfect and can be swapped
    We surely need tidal and focus inc effect to 10 mins mini same as Psy voodoo buffs
  • Trawne - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    sheiol wrote: »
    Psy White and black voodoo are ~10 mins...its perfect and can be swapped
    We surely need tidal and focus inc effect to 10 mins mini same as Psy voodoo buffs

that would still be horribly, horribly OP. especially with the sage version going to give 33% dodge

i just tanked polearm tonight as a 4.1k HP 84 sin by sparking every time he went to debuff and using deaden nerves + focused mind. he only hit me once for 4.5k which deaden nerves ate. took 2 tries to get it down.
  • RADD_RATT - Harshlands
    RADD_RATT - Harshlands Posts: 349 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    that would still be horribly, horribly OP. especially with the sage version going to give 33% dodge

i just tanked polearm tonight as a 4.1k HP 84 sin by sparking every time he went to debuff and using deaden nerves + focused mind. he only hit me once for 4.5k which deaden nerves ate. took 2 tries to get it down.

thats pro as fock
  • Trawne - Lost City
    edited April 2010

Anyway, what's your ign?

You're not Lingzi or Love_Hina are you?

i found Love_Hina ..... no i'm not that fail. WTF 9X sin cant kill me even when jumping me? b:laugh

so far i've destroyed her every time she's come out of west gate and even once in room 48 of cube b:chuckle (she ran in 34 using do-alls to escape after occult icing me so i took the do-all price i paid out of her hide b:sin)

i have yet to see Lingzi... who's your sin? b:surrender
  • ryukage
    ryukage Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    No offense, but basically you're saying that one of the two classes designed with PvP in mind has a PvP skill that has limited usefulness in PvE. I wonder why...

"This game is more about PvE" isn't an argument. Like it or not PvP is part of the game too, so you have to always consider how a skill stacks up on both perspectives. If it's OP in one, it's OP period. Thus, extending those buffs will break the class. Seperating the cooldowns will just be insane.