New cleric, need some help.

Options
galhas
galhas Posts: 4 Arc User
edited April 2010 in Cleric
Hey guys, i always liked to play with magician characters, but i want to get high level fast.
I like to play with other persons. But most of the time i'm playing alone.
I tried to play with a blademaster but i think they are to boring, i tried wizard, physic, archer, but the only one that i really enjoyed was cleric.
Is it possible to build my cleric to play on solo, with some partys?
If it's possible what build should i try? And skills? Does cleric have aoe skills?
Post edited by galhas on

Comments

• Skybelle - Sanctuary
    Skybelle - Sanctuary Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    As a cleric myself and from personal experience, I was able to solo most of the quest mobs as well as some bosses. Clerics are really fun to play and you don't really need that much help. You're welcome to most parties (if not, all) and can tank certain bosses.

The build I currently use is 9 mag, 1 str every 2 levels and so far it's working well and I don't plan to add any vitality anytime soon. The only drawback is you're going to be a lot more squishier than other clerics unless you're heavily sharded and refined. For sure you'll die a lot in earlier levels (well, I did around my 20s and 30s) but your high damage input is going to suffice that.

For a few levels, you'll be up to par with wizards in terms of damage until they start getting their elemental skills maxed. But you'll still kill mobs in 3-4 hits or so. If not, less.

If you're dying a lot (like literally), a few vit can be nice every level. So maybe 7 mag, 1 str, 2 vit every 2 levels?

Enjoy!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    my C H A R A C T E R S ; feel free to message me in game.
    Skybelle (cleric; currently on break) | Psybelle (psychic; rarely on) | Cocobelle (veno; current main)
  • PinkSuccubuS - Lost City
    PinkSuccubuS - Lost City Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    lol u do knew in cleric description it dosen say a cleric is a DD we have ton of those alredy
    90% of ppl wana we dd and play all classes well anyways just knew a cleric aint a dd

we only need 2 not die there or many way to do this hibrid comes 2 mind here
    just cos some think pure is the best is why no way best for all

she told u all mag well let me give u the vit build instead

3vit 1str 6mag each 2 lv we dont reallly need more mag 2 use up 2 date weapon
    and the vit will help u take a little more beating comepare 2 pure
  • mulanrouge
    mulanrouge Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ^ clerics can dd just fine

builds:

9mag, 1 str
    8mag, 1 str, 1vit
    6mag, 1str, 3 vit

the above are the most common. most clerics generally will end up with a base of 50 vit (which also helps in some pdef). i for one did not add vit until about mid 70's then capped at 50, only to restat to 150 base vit for tw purposes. at higher levels you can refine enough to lower your vit to pump it back into mag (which is what i have done).

ultimately it is up to you and how you want to play. for some of the higher instances though you will need something extra by way of hp or pdef eventually.

also, clerics can make great solo classes since we can heal ourselves b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Don't forget to kite especially going full mag.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • galhas
    galhas Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    What sould i wear? Heavy, light or arcane armours?
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The debate is usually between Light vs Arcane. I say go arcane. However, I cannot speak for LA at lower levels since I've always been arcane, so take that opinion as you see fit.
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • LeLelle - Sanctuary
    LeLelle - Sanctuary Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    In addition to kiting, remember you can heal yourself.

Your stats and your armor go hand in hand. If you're doing full magic build, you will wear arcane armor. For light, you will need different stats (additional dex and str) to wear. Clerics probably shouldn't wear heavy armor.

I've heard it said that your first character should be full magic because it is easier to do.

Clerics are an important part of most parties. You should decide if that is going to be your main focus or if you really are interested in soloing quests and farming. As a support cleric, full magic will give you the most power in healing and buffing.

When talking about AOE grinding in Perfect World, clerics are the first class to come to mind. They have Razor Feathers, Sirens Kiss, and another skill I think.
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Wear arcane, and don't kite unless you have no other choice - I've only ever found it useful at lower levels against increased life / increased physical resistance mobs. Against normal mobs at worst you'll take 1-2 hits, easily tankable even without vit. If you take more, mix an IH into your attack scheme now and then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • Qlngfu - Archosaur
    Qlngfu - Archosaur Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    remember to lvl your apothecary skill and make as many mp powders as possibleb:cry
  • DeathBanana - Heavens Tear
    DeathBanana - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,674 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    lol u do knew in cleric description it dosen say a cleric is a DD we have ton of those alredy
    90% of ppl wana we dd and play all classes

*looks at plumeshot, cyclone, razor feathers, wield thunder, thunderball, siren's kiss, elemental seal, dimensional seal, RB, tempest, and metal mastery*
    *arches eyebrow*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9x Demon Cleric
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Wear arcane, and don't kite unless you have no other choice -

What is wrong with kiting if you got physical mob coming at you?You would do that vs a BM or Sin.
  • Lemuria - Harshlands
    Lemuria - Harshlands Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Wear arcane, and don't kite unless you have no other choice - I've only ever found it useful at lower levels against increased life / increased physical resistance mobs. Against normal mobs at worst you'll take 1-2 hits, easily tankable even without vit. If you take more, mix an IH into your attack scheme now and then.
    Light Armor offers considerably higher defense against physical damage, freeing up those precious equipment slots for HP rather than defense. That said, you do suffer slightly reduced MAG. Considering, however, that the bulk of your magical attack power comes from your weapon this is generally only a minor difference unless compared to "Pure Mag" builds which will have significantly higher damage, but far lower survivability.

And there is absolutely NO shame in kiting. There's a reason that spells like Great Cyclone have a slow effect added in! Use it to your advantage, keep your distance from strong enemies and use every skill in your arsenal. Anyone who lets themselves get hit when they can avoid it either has the HP to survive it or the potions to soak it up.

Plume Shield greatly enhances our physical defense, but at the cost of MP. At lower levels this is a bit pricey and until you reach sage/demon level skill you'll never have a 1:1 HP to MP ratio, so it can still cause issues if you're wearing arcane armor with extremely low defense. Without enough MP, Plume Shield cannot and WILL not absorb damage, leaving you at the mercy of the enemy without even so much as an Ironheart to heal yourself. Be careful not to overuse it unless you have an abundance of potions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tojop - Dreamweaver
    Tojop - Dreamweaver Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The only real problem you'll face for the first 60 levels or so is mana management; casting spells is *expensive*. I would do what others have said about apothecary and farm herbs. When running instances, bring some focus powders with you and you won't need to worry. The 3k and 6k mp over 30 seconds are fine for questing/grinding.

And you should never have to kite anything, ever (outside of pvp, obviously). If you go full magic, or even add some vitality, melee mobs will only get 1 or 2 hits on you anyways. Leave blessing of the purehearted at level 1, and use it in between mobs if you find that ironheart blessing is too mana intensive. Doing this has the added bonus of giving you chi for more sparks.

Clerics have a few good aoes, but not as good as some other classes. What separates us is the ability to heal/purify; this also allows for aoe grinding on poison mobs. Round up a bunch of mobs, keep stack healing/purifying yourself, then let loose your aoes.
  • Choze - Dreamweaver
    Choze - Dreamweaver Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    What is wrong with kiting if you got physical mob coming at you?You would do that vs a BM or Sin.

I wouldn't say there is anything wrong with kiting, but I agree with FatherTed in that I haven't had much/any need for it wearing arcane using a vit/mag build (roughly 7mag 2 vit 1 str). Yes we are squishy, but using IH allows me to fight most mobs my lvl wihtout the need to run around. I'd rather just stand there and laugh as I kill them instead of playing "tag" = )

And yeah, mana management is probably the hardest part of being a solo cleric. Become friends with the herbs, at least until you hit 75 for event food :)
  • DeathBanana - Heavens Tear
    DeathBanana - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,674 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Reasons why kiting isn't very needed as a cleric:

-We DD fast; most mobs can only get a couple hits on us
    ---Cyclone slows; more time to DD on a mob
    -We have IH; no need to kite, can live through many mobs pounding on us
    -It's faster; faster killing = more xp, sp, and coin when grinding

Reasons why kiting is *occasionally* useful as a cleric:

-It's cheaper; you'll have to cast those cyclones no matter what, may as well save a few hundred MP not using IH; cheaper = more money when questing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9x Demon Cleric
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The ONLY reason I can see kiting being useful on a regular basis is to save money, although you sacrifice time. I'm not trying to slight the people who do it - but if you have enough dexterity IRL to hit 3 buttons instead of 2, there's no reason to kite other than the instances I mentioned. Attack, attack, heal, attack attack, heal = mob dead. I see no reason to throw a bunch of running around into that.

As far as light armor - for PvE I can't imagine why people do it. I tried up to a mid level on an alt and it just sucked from every end. My phys res was a bit higher, but that only came into play cause I couldn't kill the mobs before they hit me. My crit rate was a bit higher, but I'll sacrifice crit rate for higher average damage and stronger heals. For PvP maybe - although I would tend more towards a higher vit arcane build, but I guess on that end it's personal preference.

Admittedly I'm pure PvE so I won't claim to give advice on TW clerics or clerics on PvP servers - but at level 94 I have 15 base vit (cause I can't afford the reset stone to get rid of 10 vit) and wear arcane armor, I almost never kite anything, and I almost never use plume shell . . . and if something can kill me it's usually because I wasn't paying attention.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The reason I say to learn how to kite is because it is essential in certain areas TW,Instances and at low lvls.I see Cleric always getting beaten on at Bamboo Village and Dreaming Stronghold as well as Broken Blow buff.This helps to avoid repair bills and you don't use your wasd keys to do this you use your mouse and click on the map.
    edited April 2010
    Options
    And again, I disagree completely with the idea that kiting is essential for grinding at any level . . . but as we are clearly not going to agree I won't keep repeating why I think that.

For the life of me I can't think of a single time I ever kited in an instance tho.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    Options
    And again, I disagree completely with the idea that kiting is essential for grinding at any level . . . but as we are clearly not going to agree I won't keep repeating why I think that.

For the life of me I can't think of a single time I ever kited in an instance tho.

You would if you played another rpg I play as spike from a Warrior can kill you in seconds as well as a Sin.Then when you have 8 mobs coming at you kiting is one way to stay alive.It is one way especially if you are pure mag with very low hps to stay alive in this game.
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Other games you have played have absolutely no bearing on this conversation. We aren't discussing other games, we are discussing clerics in PWI. PvP also has no direct bearing on this conversation as I was speaking about PvE/grinding.

If you have 8 mobs coming after you, kiting isn't as effective as flying away (or running away in an instance) If that's the case either you were careless (if grinding) or someone screwed up badly (in an instance.) Either way kiting isn't gonna save you - you either flee or die. Unless you are in a lower level instance as a higher level player in which case you just nuke the mobs and go about your business.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    Options
    you either flee or die.
    You said it here flee which is form of kiting or just die.I prefer not to be beaten on but I know what you are talking about when pve grinding on mobs just fire at them unless they are wolfen spear at Broken Blow Bluff.
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You said it here flee which is form of kiting or just die.I prefer not to be beaten on but I know what you are talking about when pve grinding on mobs just fire at them unless they are wolfen spear at Broken Blow Bluff.

Fleeing isn't kiting. In kiting, you intend to come back and kill the mob. In fleeing, you just run and hope they lose aggro without killing you first.

I've added about 15-20 vit on this character, and I can't think of a single time when I've felt the need to kite. I think it's just a playstyle difference though. I prefer to use IH and negate the damage than run so I'm not hit at all. Plus, I never really got the hang of kiting, so I tend to kite myself into more mobs. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I guess I just do it to keep my skill up for playing my other healer class so I know when to kite and where.
  • Tojop - Dreamweaver
    Tojop - Dreamweaver Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    In this game, kiting is for wizards, not clerics. Wizards have a fast channel aoe knockback skill, AND a teleport skill; kiting is virtually built into the class. All clerics have is cyclone, which slows a mob. I would much rather just keep blasting until the mob is dead, even if it means I have to use a heal, than try to run and cast a spell every 5 seconds or so. Seems like such a huge waste.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Wouldn't that be psychic or what are the names of the skills if you know.I was being beaten on this morning by Enhanced lvl 73 by Dreamweaver Port but didn't kite just through up Plume Shell for some protection so I would get hit.

btw.What prevents stun say from an say Torgrin or Foxwing etc?